Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 17 Aug 2019, 14:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
BIT METER OS 0.7.6 (stable) & 0.8.0 (experimental)
Page 10 of 15 [223 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 04:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
IE under wine

hope you are running that as a user....

Puppy overload...try something else for a while Wink

Seems like we have close to a final pet....tested and working on a bunch of pups now

Also not had any strange ram usage behaviour recently...perhaps the delayed startup helps.
Would we do a similar pet of the 0.7.8 stable anyway?

mike in the mud
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 09:42    Post subject:  

G'day, David.

Glad to hear you're 'up-and-running' with your multiple Pups. Geoff's done a marvellous job with this, hasn't he? Yet, in essence, the modification has been minimal.....as all the best things usually are; simple, & elegantly executed. I suspect the most time-consuming part of all this, for all of us involved, has been the continuous installing, uninstalling, re-installing, and testing, testing, testing!

As far as the browsers themselves go, well.....I've been able to pick up the 'original' BitMeter (0.7.6) with Chromium, FireFox and PaleMoon (which is TahrPup's default browser, as I think you know), right from the first moment I installed it. It had always worked successfully in Ubuntu 14.04, which was what I started out in the Linux world with; so I didn't really expect any trouble from that quarter. And with many Pups being based on various Ubuntu distros, I didn't antipicate too much trouble with using the .deb packages. Even now, all three of my Pups are running my Epson 'all-in-one' via an Epson .deb file.

Of course, it goes without saying; any browser worthy of the name has, by its very nature, got to be able to work with the local 'loop-back', as well as t'internet...

In some respects, this has been an interesting excercise; we've ended up doing something with BitMeter that I suspect maybe hadn't occurred to Rob himself.....although it does rely heavily on Puppy's rather unusual use of sym-links!

'Nuff said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: Those 3 sfs's I mentioned that are common to all 3 of my Pups? Earlier this afternoon,. I moved them from Tahrpup's /mnt/home to sda6, my 'common Data' partition, where the 'bitmeter.db file lives. I then sym-linked them back to /mnt/home. They work perfectly.

So I've repeated the process for Slacko 570 (sda2) and ETP's 'ChromeBook Pup' (sda3); this time, deleting them from /mnt/home, then sym-linking those same 3 sfs's into /mnt/home from the 'Common Data' partition. Again, with complete success.

So; thanks for that! Not that I'm exactly strapped for space with my Pups, what with each 'frugal' having it's own 25 GB partition.....but it always seemed vaguely silly having the same apps installed in several different places on the same hard drive. Now, all 3 Pups are using the same sfs's.

This suits me, 'cos with Skype, in particular, I've always had a bit of a problem with the 'cloud' picking up on differences in the 'chat' history.....depending on who I've been chatting with, and from which Puppy. I often have gaps in the chat history, The 'cloud' is supposed to eliminate problems like that, but it still occasionally gets it wrong...!

Something else I've 'sorted' today. Cheers!

Regards,

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 24 May 2015, 17:25; edited 7 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 09:54    Post subject:  

Morning, Michael. (sorry; afternoon...)

Running IE under Wine? Hell. Good luck with that. Even when I did run Windows, I used IE as little as possible. I started using FireFox from quite early on in its history.

It is unfortunate, though, how bloated it now appears to be getting. It used to be nimble on its feet, and very quick; nowadays, it appears to 'chug' along in second gear, most of the time. It's partly why I switched to, and started using Chromium. And peebee's made it so easy to stay up-to-date with it...

Mike 2 Mike. Wink

mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 15:25    Post subject:  

Yes symlinking sfs should work ok..as long as you are on posix filesystems.... Like you, sharing compatible ones simply made sense...doing it in the initrd simply means it works on ntfs and FAT too.

I just stick to older firefox/seamonkey... you never know they might get a grip on themselves.
After all firefox was born out of netscape and one of the reasons was due to the latter's excessive growth.

