BIT METER OS 0.7.6 (stable) & 0.8.0 (experimental)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
mikeb

#21 Post by mikeb »

Those 'light' browsers are not so light anyway if you look at what they use..they just lack functions thats all.

Aww DSL....it was cute and looked nice...puppy was such an ugly biatch by comparison. The pup winning bonus was a working save system so was the first to get long term use. Anything else did not get on with the tiny amount of ram I had.

Yes usable distros are rare things...Nimblex hit my spot... used it ever since but gave it that puppy touch and used Xfce4 too...
Puppy is handy for testing ideas and giving things that trim approach...or at least it does for me...not so keen on its mini ubuntu likeness nowadays... thats big boy bloat that to me does not fit...but i am digressing which is apparently my trademark according to one thread :D

Ok back to the mooring and the weather went crap so its hot cuppas and indoor activities for us.

mike

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, now; that's not so bad.....

Not too keen on Midori. They've got summat on here you WOULD go for, Mike...FF 10. That's the newest version they've got!

I've improved matters somewhat, though. I now have Iron 17.0 installed; no flash player (no RADIO; arrgh!), but since it's based on Chrome/Chromium, at LEAST I've got access to my bookmarks (which is something..!)

I tried importing bookmarks into Midori, but the 'Importing Bookmarks' window just keeps freezing up...

Yes, the weather HAS gone all 'soggy' again...

Happy days!

Mike to Mike. :D

bigpup

#23 Post by bigpup »

Mike Walsh,

Thanks for the topic on this program :!: :!: :D .

One thing that will help.
As people offer fixes for problems and pets and sfs of the program. You need to update the first post to give info about it.

If there is now a pet or SFS, put a link to them in the first post.

Only you can edit that first post.

Thanks!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

SliTaz installation....sorted!

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Mike.

Been doing a bit of back & forth on the SliTaz forums, and I'm pleased to be able to report that I now finally have SliTaz installed to HDD...yay!

I've been trying to get this sorted out since before Xmas. Oh, it would always install.....but I could never get it to boot. Grub4DOS is quite happy to boot it.....as long as you remember to use the older terminology for this particular kernel (the 2.6.37 kernel). Must use 'Hda', instead of 'Sda' (!) Not something I'd come across before. That, and the fact that I'd missed out a space on the second line of the Grub entry; I'd put 'root(hd0,0)', instead of 'root (hd0,0)'...

I'm beginning to realise just how fussy Linux is, with everything being script-based. Must brush up on my proof reading skills.....

BTW, Iron's a pain in the a***; can't get my extensions up & running at all! I've switched to FF10; everything works there... :)

Mike 2 Mike.

mikeb

#25 Post by mikeb »

Ah Slitaz... i did wrap in the puppy wrappers just for a try out...did work ok...had it running in an image file...ie like a full install so no layering. Worked ok but was a beastie to get network working at the time.

Hda hard drive..yes slax stuck with that...I prefer it... gets confusing when EVERYTHING is sd......

Ok its you that goes offtopic...I am being led astray :D

mike

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeb wrote:Ok its you that goes offtopic...I am being led astray :D

mike
Sorry 'bout that, Michael. I'm rather good at going off-topic, aren't I?

Back to the subject. You know a wee bit more about this kind of thing than I do.....and if you don't ask questions, you don't get answers, and you never find anything out!

This 'workaround' of mavrothal's that Geoffrey's using; how do you actually get it into /root/Startup? I've temporarily 'given up' on 0.8.0; it starts up OK, and runs fine the first time round.....but upon restart, it's not clocking up the data usage. I believe you mentioned summat about the logs not being written to? Anyroad, for now I've gone back to 0.7.6; THAT'S never given me a moment's trouble. Always starts up good as gold.

I LIKE 0.8.0.....but it's no good if it doesn't start up and run each time.

Regards,

Mike. :)

Geoffrey

#27 Post by Geoffrey »

Mike Walsh wrote: This 'workaround' of mavrothal's that Geoffrey's using; how do you actually get it into /root/Startup?
I found that it needs a established network connection before /etc/init.d/bitmeter is run, that's why the script in /root/Startup

See if this sorts it out for you.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

IFCONFIG="`ifconfig | grep '^[pwe]' | grep -v 'wmaster'`"
while [ "$IFCONFIG" != "" ]; do
   sleep 1
    ping -c 1 8.8.8.8
    if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
      break
   else
      ping -c 1 www.google.com
      if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
         break
      fi
   fi
done

/etc/init.d/bitmeter restart
Attachments
xbitmeter.tar.gz
Extract to /root/Startup
(308 Bytes) Downloaded 400 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Geoffrey

#28 Post by Geoffrey »

I'm having more problems now, I tried in Vanguard and 0.8.0 shows nothing, even with the restart script, yet it worked in Carolina :?
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Mike Walsh

#29 Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks for that, Geoffrey! I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance.

