Dry Falls

Just-Lighthouse64-603/604

#1 Post by Dry Falls »

Just-Lighthouse final release notes

Just-Lighthouse Update (filepup.com)

gdrive directory:
JL64-604

(151005-15) JL64-604 iso release notes:

5-JL64_604.sfs desktop enhancements + qt-4.8.7 (like lhp-503g)
Pure64 in initrd.xz; wine no longer a z-file - still available as a sfs addon;
Abiword 3.0
new xml menu manipulation for openbox-session hacked from...;
...various of Radky's pupmates;
upgrade perl;
New Devx on dual hybrid iso;
Kernel sources on " " iso (coming)
k4.1.6 kernel;
conventional puppy desktop
Mesa 9.17/openGL;
vid-render drivers pet;
JL64-604-noefi.iso (Old standard/bare bones no efi boot - edit with isomaster):

JL64-604-noefi.iso
JL64-604-noefi.iso.md5sum.tx

Devx-JL64_604.sfs
Devx-JL64_603.sfs.md5sum.txt

kernel_sources-4.1.6-JL-x86_64.sfs
kernel_sources-4.1.6-JL-x86_64.sfs.md5sum.txt

zWine-1.7.23-i486_603.sfs___Wine-1.7.23-i486_604.sfs.delta

Just-Lighthouse64-604.3.iso
Just-Lighthouse64-604.3.iso.md5sum.txt

Delta patch (81M) for iso (150820-JL64-603.iso___150918-JL64-603.iso.delta)
lhp-config now a script accessed from LHP-LookNFeel (as is the undo or revert script) built in.
Changed window dressing to TokTok and rebuilt puppypin.
Reinstalled full gettext and vte to base file (obviously, the libraries were not enough).
All mozilla browsers updated to current build.

more bug-fixes;
added options to LHP-LookNFeel
update Firefox to v40.0.3;
update to sqlite-3.7.17-x86_64-1
syslinux-4.06-x86_64-1 added to 3_devx addon;
Ramlink script for running Live (pupmode=5) portable wine, mozilla & /root/File in profile addon;
lhp-config.pet " " (conventional puppy desktop)
edit midsums in pkglist & verify iso;
removed obsolete notecase manager;
removed ppg (Puppy-Podcast-Grabber)
150908JL64-603.iso delta patch

150820-JL64-603.iso (687M) full, patched.
k4.0.1-JL64-603.iso (681M) same with earlier kernel.

150818deltas.tar.gz (upgrades base file & 3_devx from 150804-JL64-603.iso)
150816-JL64-603.sfs___JL64-603.sfs.delta (patches base file from 150816-JL64-603.iso):
revert to mesa=8.04. opengl dependencies back in xfe pet.

150816-JL64-603.iso (light version - 386M)
150814deltas.tar.gz (upgrades base file & 3_devx from 150804-JL64-603.iso): mesa-9.1.7 & 9.0.0 builtin

150808-150810
xfe-1.37-x86_64-JL64.sfs
uploaded delta patches (150810deltas.tar.gz)
fix 3_devextra64-603.sfs missing python bindings;
update dillo bookmarks;
edited profile.sfs: .mozilla/icecat sqlite files
py2cairo, sox & wavpack builtin_files added to /root/,packages in basefile;
edit midsums in pkglist & verify iso;
modify & sync grub.cfg & isolinux.cfg - default: noautosave, 2nd menu: xorgwizard
uploaded VLC-2.0.6-x86_64-2.sfs builtin_files added to /root/,packages;
uploaded vintage vbox (Vbox-4.3.20-JL64_603.sfs) fixed to accomodate new kernel;
uploaded 150804JL64-603.iso

note: Should you download the latest iso, it will be best to create a new savefile or rootfs save. If you have another JL64-603.sfs file in your system, grub2 will use it. Either rename the file or bury it more than one directory deep.

