Wine and Puppy 2.12 and 2.13 beta - (SOLVED)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
JB4x4

Wine and Puppy 2.12 and 2.13 beta - (SOLVED)

#1 Post by JB4x4 »

See my last post for more info.

I set out this morning to see why the newer versions of Wine and Puppy are not getting along. The Wine I am using is a Slackware build made into a .sfs

Example 1 - Wine 0.9.27 - Puppy 2.12: Trying to run any program results in "Segmentation Fault".

Example 2 - Wine 0.9.27 - Puppy 2.11: Did not get "Segmentation Fault, but trying to run a Win program results in many errors before wine exits.

Example 3 - Wine 0.9.27 - Puppy 2.10: Limited testing shows that this combination works - did get a few errors on wineprefixcreate, so I created a fake wine drive on my Slackware box and copied it to Puppy.

Example 4 - Wine 0.9.27 - Puppy 2.02: Same as with 2.10

I guess I was wondering what the major changes from 2.10 to 2.11 where that might be causing the Wine instability. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JB
Last edited by JB4x4 on Sun 24 Dec 2006, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

The same happens to me. I'm running 2.10 right now because of wine. Have you got older versions of wine to work on 2.12?

Eyes-Only

#3 Post by Eyes-Only »

Just a wild shot in the dark as I'm not a programmer (I was a Gecko and chat programmer in a former life long ago but lost it all due to a brain injury :( ) but the one thing I immediately noticed here guys? BarryK turned to T2 for the compiling of Puppy around there---whatever "T2" is? So I'm wondering if perhaps that might have something to do with it?

Interesting idea and it's neat how you've taken the time JB4 to actually do a trace-back on it to see just WHEN the problem arose. That's excellent beta-testing. :)

Hope some of the programmers happen by to see this and can therefore correct it as I have friends who depend heavily upon wine in Puppy. Thanks for the hints!

Keep up the great testing you two!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

jediborger

#4 Post by jediborger »

I have run into problems with puppy 2.12 and wine. I even recompiled wine completely under 2.12 but I keep getting the same with the creation of the fake wine drive. When I run winecfg I get some errors about not being able to create the .wine directory and then everything fails because of that.

So something was changed between 2.11 and 2.12 that wine doesn't work.

Any opinions on why this is happening?

JB4x4

#5 Post by JB4x4 »

If i recall Puppy 2.10 was the start of using T2 to build puppy from source. Puppy 2.10 was running Kernel 2.6.16.7 and using the extra LZMA compression. This version of Puppy still played nice with the "newer" Wine. As far as I can tell, the problems with Wine started when Puppy moved to 2.11. The same Kernel was retained (2.6.16.7) and the extra compression was eliminated, but other than that I don't know what else changed.

joki

#6 Post by joki »

i had the opposite problem. 2.10 wouldnt work (id get seg faults etc) but 2.12 does.

im using 2.12 frugal and wine 0.9.22 sfs primarily for the 1by1 music player.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Ian »

I hate to say this but, Wine is brilliant but not the answer to MS clutter.

joki

#8 Post by joki »

Ian wrote:I hate to say this but, Wine is brilliant but not the answer to MS clutter.
you're quite right. but there are a few windows-only apps with no viable native alternatives. it's also about familiarity - if you use both os's it's nice to be able to use the same app on both.

WhoDo

#9 Post by WhoDo »

jediborger wrote:I have run into problems with puppy 2.12 and wine. I even recompiled wine completely under 2.12 but I keep getting the same with the creation of the fake wine drive. When I run winecfg I get some errors about not being able to create the .wine directory and then everything fails because of that.

So something was changed between 2.11 and 2.12 that wine doesn't work.

Any opinions on why this is happening?
I'm using Wine 0.9.17 because of problems with later versions. The earlier version works fine under Puppy 2.12 - I have 3 installations; frugal with pup_save.3fs, frugal saved to partition and full hdd install. All work fine with that version of wine.

On the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle, I have no plans to upgrade to later versions. When they're regarded as stable, then I'll reconsider.

Cheers

MU

#10 Post by MU »

In Muppy 006 (based on Puppy 212) I also encounter unpredictable crashes with the included "demo" wordview using wine 0.9.22.
I did not encounter that in earlier versions based on Puppy 2.11.

I might revert back to wine 0.9.17 if that runs more stable, thanks whodo.

If someone has problems that you cannot create /root/.wine, here are dotpups ("drive_c")including it:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Emulators/Wine-0.9.22/

Mark

Carpe.Diem

Wine 0.9.22 and Puppy 2.12

#11 Post by Carpe.Diem »

Funny how some things work and then don't. I've been reinstalling and reinstalling Puppy 2.12 on various computers, testing different formats and setups, having LOADS of multisession and remastering problems, etc., and I really had Wine 0.9.22 working well once only (Wordview ran just fine and I was able to look at my Word documents with no troubles).

Now, all Wine does is "flash" the program (such as Opera and Wordview) on the screen momentarily and then the program closes (and repeated tries only produce the same result). I've installed this version of Wine more than a dozen times now, and only once did it work and I still don't know what was different the one time it worked (all pup file installations were "out of the box" without any unique setup's on my part).

Another oddity, when I go into the Wine configuration screen and click on the Audio tab, I always get the following error message in a box (then the entire configuration screen self-terminates):
fixme:
midi:
OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer supports MIDI in. Not yet supported.
err:
winecfg:
load_drives GetVolumeInformation() for 'A:
\' failed, setting serial to 0
I have no MIDI equipment connected to the particular computer on which I receive this message every time I click the Audio tab (and I've received it consistently on 2 computers), plus it's puzzling that is says "supports MIDI in" and "Not yet supported" on the same line. When I close the Wine configuration window without clicking on the Audio tab, I get a 3-line mini-version of the above quoted stuff too (BTW, I've never been able to even see the Audio tab, since it does what I've described above instead of opening, but all the other tabs DO open OK).

I've tried installing some of my favorite programs from Windows that have no Linux equivalents, but NONE of them run (absolutely nothing happens, and I mean they don't even "flash" on the screen), even though I have installed the ROX mime type pup file. I also made sure I put the program elements within the folder structure set up for Wine programs (and I did all of this after installing Wordview and/or Opera which set up the folder structures, but Wordview and Opera just "flash" and don't stay around). I've been careful to not choose programs that do an automatic Windows install (which I assume will not work since the folders in the Wine setup are not named traditionally according to the Windows conventions -- and BTW, is this necessary to skip Windows' installation programs that put some files in many places such as a program folder, and other files in various Windows folders, and also some things in the registry? - I ask since those installation programs didn't work for me either, and I've mainly stuck to programs which are just unzipped and copied as a single group into one program folder instead, though those don't work either).

It's a no-go at the moment, though I really would love to get Wine to work to help me decrease my Windows-dependencies, but as someone else said, sometimes there are no alternatives in Linux for what's "over there" in butterfly-land -- rats!
[color=blue][i]...Will Puppy Penguin swat poor Butterfly? Stay tuned...[/i][/color]

JB4x4

#12 Post by JB4x4 »

This works in Puppy 2.12 and 2.13 beta

Well, I have found a work around (maybe more of a hack), so any input would be appreciated.

It seems Puppy needs an updated version of glibc-solibs to work with the newer version of wine. Here is how I got everything to work.

Download glibc-solibs-2.3.6 here-
http://packages.slackware.it/package.ph ... 3.6-i486-6

Copy the file to / - untar it with the command tar -zxvf glibc*tgz - run the doinst.sh file - sh install/doinst.sh - and remove the /install directory - rm install -rf

From a command prompt, run the command "ldconfig"

Download wine 0.9.27
http://www.linuxpackages.net/download.php?id=9975

Do the same as you did with glibc -

Copy the file to / - untar it with the command tar -zxvf wine*tgz - run the doinst.sh file - sh install/doinst.sh - and remove the /install directory - rm install -rf

This should have wine working, but there will not be opengl support. You will still be able to run most programs but may see opengl errors. To get rid of the opengl errors install the pupget package "xorg_OPENGL-7.0" and the appropriate graphics drivers (mine happened to be Nvidia). This let me play OpenGL/DirectX Win games.