slacko-6.0 beta 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
B.K. Johnson

#781 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee
I have a copy of the 5.9.3.iso and have downloaded @rcrsn51's ndiswrapper pet.
I'll test later tonight and report.
Thanks for your interest

B.K. Johnson

#782 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee
The pet installed in 5.9.3 OK and I was able to get on-line with Firefox.
I did nothing else.

___________________________-
B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

jamesbond

#783 Post by jamesbond »

@01micko - Slacko6 5.9.3 will become 32bit-slacko6.sfs, the new 32-bit compatibility library for Fatdog64 700.

Thanks.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Pelo

alsamixer and retrovol

#784 Post by Pelo »

Micro and capture are not activated whan whe change the settings in alsamixer, both should fit together, no ?
Attachments
capture.png
(22.6 KiB) Downloaded 1600 times

musher0

Re: alsamixer and retrovol

#785 Post by musher0 »

Pelo wrote:Micro and capture are not activated whan whe change
the settings in alsamixer, both should fit together, no ?
Hi, pelo.

No, microphone and capture are two separate things.

The microphone slider is for when you use a microphone, i.e. when you
are going to dictate something to your secretary, or when you want to
speak to someone over an Internet chat.

The capture slider is for when you record a song, for ex., that is playing
in mplayer, or through a flux stream (from Internet radio, for ex.),
to a separate sound file that you want to keep for your own personal use.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

peebee

Building Slacko-5.9.3 with woof-ce

#786 Post by peebee »

Hi Mick

I've had a go at rebuilding Slacko-5.9.3 using woof-ce just to have a go at using woof-ce...............

I've managed to get as far as the Build Packages tab in woof_gui - i.e. the download of packages has occurred.

I get the following error report about missing packages:
ERROR: packages-pet/dropbear-0.52-i486.pet does not exist.
(Generic name: dropbear)

ERROR: packages-pet/dropbear_DOC-0.52-i486.pet does not exist.
(Generic name: dropbear)

ERROR: packages-pet/gmeasures-0.7.pet does not exist.
(Generic name: gmeasures)

ERROR: 'guess_fs' package does not exist.

ERROR: packages-pet/sfs_manager-0.8.pet does not exist.
(Generic name: sfs_manager)

ERROR: packages-pet/wv_DOC-1.2.5-w52.pet does not exist.
(Generic name: wv)

ERROR: packages-pet/x264_DEV-2.012-i686.pet does not exist.
(Generic name: x264)

ERROR: packages-pet/z_fixcache-0.1ff-noarch.pet does not exist.
(Generic name: z_fixcache)
I've managed to track down:
  • dropbear-0.53.1.pet
    dropbear_DOC-0.53.1.pet
    guess_fs-20130215-x86-static.pet
    wv_DOC-1.2.5-w52.pet
    gmeasures-0.7.pet
    z_fixcache-0.1ff-noarch.pet
although it is a bit of a mystery as to why some of them weren't downloaded in the first place?

I've failed to locate:
  • sfs_manager-0.8.pet (only 0.7 seems to be in the repositories)
    x264_DEV-2.012-i686.pet
Package guess_fs fails to build even in I put guess_fs-20130215-x86-static.pet into the packages-pet directory....still says it can't be found

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sat 27 Jun 2015, 12:46, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#787 Post by 01micko »

Hi Peter,

At that time, I was very busy with other stuff and probably missed uploading critical packages and configs.

Give it a week or three and things should be back in order.

Follow the woof-CE conversations on GitHub. There has been plenty of activity in the last couple of weeks with some radical updates to kernel-kit, big improvements in firmware and lots of other low level stuff from the likes of mavrothal, gyro, zigbert and iguleder.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

#788 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:Give it a week or three and things should be back in order.
Thanks Mick - that's good news.

I'd still like to pursue my woof-ce adventure to a conclusion - I've completed the build of an iso even though the packages are missing and it boots and runs.

guess_fs sounds as though it might be critical - it can't be found and built even if I put the .pet into packages-pet - my built system does however contain guess_fstype

I'm also getting a segfault with freememapplet_tray so something's wrong there....

Other than that my rebuilt 5.9.3 seems to be working OK (on limited testing).