I can happily wipe the boot part of the MBR with certain games run on wine...thats why I would be uncomfortable with IE and its affinity for virii...
When I have had to suffer IE code then a QEMU virtual machine is the closest it gets. For web page validation there are sites that can do it for you so no need to get your hands or system dirty.

Bitmeter (look on topic) ..thats it...just threw that in there Very Happy

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 17:23    Post subject:  

Hi, Mike.

Yes, I can understand why you've done things the way you have. In my case though, I have no need to, since I'm one of those relatively rare creatures.....100% Linux; not a Windoze machine in sight (and neither the desire, or the need, to run one any more).

Linux will do everything I want. Puppy does it with a lot more ease of use than many other distros...and with a certain amount of flair, too..!

Mike 2 Mike.

mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 17:51    Post subject:  

Quote:
and with a certain amount of flair, too..!

never got on with flairs....made too much noise when walking....

got far too much funky software to not use windows......

So the first post of this rather busy thread has fattened out nicely.

That's what you get for opening yer mouth.... worth the ride indeed Smile

Well in my usual 'spaced out returned from boat phase'..will sleep it off and be back to my usual annoying self tomorrow Very Happy

mike
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 18:53    Post subject:  

Sorry to interrupt the chit chat Wink , but here's another, I added the database installer to 0.7.6 32 bit version.
bitmeteros_0.7.6-all-32bit-pups.pet
I haven't tried it but it's the same as the other one less the libcap fix

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 04:04    Post subject:  

Ah nice one... well I very much doubt if there will be a problem with that 0.7.6 allrounder pet ...as you say the only change is the libpcap.
So 2 for 2 Smile Will give it a quick test .

Yes the Mike vs Mike threads do ...erm...stray..
We need the equivalent of those victorian contraptions for keeping subjects still for ages while having their photograph taken.

mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 04:53    Post subject:  

Hmm did a quick test on 4.12 but it has the start-stop-daemon rather than your simplified start up scripts and no /var/log/bitmeter folder appeared so it would not log... almost like an earlier pet....

mike
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 05:01    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Hmm did a quick test on 4.12 but it has the start-stop-daemon rather than your simplified start up scripts and no /var/log/bitmeter folder appeared so it would not log... almost like an earlier pet....

mike

Ah, ok I'll fix that, silly me.

Edit fixed

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 05:28    Post subject:  

Smile thanks

There is something about this app that made me get confused ....cannot put my finger on it but I made some silly mistakes along the way.
Or I am falling to bits which is more likely the cause Very Happy

mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 08:20    Post subject:  

me again

seems 0.7.6 is more picky about having the /var/log/bitmeter folder in place even if not used..
Also pkill does not appear to be in all puppies...just noticed that one.

..coffee needed...

mike
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 16:21    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
me again

seems 0.7.6 is more picky about having the /var/log/bitmeter folder in place even if not used..
Also pkill does not appear to be in all puppies...just noticed that one.

..coffee needed...

mike

More drama, it should work changing this line
Code:
#pkill -f $PROC
kill `ps aux | grep $PROC | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 17:00    Post subject:  

Sorry I have a habit of finding stuff...whether I want to or not....thats a general affliction and not just software.

I went for a sloppy killall $PROC .... pkill and pgrep are useful tools but puppy tends to get a bit minimalistic at times. They have been added to busybox it seems over time...at least here.

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2015, 07:54    Post subject:  

@Geoffrey:-

Morning, Geoff. Been busy for a few days, and haven't been paying too much attention to this thread of mine.

Now then; query. Would you say your .pets are ready for publication? BitMeterOS 0.8.0 with the linked common bitmeter.db file has been playing happily with my 3 Pups for the last week or so. I've got the OP updated as far as the current state of play.

Are they ready for the big time, or can you think of any more mods that may need doing?

And this is what I would like an answer to; do you want a download link on the 'CodeBox' website.....or would you prefer to leave them where they are, and I leave the links'n'stuff as they are? I just want to know how you'd like to play it, and I'll set up the rest...OK?

Mike. Wink

Page 10 of 15 [223 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Jump to: