How do I share my internet connection?

Booting, installing, newbie

#1 Post by Guest »

Really i am the root.. thanks
So i want to share my internet connection, how can i do it easy?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Dialup? Broadband? Router modem?

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

What is your set-up? (What systems connected to what)

e.g.

"I have a home network. Right now the Computer running pupy is connected to the modem. I want to share that connection with the computer running <whatever> OS"

or

"I just have two disconnected computers, one running Puppy the other running <wathever>. I only have dial-up"

or something like that.

There are several ways to share a connection. Some easier, some cheaper. some more convinient.

raffy

A small ethernet

#4 Post by raffy »

Could we try the usual, small network with dial-up, usually using 192.168.0.1 as gateway. To skip the Windows interconnection problem, let us assume the other PCs are using Puppy, too.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Puppy has a masquerade client, which is for internet sharing -- you'll find it in the network menu, but I know nothing about to use it.
ummm, it does need a masqeurade server on the PC that has the Internet connection.

RobertB

#6 Post by RobertB »

I've looked through all the topics that seem related to this question, but I haven't found a simple answer to the question -- how do I share an Internet connection from Puppy?

Here's my setup:

On the heavy-as-a-safe old PC:
* Puppy 2.10
* Dialup internet connection (internal modem on /dev/ttyLT0)
* Ethernet card

On the laptop:
* Puppy 1.09
* Ethernet port (known to work with other networks)

The block-of-lead PC is able to connect to the Internet (I'm using it now). When I connect the two with a crossover cable, each one sees the network as active.

What do I need to do to the PC to allow the Laptop to share its Internet connection? It seems like I need to have a DHCP server on the PC -- I'll eventually make it the "router" in a wireless network setup.

By the way, my setup would be ideally suited to Coyote Linux -- that's what I've set up on another installation. But this PC doesn't play well with Coyotes, because I haven't figured out how to configure Coyote to use the the internal modem and I can't seem to find the right NIC identifier. Besides, this gives me a chance to learn a little more networking.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Puppy's networking wizard doesn't yet make this most basic connection as easy as connecting to the internet, but here and here are a few threads in the forum that might help.

RobertB

#8 Post by RobertB »

Flash wrote:Puppy's networking wizard doesn't yet make this most basic connection as easy as connecting to the internet, but here and here are a few threads in the forum that might help.
I'll try setting the laptop's IP address statically, if there's not an easy way to have the desktop assign one to it dynamically. Neither of those threads seems to address sharing the internet connection... but maybe it will just automagically work.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

I'm sorry, Robert; I didn't read your question carefully. :oops: I guess you need a router, which I know can be implemented in Linux. I don't know how easy it is to do though. A standalone router would certainly be simpler. Maybe you can find a used one cheap, from someone who is upgrading to a faster wireless router for instance. Wireless routers seem to include ports for wired ethernet, which can be used without the wireless part.

RobertB

#10 Post by RobertB »

Flash wrote:I'm sorry, Robert; I didn't read your question carefully. :oops: I guess you need a router, which I know can be implemented in Linux. I don't know how easy it is to do though. A standalone router would certainly be simpler. Maybe you can find a used one cheap, from someone who is upgrading to a faster wireless router for instance. Wireless routers seem to include ports for wired ethernet, which can be used without the wireless part.
Of course it would be simpler, but what would I learn from that? :)

I'll be able to run Coyote Linux just fine, once I figure out the name for the NIC and get an external modem. But if I can have two Puppys playing together on an Ethernet leash, it would be pretty cool.

Cheap is my middle name, by the way... the home network that I set up with Coyote Linux is an 802.11a wireless network -- because I got a great deal on "a" access points and bought four for less than 20 bucks including shipping. At least I don't have to worry about wardrivers! :)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#11 Post by Béèm »

Just to share my experience.
I have struggled with the same issue and wasn't able to find a software solution (as I had on my XP machine) for Internet Connection Sharing. Some firewall claimed they could do it, but I couldn't figure it out how.

Just by chance I got hold of a Philips ADSL Modem Multiservices which I use for testing Digital TV over ADSL. (after the test I may keep the modem)
The multiservices consist of a ADSL Modem, DHCP server, router, Firewall and wireless access point.

In a snap I could connect two machines at the same time to the internet, wheither they were both XP, both Puppy or one Puppy and one XP.

