A workable way to install skype 4.3 in puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
watchdog

#181 Post by watchdog »

I have built a pavucontrol (the standard pulseaudio mixer) pet in wary using misc libraries from official reps and debian lenny. It is for only testing purpouse but it works for me with skype in several puppies until tahr 6.02. It is intended for the guys who want to use skype with pulseaudio and not apulse. This pavucontrol does not work in all applications because the use of pulseaudio is not integrated in puppy but it is only a workaround to use skype. Link to pavucontrol-test.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

OscarTalks

#182 Post by OscarTalks »

My skype 4.3.0.37 packages were put together a few months ago and at that time apulse did not have support for selection of input and output devices.

It does have support for that now so I have compiled the latest source of apulse and uploaded new versions of Skype with apulse for Precise, Slacko (14.0 versions) and Dpup Wheezy.

Playback and capture devices can be selected by those environment variables APULSE_PLAYBACK_DEVICE and APULSE_CAPTURE_DEVICE so I have placed those in 2 lines in the launcher script /usr/bin/skype so if you need to switch devices (such as for a USB microphone) you just have to open that file as text, uncomment the line(s) and edit them (usually just changing one number will do it).

These apulse skypes are almost certainly now better than using the skypes with pulseaudio.

I have also added the Skype 2 menu entry so you can run a second instance of Skype with a different account if you want to. This launches via another script /usr/bin/skype2 with its own device selection lines and stores the user data in a separate directory /root/.Skype2
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

joejac

Skype do not see my laptop internal mic

#183 Post by joejac »

Hello and nice day.

I installed skype using the following instructions, I listen to the other person but he can not hear me, Any help is appreciated.
I have Puppy Slacko 5.7.0
Regards
joejac

watchdog wrote:I have built two packages working in wary (without glibc upgrade), precise and slacko.

pulseaudio-2.0.w53orig.pet:

https://copy.com/PhfFxjfuHcih

skype-4.3.0.37-w5orig.pet:

https://copy.com/WEd4aM21Ii1s

In all install the two packages in a live session and try:

Code: Select all

su spot
pulseaudio --start

watchdog

Re: Skype do not see my laptop internal mic

#184 Post by watchdog »

joejac wrote:Hello and nice day.

I installed skype using the following instructions, I listen to the other person but he can not hear me, Any help is appreciated.
I have Puppy Slacko 5.7.0
Regards
joejac

watchdog wrote:I have built two packages working in wary (without glibc upgrade), precise and slacko.

pulseaudio-2.0.w53orig.pet:

https://copy.com/PhfFxjfuHcih

skype-4.3.0.37-w5orig.pet:

https://copy.com/WEd4aM21Ii1s

In all install the two packages in a live session and try:

Code: Select all

su spot
pulseaudio --start
I suggest to use the latest skype by OscarTalks:

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/skype-4. ... ko14.0.pet

You are using obsolete packages.

joejac

#185 Post by joejac »

Thank you for your answer watchdog,

I uninstalled both:
pulseaudio-2.0.w53orig.pet and skype-4.3.0.37-w5orig.pet
using the Puppy Package Manager
Then I installed: skype-4.3.0.37-apulse-slacko14.0.pet

I noticed in the Internet Menu 2 items:

Skype 2 do not have my contact list, it does nothing
Skype has my contact list but when trying to make a test call it do not work, the ringing tone is never heard, and the call is never answered. now is worst no audio and no mic.

I checked with AlsaMixer V 1.0.26 and Headphones, Speaker and Mic are all at 100% so What can I do?
Thanks
joejac

watchdog

#186 Post by watchdog »

joejac wrote: Then I installed: skype-4.3.0.37-apulse-slacko14.0.pet

I noticed in the Internet Menu 2 items:

Skype 2 do not have my contact list, it does nothing
Skype has my contact list but when trying to make a test call it do not work, the ringing tone is never heard, and the call is never answered. now is worst no audio and no mic.

I checked with AlsaMixer V 1.0.26 and Headphones, Speaker and Mic are all at 100% so What can I do?
Thanks
joejac
I have not already tested OscarTalks' package. You should read his post (and possibly the whole thread):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 572#844572

I think setting right the APULSE_PLAYBACK_DEVICE and APULSE_CAPTURE_DEVICE in /usr/bin/skype should do the trick for your hardware. Skype2 menu entry is a secondary instance of skype if you have multiple accounts. You could consider more simple to use my following package which I use in slacko 5.7:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 291#800291

https://copy.com/S44XMT3tvbKF

Before testing skype make sure yourself have properly set your alsa testing with mhwavedit: when playing and recording work in mhwavedit they should work in skype, too. I suggest to test in a live before installing in your frugal install.

dkempel

#187 Post by dkempel »

Hello,

I am trying to run skype on puppy precise 5.7.1 live cd (from a usb). Is it enough to download and install the file skype-4.3.0.37-apulse-precise.sfs from OscarTalk?

I have tried that and I have also tried the official downloads from skype, but even if a skype logo appears in the menu the program doesn't start.

I am new to linux, running puppy precise from usb instead of my failed windows disk as a temporary solution.

I would appreciate any guidance or step-by-step instructions.

Thanks.

OscarTalks

#188 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello dkempel,

Are you booting a live CD with save-file on a USB stick or do you mean you are booting Puppy from the USB flash drive?

