BIT METER OS 0.7.6 (stable) & 0.8.0 (experimental)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Mike Walsh

#61 Post by Mike Walsh »

No, we decided to go to Cromer for the afternoon; home of the famous 'Cromer crabs'...

Don't really know why we bothered. Nice enough in the sun, but there was a fresh nor'-easterly blowing on-shore yesterday. Out of the sun it was bloody freezing.

I remembered why I hadn't been to Cromer for years & years. 'Cos it's dead.....absolutely nothing to do there, and you haven't even got a proper beach....it's all shingle & pebbles.

And it's a neck-breaking trip from the top of the cliff to the seafront! Must be a 1 in 3 slope all the way down. Whoever said Norfolk was flat doesn't know what they're wittering on about...

Mike 2 Mike.

mikeb

#62 Post by mikeb »

Ah yes...did pop into Cromer...once :D

hunstanton has nice beaches.... was closest to milton keynes too.
But after that as you say its stony and lots of men with wellies wanting to charge you to stop in a field for the priviledge

mike

peebee

#63 Post by peebee »

I downloaded the 0.8.0 version onto LxPupTahr-15.03

I had to edit:
/var/lib/bitmeter/runweb.sh
to get it to pickup defaultbrowser

I used sns to make a wifi connection.....bitmeteros didn't see the connection or any traffic - see screenie.

Check dependencies doesn't indicate any missing lib problems.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong??
Attachments
bitmeteros.png
(96.3 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Geoffrey

#64 Post by Geoffrey »

peebee, check the task manager to see if bmcapture running, if not run /etc/init.d/bitmeter start in the terminal.

I'm downloading LxPupTahr-15.03.1-pae.iso so I'll try it in that and see what the problem is.

Weird that it didn't start the default browser.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

peebee

#65 Post by peebee »

Geoffrey wrote:peebee, check the task manager to see if bmcapture running, if not run /etc/init.d/bitmeter start in the terminal.

I'm downloading LxPupTahr-15.03.1-pae.iso so I'll try it in that and see what the problem is.

Weird that it didn't start the default browser.
Hi Geoffrey

I should have made clear I was using the .deb from the developers webpage not your pet......I also hadn't realised how many posts there'd been on this thread since I first looked at it....

Thanks - yes I had checked the Task Manager and both the daemons seemed to be running....

"defaultbrowser" is not in the list that is looked for.....3 variations on www-browser and firefox

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Geoffrey

#66 Post by Geoffrey »

peewee, well it works with the pet package in LxPupTahr-15.03.1-pae, did you create the /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.8 symlink that's needed.

It don't show on the first run of palemoon if run from the menu, but after that it works ok.
Attachments
bitmeter.jpg
(107.59 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

peebee

#67 Post by peebee »

Geoffrey wrote:peewee, well it works with the pet package in LxPupTahr-15.03.1-pae, did you create the /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.8 symlink that's needed.

It don't show on the first run of palemoon if run from the menu, but after that it works ok.
Hi Geoffrey

I believe (?) that link is already present in tahr-pup / LxPupTahr - it is only missing in Slacko-5.9.3 / LxPup.

Are you connected using sns and wifi??

[Later]Tried again but used Frisbee instead of sns - this time it worked - so looks like there is a problem with wifi connections made with sns?[/later]

Thanks
peebee

mikeb

#68 Post by mikeb »

Ok did some testing with curious results that may or may not be useful.

Tested on Lucid... used all root package....did not use any network detection.
0.8.0 runs but did not show any network usage (NaN) restarted bitmeter and still nothing to check if upset by initial lack of network.
Noted bitmeter was using 17MB!..4 threads.

0.7.8 As before... bitmeter does work...gathers data ok. Web interface refuses to show. Both daemons using 750k ram. 1 thread.

Now the fun bit... same constructed packages but testing on 4.12
0.8.0 runs but not showing any network usage. Restarted bitmeter and then did record data...functioning 100%. Ok network detection would help there.
bitmeter using 1MB 4 threads...

0.7.8 runs perfectly...no restart needed. both use 750k ram 1 thread.

In all cases network is eth0 wired lan. I did notice a delay for 0.8.0 to get going ...perhaps it needs to sort out between lan and internet at a guess.

So a right mixed bag of behaviour...and I see a similar mixture going on in this thread. Could the kernel be a factor ?

As for network perhaps move away from the included start/stop scripts to one that runs a script that provides a network happy startup of both daemons....just a rationalisation of geoffreys approach...more puppy friendly in other words.

mike

Geoffrey

#69 Post by Geoffrey »

peebee wrote:I believe (?) that link is already present in tahr-pup / LxPupTahr - it is only missing in Slacko-5.9.3 / LxPup.
Your right, libpcap.so.0.8 is in LxPupTahr, the pet only creates the link if it's not present.
Are you connected using sns and wifi??
I don't setup a connection, it's automatically detected from a clean boot on eth0 and on installing the .0.8.0 package bitmeter and bitmeterweb are started by the pinstallscript.sh.

On a reboot /root/Startup/xbitmeter restarts bitmeter once a connection as been established.

