Wine-Menu

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
peebee

Wine-Menu

#1 Post by peebee »

Attached is a small pet that tidies up the wine menu structure so that instead of having lots of wine entries scattered around the puppy menus there is just one entry under Utility which leads to a menu of all the wine programs.

The original wine .desktop files are used to dynamically create the new wine-menu.

This pet should be installed after installing green_dome/version2013's wine from here.

Uninstalling the wine-menu pet should restore the original menu structure.

The pet puts items into directory /opt
It probably works best under jwm (haven't tested it under other window managers).

Hope it is of use to people
Cheers
peebee
Attachments
wine_menu-1.pet
A small add-on to wine to tidy up the menu structure
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 1652 times
Last edited by peebee on Wed 10 Sep 2014, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jasper

#2 Post by Jasper »

Hi peebee,

A great idea, well executed. Works with my older version 1.2 of Wine and adjusts my JWM Menu in Slacko.

My regards and thanks

XP Refugee

wine pet

#3 Post by XP Refugee »

why would they make such a pet? how do I "turn it on" ? LxPup 14.3
clicked on an exe and got Mono on, but Gecko is taking FOREVER to download or is it install?

might be cuz I got it from ibiblio tahr page?

charbaby66

Re: Wine-Menu

#4 Post by charbaby66 »

peebee wrote: The pet puts items into directory /opt
Cheers
peebee
peebee strikes again! :D you always come up with something I find useful, and thank you :)

This will be so very helpful..but forgive a dumb question.. does it install to /opt or just what exactly does it put there?

maybe another dumb question too? is there a tool to find all places wine is installed, eg: lives, has files lurking -when wine was pre-installed to a pup so one can remaster it out??

how about another dumb question (3 times the charm?) if a sfs (teamviewer) has an older wine in it, that seems to conflict with that
newer pre-installed wine, can it (TV's wine) be upgraded or removed?

I don't necessarily expect you to have these answers or a ready pet to help, BTW :roll: but hoping someone might :D

Thank you for the fine work :) I'm off to grab this to answer the 1st question, I think :)
Puppy. You can choose to use it well. 8) Or well, choose not to use it. :wink: (I'm feelin' quite spiffy for thinking of that)
Of course there's always <mumble> RTFM :oops: RTFM :roll: RTFM :twisted: Funny I say that @ work and play equally often.

version2013

#5 Post by version2013 »

charbaby66 wrote:
peebee wrote: The pet puts items into directory /opt
Cheers
peebee
peebee strikes again! :D you always come up with something I find useful, and thank you :)

This will be so very helpful..but forgive a dumb question.. does it install to /opt or just what exactly does it put there?

maybe another dumb question too? is there a tool to find all places wine is installed, eg: lives, has files lurking -when wine was pre-installed to a pup so one can remaster it out??

how about another dumb question (3 times the charm?) if a sfs (teamviewer) has an older wine in it, that seems to conflict with that
newer pre-installed wine, can it (TV's wine) be upgraded or removed?

I don't necessarily expect you to have these answers or a ready pet to help, BTW :roll: but hoping someone might :D

Thank you for the fine work :) I'm off to grab this to answer the 1st question, I think :)
This is from a frugal install.

Example: wine-1.7.46-i486_v2.2.pet

To find the files that "wine-1.7.46-i486_v2.2.pet" installs, open text file:
/root/.packages/wine-1.7.46-i486_v2.2.files

In my frugal install of Lupu, there is also:
/root/.packages/builtin_files/

charbaby66

#6 Post by charbaby66 »

version2013 wrote:
This is from a frugal install.

Example: wine-1.7.46-i486_v2.2.pet

To find the files that "wine-1.7.46-i486_v2.2.pet" installs, open text file:
/root/.packages/wine-1.7.46-i486_v2.2.files

In my frugal install of Lupu, there is also:
/root/.packages/builtin_files/
Thank you version2013. I was tired &between reading the /root/.packages/*.files lists and hunt/peck removal, I think I missed a few last time I tried.

peebee, I did answer my own question 1. and found all your nice desktop files. I had been using the Favorites tool in PuppyBang to do manually what your pet does much more easily and quickly. LOL I installed your pet into a pup sans wine yet to take a peek :)

In penance for hijacking your thread, can I offer you some wine icons I picked up somewhere, sometime, and use blatantly? (I take no credit for them, but don't know whom to thank?) I don't have any icons showing in your Wine-Menu, maybe as I don't have Wine installed, but here's what I use when I'm wanting more than the default wine.png
Attachments
wineicons.tar.gz
I use these, but forgot where I got them. All credit and thanks to the maker.
(74.26 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
Puppy. You can choose to use it well. 8) Or well, choose not to use it. :wink: (I'm feelin' quite spiffy for thinking of that)
Of course there's always <mumble> RTFM :oops: RTFM :roll: RTFM :twisted: Funny I say that @ work and play equally often.

version2013

Re: wine pet

#7 Post by version2013 »

XP Refugee wrote:why would they make such a pet? how do I "turn it on" ? LxPup 14.3
clicked on an exe and got Mono on, but Gecko is taking FOREVER to download or is it install?

might be cuz I got it from ibiblio tahr page?
Different users, different preferences.

There are users that feel more menu entries are better.
There are users that feel above a certain threshold of entries it feels cluttered.

I figured I would start with no menu entries in the .pet.
If a user wanted menu entries, they could install another .pet
Or combine .pet(s) into a .sfs

Installing additional .pet(s) rather than removing the unwanted menu entries manually or via a script.

On my frugal install of Lupu, to update newly installed menu entries, run

Code: Select all

fixmenus

version2013

#8 Post by version2013 »

charbaby66 wrote:
On my frugal install of Lucid, there is a tool:
menu > Setup > Remove builtin packages

remaster reference

I remember there being a .pet somewhere on the forum that removes built-in packages.
Useful for when a puppy distro does not come with a built-in package that removes built-in packages.

Not sure where I found it, I will keep looking.

EDIT:
PET-Be-Gone v0.4
Install / uninstall Packages

Sorry for the continued thread hijacking.

XP Refugee

i found a command

#9 Post by XP Refugee »

but I had to click on every exe. in the .wine folder to get anything to come on. I mean ONE "on" switch in menu would be nice no?

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

XP Refugee,

Wine is not a program.
Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, Mac OSX, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.
There are several programs that are part of Wine.

Example:
Wine config
Explorer
Program Manager
Etc.....

Wine config is the main one to use. It allows you to fine tune how Wine will work.

To run a Windows program, you do not start Wine.
You start the Windows program and it runs using Wine.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)