How to change Asus router security key?

elchucko

How to change Asus router security key?

#1 Post by elchucko »

I've just loaded Puppy from a DVD and it runs OK. I have an Ralink 2860 wireless adapter and an Asus RT-N66R wireless router. My problem is twofold. Firmware for the Ralink is not available in the list of wireless adapters within Puppy release 5.2.8. The configuration process asks for a router security key. How do I find the key? It's not on the router case nor did I specify one during the router install a year ago. Is it a "simple" matter of displaying the router info (192.168.1.1) and changing the key without creating other problems? Thank you

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

As there are over 1200 variants of Puppy....

which is your version?

""""""""""""

Try using Frisbee for wireless.

:::::::

192.168.1.1 = Netcomm router???? Login

:::::::::

What computer specs??

Chris.

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

lucid he mentions.

For those adapters I find their own drivers are best...the STA ones... later lucid updates seem to include them so perhaps have a relook at what is on offer in terms of Lucid. The open source drivers don't seem to cut the mustard with certain ralink hardware though a later kernel might get lucky.

mike

I did make an sfs bundling the newer drivers since the original 5.2.8 ..it may or may not be useful for you or simply overkill....it was also aimed at an experimental build so no guarantees but won't do any harm either.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ny3oygwq1xxhf ... 4.sfs?dl=1

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

" lucid he mentions. "

:::::::::::

Hey! I was onto it.......maybe next week....ahem!

"Puppy release 5.2.8"

Maybe the latest 529 3 Headed Doggy might work mikeb.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l308h ... 150520.iso

Original post by playdayz developer of Lucid.

" Three-Headed Dog
Three-Headed Dog is based on Lucid 5.2.8 but with the
2.6.37.6 kernel from Slacko 5.3.1.
Some newer computers might work better with 3HD than with
Lucid 5.2.8.005. "

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

::::::::::;

Other New Lucid Pups released this week.

Here is the link to the 5.2.8.7 ISO-file directory -- from rerwin

please use only the files dated with 20150520:

::::::::::

elchucko ...my apologies for not looking at the script.

Chris

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Hey! I was onto it.......maybe next week....ahem!

been their...did not even get a tee shirt :D

Forgot to say if you did try the driver pack you may need to run depmod in a terminal to register the new drivers... same if you manually add one.

mike

elchucko

#6 Post by elchucko »

OK, I'm a real entry level person. Trying to log on the internet fails using Puppy 5.2.8 or the current version of Slacko. Either shows I have a wireless pci adapter and displays the correct description. Ioading a driver fails. The ESSID is not accepted even though I've checked the Asus router for that information. I've tried many times with failures. It does not "like" any drivers (but I can't find any with the adapters description). Ideas? Thank you

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

The security key is something you would set by going into the router and wifi settings..usually you can choose say wpa2 and set a password... and usually the default would be no encryption.

As long as you can log into the router that is...they usually have a default password on the case... or something like 1234...the makers website might help. That can be changed too and should be.

Again with the default lucid driver it may not work anyway for that wifi device.

mike

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »

Try using Frisbee for wireless.

In both.See what happens.

I would also try 3 headed dog..as explained above.
Forget the other connection crap.

Does your adaptor start to blink when wireless is scanned?

:::::::;;

I have an Ralink 2860 wireless adapter...this

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_ralink ... s_lan_card

Asus RT-N66R wireless router.

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Netw ... vQodzgMAzA

Chris.

elchucko

#9 Post by elchucko »

Chris, both my adapter and router are exactly as described. The router key has 8 digits as I setup during my initial install. Both PCs (one with Windows 7 and Linux mint boot and log on to the internet). Using the PC in question, I can boot LinuxMint and the display is normal and I can log on to the internet. Booting Puppy looks normal but when I attempt to use the PC on the internet it fails to establish connection. I'll try what you suggested. Thank you for assisting me. (and Mike)

elchucko

#10 Post by elchucko »

I just installed Slacko 5.7. It boots and displays as expected and connects to the internet! Wow, I'm elated. Now to play with the O/S. I'll give up on Puppy and early Slacko releases. Thanks to all that have posted comments, you've really helped me. So far Slacko looks good enough for me to dump Linux Mint and Windows7! All problems solved!
Last edited by elchucko on Thu 28 May 2015, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#11 Post by cthisbear »

elchucko"

Thanks for posting back.

Just edit your post as Solved...that helps out others.

How to change Asus router security key? Solved

And did you use Frisbee?

Also....keep Windows but Love Puppy is my mantra.

You may just want it to do something that's
not so easy in Linux.

Just run Ccleaner, stop the startups, stop Windows updates,
remove all the Antivirus software and install Malwarebytes
Antimalware Free Edition...and untick the Trial of the full version,
and set System restore to 1 percent...and your PC
will move along a bit faster.

::::

Cheers....Chris.

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

So me guessing having the STA driver was the fix since thats usually included in later pups... lsmod will show what is being used.
Just run Ccleaner, stop the startups, stop Windows updates,
remove all the Antivirus software and install Malwarebytes
Antimalware Free Edition
isn't that just changing one for another?

None of that junk and remove IE/outlook/wmp7+ and messenger... then you fly ..and never get anything resembling an infection. :)

How did windows get in here? And all our favourite software uses it...linux is for the boring stuff :D

mike

elchucko

#13 Post by elchucko »

cthisbear, I used frisbee, didn't change my router security key and answered questions frisbee asked during the install process of Slacko 5.7. Puppy 5.8 would not accept the router's key even though it was never changed. Thank you!

elchucko

#14 Post by elchucko »

mikeb, I've formatted my hard drive and eliminated all partitions then installed Slacko 5.7. Is there anything else I should add or change? Example dual boot with Windows or Linux for that matter.

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Well unless you clone its usually better to install windows first and give it its own partition.

It all depends on what you want..if slacko does all you need then worry not... adding more pups is easy if done frugally.

mike

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

boobs