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Rand

Unable to save settings in gnome-mplayer

#789 Post by Rand »

Hi, on a clean install of Slacko 5.9.3pae; I am unable to save user settings in gnome-mplayer. When running gnome-mplayer from the command line; I get the following message:
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

Any advice on how to fix this problem.

rg66

Re: Unable to save settings in gnome-mplayer

#790 Post by rg66 »

Rand wrote:Hi, on a clean install of Slacko 5.9.3pae; I am unable to save user settings in gnome-mplayer. When running gnome-mplayer from the command line; I get the following message:
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

Any advice on how to fix this problem.
Install dconf from the repo. That fixed the same problem with Mousepad text editor.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#791 Post by Lobster »

Over the last few years I have been mostly using Slacko (and an Ipad) as an end user. Slacko is fast and reliable because of the base used (Slackware).

I patiently await the release of the final Slacko knowing it will retain the speed to run on the 32 bit laptop I currently run on.

Unusually (for me) I am running from a frugal hardware install as it knocks about ten seconds off boot up.

Our developers and testers are to be appreciated :D Thanks to Mick and the whole team ... I am not testing ... sorry ...

A point that may be of interest:
I think it is Tahrpup that puts up a warning that my battery is about to run out of juice. As an option this is useful because if the battery just goes then Puppy has to go through a lengthy test integrity procedure. Don't know if that is in 6.00 but it has saved a sudden crash during watching a movie several times ...
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

666philb

#792 Post by 666philb »

peebee wrote:
01micko wrote:
I'm also getting a segfault with freememapplet_tray so something's wrong there....

Cheers
Peter
hi peebee ,

i think you need to use gyros one with the latest woof-ce http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 431e659c60
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Billtoo

slacko-6.0 beta 2

#793 Post by Billtoo »

New install to a 16gb flash drive, pc is an Acer Aspire laptop.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Wed 22 Jul 2015 on Slacko Puppy 5.9.3 Linux 3.4.94 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: PARK 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.13397 Core Profile Context 15.20.1046

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz
Core 0: @1199 1: @1199 2: @1199 3: @1199 MHz

Using FbBox-2.0

Working well so far.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(96.69 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
screenshot.jpg
(51.2 KiB) Downloaded 402 times

nubc

#794 Post by nubc »

Running Slacko 5.9.3 as live CD. When I stream a YouTube video, I get the advisory message that I am using an older version of Firefox (24.6.0), for which support will soon be dropped. A newer version of FF is the primary reason I would upgrade my Slacko OS. While the YT player worked, I also received a pop-up about installing Flash Player. When I clicked to install, it did not install, but I was instead re-directed to Adobe website to download the program, the Linux version of which there was a choice of 4 formats.
Last edited by nubc on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

Rope

#795 Post by Rope »

nubc wrote:Running Slacko 5.9.3 as live CD. When I stream a YouTube video, I get the advisory message that I am using an older version of Firefox (24,6,0), for which support will soon be dropped. A newer version of FF is the primary reason I would upgrade my Slacko OS. While the YT player worked, I also received a pop-up about installing Flash Player. When I clicked to install, it did not install, but I was instead re-directed to Adobe website to download the program, the Linux version of which there was a choice of 4 formats.
Download Firefox
http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/moz ... inux-i686/
and install in a folder in home or opt

All sites will tell you your browser is old but that does not mean it does not work.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

nubc

#796 Post by nubc »

I don't have a Home folder, so I downloaded FF 39.0 to a new folder named 'FF' in the opt directory, as suggested. I extracted the tarball to this folder, which generated a folder named 'Firefox'. I opened the 'Firefox' folder to find an executable named Firefox, clicked it, and got Firefox ESR 24.6.0, the old version that comes standard on Slacko 5.9.3.

Question: Why is the team struggling to get this version out, when it has a browser that is already recognized as too old? In the past, I spent 2 weeks trying to manually install a newer Seamonkey on an older Puppy version. Then when I presented the documentation, one of the old saws pointed out an easier, presumably better, way. So here we are, with a beta of the newest Slacko, and the first task is manually installing a newer version of Firefox. Shouldn't the browser have a higher priority than this, in a brand new version of Slacko, moving from 5.x to 6.x?

Semme

#797 Post by Semme »

Wanna see 39? Rename the hidden Firefox folder in your /root directory, then refire the new binary.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#798 Post by nubc »

Nope, another Firefox folder was generated in the hidden .mozilla directory. Matter of fact, I also renamed the .mozilla folder, and another .mozilla directory was generated in root. Still opens FF ESR 24.6.0. Haven't seen FF 39.0 yet.

Semme

#799 Post by Semme »

Then there's something I don't know about.
Last edited by Semme on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#800 Post by nubc »

Semme wrote:How are you launching the one in /opt?

Single left click on gear symbol named firefox. I also tried to open it from command line, same result.