Single GPU vs Crossfire

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
jp734

Single GPU vs Crossfire

#1 Post by jp734 »

I'm thinking about setting up my system using crossfire but wondering what the advantage is when one slot is only PCIe x8 compared to one gpu using the x16 slot. I will be using identical cards.
Last edited by jp734 on Fri 22 May 2015, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

With Crossfire, I believe it allows you to use 2 or more cards as one. So if you use have two cards with 1GB of memory, it would be like having one card with 2GB of memory.

jp734

#3 Post by jp734 »

Thanks for the reply. I understand that but my question is, if I am using two identical cards but one is placed on x16 slot and the other one is on x8, it will probably use the x8 speed. So what is the advantage of doing it compared to using one card using x16 speed?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

With two cards, you will always see some improvement.
X8 or X16 is not that much of an issue with older hardware.

Really new graphics cards are going to need two X16 slots.

If you are trying to crossfire some really old cards. Just for the vast improvement in hardware ability, you may be better off just getting one newer card.

Need to make sure your power supply and motherboard can support the two cards.

What you are going to run with the graphics is also a big factor.

Unless you are running some of the newest games, the one card you already have is all you probably need.

Google for comparisons of single card vs crossfire, for the graphics cards you want to use.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jp734

#5 Post by jp734 »

I do drawings for work using Microsoft Visio. Company issued a laptop with i5 quad 2.4GHz with an intel and AMD graphics. Sometimes when I draw I have to really zoom in to place the line on the right spot and when I zoom in, it sometimes takes 10-15 seconds to focus before it lets you make another line. At work we also have a dell desktop with i7 4790 and an nvidia graphics card (forgot the model) and I was disappointed. I was expecting a lot more, better performance.

At home, I have a Core 2 Quad Q9500 with ATi radeon HD 5450, and for some reason, it responds a lot faster than the two, seriously. It obviously can't be the processor so I figure it's gotta be the gpu and that's what made me think about "crossfire" setup ( two HD 5450)