Can't get "GetFlash" to work in Lupu 5.2.8 [SOLVED!]

Booting, installing, newbie
Javelin Dan

Can't get "GetFlash" to work in Lupu 5.2.8 [SOLVED!]

#1 Post by Javelin Dan »

Running Lupu 5.2.8 on an old Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop.

I've tried almost every official Puppy linux distro, many in several different version releases, and NOTHING runs better than Lupu 5.2.8 on this old geezer. I love TahrPup and it's ability to update and have it installed on several other computers, but had a few issues with it on this old coal burner. I resigned myself to the notion that if I installed a newer version of Firefox (version 13 from here: http://mirror.vcu.edu/pub/gnu_linux/pup ... ges-lucid/) that would allow manual updates from the Help menu, and be able to run the GetFlash updater, that I would have things pretty much whipped till they resolve this Flash thing.

However, after trying several different releases of Lupu 5.2.8 and trying both the Internet Connection Wizard and installing Frisbee, GetFlash always fails showing the message: "Failed to connect to server. Please check your internet connection." In all cases, the internet is of course up and running and I am able to download and install all types of software. I've tried this with Flash installed or not - makes no difference. Anybody have any idea why this isn't working for me?
Last edited by Javelin Dan on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

#2 Post by darry1966 »

Hi Javelin,

Welcome to the forums.

You can manually update Puppies flash by using flash .pets from here>>>

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84267

If the Flash11 doesn't work use the flash 10.pet as 11 doesn't work on some older machines. Oscartalks keeps an eye on latest releases.

Sylvander

Re: Can't get "GetFlash" to work in Lupu 5.2.8

#3 Post by Sylvander »

Javelin Dan wrote:GetFlash always fails showing the message: "Failed to connect to server. Please check your internet connection."
I was getting this when my version of firefox [17] was old.
When I updated to firefox-38.0.5, the problem no longer appeared.
I can only guess that GetFlash uses the default web browser to connect and fetch, and that browser needs to be an up-to-date version.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

They keep moving the Flash server.
You need to be using the latest version of Getflash.
Getflash
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 869#835869
(make sure to download the newest version)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Javelin Dan

#5 Post by Javelin Dan »

Thanks to all who replied. Yeah, I fired up my live CD of TahrPup after my post and had the same problem. But I was using Firefox 13 before I updated and I don't know how old the version of GetFlash was on there. In case you're wondering, when I tried to load Firefox from the Quick Pets menu, it failed on this computer - worked fine on two other much newer ones. The native Pale Moon browser doesn't work either; gives me a message about needing a different processor. Slimboat works but crashes a lot. I will most certainly try fully updating Firefox and grabbing the most recent version of GetFlash. I'll get back in a couple of days and let you know...

Javelin Dan

#6 Post by Javelin Dan »

OK, didn't think I'd get time to fool with this till at least tomorrow, but had some time today and here's what I did...

I really wanted TahrPup to work all all along and got thinking that maybe the reason that Firefox wouldn't install from Quick Pet was because Pale Moon and the old Dell weren't getting along and I basically had no internet at that point. So I fired up TahrPup again, Installed it, rebooted, and immediately installed Firefox 13 which I now had on a flashdrive.I then allowed Firefox to update completely to the current version (38.0.5?) per Sylvander's suggestion. I wasn't sure if I needed some version of Flash to be installed first or not, but I used darry1966's link to install the latest version of Flash available there. Still not sure if this was necessary, but I do know GetFlash always compares the newest version it can find to whatever you have installed.I then used bigpup's link to install the latest version of GetFlash. Eureka - it worked! GetFlash found my internet connection and found an even newer version of Flash than the one found in darry1966's link. I now have an up to date browser and the latest, greatest version of Flash; for whatever that's worth.

Thanks again to all who helped. I'll spank this puppy and put it to bed by marking it "solved"!

Javelin Dan

#7 Post by Javelin Dan »

I just wanted to add a post script to this thread. It turns out darry1966 was indeed right - versions of Flash 11 and above did not work with this ancient machine. Asking it to play Flash videos with versions of 11 would result in immediate crashes of the browser. Installing 10 point-something (10.8.3?) gave me back a usable machine. Still a little hurky-jerky, and I can't use resolution any higher than 240 DPI or I end up with a slide show, but it is what it is and basically works on this old computer; a miracle unto itself.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

If you want smooth just get mp4 downloader or a similar browser add on... you get the mp4..its smooth and ok full screen.

For sites other than you tube there may also be addon support...for many i find disabling flash gives me an mp4 download anyway.

mike