Anyway, the Skype package should work. If it is the .sfs you should be loading it via boot manager or sfs-load-on-the-fly. If it is the .pet you can click on it to install it. There should be 2 menu entries, Skype and Skype 2 (for a second instance if you want it, otherwise just ignore that second one).

If it doesn't start from the menu then try opening a terminal, typing skype and pressing enter and report any error messages.
Oscar in England

dkempel

#189 Post by dkempel »

Many thanks for the quick reply!

The installation now works and Skype is opening.
I think I did the exact similar thing as in previous failed attempts, I don't know what is different now, but it works for me :)

It is very convenient with these files.

To answer your question, I am booting from a USB to turn my laptop into a temporary workstation. The experience with linux has been great so far.

baszek

#190 Post by baszek »

Hello
I have puppy Tahrpup with skype from oscar talks (skype-4.3.0.37-apulse-lucid.pet). I have configured it to use mic from logitech camera and it works, but after some time 3 to 5 minutes (sometimes longer) voice recording from mic stops and person with whom I am talking cant hear me (I have to stop skype call and start it again). I can add that at the same time video recording from camera is working.

Do you have a clue what is going on ? I was using this camera with older skype version and there was no such a problems at all.

OscarTalks

#191 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello baszek,

With TahrPup I believe there is a Skype in Quickpet. Make sure you update everything and then try using that rather than the Lucid version.

I am not sure about the problem of things stopping after a few minutes but if you are recording audio and video that can be a large amount of data and I wonder if perhaps you are filling up your save-file or something. Try making sure the recording is being saved in a location outside the save-file such as under /mnt/home.
Oscar in England

drblock2

Skype Sound cuts out after a few minutes

#192 Post by drblock2 »

I now have the same problem as baszek: Skype sound on mic fails after 3 to 5 minutes. Speaker sound still works as does video in both directions.

When I hang up and call back, mic sound is restored - for another 3 to 5 minutes.

Strangely, I Skyped for two hours with the same equipment (on both sides) a week earlier without this problem arising.

I noticed that there are several data bases in /root/.Skype. If the problems lies here, it is easy enough to fix. Just move the .Skype directory outside the save file, e.g., to /mnt/home and create a symbolic link back to /root.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to try this out until the end of the week.

In any case, other versions of Skype have this hidden directory in /root, but I have never had this problem before. Also, the personal storage space icon in the tray did not flash red as is the case when you are about to exhaust the capacity of your save file.

I am using skype-4.3.0.37-apulse-slacko14.0.sfs with Slacko 5.7 on an Acer Aspire One netbook.

Perhaps, I should add: I was not attempting to record anything - just a normal Skype video conversation.

baszek

#193 Post by baszek »

So I have moved /root/.Skype to /mnt/home and made that symbolic link, but it does not work also. My personal space for pup is also enough - 1gb free space.
I have not idea what is wrong with skype. Sound stops after 2-3 minutes during normal skype call (conversation).

drblock2

Skype mic cuts out after random time

#194 Post by drblock2 »

@baszek Yesterday, I finally had a chance to test moving the skype directories out of root and discovered as you did that it doesn't help. I haven't had a chance to post until now.

I also tried googling "Skype linux mic cuts out after random time" and discovered that this is a long-term, cross-platform problem going back at least five years. There was very little by way of helpful solutions.

One intriguing suggestions was that the mic doesn't cut out at all, rather automatic muting cuts in for no reason at all. I have not had a chance to test this.

I think the problem may be in someway hardware dependent. My little Acer "Perspire" did not have mic sound at all with the earlier version of Skype 4.3 that required a separate loading of pulse audio. The new apulse version worked right out of the box - except that it developed the problem we've been discussing.

For the moment, I have gone back to using my ThinkPad R400 which plays nicely with both old an new versions of Skype 4.3.

Possible workaround: When your conversation partner says "Can't hear you," hang up and call back. You should get an immediate connection. This is hardly optimal, but, if you only have one computer . . . .

greengeek

Re: Skype mic cuts out after random time

#195 Post by greengeek »

drblock2 wrote: One intriguing suggestions was that the mic doesn't cut out at all, rather automatic muting cuts in for no reason at all. I have not had a chance to test this..
Do you still get the same problem if you go into Skype options (audio) and untick the "allow skype to adjust my volume settings" (or similar wording)?

drblock2

#196 Post by drblock2 »

greengeek wrote:
Do you still get the same problem if you go into Skype options (audio) and untick the "allow skype to adjust my volume settings" (or similar wording)?
Excellent suggestion. I will try this out as soon as I can and report back.

drblock2

#197 Post by drblock2 »

@greengeek

Finally got a chance to try this out. Unfortunately, no go. Sound cuts out as before.

I will try experimenting with fixed settings for mic input.

baszek

#198 Post by baszek »

Yeah - it is not working at my pc also.

peebee

#199 Post by peebee »

drblock2 wrote:Unfortunately, no go. Sound cuts out as before.
I will try experimenting with fixed settings for mic input.
I also have this problem where Skype mic input cuts out after a period of time on a call.....video continues OK.........mic returns if call is closed down and restarted.

What can we do to track down the cause of this?

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

CatDude

#200 Post by CatDude »

Hi
peebee wrote:I also have this problem where Skype mic input cuts out after a period of time on a call.....video continues OK.........mic returns if call is closed down and restarted.
I have the same problem too, the period before audio cuts out seems to be completely random.
peebee wrote:What can we do to track down the cause of this?
I would like to know the answer to that myself.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]