So the router way is certainly the easiest way.

ecomoney

Internet connection sharing

#12 Post by ecomoney »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9024

I had these same problems. IMHO puppy is missing this part and could serve an important role as a firewall and ICS machine, with a webbrowser and full computer suite built in! Firestarter seems ideal and follows puppy's user friendly ideology. If only I could get it to work!
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

bobbyok

2 ways to try

#13 Post by bobbyok »

I'm able to connect to my good old zoom usb 56k connection in Puppy 2 ways. The first is by simply using the Linux-Firewall Wizard provided in Puppy 2.12. If you go thru the custom setup there's a yes/no page to enable internet sharing.
The second is by following the instructions here:
http://www.linuxforum.com/linux_tutorials/5/1.php
In both instances I use a static IP setup on my net card and make sure I can access my other computers thru LinNeiborhood before I enable internet sharing.
Some pages wouldn't load on my remote computer but I was checking it with my trusty Ipaq pocket pc {wireless}. Some pages just don't like WinCE. I got good throughput on the pages that did load. I'll hook my laptop tomorrow to try that.
I'm a complete noob to linux and Puppy so you guys try this stuff and see.
Athlon xp1700+
768 megs ram
AOpen AON325 10/100
netopia wireless router

Compaq Ipaq 3670
SanDisk 128 meg combo wireless

ecomoney

#14 Post by ecomoney »

Thanks bobbyok

That is a great link, thanks. When we tried it we set it up as dhcp using the firewall wizard. This was with puppy 1.09cd so things may have been fixed since then Will test with a static IP shortly and report back. Im very nearly a newb myself (especially with networking). I think it would make a very important wizard to have in puppy (XP has it!!) that wouldnt take up much space.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

bobbyok

Internet Connection sharing

#15 Post by bobbyok »

Hey Ecomoney,
One thing I forgot to mention..on the pocket pc I had to look up and enter the primary and secondary dns numbers of my ISP.
I just double checked both methods and they work fine. I stumbled across an even easier way to set it up without a fire wall {like in the link I provided}. Just enter these 2 lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local :
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
It works everytime. I boot up, dial in and my connection sharing is good to go. Supposedly if you have cable or DSL you can substitute eth0 {or whatever eth your cable or dsl is connected to} for the ppp0 entry.
I'm going to go hook up my laptop now so I can check it out in XP. Will post results later.
Athlon xp1700+
768 megs ram
AOpen AON325 10/100
netopia wireless router

Compaq Ipaq 3670

ecomoney

Client Machine

#16 Post by ecomoney »

Thanks for that. What would I have to do on the client machine (the one the internet is being shared to), to enable this. I cant see a mention of another port in the script (where the net is sent "out" to).

bobbyok

Internet Connection Sharing

#17 Post by bobbyok »

Hey Ecomoney,
I'm on the XP laptop now sharing internet with my Puppy machine in the back room. Worked flawlessly. I had to go to control panel..network connections..and then properties of my lan connection. Go to the Internet Protocol {TCP/IP} properties and set up ip addresses and dns manually. Just takes a sec and you're up and going.
Athlon xp1700+
768 megs ram
AOpen AON325 10/100
netopia wireless router

Compaq Ipaq 3670

compaq presario 2100
athlon 2600+
960 megs ram
dell truemobile 1300 wireless

John Doe

#18 Post by John Doe »

Great vid Ecomoney

made me think a lot. Thanks for that!!

ecomoney

Connection

#19 Post by ecomoney »

Hi Bobby

I havnt used Windows XP for over two years now, how would the same thing be done using puppy? Would it be "static IP' under the ethernet wizard? What would I set it to, and whats "dns"...sorry complete networking newb here. Good news that it can be done at last though!

Cheers John
Last edited by ecomoney on Mon 01 Jan 2007, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyok

Internet Connection Sharing

#20 Post by bobbyok »

Hey Ecomoney,
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Got busy. I had to bring the laptop to the back room and wire it to my router. My laptop wireless adapter isn't puppy compatable.....yet.
Anyway..Puppy to Puppy internet sharing turned out to be a peice of cake. Here's what I did:
First- Set up your server machine{the one with the modem and either the firewall enabled sharing or the modified rc.local}.
Second- Fire up your client machine and go to the network wizard. Click on eth0{or whatever your eth is designated}. Click on static IP.
Enter your IP address = I use 192.168.0.10 for the laptop. This will be the IP address of your client machine...click ok. Enter your netmask = should pop up 255.255.255.0 automatically..click ok. Enter your default router = the IP address of your server machine. I have a very simple home network so mine is 192.168.0.1...click ok. Enter the IP address of a nameserver for resolving DNS names = the primary DNS IP of your internet service provider...click ok. That's it. Go to googling!
In my case I use att worldnet. I typed worldnet primary dns into google and the DNS numbers popped right up in the search. You can find most DNS numbers by going to your ISP's support webpage or simply call them and ask.
Whew..It took me longer to type this than it did to get the computers connected.

TO THE REAL PUPPY NETWORK GURU's OUT THERE:
The server/client setup here works well for me but you guys probably could come up with an easier setup than this{GUI maybe?}. Look it over and do your magic!