devx is no longer required for many compilation/build needs (including kernel builds). The documentation which was on the original lighthouse devx and gtkdocs is on the documentation.sfs addon, as are the man pages. Extra locales are on NLS_base addon, a bit of a misnomer as language packs are still pretty limited. individual packs are available in ppm & gslapt.

uploaded kernel package (k4.1.3.tar.gz) & sources;
now with kernel 4.1.3 handles/loads modules better than previous kernels;
uploaded delta patch (DeltaPatch-150731.tar.gz) for base file:
  • modified symlinks in usr/lib64 for gnutls & nettle;
    upgraded fakeroot
    update-manager gui in Desktop hacked from LHP-503g
kcompile.sfs contains Stemsee's SUKK-Universal (kernel kit ui)

150722-24
new JL64-603 iso at gdrive
uploaded kernel package & sources for k4.1.2 (experimental)
moved minimal nls-base into 3_devx addon on iso; added seamonkey
correct distro name for samba.sh, conf files, etc.
fixed 'click-to-verify-mariner';
trimmed redundancies in documentation.sfs
added appropriate glib-networking, netkit tools & assorted networking libraries
moved *.files in kde &devx to /root/.packages/builtin_files
(enables quirky-style 'remove-builtins' for applications on an sfs addon and reduces confusion for PPM/woofce); todo: standardize formatting of *.files files; finish making trees.
upgrade pureftpd to v1.0.41 (pet available)

patches applied
update dillo bookmarks/config
repair usr/share/doc/welcome1stboot ('more info' button)
added make tools & etc to 3_devextras addon (configure, make, install without Devx)
added JL64-603 documentation to /usr/share/doc
added /sbin/pup_event_ipc
mkdir /tmp/pup_event_ipc
mkdir /usr/local/pup_event
ln -s /usr/share/doc/pup_event_ipc-README.htm /usr/local/pup_event/
*update inotify
*fix net-tools
If 2_sysd addon is loaded, dnsmasq rc file needs configured.

150712-15
additions to udev/rules.d & hwdb
transmission changed to v2.83
uploaded JLH64-603Deltas.tar.gz, effectively upgrading JLH64-603g to JLH64-603;
minor additions to Devx, documentation, 3_devextra;
removed about 6M of extraneous libraries from lib64 in basefile (see changes.txt);
tar.gz includes new initrd.xz to account for dropping the 'g' from distrospecs;
revert to old busybox in base file;
fix/upgr libevent-2.0.21;
JLH64-603 now contains nettools and fuse-ssh which has workarounds for running without full udev;
dnsmasq (v2.72) now on 2_sysd; rarian, tftp, scrollkeeper & yasm added to 3_devxtra;
Troublesome symlink (udev in lib & etc) fixed;
rem symlink to var/tmp/kdecache-root/icon-cache.kcache in 4_kde;included;
md5's adjusted in lhp-update pkglist;
edit transmission sfs for libevent-2.0.21 (for JL64-602)

Deltas for JLH64-603g (150714)

uploaded JLH64-603Deltas.tar.gz, effectively upgrading JLH64-603g to JLH64-603;
minor additions to Devx, documentation, 3_devextra;
removed about 6M of extraneous libraries from lib64 in basefile (see changes.txt);
tar.gz includes new initrd.xz to account for dropping the 'g' from distrospecs;
revert to old busybox in base file;
fix/upgr libevent-2.0.21 & cups;
JLH64-603 now contains nettools and fuse-ssh which has workarounds for networking without full udev;
dnsmasq (v2.72) now on 2_sysd; rarian, tftp, scrollkeeper & yasm added to 3_devxtra;
Troublesome symlink (udev in lib & etc) fixed;
rem symlink to var/tmp/kdecache-root/icon-cache.kcache in 4_kde;included;
md5's adjusted in lhp-update pkglist;
edit transmission sfs for libevent-2.0.21

Re-release of JL64-602f: (150714)

Uploaded JL64-602f.iso and sfs files to the Mariner602-b2 directory at g-drive. It is a somewhat tweaked May 29th basefile which still has systemd and udev. Netboot works on it. The builtin_files directory and pkglist are still incomplete. I'll make a patch when I can get around to it. Cups should work ootb (at least it does for me).

Re-release of JL64-603g: (150703)
  • *upgraded wine to 1.7.23
    *downgraded to cups 1.54.3
    *first-run now sets up default browser and calls up the printer wizard (cups html interface)
    *Because of unique python bindings, devx must currently be loaded to run system-config-printer (see note 1)
    *fixed legacy boot (for isolinux)
    *Systemd no longer auto-loads at boot up
    *Moved netboot to systemd addon until gtk problem opening dnsmasq is settled (see note 2)
    *Current samba has been successfully tested with winXP
    *New busybox & glib/gcc in initrd.xz
    *integrated lighthouse update with gslapt for slackware packages
1) Can't for the life of me discover what in devx is responsible for loading gtk modules to run scp. I presume it's a synergetic effect. I didn't notice it before because I seem to always run with devx.
2) Also presume the problem with netboot relates to ossl/ssh 'security' upgrades in JL64. May be fixed with dnsmasq configuration - which is why I changed from v2.66 to v2.57 (actually newer and more configurable).
A reminder, the browsers in the menu run as spot. Those in wbar run as root.
Download Link:
JL64-603( Just-Lighthouse64)
    * Musher's slocate gui is the preferred search database.
    * Brought back Lighthouse update with two lines of script changed so that 'update file list' closes down lhp-update and brings up gslapt for installation of slackware packages.
    * Otherwise, a small selection of lhp pets is available and any selection will trigger ppm/wget to download the pet from Tazoc's repo and ask if you want to proceed with installation.
    * SFS files are for the time being only available at g-drive and only downloadable via browser or Stemsee's 'nluug-get'
    * Select default e-mail with 'defaults-chooser' inside the desktop folder prior to clicking the e-mail icon.
    * All add-ons specific to JL64-603 will be in the same directory (link below). Most in ExtraSfs will work (as will those at Tazoc's repo) but care should be taken. I will be removing qt (etc) libraries from specific add-ons as I get to it to better jive with the new base-file.
    * Should you wish to stay with the original Lighthouse/Mariner, this kernel package runs it very well.
    * Next project will be updating the kernel and some 'security' patches for the 32bit lhp-503g. That pup is just too cool!
(150607) The final release version of JL64-602 (JL64-4.0.1f.iso) is now available for download after nearly six months of tinkering. It includes several bug fixes from the previous upload as well as several dependencies for installed applications (missed by both ppm and g-slapt), particularly concerning gimp and system-config-printer. These additions are primarily python bindings, but I've also upgraded control panel, pup-sysview, and added pup-kview, urxvtcontrol, at-spi2 and locator gui.

Of course, to call this "final" does not mean "really and truly"! I believe it merely qualifies JL64 for long-term-support. There is undoubtedly still much which might be done.

notes on systemd and kde windomanager:
Included in the JL64-4.0.1f iso is the addon, 2_SysdUdev-x86_64.sfs, which essentially restores systemd and udev as was in the original lighthouse and earlier JL64 prior to the addition of eudev, which is a udev work-around eliminating the need for systemd. Although not essential to run the kde desktop, so many functions are tied to it, particularly kde drive/partition mounters as well as gnome disks.

To run kde free of systemd, simply unload the 2_SysdUdev-x86_64.sfs addon with boot manager or sfs load in the control panel. There are plenty of puppy applications to take up the slack, such as pmount. In this case, spacefm would be the preferable file manager for kde, since it runs completely independent of polkit and dbus-1 (with systemd).

The other note concerning the kde window manager is nepomuk services. Some bit of nepomuk (libraries) is essential for most kde (v4.10.5) applications, but the system is broken as slackware provides and, in fact, has been abandoned by kde in more recent versions (which appear absolutely dependent on systemd). The only kde applications to truly suffer are the file indexing service and data storage.

