2.13 Beta bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
Lobster
Official Crustacean

2.13 Beta bugs

#1 Post by Lobster »

When using MUT and unmounting a device, I sometimes find all the desktop icons dissapear and have to restart X to get them back.

Can anyone pinpoint this?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

If it's anything like 2.4.1 then it most likely happens when you have a directory open in ROX that resides on the partition you are unmounting at the time.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Hmm, I wonder if we should change the "drives" icon on the desktop to use Pmount, as MUT is not really being maintained.
In Pmount, a ROX window open on a partition that is to be unmounted is first closed before the unmount.

Previously known as Guest

#4 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Briefly tested on hardware & in vmware. Can't seem to get xvesa to load, it defaults to Xorg by default & gives error when trying to run Xvesa wizard.

alienjeff

kernel panic

#5 Post by alienjeff »

First and second blush with 2.13beta

downloaded iso
md5sum checked iso - okay
burned iso as "leave open"
checked burn - okay

Booted from CD on Tyan 600MHz P-III, 384M RAM, a machine which has run on a multitude of Puppy versions.

1st boot: puppy pfix=ram, 2nd boot: puppy pfix=ram acpi=off; same result as follows,

Code: Select all

Now executing 'init' script in initial-ramdisk...
Copying pup_213.sfs to tmpfs...mounting on (initrd)/pup_ro2...failed
Dumping last lines of /tmp/bootinit.log...
mount: /dev/hdd is write-protected, mounting read-only
reading '/mnt/dev/_ro1/pup_213.sfs': Input/output error
mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 on /pup_ro2 failed: Invalid argument
Dumping last lines of kernel log...
attempt to access beyond end of device
loop0: rw=0, want=133144, limit=112608
SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block 0x1040b
SQUASHFS error: unable to read uid/gid table
Pausing for 60 seconds...
Mounting tmpfs; on (initrd)/pup_rw...				done
Creating unionfs on (initrd)/pup_new (to become '/')...		done
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

[/code]
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

John Doe

#6 Post by John Doe »

BarryK wrote:In Pmount, a ROX window open on a partition that is to be unmounted is first closed before the unmount.
I'm pretty sure MUT does the same. I only know about this because I remember a post about it (PizzaIsGood, I think) from when they were working on it for PuppyCE. I always remaster with 2.4.1 and see this behaviour all the time (I'm daft at closing windows). I'll test PMount too, but my puppy machine is running T2 right now and I don't want to restart X or even take the CD out :-)

btw, the desktop background color selector is busted (pictures work). Although that's to be expected with the ROX upgrade.

AND I LOVE THE NEW FONTS!! The web is so crisp again.

kirk

#7 Post by kirk »

The pure-ftpd launch script needs to be updated. The one in 2.13 beta has a problem. The -k option seems to conflict with the -A option. So the -k option has been removed. The updated package is here:

http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1163553598

This Puppy is sure looking pretty!

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Lobster wrote:When using MUT and unmounting a device, I sometimes find all the desktop icons dissapear and have to restart X to get them back.

Can anyone pinpoint this?
John Doe wrote:If it's anything like 2.4.1 then it most likely happens when you have a directory open in ROX that resides on the partition you are unmounting at the time.
That happens in Pizzapup A.T.E. also, and I assume any Puppy that uses the new Rox. When you unmount a partition with MUT, it attempts to close all windows that are browsing inside that partition. With the old Rox, I think it always just closed those windows, but today, with the new Rox, I noticed it closing all Rox windows. It's probably some incompatible parameter or something.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

pakt

Re: 2.13 Beta bugs

#9 Post by pakt »

Lobster wrote:When using MUT and unmounting a device, I sometimes find all the desktop icons dissapear and have to restart X to get them back.
Yes, "all the desktop icons dissapear". Lobster was talking about icons, not windows disappearing. This happened to me a few times in 2,12, and it was in connection with using MUT (iirc, when I was unmounting a device).

Restarting JWM didn't help, but re-starting X fixed it. So this is not unique to 2.13b.

