(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 23 Oct 2020, 02:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-700/701 [April 22 2015] [CLOSED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 42 of 79 [1173 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, ..., 77, 78, 79 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2015, 05:16    Post subject:  

The reason I want you to test again is because from the dmesg output, somehow the new driver is not loaded, so I am giving some instructions to try to load it. If you think it's not worth your time then let's forget about.

Regarding compiling new kernel module, I already told you how to do it, here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=845501#845501. Other source packages may have different build instructions, you will have to read the README inside the tarball.

Manufacturer's drivers usually don't track kernel updates very well, they usually lag in catching up with newer kernels. That's why you read that the latest realtek driver only supports up to kernel 3.9. Most likely you will need some additional patches to make it compile with newer 3.18.7. You have to hunt for these patches.

Windows driver is worthless here because Fatdog does not have ndiswrapper (which is required to run Windows drivers).

april

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2015, 05:34    Post subject:  

I did all you suggested a couple of times and played around with it for a couple of hours so I don't get where I said its not worth my time there. Its not worth pursuing this any more with you . I spend the time you deal a "try this" off the cuff.

You know your distro - I don't .Why then doesn't the recompiled driver load ? Putting them in and out might be easy for you but it is not for me . I pointed to the directory it went into and you said that was the right one . The file you sent didn't put it there did it? maybe its not important where it goes . I don't know

I appreciate the little time you have given it anyhow
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2015, 05:51    Post subject:  

@SFR: Patch for Extract-Tarball/Zipball merged (http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=843750#843750) merged, thanks.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2015, 06:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
I did all you suggested a couple of times and played around with it for a couple of hours so I don't get where I said its not worth my time there.
You said "Yeh OK well it just isn't working is it . Wasting a lot of time fiddling." and you didn't confirm whether you did or did not follow my instructions, and/or any output/result you saw. So I concluded that you didn't do it because you think it will waste your time (in other words, following the suggestion "is not worth your time").

Quote:
Its not worth pursuing this any more with you . I spend the time you deal a "try this" off the cuff.
Sure - it's your problem, your call. I am just trying to help, but some problems are more tricky than others and don't have instant answer, if that's what you're looking for.

april wrote:
Why then doesn't the recompiled driver load ?
I don't know, and there are thousands of reason why it won't load. That's why I gave you the instructions to forcefully load it manually, and see how it goes. It may be as simple as the driver is not suitable for your hardware, but then again, it may be something else.

Quote:
Putting them in and out might be easy for you but it is not for me .
Did you follow my instructions? All you need to do was download the txz package, bring it to the problematic machine (with USB flash drive or whatever), remove the fake ".gz" extension, and then right-click on it, and choose "install package"? To remove it, then just use "removepkg" or use gslapt to uninstall it.

Quote:
I pointed to the directory it went into and you said that was the right one . The file you sent didn't put it there did it? maybe its not important where it goes . I don't know
If you install it as I said above, the file would have been installed int /lib/modules/3.18.7/misc. That is as good place as any. But you would need to run "depmod -a", otherwise the kernel won't even notice that it is there. The install script on the package should have done it - but again, if it does not, we will know when we try to load it manually.

To end, I asked you this much earlier -- before both of us went into the time sinks of compiling a 3rd party kernel module and testing ig --of which I didn't see a reply either: did running "ping 8.8.8.8" (and let it run continously) in a terminal window solve your connection problem (when using the original driver)? This is also the suggestion that has been used by many others (myself personally in the long past) with great success.

Quote:
I appreciate the little time you have given it anyhow
While I appreciate your gesture, how do you know how little or how much time I spent on your problem? How do you conclude that you spent more time than me when trying to fix this?
L18L

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2015, 08:55    Post subject: Fatdog64-700/701
Subject description: README marked down

Another object of "making translatable": README
Code:
# find /usr /etc /var /root -name README.txt
/etc/xdg/Startup/README.txt
/etc/xdg/templates/README.txt
/etc/init.d/README.txt
/root/spot/README.txt
/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/README.txt
#

converted to README.md
some README.md attached (including MIME-type).
Thus you can view them by simple left click if you have installed markdown viewer.

Translators get README.pot by:
Code:
xgettext-md README "" "`find /usr /etc /var /root -name README.md`"
someREADME.md.tar.gz
Description  expand to /
gz

Download 
Filename  someREADME.md.tar.gz 
Filesize  6.31 KB 
Downloaded  253 Time(s) 
Yoliano

PostPosted: Sat 23 May 2015, 12:36    Post subject: Fatdog64-701
Subject description: Configuring Eztables

@jamesbond
Thanks for your advice. “# service eztables start/stop” works well in
session, without changing preferences. Also, it is easier to type than the
version I posted.
I have attached a screenshot of my configuration of “eztables.conf” as
requested, together with one of the terminal printout resulting from my
attempt to start eztables with that configuration.
Please note that: “APPSERVER1=192.168.1.184“ is the IP Address of my
PC which my ISP advised to me when I signed up with them. But I note that
if I go to: “Control Panel>System>System Info>Network>Interfaces” I find:
eth0=192.168.1.1
Also, in ARP Table: eth0=192.168.1.254
I have tried configuring both of these alternatives, but get he same result
when I try to start eztables. So I guess that there is something wrong with
my configuration syntax! The ports which I have configured to allow are
those used by “Psip” and “Spotify”.
Further, I have entered into the software of my router and have “Port
Forwarded” those same ports to “eth0“, using “192.168.1.184“, as above.
Any help you can offer will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
eztables-start.jpeg
 Description   
 Filesize   53.7 KB
 Viewed   1083 Time(s)

eztables-start.jpeg

eztables.conf-yoliano.jpeg
 Description   
 Filesize   80.47 KB
 Viewed   1061 Time(s)

eztables.conf-yoliano.jpeg

configX

PostPosted: Sat 23 May 2015, 16:04    Post subject:  Reboot Loop  

James & Kirk,

Fantastic release and puppy distro! Thanks for all of your work on this.

Overall the experience on my Acer C720P (Chromebook) has been great but I did run into a couple of issues.

1. If I put Fatdog onto a USB using Unetbootin it boots up just fine. However, if I install it to a USB via dd or the Fatdog installer then it goes into a boot loop. What I mean by that is that I get the boot menu but after selecting an option it simply reboots the computer. I've experienced this with other distros as well but can't figure out what it is about Unetbootin that gets around this issue. I'm hoping somebody here might know a solution. My Google-fu didn't turn up anything yet. I've even tried remastering Fatdog with and without EFI but get the same outcome.

2. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not but the Openbox menu doesn't have anything listed in the Desktop category.
SFR

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 08:04    Post subject: GTK missing stock icons  

I finally found a fix for missing icons in titlebar and SpaceFM:

http://ftp.linux.org.tr/slackware/slackware-14.1/source/l/gtk+2/gtk+-2.24.x.icon-compat.am.diff.gz
http://ftp.linux.org.tr/slackware/slackware-14.1/source/l/gtk+2/gtk+-2.24.x.icon-compat.diff.gz

I have compiled 2.24.27 with the above patches and stock icons are displayed properly in titlebar and in SpaceFM.
If anyone cares to try, here's the lib, compiled in FD64-701 (unpack and copy to /usr/lib64/):
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/02cf4d11
MD5: bbedeb02a1a39efc00b5c7f665aeb169 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.27.tar.gz

EDIT: lib recompiled and re-uploaded and the patch, modified by me (see here), attached.

Greetings!
gtk_stock_icons_fix.diff.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  gtk_stock_icons_fix.diff.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.84 KB 
Downloaded  262 Time(s) 
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   50.07 KB
 Viewed   983 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

Last edited by SFR on Mon 25 May 2015, 09:44; edited 3 times in total
kirk

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 08:09    Post subject:  

Quote:
Any chance for a specific chromebook C720 image, like the fatdog 631 version

Not right now. I think the c720_700-04515-x86_64-1 package in the repo sets up everything for the c720.