I've added Smokey et al's 'locator-1.1-tahr' to the base file which provides a more-than-satisfactory indexing database gui for locate.

To save sessions while running kde (especially booting kdm/kwin from the console rather than xwin), you must switch the window manager to any other wm AFTER hitting the 'save-session' icon on the desktop.

Download Link:

Extrasfs (Extra packages)

Mariner602-b2 (JL64-4.0.1f.iso -aka Just-Lighthouse)
(150618) edit: I thought I already did this but apparently it was only in a pm. Whoops. There is some redundancy in packages at the TWO links, but those @ Mariner602... are more recent as well as reliable. I'm in the midst of reorganizing everything so please bear with me. (thanks M!)

df
Last edited by Dry Falls on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 16:13, edited 25 times in total.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

Dry Falls

first patch

#3 Post by Dry Falls »

Gcmartin brought to my attention that the md5.text is missing so here it is. Thanks. In addition, the patch includes 3 kde packages which, although not necessary to the wm, will better complete the experience, should anyone wish to actually run with the kde window manager. It includes shared-desktop-ontologies (for nepomuk), ebook-tools and kdegraphics-mobipocket.
Attachments
JL64-4.0.1f.iso.md5sum.txt-fake.gz
(50 Bytes) Downloaded 585 times
JL64patch-1.pet
(148.32 KiB) Downloaded 657 times

Dry Falls

oops

#4 Post by Dry Falls »

Isn't it great that the day you finalize and broadcast a project, you start finding unfinished business?

To start with, here's a doinstall script which fixes the first of the major goof-ups:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib64/
rm -rf libexiv2.so.6
rm -rf libexiv2.so.6.0.0
cd /usr/bin
rm -rf pet2txz
ln -sf /sbin/pet2txz /usr/bin/
More to come.
Last edited by Dry Falls on Wed 10 Jun 2015, 09:23, edited 2 times in total.

Dry Falls

or...

#5 Post by Dry Falls »

a more old-fashioned method to install the patch:

note: This script will install the tar.gz patch-file, bypassing the compress-decompress process and avoiding any errors encountered by PPM.

download or move 'install-patch.tar.gz' to </root/File/Downloads/> (make sure to change the script to reflect the chosen working directory). Otherwise, this script will assume to be in the same directory where you downloaded the patch and will unpack the archive there. This is the default and probably preferred action.

df
Attachments
install-patch.sh-fake.gz
rename fake gz. 'Install-patch.sh' is all you need
(632 Bytes) Downloaded 591 times

Dry Falls

#6 Post by Dry Falls »

a second patch included gnu-findutils compiled from source but this pet (findutils-tahr-4.4.2.pet) works better:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 933#830933

What works right off is PuppyTerrier-01g_BIL.pet (slocate) here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... f97772927d

Apparently, the slocate database in lighthouse was just too old to be usefull. Had to symlink '/root/.gvfs' to '/mnt' for compatibility with the improved slocate wrapper.

Also, another lesson in ecology. Neither geeqie-v1.0 (stock image viewer in LH64) nor it's upgrade to v1.1 can use the exiv2 library upgrade which was required by gimp. For the time being, removed the two .wh files in /initrd/pup_ro1/usr/lib64 for exiv2 produced by patch1. Otherwise, change the default image viewer to fotox.

df

Dry Falls

exiv2

#7 Post by Dry Falls »

Fixed geeqie & uploaded geeqie-1.1-x86_64-1.txz to gdrive repo. Ignore
For the time being, removed the two .wh files in /initrd/pup_ro1/usr/lib64 for exiv2 produced by patch1.
patch1 still applies.

edoc

#8 Post by edoc »

This version allows me to see & set up the Brother printer that the prior versions would not.

However ... I am getting a permissions error when I try to print or if I try to modify Server settings (I have the printer set as server default).

WDYT?