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

alienjeff, did you type the above or was copied and pasted?
There's stuff missing from that line.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

I have never had the desktop icons disappear, not ever on any version
of Puppy. But I always use Pmount. So, it's a MUT issue.

pakt

#12 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote:Hmm, I wonder if we should change the "drives" icon on the desktop to use Pmount, as MUT is not really being maintained.
In Pmount, a ROX window open on a partition that is to be unmounted is first closed before the unmount.
MUT also closes windows first on a parttion that it is unmounting. I've seen that work many times when I have forgotten to close them first.

Having said that, Dougal has been improving the code in Pmount, making it more efficient and thereby much faster. I'm going to test a new version he has sent me today. His previous version had a small bug. The speed difference was especially noticeble on the eBox. If we get this stable, I think we should have the desktop icon point to Pmount instead of MUT.

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

zigbert

#13 Post by zigbert »

I have checked PuppyBackup with 2.13. With Xdialog and gtk2 it all looks better than before. Gtk2 displays Xdialog different, and it gives some windows-display-issues, but it also happend strange things. When I try to start burning with an "old" CD (a cd that is not blank or not multisession), Puppy completely freeze.

If you instead run PuppyBackup through a terminal, you get past the freeze-point where cdrecords checks media. The terminal are bombed with the message:

(Xdialog:7261):Pango-warning **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
But, even if output-data is not sent to Xdialog, the system hangs.

Firefox

Burning 2.13 Multi on CD

#14 Post by Firefox »

Hi everyone
Downloaded 2.13 in puppy 2.12 HDisk install. The number of megabytes of the same file is reported as diferent from the original and also in the burn and this freaks me out. Dont know where if any of the missing megabytes are. I dont know how to check the file against the md5 sum there no script or button to do this or tell me the download is fine and I can burn with confidence. I put a blank cd in burner and used burniso2cd in multi mode for the first time (used windows XP before) and it burnt the same as described by alienjeff with kernal panic. Is it a bad download?. In the past I would have said yes and waited another 4 hours for another try whilst wondering how far I could throw the machine out of the window. Anyway I tried another blank disk and this time used the normal burn as against "abnormal" multi. This time it got further along but stopped at device problem. I took the cd from my burner which is attached as slave on ide cable one, and put the cd into my dvd readonly drive which is the master on ide cable 2 and rebooted. It worked!!. However when I clicked on the xorg box the screen went very dull, same problem as reported in 2.12. I assume most people are using fancy laptops now rather than an old Tiny CRT monitor that I`m using.

alienjeff

#15 Post by alienjeff »

BarryK wrote:

alienjeff, did you type the above or was copied and pasted?
There's stuff missing from that line.
Hi Barry and thanks for the response!

That was the screen display on my desktop which I faithfully typed into a text file on my lappy ... triple checked. I just rebooted the desktop again w/2.13 to confirm.

For what it's worth, I also tried 2.13beta on the laptop with the exact same results.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Pizzasgood

#16 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yes, "all the desktop icons dissapear". Lobster was talking about icons, not windows disappearing.
The icons are a part of Rox. If all of Rox is killed, then so are the icons.
rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin will revive the desktop with the new Rox.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

In 2.12, I noticed that sometimes when I close a window the icons on the desktop all disappear for a moment, but they have always come back on their own. I hadn't realized it isn't supposed to do that. :lol:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Kal

Starting ROX

#18 Post by Kal »

Rox is not starting on a reboot for me. Something wrong in .xinitrc, so I changed it out for 2.12's .xinitrc and it's all right for now. I think Pizzagood is right.
Kal

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I'll be testing the Xorg Wizard on a wider range of hardware,
particularly old PCs, over the next few days.
I have been away from home, and at home I have Out house table stacked
high with old PCs!

kirk

#20 Post by kirk »

Maybe this is just disabled for beta, but if you put the pup_213.sfs file on the same partition as the pup_save.2fs file, Pupppy still loads the pup_213.sfs from CD when booting.