Geany crashes X...

Please post any bugs you have found
Zeppis

Geany crashes X...

#1 Post by Zeppis »

I think this might be a hardware problem because I'd imagine somebody would have noticed it by now. I noticed it today when I was writing some text with geany running Puppy 2.00.
After copying the text and pasting it to this blog sort-of-thing online, I right-clicked on geany (minimized in the task bar) and selected "Close". That closed all of X and threw me to the command line where I typed "xwin" and had to restart all the apps, although otherwise x worked ok.
I then thought "hey, this is an older version, maybe it's fixed later", so I booted up 2.12, tested, and the same thing happened.

Any idea what might be the cause? Is it software or hardware? I have yet to try with other hardware because the CD/DVD drive of our other computer decided to stop working just yesterday... can't boot puppy on that now :(

EDIT: would like to note that I can still close geany safely by opening the geany window then clicking the X at the top right of the window. Also I seem to be able to close all other apps normally from the taskbar...

PaulBx1

#2 Post by PaulBx1 »

Nope, not a hardware problem. It does the same on my 2.11 Puppy.

I think it hasn't been noticed because few people do something like that.

I sent this thread link to the geany email address, however I didn't subscribe to their list so I'm not sure if it will end up getting there.

Our geany (in 2.11) is version 0.8; they have just released 0.9. But nothing in their release notes looks anything like this bug.

MU

#3 Post by MU »

please write it to Enrico, he is very open to suggestions, and replies in this forum, too.

But I think it might be a bug with JWM, there were some other programs causing such trouble, too.
A game, if I remember well.

I will try it in icewm in 10 minutes.

Mark

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Icewm does not crash, so I think it might a bug in JWM handling windows that have no more parent or something like this.

Please inform Joe about it:
http://joewing.net/

Mark

PaulBx1

#5 Post by PaulBx1 »

I emailed him.

deadeye

#6 Post by deadeye »

PaulBx1 wrote:I sent this thread link to the geany email address, however I didn't subscribe to their list so I'm not sure if it will end up getting there.
It did ;-). But I have not yet any idea what's going on. I need some more information and/or feedback from the JWM guys. I'm using Xfce and there never such a thing appeared.

@Zeppis: can you describe in detail what you do to reproduce the crash?

Regards,
Enrico

joki

#7 Post by joki »

i should add that geany always crashes (it disappears, changes lost) on me when the search text dialog is opened for the 2nd time. 1st time it's ok. ctrl-f or click the menu option, same outcome. usually have 2 or 3 tabs open. neat editor btw.
2.12 frugal.

deadeye

#8 Post by deadeye »

Can you start geany in gdb and provide a backtrace? This would be quite helpful. And/or use the current SVN version to confirm that the bug is not already solved.

Edit: what version of Geany you are using? 0.8 or 0.9?

PaulBx1

#9 Post by PaulBx1 »

Can you start geany in gdb and provide a backtrace? This would be quite helpful. And/or use the current SVN version to confirm that the bug is not already solved
I don't know what you just said. :? Maybe zeppis does...

I don't know if the search thing joki mentions is the same problem.

In 2.11 (and I'm guessing in 2.12 too) the version of geany is 0.8.

It is very easy to reproduce. Open geany, then minimize it. Go to the geany button on the task bar, right click, select "close", crash.

deadeye

#10 Post by deadeye »

Ok, I downloaded puppy-2.12-seamonkey.iso and ran it in qemu. I can reproduce the X crash when closing Geany while it is minimized. But I have no idea why this happens.

But it works with other window managers so I would say it is at least a bug between Geany and JWM.

The search bug should be fixed in the meanwhile. And we are about to release 0.10, 0.8 is quite old, so an upgrade is worth, IMO.

deadeye

#11 Post by deadeye »

We have just released Geany 0.10. Probably an update would solve many problems because we fixed at lot of bugs since 0.8.

So have fun and keep me informed about other/new problems.

Regards,
Enrico

joewing

#12 Post by joewing »

This is a bug in JWM. It's fixed in svn (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jwm).

mmm

#13 Post by mmm »

I know this is an old thread but this exact problem happens to me with Puppy 2.14 with Geany 0.10 and JWM.

"I right-clicked on geany (minimized in the task bar) and selected "Close". That closed all of X and threw me to the command line where I typed "xwin" and had to restart all the apps, although otherwise x worked ok."

It is safest to close Geany with the X in the top right hand corner of the window.

Also often Geany gets stuck, I can't minimise Geany to the taskbar. I need to use the little minimise icon in the top right hand corner.

Any solutions?

Cheers,

mmm

Dougal

#14 Post by Dougal »

Install 0.10.2. A dotpup should be found on this forum.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Newcrest

#15 Post by Newcrest »

10.2 still has bugs. It crashes when find is used repeatedly.
There is a dotpup for version 11 on the forum. It has that problem fixed as well.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15495

mmm

#16 Post by mmm »

Dougal and Newcrest,

Thanks for the links, I downloaded the 10.2 pup but didn't get 'round to installing it yet. Now that I have downloaded 11 I'll give it a go first. I use Geany a lot so I've got used to its qwerks.

Regards,

mmm

mmm

#17 Post by mmm »

Group, Dougal and Newcrest,

I have used Geany 0.10.2 in Puppy 2.16 and installed Geany 0.11 as well, both versions still can crash X when closing Geany from the taskbar and they both can get stuck minimised or maximised on the taskbar. It doesn't happen all of the time. These problems aren't critical as they are easily avoided, they are just a bit annoying.

It would be great if this one could be worked out but until then I would recommend not closing Geany from the taskbar.

Cheers,

mmm

Puppy 2.16, Live CD, 512MB pup_save.2fs

deadeye

#18 Post by deadeye »

Is this a really a Geany bug or maybe a bug in the used window manager or maybe a bug by the combination of both?

Dougal

#19 Post by Dougal »

deadeye wrote:Is this a really a Geany bug or maybe a bug in the used window manager or maybe a bug by the combination of both?
I'll check it and see if it's really a bug.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#20 Post by Dougal »

I tried again and again and it wouldn't crash X for me.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes