X-Tahr-2.0 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
siklopz

#21 Post by siklopz »

So far, I've seen an issue with the package manager. It seem to lock for a moment after downloading the update for the first repository. The other problem I've had is the save file seems not to load at boot. Has anyone else had either of these issues???

Edit: Pay no attention to the noob. I had Studio 1337, on an SD card, on my testing machine. Somehow, I loaded X-Tahr onto the SD, and the machine was confusing the two. I moved the USB drive to my other testing machine, and all is well.

I still, however, have the package manager issue. I've also noticed that the shutdown dialog initiated from the Whisker Menu only shuts off the panel. I have to use the dialog initiated from the right-click menu to fully shut down the system.

Billtoo

X-tahr-1b1 beta

#22 Post by Billtoo »

Installed to a 16gb flashdrive.

Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 3.14.20 (i686)
Version #1 SMP Thu Jan 8 13:19:06 GMT 2015
C Library GNU C Library version 2.19 (stable)
Distribution tahrpup - 6.0.2
Current Session
Computer Name Puppy-PC
User Name root (root)
Home Directory /root
Desktop Environment XFCE 4
Misc
Uptime 2 minutes
Load Average 0.49, 0.17, 0.06

Display
Resolution 3840x1080 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.15.1

OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer AMD Radeon HD 8570
Version 4.4.13372 Compatibility Profile Context 15.101.1001
Direct Rendering Yes

Updated PPM and added kdegames.
Downloaded and installed the newest proprietary ati driver.

Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(61.06 KiB) Downloaded 1228 times

Marv

#23 Post by Marv »

siklopz wrote:So far, I've seen an issue with the package manager. It seem to lock for a moment after downloading the update for the first repository.

I still, however, have the package manager issue. I've also noticed that the shutdown dialog initiated from the Whisker Menu only shuts off the panel. I have to use the dialog initiated from the right-click menu to fully shut down the system.
I've only opened the PPM a couple of times and it 'seemed' ready to go when I was. Could it be a bandwidth issue? My connection is ok but not blazing at 1.5 MB/sec.

I use WhiskerMenu>Logout>shutdown and WhiskerMenu>Logout>Reboot and both do work on this core 2 duo laptop. I also have a panel launcher which calls shutdown-gui in /usr/bin and that works normally also. I'll try this on my other machines as I get to them. Machine dependence?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

siklopz

#24 Post by siklopz »

Could be, but I've tried it on a Dell mini 9, with 2 GB RAM, and a Dell Latitude 2100, also 2GB RAM. Both use a 1.6 GHz atom processor, with hyperthreading, so maybe it's the processor, or maybe I just need to reinstall and try again. I've had it happen with both kernels, and my internet is about 4 MB/s (and too damned expensive). I'll test further and see if anything comes up. Either way, I love this release.

On the plus side, I traded the Whisker Menu for Tilda terminal (both use around 1% of my RAM, according to Conky), and it's running on around 70-75 MB RAM at boot.
Attachments
Screenshot(3).png
(221.86 KiB) Downloaded 1169 times

rg66

#25 Post by rg66 »

siklopz wrote:I still, however, have the package manager issue. I've also noticed that the shutdown dialog initiated from the Whisker Menu only shuts off the panel. I have to use the dialog initiated from the right-click menu to fully shut down the system.
I haven't seen any PPM issues at all. Shutdown from whisker or from right click execute the same script, /usr/bin/wmpoweroff. If only the panel is killed it sounds like you somehow have the original tahr (or maybe Studio 1337?) shutdown script. Line 48-51 should be commented out.

Code: Select all

#if [ "`pidof xfce4-panel`" != "" ];then
 #kill `pidof xfce4-panel`
 #exit
#fi
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

siklopz

#26 Post by siklopz »

I started over again with a completely different USB drive. I'm still having the same problems with the original, but the new one is perfectly normal. I have no idea what happened. Thanks for the swift reply.

I should know, the more variables you change, the more can go wrong. Better to start with small changes to see what works.

siklopz

#27 Post by siklopz »

I examined the script you mentioned, and commented out the lines suggested. The caveat, the lines mentioned show up as 41-45, in my script (and there's an extra line). When commented out, it fails to shut down at all.