Thanks
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Dry Falls

#9 Post by Dry Falls »

Not a replacement but a helper, system-config-printer should find and configure printer settings correctly. It's a really friendly gui. Give that a try. (menu/system/hardware settings/print settings).

df

edoc

#10 Post by edoc »

I'll try that.

Does JLH log in as Spot by default?

If so perhaps I need to log in as Root to make certain changes?

Thanks ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

mikeslr

Cinelerra & possibly other additional applications

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

First let me express my appreciation for great job Dry Falls has done in revitalizing Lighthouse64. I am still amazed at how good Tazoc's original Lighthouse64's were. So it's hard for me to get my head around the courage Dry Falls exhibited in undertaking the project (in public :) ) and the masterful job he has done. Nor do I think Semme's contributions should go unnoticed.

Perhaps Dry Falls did too good a job. :lol: On my Dell Latitude 6400 Laptop, running JL64-4.0.1f, I've had to slow my mouse cursor down exponentially if I want to start applications from the third slide-out panel of the Start-Menu's Categories, or not inadvertently switch to a different opened window while trying to use of of the tools on an overlapping window. Either my mouse was too sensitive or my hands too unsteady; and there's not much I can do about the latter.

So now having a 64-bit system I like, it's in my nature to explore what it can do which Dry Fall hasn't already incorporated. One area I try to keep abreast of is Video Editing. Avidemux-2.5.6-x86_64.sfs worked, [Sorry, I'm not certain where I fliched it from]. Unfortunately, most of the more full-featured Linux applications I tried (both 64bit and 32-bit) didn't, Openshot, flowblade: apparently python mis-match or misalignment. Figuring out why is beyond my pay-grade. Even, Shotcut under portable-wine failed to function for some unknown reason: it runs perfectly well when the same setup is registered in 32-bit Puppies. I haven't tried running any 32-bit version of Kdenlive.

I've mentioned the above in the hope of saving others looking for a "plug-and-play" solution from wasting their time. Hopefully, someone who is not intimidated by python will seek a solution.

As I am somewhat obsessive about seeking solutions, I am pleased to report that it appears xanad's Cinelerra-4.6-14.04.1-x86_64-static-April64.pet appears to be functional. At least to this extent: it installs, opens from the menu, loads clips of various formats and responds to viewing controls. As xanad only published it yesterday, and I only discovered it today --I'm a firm believer in serendipity-- I haven't really tested it, especially as I'm not that familiar with how to do anything under Cinelerra. Initially, I was unable to start it via the terminal. It's executable is buried at /usr/local/cinelerra. After symlinking the executable to /usr/bin, starting it from the terminal reported neither errors nor missing files. Which leads me to believe that any problem running it under JustLightHouse may be minor and correctable.

Xanad's Cinelerra can be found here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... d64#850590

Xanad's been a busy puppy. The above provides links to about twenty pets for Quirky64. Most I've seen represented elsewhere, but some I haven't.You might want to take a look.

As his Cinelerra built for Quirky64 seems to work under JustLightHouse, so might other applications similarly constructed.

mikesLr

edoc

#12 Post by edoc »

edoc wrote:I'll try that.

Does JLH log in as Spot by default?

If so perhaps I need to log in as Root to make certain changes?

Thanks ...
That's the CUPS 1.5.4 GUI.

It wakes-up the printer but I still get the permissions error and no printing from that computer.

Closer ... but not all the way there yet ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Dry Falls

print-settings

#13 Post by Dry Falls »

Try 'system-config-printer' from the terminal. But you have to have the kde sfs loaded. And like all puppies, JL64 logs in as root. You should be able to modify the 'permissions' with cups, hitting the administrator tab. Did you try just printing a document or "print test page"? The former might work even if the latter doesn't. Also, if your printer is on a network and not your box, you may want to try the samba upgrade (txz package), but it sounds like that's not the problem.

df

edoc

Re: print-settings

#14 Post by edoc »

Dry Falls wrote:Try 'system-config-printer' from the terminal. But you have to have the kde sfs loaded.
df
Is the one that I need loaded "kde-baseapps-4.10.5.sfs"?

Sure appreciate the assist!

EDIT: While awaiting clarification re. which KDE sfs to load I visited Puppy Package Manager again. It says I don't have enough room for 174m so I changed the save location to /mnt/home/savestuff - a partition with 17g available - and I still get the error.

How might I fix that, please?

Thanks again ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Dry Falls

#15 Post by Dry Falls »

Sorry I didn't clarify that. The kde which auto-loads off the iso is 4_kde-4.10.5-x86_64-alt.sfs. That's the kde and xfce window managers plus about a hundred apps you can run from any desktop. Nothing really to download. 2_SysdUdev-x86_64.sfs is systemd and udev to complete the kde functionality -- generally unnecessary. (Use slocate gui instead of nepomuk database search -- everything else works, though you may have to go into system settings to select your preferred soundcard configuration).

The nls addon (also in the iso) as well contains most of the extra locales. documentation.sfs is docs, man, info, html, gtkdocs. That, devx and kernel sources are all where you got the iso (at gdrive).

For package installation, for the time being, I'd recommend gslapt over ppm. I'm still working out some bugs which cause ppm to miss installed software. It want's to download and install the whole repo because it can't see that the dependencies are already there. I'm about %80 finished patching lighthouse to accommodate ppm2 (and vice versa), so it's almost there.

But not to worry. JL64 has everything you will probably need to get started. Tazoc is to blame for the compatibility with April. He envisioned just about every possibility (to install debs, rpms and pets) so it's chuckabluck full of symlinks to alternate directories. But because it's slackware, It's most compatable with lxpup64/slacko64.

There's one other thing which might interfere with the printer, and that's if you use the same save-file you had set up for a previous incarnation. If you remember your architecture, the save file has the final say over everything. Even so, you can still reset cups from '/etc/cups/resetCUPS' and reinstall your printer...save session.

df

edoc

#16 Post by edoc »

I ran '/etc/cups/resetCUPS'

Then I rebooted to reset the save file.

The printer was still there but despite the same error - this time it allowed me to print a Test Page.

It also allowed me to print the CUPS page.

And it allowed me to change the Share Printer setting in Administration.

However, I now get a "Getting printer information failed" error on another laptop that has been working fine.

Do I need to reboot this other laptop and/or run "/etc/cups/resetCUPS" on it as well?

NOTE1: CUPS Administration can't access the printer settings for the Brother printer on this other laptop - so I cannot delete and re-add it. If I run "/etc/cups/resetCUPS" on this machine will it mess up the settings on the other one - where I just got printing working? (CUPS has always mystified me.)

NOTE2: The printer is connected to the USB port of an ASUS router and has worked fine across multiple wifi connected laptops in the past. (Just to eliminate the ASUS router as the source of the problem.)

Thanks ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#17 Post by edoc »

Everything was powered-down for the night - powered up JLH-64 laptop with printer working first, then this one with the error message, and though the error (re. unable to get printer) popped up - this time it disappeared and now allows me to print.

Mark this one SOLVED.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Dry Falls

JL64-603

#18 Post by Dry Falls »

JL64-603 Release notes added to opening post

df

stemsee

Re: Just-Lighthouse64-603 final

#19 Post by stemsee »

Dry Falls wrote:* SFS files are for the time being only available at g-drive and only downloadable via browser or Stemsee's 'nluug-get'
nluug-get and gdrive-get are the work of fredx181 (DebianDog developer).
I only packaged them for puppy, and provided a few ideas and two lines of code to improve user experience.

Dry Falls

Delta-file

#20 Post by Dry Falls »

I've added a delta-patch to gdrive:

JL64-603.sfs___JL64-603.sfs.delta ... size=8.46M

available in the upload directory, 'JL64-603( Just-Lighthouse64)', in the opening post. This fixes a problem with udev & glib solibs. Also there is new Devx64-603 with corresponding changes.

df
Last edited by Dry Falls on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.