How to find the bandwidth my wifi is using?

Booting, installing, newbie
linuxwannabe

#21 Post by linuxwannabe »

Thanks for that tip bigpup.

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, linuxwannabe.

I hear ya; I know exactly where you're coming from. OK, so WE have a 20GB/month allowance.....but it soon goes. With only 1 GB/month you must REALLY have to watch your usage like a hawk...

I use an app called BitMeter OS. You can get a graphical, minute by minute readout. You can get a daily, monthly and yearly summary....updated in real-time. You can set alarms, calculate usage, and all sorts of other bits and bobs...

I have a mate, for whom I installed Ubuntu to replace a very sick Vista install. He, too, uses a Huawei dongle (a 7-yr old K3565), so he uses this as well. He also has a 1 GB/month data limit.

This is NOT a 'Windows program'. It's written for ALL platforms, including Linux. I'm using this in Tahrpup 6.02; don't know if it'll work in Wary, but hell, it's gotta be worth a try.

When it's installed, you monitor it via a tab in your browser.....so I have it book-marked, and it's the first tab I open when I fire Chromium up. And don't worry about that; it works in ALL browsers. You can get it from here:-

http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeteros/downloads

Don't bother with the experimental version (0.8.0); go for the stable version (0.7.6). You'll want the Linux 32-bit download. It comes as a .deb file, but that's OK, because it should install with no problems. Just click on it in your Downloads folder, same as you would for any .pet.

When you've installed it, open up your browser, and enter this in the address bar:-

localhost:2605/index.html

This is because it 'listens' on port 2605. All things being equal, BitMeterOS should show up within a few seconds. When it does, BOOKMARK it.....and put it on your bookmarks bar, somewhere near the start; or somewhere you can find it, easily.

It's not a RAM hog; uses somewhere in the region of about 800k-1 MB. If you're like me, and play around with multiple distros, of whatever Linux flavour (I run Xubuntu, Mint 17, and Slitaz among others...it works with them all), then save it where you can re-use it! If you need to, download both 32- AND 64-bit versions; it really is an invaluable tool.

Rob Dawson, the founder and maintainer of CodeBox, used to have an add-on for this, which would allow you to monitor usage between multiple OS's, but it's deprecated nowadays, and no longer under development.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Mike. :)

Note: See where I have it saved on the bookmarks bar... This is the 'Summary' tab.
Attachments
BM.O-S1.jpg
(42.52 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

linuxwannabe

#23 Post by linuxwannabe »

Wow_Mike_that_bitmeter_sounds_and_looks_fantastic!
Seems_very_similar_to_the_managment_utility_on_the_hauwei_stick.
Thanks!

(Sorry,_busted_spacebar)

bigpup

#24 Post by bigpup »

Mike Walsh,
Thanks for this BitMeter OS program.

How about you posting a topic about it in the Additional Software section of the forum? :D :idea:

Network section, maybe :idea:

It did make a menu entry in menu->Network, but as you state that is not the way to run it.
When clicked on, It did start the default browser , but just a blank page.
Wonder if there may be a way to make that work. :idea:

I think I fixed the menu entry. :D :idea:

I opened the file /var/lib/bitmeter/runweb.sh in a text editor.
I changed the first line to this:

Code: Select all

WEB_URL=localhost:2605/index.html
Now when you click on the menu entry for BitMeter OS it opens the default browser (Firefox) to the BitMeter OS screen.

Edit:
Not sure what would happen if Firefox was not on this computer.
This line in runweb.sh, not sure what it would do if I did not have Firefox.

BROWSER=$(which gnome-www-browser || which x-www-browser || which firefox || which www-browser)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Moat

#25 Post by Moat »

bigpup wrote:Mike Walsh,
+1

Appears to be working great with Firefox 37 on Precise 5.7.1. So simple. Neat! 8)

@ bigpup - Thanks, the menu entry fix works here as well!

Bob

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

@bigpup, moat (and linuxwannabe):-

I'm glad other folks find it useful! Be nice if I could take the credit for this, but I am in no sense of the word a programmer. All I did was dig it up, out of a lengthy (and as I recall, quite involved) Google Search. Rob Dawson, the guy responsible for BitMeterOS, has a few other rather nifty utilities on his site; it's well worth a look.

bigpup, I've never bothered with trying to start it from the menu. The way I've always done it, it gets installed along with printer utilities and that kinda thing when I do a new install. I then get my browser up & running, and because of the way most of them work these days, it's there on the bookmarks bar straightaway. Soon as I fire the browser up (whichever one I'm using that day), it's the first thing I open after signing in.

That's it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Walsh,

How about you posting a topic about it in the Additional Software section of the forum? :D :idea:

Network section, maybe. :idea:
Not a bad idea, actually. I don't know too many people who are lucky enough to have an unlimited data-plan; most of us tend to have a cap of some kind imposed on us by our ISPs. Yah; I'll have a re-organise of that post, and tidy it up a bit; my way of writing is NOT to everybody's taste, I know! Leave it with me.

Regards,

Mike. :)
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 06 May 2015, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#27 Post by mikeb »

Ah ha... so an answer for the lazy :D

Well had to make the folder /var/lib/bitmeter and rename /var/lib/bitmeter/bitmeter.db.new to bitmeter.db
Then ran bmcapture and bmws directly since i dont have the debian daemon crap ) a quick hack of the start scripts would fix that) and it works a treat... as you say its a tiny webserver taking very little..the browser interface does but you only need that when you want to check.

A quick test in something like lucid but i get the feeling it would work on older.

Also I guess the data is in bitmeter.db so if that was shared (a symlink for example) then logging would happen regardless of system.

Mike is impressed... :)

Mike

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeb wrote:Ah ha... so an answer for the lazy :D

Mike is impressed... :)

Mike
Morning, Michael.

I was, too, when I first found Rob Dawson's CodeBox site; there's quite a few nifty utilities on there. Worth a look.

Takes a LOT to impress you, doesn't it? :lol:

I tend to take the path of least resistance; don't know the first thing about programmimg, If there's an easy way of doing something.....I'LL find it. :roll:

This one's more useful than most.

Mike to Mike.

mikeb

#29 Post by mikeb »

Takes a LOT to impress you, doesn't it? Laughing
not really...its just I don't hide it when I am not impressed :D

Perhaps it's to do with where I hang out ;)

Well this bunny is a keeper.....

mike

ps unlimited bandwidth at the house but 3g on the boat....

Mike Walsh

#30 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Mike.

What d'you reckon to the idea of making a 'Network' section article about it? I reckon there'll be a few other people out there could be interested in this; and we ALL spend time in the browser, don't we?

I mean, that's where your bandwidth goes, after all...

(Need to get the "grand old man's seal of approval", don't I?) :lol:

Mike to Mike. :D

mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

Hmm well a puppy friendly pet perhaps..ie menu link etc and then additional software

I had to fiddle a couple of things for lucid so perhaps make it more generic.

By the way was testing with seamonkey 2.9..1 and it rendered just fine....a very comprehensive output.... there is a tab related to cross system usage.

mike

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeb wrote:... there is a tab related to cross system usage...
Indeed there is. If you have a dig around on the site, you should find it; bmsync. However, I've never been able to get this to work. All the app does is to squirrel the data away into a database, which you can then access from your web-interface. Goes without saying that you need to have it installed on each OS that you wish to monitor.

Can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work in SeaMonkey. It's closely-related to FF, isn't it? Same as Pale Moon.....they all use modded versions of the Gecko 'engine', don't they?

Anyway, I'm working on a draft of the Network article at the moment...

Mike to Mike.

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

I just mentioned the monkey as it does not seem to require this weeks software as some things do. Javascript doing something useful for a change :)

As for sharing the config, seems like moving it to a drive and symlinking from all that want it...also good for anthing that does not preserve /var or booting without saves.

Mike