Note: I was wrong originally, the first use of the menu shutdown script killed the XFCE panel. I had to use the right-click menu shutdown the second time, because it was the only one i could access. It became apparent, after testing, that I had to shut down twice to kill the system, no matter which method was used.)

lines 41-45
only 42 was commented out

41 #if [ "`pidof xfce4-panel`" != "" ];then
42 #killall xfce4-panel
43 #kill `pidof xfce4-panel`
44 #exit
45 #fi

I've examined the script in the second install, and found it to be identical to the original you've described. I have no clue what may have caused the change. Thanks for the help. I'll start over again, and watch that script for any changes as i set it up. That might let me know what went wrong.

Edit: I found the problem. I installed Pupsaveconfig 2.2.6, because i wanted a swapfile. The program changed the shutdown script, as soon as it was installed. I'll just have to install a swapfile manually...or simply replace the new shutdown script with the original.

rg66

#28 Post by rg66 »

siklopz wrote:Edit: I found the problem. I installed Pupsaveconfig 2.2.6, because i wanted a swapfile. The program changed the shutdown script, as soon as it was installed. I'll just have to install a swapfile manually...or simply replace the new shutdown script with the original.
Pupsaveconfig isn't compatible with the "save to folder" that has been introduced recently. It used to be included with X-precise and X-slacko but still had to be edited to comment out the xfce4-panel lines. When I included "save to folder" in X-slacko, I also added the same features as pupsaveconfig had (-0=Never, 0=At shutdown, +0=Ask at shutdown). They will be added to the next release .

As far as I know, pupsaveconfig doesn't have anything to do with swapfile but replacing the shutdown script will cause even more problems as it has pupsaveconfig specific commands in it, it's best to just uninstall it.

siklopz

#29 Post by siklopz »

I came up with, more or less the same idea. I installed x-tahr to a fresh USB drive, copied the unaltered /usr/bin/wmpoweroff script to the original x-tahr USB, and then rebooted into said original x-tahr USB. I replaced the altered script with the copied original, and then rebooted a couple of times to test it. Everything went well.

I decided to uninstall pupsaveconfig because it was no longer necessary, and I wasn't sure if I might accidentally start it up and break my system again. Then I read your post, with almost the same idea (but a hell of a lot simpler).

I have also since attempted to update the PPM again. Everything, again, works fine. I can only assume it was my error. Thanks for the support. I'm really impressed with this one.

The version of pupsaveconfig i used (2.2.6), I think, offers to create a swapfile when you create the savefile. That's why I originally tried it out. You live and you learn.
Attachments
pupsaveconfig.png
(14.34 KiB) Downloaded 978 times

rg66

#30 Post by rg66 »

siklopz wrote:The version of pupsaveconfig i used (2.2.6), I think, offers to create a swapfile when you create the savefile. That's why I originally tried it out. You live and you learn.
Oh ya, I forgot about that. It creates a swapfile "file" as opposed to a swapfile partition. It's been a while since I used PSC.

Marv

#31 Post by Marv »

Bounced back here to quickly check the LibreOffice 4.4.3.2 SFS. It's fine. Did a little more fiddling with governor and services and pretty much have concluded the 'weight' of X-tahr 1b1 is very little different from X-slacko 3.0n as I'd expect.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Quick check of LibreOffice and CPU at idle..
(255.87 KiB) Downloaded 1018 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Billtoo

X-tahr-1b1 beta

#32 Post by Billtoo »

Hi rg66,

I have a Quirky Unicorn 6.2.1 installation that is using the xfce4-4.12
sfs from tahrPup 6.0.2.
I had compiled some plugins and made pets in the Quirky installation so
I gave them a try in your X-tahr-1b1 beta, they are working fine so
far.
They are: cpufreq,netload,dict,screenshooter, and the weather plugin.

I couldn't get the plugins to compile in X-tahr-1b1 beta.

Anyhow, this method seems to be working.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
(19.85 KiB) Downloaded 982 times

rg66

Re: X-tahr-1b1 beta

#33 Post by rg66 »

Billtoo wrote:Hi rg66,

sfs from tahrPup 6.0.2.
far.

I had a lot of trouble compiling Xfce in tahr, mostly missing .la errors. I had to use all the .la files from the slacko devx to get anything working.

Billtoo

#34 Post by Billtoo »

rg66 wrote:
Billtoo wrote:Hi rg66,

sfs from tahrPup 6.0.2.
far.