Re; working in Carolina, but not Vanguard... Like I've said, I'm pretty new to Puppy, and Linux in general, so I can't offer much in the way of insight into this...but I'm guessing that with the huge number of Pups and 'puplets' out there, it would be a small miracle if BitMeter DID work on all of them, especially given the variety of kernels that are in use. You're probably more aware than I am that, unlike some of the major distros (Ubuntu, Debian itself, Fedora, OpenSuse, etc...and indeed any that are based on these), the Puppy kernels don't get automatically updated, unless we make the effort to upgrade them manually.

I've already stated that as far as I'm aware, not all Pups will work with .debs. As I understand it, Slacko is supposed to be based on Slackware (.rpm files?)...yet I've installed .deb files without a murmur in 570; which has surprised me somewhat..!

I suspect this is going to be one of those 'trial & error' things, with (hopefully) different members of the community chipping in with ideas, suggestions, 'workarounds', etc. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, anyway. I enjoy using Puppy so much, that I want to try and make at least some contribution to the community, no matter how small it may be...

BTW: This 'established' network connection that you mentioned. I don't have that particular problem on the 'big' Compaq, as that's permanently on Ethernet. I do, however, have this problem with 'Tahrpup' on the old Dell laptop (I use a USB TP-Link wireless adapter, as the Inspiron 1100 never came with an internal wifi card.....unlike the 5100, which was identical, yet which did). The wireless connection won't auto-connect, and I have to manually start it each time I boot. Using Samba-TNG as I do, this of course means that I have to remember to manually start that as well...

This is why I have these two icons on the Dell's desktop, which I made up myself (see attachment). The 'SMB-A/S' one runs rcrsn51's 'samba-autostart' script, which I dragged from /root/Startup onto the desktop and just added an icon. The second one merely runs YASSM's 'Share Search' (I can't be a***d to keep going into the menu for everything..!)

Regards,

Attachments
Icons1.jpg
(13.09 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 11 May 2015, 22:29, edited 2 times in total.

mikeb

#30 Post by mikeb »

I am not a child of confusion :)

Well I put it on the shelf fo a little while...but sounds like we are all getting some slightly erratic behaviour...I want to get to the bottom of the cause which may take a little time and head scratching.

Otherwise there should be no reason why this wont work on ANY pup...that is the beauty of it.

Mike

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

@Geoffrey:-

Thanks for your xbitmeter tar.gz.

I found that it needs an established network connection before /etc/init.d/bitmeter is run, that's why the script is in /root/Startup

See if this sorts it out for you.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

IFCONFIG="`ifconfig | grep '^[pwe]' | grep -v 'wmaster'`"
while [ "$IFCONFIG" != "" ]; do
sleep 1
ping -c 1 8.8.8.8
if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
break
else
ping -c 1 www.google.com
if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
break
fi
fi
done

/etc/init.d/bitmeter restart

Works a treat. What I did was un-install 0.7.6, delete the bitmeter directory in /root/.config, and re-booted. I then installed OscarTalks' .pet of the 0.8.0 version, as his starts the daemons, obviating a re-start. Started Chromium, and 'tabbed up' BitMeter; all working nicely.

Quit Chromium, and re-started it. As expected, the logs weren't updating... again. So; quit Chromium. Extracted your xbitmeter.tar.gz to /root/Startup. Checked with Geany...all present & correct.

Shut down, and re-booted. Back into Chromium, and re-started BitMeter; all behaving itself; logs now updating. Did a second shut-down, and re-boot (not strictly necessary, but I like to double-check things). Back into Chromium, and.....BitMeter 0.8.0 still working nicely! Excellent.

So; thanks for that. A nice, simple little 'workaround'; the best things usually are. Cheers, Geoffrey!

Appreciated.

Regards,

Mike. :D
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 12 May 2015, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeb wrote:I am not a child of confusion :)

Well I put it on the shelf fo a little while...but sounds like we are all getting some slightly erratic behaviour...I want to get to the bottom of the cause which may take a little time and head scratching.

Otherwise there should be no reason why this wont work on ANY pup...that is the beauty of it.

Mike

That's rather what I'm hoping, Michael. The basic concept is pretty simple.....and, as you say, there's no real reason why it shouldn't be able to work on all Pups, given a bit of thought.

It's not a particularly complex app, when all's said and done. A fair bit of 'window dressing', obviously; Rob's done a lovely job on it. But it's a very useful one.

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

What I use to detect a live network...

while [ "$SUBNET" = "" ]; do
	SUBNET=$(ifconfig | grep inet | grep -v 127.0.0.1 | awk '{print $2}' | cut -d ':' -f 2)
	sleep 20
done
could probably be simplified as thats looking for the subnet to check for live NFS shares.... but similar idea.

The non creation of the log was not caused by a lack of network though.

Back on dry land so will have another play unless we have a reproducible package now.
As mentioned its probably just messed up permissions during my tests.

Mike

Mike Walsh

#34 Post by Mike Walsh »

Now installed, and working nicely, in Slacko 5.7.0.....using OscarTalks' experimental 0.8.0 .pet, and employing Geoffrey's 'xbitmeter' start-up workaround (modified from mavrothal's original...thanks, mavrothal!)

And thanks to Geoffrey, too, for sharing.

Next up; to see if I can get it to work in ETP's OBPrecise 14.07.26 'ChromeBook' Pup. Precise is known for being a wee bit 'awkward'; watch this space.

Regards,

Geoffrey

#35 Post by Geoffrey »

Mike,
I got it working in Vanguard, I stuffed up the libpcap link, here's a command that finds libpcap.so.x.x.x excluding symbolic links to create the libpcap.so.0.8 link for version 0.8.0

LIBPCAP=`find /usr/lib -type f -name 'libpcap.so.*'`
ln -s "$LIBPCAP" /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.8
I don't know how to run this if the package is a sfs, a pet is easy enough using a pinstall.sh script.

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

Geoffrey wrote:Mike,
I got it working in Vanguard, I stuffed up the libpcap link.....
That's great, Geoffrey; excellent news. Well, you have at least had 5 years or so with Puppy.....and from the look of things, your scripting skills are certainly better than mine. I've had barely 6 months; 35 years of other OSs does not prepare you for the reality that is Linux, to say nothing of somewhat 'special' ones like Puppy.....but I already like it so much, I'll defend it to the death if necessary!
I don't know how to run this if the package is a sfs, a pet is easy enough using a pinstall.sh script.
Like I said, I am in no sense a developer.....but I did want to bring this to people's attention. This is where we need folk like 666philb, 01micko, OscarTalks, rcrsn51, mavrothal, et al., to (hopefully) get interested enough to volunteer some of their skills for us!

Still, we know it will at least work with Tahrpup, Slacko 570, Carolina, and now Vanguard. 4 down.....and about 400 more to go. It is at least a start...

Regards,

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

Don't forget lucid and 412...indeed it would be odder if it did not work in everything .. :)

Its also the most on topic thread so far :D

mike

Mike Walsh

#38 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hah!

You just had to put that in, didn't you, Mike? :lol:

Yes, indeedy; it does make a change for me, I must say. Well, we have success in ETP's OBPrecise 14.07.26 'ChromeBook' Pup (V.2), too. So, if we now add Lucid & 412 into the mix (and D-Pup 'Wheezy', that Oscar originally tried 0.8.0 in), that makes 8 for definite we know it's working in.....which is a good start.

Obviously, we'll have to rely on various other individuals being prepared to try it out in their 'Pups' of choice. If I gave into it, it could well take me from now till Xmas to try it out in every Pup & Puplet out there; don't fancy it, somehow...

We really need some testers for the 64-bit versions. I know 0.7.6 (stable) works perfectly in 64-bit Ubuntu & its derivatives.....but I'm afraid the 'buntus are no longer enjoying my patronage, so I can't try it out on them any more.

Slow & steady, that's the best way.....

I think I need to a start a list in the OP that lists the Pups known to work with it; give new viewers a 'heads-up' from the beginning.

Mike. :D
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 13 May 2015, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

Well perhaps i should have said it should be possible to make one pet that works for all.
I only knocked up the sfs for testing really.

And yes its my duty to rise from my tomb in the puppy basement and rattle a few chains now and then ;)

mike

Geoffrey

#40 Post by Geoffrey »

Here is bitmeteros-0.8.0-i386.pet.

I've included a pinstall.sh that creates the needed libpcap.so.0.8 symbolic link,

Copies /var/lib/bitmeter/bitmeter.db.new to /var/lib/bitmeter/bitmeter.db, was mentioned the database wasn't being created.

Runs the bitmeterweb start and bitmeter start

I'm guessing it should work in any pup

As always, use at your own peril :wink:

Edit: re-uploaded, changed so opens default browser created bitmeter.png so the icon shows in the menu with jwm, don't seem to like .ico.

Tested with Racy 5.2.9, Tahr 1.6.0.2, Wary 5.5, all work OOTB.