Icon Background Generator

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
raffaele

Icon Background Generator

#1 Post by raffaele »

This is a pet package I made.
It reduces the size of the icons and place them on a background.
All modifications are done via GUI. Look in the desktop menu for Icon Background Generator.

It works with Wary 5.5 and Precise 5.7 and might work with others.
Some iconsets with mixed 48 and 24 pixel icons might not work.

Best to download and install the pet package if you are interested. If you don't like it you can uninstall the pet package.

MD5 sum 4005e64dd2a321347be9497f36158f4a

raffaele

#2 Post by raffaele »

Sorry, looks like the package won't upload. The pet is too big - 1.2 mb.

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Upload to http://www.datafilehost.com/ and post a link.

raffaele

#4 Post by raffaele »

Thanks for that starhawk.

The link is ibg-2.0.pet

*Added 18 Jun 2015,
ibg-2.1.pet download available - click here ibg-2.1.pet
ibg-2.1.pet MD5 sum d611bb76aaec3fa89260c0f78ff04ff6
*Download the ibg_noim-2.1.pet pet package in the message below (posted on 18 Jun 2015) if you already have Imagemagick installed or are planning to install Imagemagick.

These pictures show basically what the GUI and results would look like.
Attachments
ibg-2_0-GUIb.png
Icon background and indicator select dialogue box
(66.23 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
ibg-2_0-icons.png
Desktop icon result
(11.79 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
ibg-2_0-drives.png
Driver indicator results with Haiku icons
(13.76 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Last edited by raffaele on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 01:58, edited 2 times in total.

raffaele

#5 Post by raffaele »

This is Icon Background Generator 1.0. Its a lot smaller (about 66kb) and should work on more puppies than ibg-2.0 but does not have as many options.

If you have installed ibg-2.0.pet then uninstall it before installing ibg-1.0.pet and vice versa.

There is one problem in the dialogue box.
You must make a selection even if the background or indicator name is already highlighted when you open the box (better to click on another button and then click on the one that was already highlighted). If you skip this and click the Forward button then current or default selection is made.

MD5 sum 9a645783711a8c682f8ac05efd171fc7
Attachments
ibg-1.0.pet
Icon Background Generator 1.0
(66.33 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
ibg-1_0-gui.png
Icon background and indicator select dialogue box
(35.89 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
ibg-1_0-screen.png
(62.63 KiB) Downloaded 488 times

ASRI éducation

#6 Post by ASRI éducation »

raffaele wrote:Icon Background Generator
Your utility seems to be interesting, I'll test soon.
Regards
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

raffaele

#7 Post by raffaele »

AMRI éducation, thank you for your interest.

I,ve found a problem in ibg-2.0.
When the shell script was made the FlatOrange icon theme in Wary was used to check the svg icons worked. The FlatOrange iconset has png drive icons. Now the svg drive icons don't work.

ibg-1.0 doesn't have this problem and I may have found a solution to the faulty default (highlighted) button mentioned above.

I'm hoping these issues and any others that come up will be fixed when I have some time.

phat7

#8 Post by phat7 »

I tried but no change in icon. I am using slacko5.6

phat7

#9 Post by phat7 »

Sorry, Sir, I made a mistake. It works now. I will have to try it harder.

raffaele

#10 Post by raffaele »

phat7 wrote:
I tried but no change in icon. I am using slacko5.6
I have never used that puppy release before. I tried it (5.7) and it seems to handle icons the same as Tahr Puppy. It has the same problems as those mentioned for Tahr in the Icon Background Generator help file. I am currently working on some fixes at the moment.

MochiMoppel

#11 Post by MochiMoppel »

The script seems to run fine. It's not for me, but users who find it entertaining to put backgrounds on their icons should have no problems.

But there is a huge problem with your pet package: Your pet installs a full (and outdated!) version of ImageMagick. Not everyone will like that. In my case it would overwrite my already installed newer version. And when I decide to uninstall your pet? It will remove the ImageMagick that came with your pet and it won't reinstate my previous version. ImageMagick, old or new, will be gone for good. Very bad.

When your script depends on other programs, inform the user so that he/she can obtain an appropriate version for his/her system. ImageMagick is widely available and popular, so chances are that the user has it already installed. Don't build all-inclusive packages. If anything else it prevents the user from updating components separately and eventually will do more harm than good.

raffaele

#12 Post by raffaele »

Thanks to everyone for their interest in Icon Background Generator.
I didn’t know ImageMagick was so popular so I made ibg_noim-2.1.pet that has all the ImageMagick utilities removed from ibg-2.1.
I tried it with a couple different imagemagick pet packages and it seems to work.

Fixes for ibg-2.1

- In Slacko and Tahr the StandardSvg iconset works. There should now always be a full set of icons in the main menu.
- In Tahr a background will be applied to the quickpet desktop icon after graphical server restart. Puppy icon switcher will not remove the background. The background can only be removed if the “Remove Background
Attachments
ibg_noim-2.1.pet
Download this pet package if you already have Imagemagick installed or are planning to install Imagemagick.
(157.71 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
ibg-2.1-screen2.png
(173.97 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
ibg-2.1-screen3.png
(252.99 KiB) Downloaded 313 times