Quote:
If I put Fatdog onto a USB using Unetbootin it boots up just fine. However, if I install it to a USB via dd or the Fatdog installer then it goes into a boot loop. What I mean by that is that I get the boot menu but after selecting an option it simply reboots the computer. I've experienced this with other distros as well but can't figure out what it is about Unetbootin that gets around this issue. I'm hoping somebody here might know a solution. My Google-fu didn't turn up anything yet. I've even tried remastering Fatdog with and without EFI but get the same outcome.

Probably need the mem=1950m kernel boot option, it's a bug in the c720 firmware. Or you can split the main sfs file out of the initrd: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/huge-initrd.html
I'm using different firmware on my c720 now, got it from here: https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook-firmware/rom-download/ It fixes that problem along with a few others, but it does add a new bug, when you plug in the ac adapter it turns on the computer. I think it's better overall, but there is a risk of bricking your c720 when you flash the firmware.
proebler

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 09:57    Post subject:
Subject description: FD701 on C720

FD701 on C720 [no longer a chromebook]

I too have done away with anything chrome and have flashed the BIOS using johnlewis’ firmware.

The following has worked for me, using what is in the c720_700-04515-x86_64-1 package:
update /root/.sven
update /etc/xdg
update /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf
add /usr/bin/xvkbd
add /usr/lib64/libs [6x, not libvte.so.]
set the Touchpad via the Control Panel > Desktop > Adjust Touch Pad

save and reboot
with that the special keyboard functions
-Darker/Brighter ,
-Volume Control(s) [3x],
-Web Browser
now work.

Sound works too.
Suspend is fickle though.

I have found that the following should NOT be used:

-/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-touchpad-cmt.conf
it makes the touchpad pointer sluggish
-/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-mouse.conf
it prevents external mouse from working
-install/doinst.sh
it removes 50-synaptics.conf from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ ,which prevents synaptics from working.
50-synaptics.conf MUST NOT be removed.

NOTE, that this is with the original chromebook firmware removed.
I do not know whether a C720 with it’s original firmware will work in the same way.

I have not used other elements from the c720_700-04515-x86_64-1 package because I found them either not to having any effect or because I did not want them [i.e. vte, lxterminal, xvkbd.desktop]

Perhaps this helps someone.
cheers
proebler
kirk

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 12:34    Post subject:  

Quote:
-/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-touchpad-cmt.conf
it makes the touchpad pointer sluggish
-/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-mouse.conf
it prevents external mouse from working
-install/doinst.sh
it removes 50-synaptics.conf from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ ,which prevents synaptics from working.
50-synaptics.conf MUST NOT be removed.

By doing this you're back to using the normal synaptics driver, which is why you need the 50-synaptics.conf. The cmt touch pad driver works much better for me, it's a port of the google chrome driver. To adjust the settings for the cmt driver edit /root/Startup/touchpad.

Suspend is a problem, seems to change with every kernel. Really the only reason I might make a c720 iso. I think the problem is the ehci_hcd loads instead of xhci_hcd. That's built into the kernel, so a new kernel might be needed with ehci disabled. Also the stock firmware had problems with the tpm module, don't know if that's still the case. Lxterminal is included because the c720 doesn't have a insert key and rxvt is no fun without it Smile
step

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 17:14    Post subject: Re: GTK missing stock icons  

SFR wrote:
I finally found a fix for missing icons in titlebar and SpaceFM
This fix seems to partially solve my gtkdialog window/tree icon problem, too. It solves this case
Code:

echo '<window icon-name="gtk-open"><hbox><button ok></button></hbox></window>' | gtkdialog -c -s
but gtk-dialog-info is still not showing
Code:

echo '<window icon-name="gtk-dialog-info"><hbox><button ok></button></hbox></window>' | gtkdialog -c -s

and needs to be replaced with the new name dialog-information. I tried also gtk-info to no avail. The patch files list gtk-info but not gtk-dialog-info.

drunkjedi

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2015, 23:17    Post subject: Android tools package
Subject description: adb + fastboot

Hi everyone,

I wanted to root my Android. (Oneplus One)

So I made Android-Tools-5.1.0_r3-x86_64-1.txz package.
It contains just adb and fastboot.
Enough to do many things with your droid.

I made this package by taking source from
http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/development/android-tools/

It works nicely for me.

I hope it works for you too.
android-tools-5.1.0_r3-x86_64-1.txz.gz
Description  Android Tools package containing adb and fastboot.

Remove fake .gz before installing.
gz

Download 
Filename  android-tools-5.1.0_r3-x86_64-1.txz.gz 
Filesize  97.08 KB 
Downloaded  260 Time(s) 
proebler

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 07:20    Post subject:
Subject description: FD701 on C720

@ kirk
Thanks for the clarification about synaptics and cmt drivers.
I found the touchpad set up with synaptics quite acceptable and for that reason considered cmt unnecessary.

Using a new savefile I have now done a setup using all of the c720_700-04515-x86_64-1 package. [i.e. using cmt]
It works too, except for the external mouse issue already mentioned previously [and again fixed by removing 20-mouse.conf]
Using cmt comes at the loss of GUI-convenience for setting up the touchpad.

I find, that with cmt there is little or no difference to the working of the touchpad.
I adjusted tap pressure sensitivity in touchpad.sh to:
Code:
 xinput --set-float-prop 12 "Tap Minimum Pressure" 15

I like it to be responsive to a light touch.

When I first set up FatDog for the C720, I may have got confused by having to reboot.
Without the reboot sound appeared not correctly configured, synaptics could no longer be set, plus the external mouse did not work. That then lead me to not use cmt.

As for Lxterminal I readily agree that it has better functionality than rxvt.
In fact I had already installed it together with vte when I wrote the previous post, it's just that for the C720 simply to work, it would not be necessary.
Having it in FatDog by default would be a good thing I think.

Suspend is not a great issue.
As for a separate iso, a remaster will do just fine.

Thanks again,
proebler
SFR

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 07:36    Post subject: Re: GTK missing stock icons  

step wrote:
SFR wrote:
I finally found a fix for missing icons in titlebar and SpaceFM
This fix seems to partially solve my gtkdialog window/tree icon problem, too. It solves this case
Code:

echo '<window icon-name="gtk-open"><hbox><button ok></button></hbox></window>' | gtkdialog -c -s
but gtk-dialog-info is still not showing
Code:

echo '<window icon-name="gtk-dialog-info"><hbox><button ok></button></hbox></window>' | gtkdialog -c -s

and needs to be replaced with the new name dialog-information. I tried also gtk-info to no avail. The patch files list gtk-info but not gtk-dialog-info.

Hmm, at building time gtk-info and gtk-new are being symlinked to non-existent dialog-info.png and document-x-generic.png.
Should be dialog-information.png and text-x-generic.png.
I fixed both patches (also, added missing gtk-save) and recompiled the lib (see my previous post).
Thanks for spotting this, Step.

However, the patches are still incomplete and the following don't work:
  • gtk-dialog-authentication
  • gtk-dialog-error
  • gtk-dialog-info
  • gtk-dialog-question
  • gtk-dialog-warning

The problem is that these icons are in gtk+-2.24.27/gtk/stock-icons/48/, but only icons in 16 and 24 are being symlinked.
I'm not sure how to properly modify Makefile.am & Makefile.in to achieve this, though.
[EDIT: Ok, I managed to fix it as well - new patch & lib re-uploaded.]

Also, these don't work in titlebar, but I just checked in Lupu-528 and none of them worked, too, so I suppose that was intentional:
  • gtk-discard (?)
  • gtk-goto-first
  • gtk-goto-last
  • gtk-go-back
  • gtk-go-forward
  • gtk-indent
  • gtk-jump-to
  • gtk-media-forward
  • gtk-media-next
  • gtk-media-play
  • gtk-media-previous
  • gtk-media-rewind
  • gtk-redo
  • gtk-revert-to-saved
  • gtk-undelete
  • gtk-undo
  • gtk-unindent

F'N'R-1.9 - fixed a typo (thanks to step)

Greetings!

Page 42 of 79 [1173 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, ..., 77, 78, 79 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: