WANTED: puppy distro that uses KDE desktop environment

Using applications, configuring, problems
B.K. Johnson

WANTED: puppy distro that uses KDE desktop environment

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hello
Can someone link me to a puppy distribution that uses the KDE desktop environment OOTB?

There is an application I want to try out. I can't use any other DE as the application will generate dependrncy errors which I don't want to deal with (cam't deal with).

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, B.K. Johnson.

Start here? http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86913

Also dejan555 did a beautiful KDE remaster of gposil's Dpup-4-82 4-5
years ago. (A little marvel of a Puppy.)

More generally:
https://startpage.com/do/search?q=KDE+% ... om%2Fpuppy

And if I may be as bold...
https://ixquick.com/do/search?q=how+to+ ... rch+engine
This is a basic skill nowadays you know...

Regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @B.K. Johnson

This Puppy 64bit distro comes with a KDE feature.

Cheers
Hi, gcmartin.

Do you know of any recent 32-bit Puppy with KDE ?

Thanks in advance.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Musher0. I am not aware of any recent PUPs doing so. Knoppix still is a viable with all built OOTB (other distros continue to offer KDE,too).

Other members may know of a recent 32bit PUPs with this OOTB, or as an option.

B.K. Johnson

#6 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Thanks musher0. The first link failed but further in the thread dejan555 provided this:
[it seems that it's mirrored URL hereand it's downloadable
What it led to does not look like a puppy ootb but add-ons of the DE as pet and sfs. Not exactly what I was looking for but we'll see if I have to resort to that.

You wrote:
And if I may be as bold...
https://ixquick.com/do/search?q=how+to+ ... rch+engine
This is a basic skill nowadays you know.
No offence taken for your boldness :) . As KDE is not standard on Puppy, I was really looking for a recommendation of a modern pup with support and KDE OOTB. But I did search. I did! I did! :lol:

My search criteria was: KDE puppylinux and the search engine was Google. I was not aware of startpage and ixquick, so thanks for enabling me to add those to my arsenal. Next time. :wink: Among the Google links was:
Puppy Versions List (AKA the big list) but it did not have a DE heading, so that went nowhere
The YouTube video of dpupexprimo showed it crashing repeatedly, so I was unsure of dpup,.
Only jlh seemed to meet the criteria when I searched but it seemed everything but the Out house sink was thrown in it.

The puppylinux dpup page does not list the gposil version as having KDE. Perhaps you meant KDPUP also by dejan555. I have chosen this to experiment with.

@gcmartin

Thanks for your recommendation. I know it is among the pups you use. But as I have stated above, Just-Lighthouse64 is a little too heavy for my liking.

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @B.K. Johnson. You keep mentioning "heavy". How much RAM is your 64bit PC that you use? Also,you may have missed that it has a Menu item allowing you to remove ANYTHING that comes in that system so that it matches you specific needs. And, the Lighthouse remaster tool works very well assuming you follow @StemSee's offer to easily recreate.

Also, when you fired it to the desktop did you notice its RAM use with and without KDE? Boot into each WM and type "free" in the console.

But, I'm concerned about your RAM. How much is in your PC? And, are you planning a Live/Frugal/Full use of your KDE distro? Maybe we can help you achieve your KDE desire with the comfort you want.

The LH/JLH mission was targeted at "Ease of Use" for all levels of users. If you find issues or need any JLH help, posting on that thread will get you what you would want.

Hope this can be helpful

BTW, there is an OFFER to build a KDE distro, here. In collaboration, you might achieve just what you desire.

B.K. Johnson

#8 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hi gcmartin
It seems you got the impression from my post that I had installed jlhp. Sorry if you were misled. My conclusions were drawn from going to the website and reading the inclusions. Plus having some familiarity with Tazoc's LHP offerings I suppose I have some expectations from that lineage.

You asked:
How much RAM is your 64bit PC that you use?
4 Gb.
Also,you may have missed that it has a Menu item allowing you to remove ANYTHING that comes in that system so that it matches you specific needs.
I am familiar with that tool. Have used it.
And, the Lighthouse remaster tool works very well assuming you follow @StemSee's offer to easily recreate.
Have followed the thread of StemSee's remaster, downloaded it but have not used it ...yet. If there were other compelling reasons for me to get JLHP, I would not mind removing stuff and remastering but I am not ready to ditch tahrpup yet. I just want to compile and run one single application that must run in KDE.
And, are you planning a Live/Frugal/Full use of your KDE distro?
It's been a long time since I have put a puppy on CD. My installations are all frugal and I run my pups from flash drives ... copying the relevant files from the mounted iso to directories on the flash drive. I use SYSLINUX not Grub4DOS for my menu. It is very likely that I'll continue especially as I have to compile the one application.
Maybe we can help you achieve your KDE desire with the comfort you want.
Hope so. I know you will even if I don't choose JLH. :wink:
BTW, there is an OFFER to build a KDE distro, here. In collaboration, you might achieve just what you desire.
Thanks. Saw the post and responded.

We in the community promote puppy. It is quite ok for you to promote your favourite puppy. 8) :D No problem!

B.K. Johnson