Geoff

mikeb

#70 Post by mikeb »

On a reboot /root/Startup/xbitmeter restarts bitmeter once a connection as been established.
would that end up with multiple instances if X was restarted?

mike

Geoffrey

#71 Post by Geoffrey »

mikeb wrote:
would that end up with multiple instances if X was restarted?

mike
Shouldn't, it stops it first.

Code: Select all

# /etc/init.d/bitmeter restart
Stopping BitMeter Capture daemon: bmcapture.
Starting BitMeter Capture daemon: bmcapture.
Attachments
restart.jpg
(74.66 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

mikeb

#72 Post by mikeb »

well that would do the do indeedy. I tend to think of startup for X apps.

I noticed you have a fair amount of ram taken by bitmeter...seems to be the case with the 0.8.0 release... I had 1MB when happy and a mad 17MB when not.... thats reserved which I tend to use as an indicator of ram use...figures from htop.

mike

Geoffrey

#73 Post by Geoffrey »

You had me worried about that for a moment there, I couldn't remember if I had start or restart.

Yeah it does seem to be a little on the hungry side

Geoff

Mike Walsh

#74 Post by Mike Walsh »

peebee wrote:
....Are you connected using sns and wifi??

Tried again but used Frisbee instead of sns - this time it worked - so looks like there is a problem with wifi connections made with sns?
Hi, peebee.

Like you, I too am quite surprised at the number of posts we've had in this thread since I started it a few days ago!

I've only recently started using 0.8.0 (basically since Geoffrey made the .pet for it, after getting interested in the thread). I've always used Dougal's for my network connections; eth0 here on my big Compaq desktop, and wlan0 on my old Dell Inspiron lappie.

Never had any problems getting a connection.

As I understand it (and I'm quite new to Linux, and Puppy), Geoffrey's .pet auto-starts the network connection once it's been detected. When I was using 0.7.6 originally (installed directly as a.deb file), I didn't have any start-up problems; it just 'ran'. I think the start-up problem in 0.8.0 is possibly linked to the way BitMeterOS is detecting and presenting both internet usage AND total usage (including your lan).....and could be due to the way Rob Dawson wrote it? Don't know enough to be able to say...

Mikeb did discover, a few pages back, that the original 0.7.6 WAS detecting both sets of data.....it's just that the web interface in that version wasn't set-up to display it.

I'm using Geoffrey's .pet of 0.8.0 in YOUR newest Chromium .sfs, on both the desktop AND the old Dell.....and it appears to be working flawlessly. No problems so far....

The only slight snag I have is that the TP-LInk wireless adapter I'm using on the old Dell doesn't auto-connect at start-up, so has to be started manually.....but that's always the first thing I do after boot anyway. Have to use the adapter because the 1100 Inspiron never came with a wireless card, unlike its big brother, the 5100, which did. But we ARE talking 13-yr old technology here...!

Thanks for the Chromium .sfs!

Regards,

Mike. :)

Mike Walsh

#75 Post by Mike Walsh »

@Geoffrey:-

I believe you and Mike ARE right; 0.8.0 does seem to be a lot 'hungrier' than 0.7.6. Even I've found figures in the region of 18MB, using Htop.

0.7.6 is quite delicate, compared to that. I suppose it's the old story again; do you want a basic app.....or do you want all the bells and whistles?

Obviously, it won't make much difference if you have several GB of RAM to play with (as is the case on my desktop), but if you're in the 'upto a gig' bracket (as is the case with a lot of older hardware, including MY old Dell), then it might be wiser to recommend to people that they use the stable 'version'...

What do you think?

mikeb

#76 Post by mikeb »

Well my feeling is the beta is a beta..ie the ram usage may improve in time. Its also more sensitive to the network state.

My tests also show differences in behaviour with pups...so anyone finding problems may be suffering from that phenomenom..indeed it was not messed up permissions in my case but a problem running in Lucid...4.12 works OOTB.

Perhaps we need to give the developer this feedback...a link to this thread might help him/her.

mike

Mike Walsh

#77 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, Michael.

Yeah; I think that's probably nearer the mark, actually. I'm guessing there probably are differences with the great variety of kernels in use by all the Pups & Puplets out there...and of course this will create problems in one respect or another.

I'll look into seeing if I can link this thread to Rob Dawson's site, and see if I can let him have some feedback. At least I'll find out that way if this is still under current development or not.

Cheers for the suggestion.

Mike 2 Mike. :D

mikeb

#78 Post by mikeb »

Well gave a test on a Lucid based distro but not puppy... same behaviour for 0.7.8 (no web) but working for 0.8.0...8 threads 1.7MB by the way. Using a wifi dongle in this case. Seems for 0.7.8 local connection is being blocked for some reason...cannot work out the logic there.

One note for testers...a database written by 0.7.8 will prevent 0.8.0 starting..you will get an error message in the log. Might cause a few red herrings. The reverse may also apply.

mike

Mike Walsh

#79 Post by Mike Walsh »

@MikeB:-

I've acted upon your suggestion, and have sent a message to Rob Dawson via the 'Feedback' tab on his site. I've also left him a link to this thread, so.....if he's interested enough, he'll take a look, I guess.

Mike 2 Mike. :)

mikeb

#80 Post by mikeb »

Now if only he was called Mike Dawson ;)

mike