Project NWP/NWPT, The Nooby Word Processor/WP'ing Toolbar

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
Puppus Dogfellow

Project NWP/NWPT, The Nooby Word Processor/WP'ing Toolbar

#1 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

an ethereally minimalistic word processor:
[...]

some background from here:

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79573

found it, nooby. third and fourth posts of that thread.

NWP (the nooby word processor)

the above zipped folder is miriam's bold script plus several others made from it: italics, superscript, subscript, underline, strike through, small, large...i think that's it. they work best when dragged to a panel or the desktop. i included some icons i just made, but they're fairly lame.

tested in geany, xpad, and leafpad.

(Nooby's word processor is a wrapper around a text processor. it works well despite being thrown together by a noob. geany can export as html, and google drive, for example, can convert that into an actual word processing file. text processors are extremely reliable from what i've seen...and geany's got its own file tree view, tabs, and pull down menu...)
thanks for the inspiration, nooby (and the code, miriam). it's something i've wondered about myself, "why can't i just use the text editor for word processing..."

wonder if it's possible to get it to export to rtf or something like that...

the required xdotools.pet is included in the 47kb download.
[forgot that part of the forum isn't open access. that was one of nooby's last posts. maybe it can be of use to someone/someone can make it useful. think i'll eventually make a four panel frame for it and some icons that are less lame. when i figure out what's reasonable to ask of this project, i'll make a request at another part of this board for a pop up toolbar to be made from those eight scripts and/or ask for whatever additional functionality/toolbars the community can come up with. perhaps a button each for export to pdf, odt, rtf, etc.]

[...]

quoting myself may not have been the best way to go about this, but it was likely the easiest... :)

Anyway, my request is for those able to make pop up toolbars or meaningful contributions to the point that this can be called a project. dragging the scripts as icons to the desktop or panels, or making them buttons on popups (outside my range of abilities) can turn, or lead towards turning, any text editor/note-taker into a word processor. that's the theory anyway. i'm asking for toolbars and features.

thanks in advance.
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

Puppus Dogfellow

The Route of Forking Xpad

#2 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

and i haven't been able to get the 4.2 version to work, so as yet no undo, redo, or whatever else was supposed to be added since 4.0.

it saves all its pads (they're really pages of limitless length) in a config folder with odd names that don't correspond to the titles/first lines, but right clicking on the task bar icon gives you all extant pads listed as blank (because nothing's been written on the first line) or by first line. maybe some sort of short code can be written atop each pad to let the program/toolbar (or button, if it's actually a hack/fork of xpad itself) know which pad(s) to grab, what order to combine them, what output format to use...

though i guess that sort of stuff can call up its own dialog box, calling up locations beyond xpad's config folder (and programs beyond xpad).

...shortcut keys once the toolbar has been called up...

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: The Route of Forking Xpad

#3 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:and i haven't been able to get the 4.2 version to work, so as yet no undo, redo, or whatever else was supposed to be added since 4.0.

it saves all its pads (they're really pages of limitless length) in a config folder with odd names that don't correspond to the titles/first lines, but right clicking on the task bar icon gives you all extant pads listed as blank (because nothing's been written on the first line) or by first line. maybe some sort of short code can be written atop each pad to let the program/toolbar (or button, if it's actually a hack/fork of xpad itself) know which pad(s) to grab, what order to combine them, what output format to use...

though i guess that sort of stuff can call up its own dialog box, calling up locations beyond xpad's config folder (and programs beyond xpad).

...shortcut keys once the toolbar has been called up...
leafpad plus geanyis the better way to go. they're both included in all puppies out of the box and they both already have built-in redo/undo capability. the scripts linked above can be used to make leafpad essentially function like both xpad and a tabbed word processor. included is a script to launch a set as individual file windows (like leafpad but with the added bonus of human readable actual in fact titles) and one to launch a group all in the same geany window. the folder can be placed in a dropbox, spideroak, copy, or similar folder, and it would then be a means of note-taking between computers.

next step would be to work on exporting/converting and autolinking of various files. i think it's related to the cat command, Concatenate. getting started may be easier with don570's pet to create batches of empty files.

Puppus Dogfellow

here's a jwm menu for the scripts in the folder

#4 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

<Menu label="NWPT" icon="" height="16">

<Program label="Bold" icon="">nwpb</Program>
<Program label="Italics" icon="">nwpi</Program>
<Program label="Underline" icon="">nwpu</Program>
<Program label="Subscript" icon="">nwpsub</Program>
<Program label="Superscript" icon="">nwpsup</Program>
<Program label="Strikethrough" icon="">nwpstrk</Program>
<Program label="Big" icon="">nwpbig</Program>
<Program label="Small" icon="">nwpsm</Program>

</Menu>

you can add it to /etc/xdg/templates/._root_.jwmrc.

Puppus Dogfellow

#5 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

updated/info. i think i could mark this as filled...

nwpfor~572

edit: reupped after a minor fix of the comment scripts and menu.

newer view

Puppus Dogfellow

rc1/release candidate the first

#6 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

rc1 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 270#850270 5/11/15

release candidate the first, released on the 11th day of june, notification being made on nearly the 2nd minute of the 19th hour of that day...

in this, the 15th year of the 21st century of the (Time's) common era...

word processor, utilities suite, desktop and window controller

self contained and compact (~150kb download, folder to be unpacked and added to /).