I had a lot of trouble compiling Xfce in tahr, mostly missing .la errors. I had to use all the .la files from the slacko devx to get anything working.
I've just done a new install of X-tahr-1b1 so I could test the plugin pets
that I made without the devx loaded and they are working fine.

I took a screenshot of the pets and if they would be any help to you please send me a PM
with instructions on how to get them to you.

Geany has a problem with minimize/maximize/rollup it's window,
it can't be moved with the press alt key + click and hold method either, I installed leafpad from
PPM and it's working okay.

After testing the plugin pets I loaded the devx + kernel source sfs files and compiled the
newest ati proprietary driver.

root# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: tahrpup, version 6.0.2

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240 OEM]

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe
Drivers requested to be loaded: fglrx

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): fglrx
Loaded modules: amdxmm dbe ddc extmod fb fglrxdrm glesx glx kbd mouse ramdac vbe vgahw

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 3840x1080 pixels (1013x284 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
root#

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(63.25 KiB) Downloaded 948 times
Screenshot2.jpg
(92.02 KiB) Downloaded 943 times

rg66

#35 Post by rg66 »

Billtoo wrote:.....
I took a screenshot of the pets and if they would be any help to you please send me a PM
with instructions on how to get them to you.

Geany has a problem with minimize/maximize/rollup it's window,
it can't be moved with the press alt key + click and hold method either, I installed leafpad from
PPM and it's working okay.
After installing a few missing deps and making a few symlinks, I got cpufreq to compile. Netload and diskperf compiled without issues. I'll try the others you listed and pm you if I have any problems, thanks.

I have no problems with geany, scroll wheel rolls the window up/down easily, min/max seems ok as well.

Edit: Weather plugin compiled as well

Billtoo

#36 Post by Billtoo »

rg66 wrote:
I have no problems with geany, scroll wheel rolls the window up/down easily, min/max seems ok as well.
I don't know what caused my problem but after removing geany from the built-in packages list and then downloading and compiling the source code it's working okay.
Attachments
Geany.jpg
(67.23 KiB) Downloaded 920 times

rg66

#37 Post by rg66 »

Billtoo wrote:
rg66 wrote:
I don't know what caused my problem but after removing geany from the built-in packages list and then downloading and compiling the source code it's working okay.
Ok, good. I've had a lot of issues since I started building X-tahr, I'm on my 15th savefolder at least.

rg66

#38 Post by rg66 »

Uploaded to repo:

libcpufreq0_008-1_i386.pet (for cpufreq)
xfce4-battery-plugin-1.0.5.pet
xfce4-cpufreq-plugin-1.1.1.pet
xfce4-diskperf-plugin-2.5.5.pet
xfce4-netload-plugin-1.2.4.pet
xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.5.pet

+ DEV and NLS .pets

http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-tahr/pet_packages-X-tahr/

rg66

#39 Post by rg66 »

I've uploaded a 1b1 > 1b2 delta to the repo, you might need a new save for some of the updates to work.

Changes:
add save interval choice to event manager > save session tab, (works in PUPMODE=3,7 or 13)
create save entry in appmenu > system (PUPMODE=3,7 or 13)
fix xfdesktop default wallpaper
get shutdown_gui name from DISTRO_SPECS
remove gmeasures
thunar add exec shell scripts
umount remove empty x+x+x dirs
updated rcshutdown
updated shutdownconfig

http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-tahr/testing

Billtoo

#40 Post by Billtoo »

I downloaded the delta file and created the X-tahr-1b2.iso which I used
to create a new manual frugal install (I used the universal installer
for b1)
I downloaded and installed the 4 plugin pets from smokey01 site, (no
dict or screenshooter plugin available)

Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 3.14.20 (i686)
Version #1 SMP Thu Jan 8 13:19:06 GMT 2015
C Library GNU C Library version 2.19 (stable)
Distribution tahrpup - 6.0.2
Current Session
Computer Name Puppy-PC
User Name root (root)
Home Directory /root
Desktop Environment XFCE 4
Misc
Uptime 0 minutes
Load Average 0.82, 0.22, 0.07

OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer AMD Radeon HD 8570
Version 4.4.13372 Compatibility Profile Context 15.101.1001
Direct Rendering Yes

Geany is working fine this time.
I haven't added anything with PPM yet but looking good so far.

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(62.13 KiB) Downloaded 905 times