TP-Link WN725N driver for "Chromepup"?

Mike Walsh

TP-Link WN725N driver for "Chromepup"?

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

Six months ago I started using Tahrpup 6.02 on my elderly Dell Inspiron 1100 lappie; strangely, the most modern Pup (at that time) was the only one that would run properly on such ancient hardware.....other 'Pups' having major problems with the Intel video card!

It connects via a TP-Link WN725-N nano wireless adapter. This device uses the RealTek RTL8188EUS chipset, and the required 'r8188eu' driver is present in the 3.14.20 Tahrpup kernel by default. It works extremely well.

Recently, I discovered obPrecise 14.07.26 (v.2), better known as 'ChromeBook Pup'. I spent months trying to to get ChromeOS to run on my Compaq desktop, and eventually gave it up as a bad job! This little gem of a Pup fits the bill nicely, and ticks all the right boxes.....thanks, ETP!

Just out of curiosity, I thought I'd try the LiveCD on my old Dell, to see whether it would work properly with a full display showing.....and it does! NOW, of course, I'd like to dual-boot this alongside 'Tahrpup'; but the snag is that there is no driver present for the TP-Link adapter.

Does anybody know if there is a driver anywhere that would allow the adapter to work in ChromeBook Pup? Or, failing that, could anybody give me some pointers as to how to compile the driver to work in obPrecise.....and then how to add it to the kernel?

Any advice will, as always, be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike. :)

cimarron

#2 Post by cimarron »

I successfully compiled the driver for that USB adapter in OB-Precise. You can find the kernel sources you need for compiling here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=832413#832413

But I'll try to find the driver I compiled (I remastered it into my OB-Precise, but I think I remember where the new drivers are). Gotta run now...

EDIT: Here's a link to a .pet with the 8188eu wireless driver. This is for TL-WN725N version 2 (you'll have to check the box the adapter came in), for kernel 3.9.11. Please back-up your savefile before installing.
Last edited by cimarron on Fri 01 May 2015, 03:12, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, cimarron.

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded, installed AND re-booted, but.....it's not recognising the adapter. Still showing just the 'eth0' interface.

I know I'm an awkward sod! It's a shame, 'cos I REALLY like 'Chromepup' (as I call it!); but if I'm stuck with using Ethernet, then it's a bit pointless. I keep all my files on my big ol' Compaq desktop indoors, and I like to take the Dell outside on nice days, and link to the Compaq via Samba-TNG. Works a treat, too.

Ah, well. Tahrpup does the job JUST as efficiently..!

Thanks for trying to help; it IS appreciated.

Regards,

Mike. :)

cimarron

#4 Post by cimarron »

Do you have TL-WN725N version 2, or version 1? Different drivers. If you know for sure which one you have, compiling the driver is not too difficult.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Run the command "depmod -a". Then unplug/replug the adapter.

cimarron

#6 Post by cimarron »

Thanks rcrsn51, I was just about to suggest that. I thought rebooting performs a depmod, but apparently not? I think I remember seeing it on the first boot of Puppy, but after that it has to be done manually if any modules are added?

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

cimarron, the correct practice when creating driver dotpets is to add a post-install script, which will run the depmod command when the dotpet is installed.
This takes the form of an executable script located at the top level of your dotpet's directory, called "pinstall.sh"

Also, when packaging your dotpet you made a small error with the location of your 8188eu.ko file. You put it in -
/lib/modules/3.9.11/kernel/net/wireless
That's where core 80211 drivers are located. Your driver should be in -
/lib/modules/3.9.11/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

It will still work, you have simply broken the convention used by kernel developers.

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

:D Firm Tempestuous, firm. :wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

cimarron

#9 Post by cimarron »

Thank you very much, tempestuous. I have only made a few dotpets before, and this is the first wireless driver I've built (I'll take a look at some other driver dotpets). Learning a lot today.

I created a new dotpet (see above) according to your directions, in case someone else finds this thread. I'd appreciate anyone taking a look to see if it's (more) correct now.

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

@rcrsn51:- Once again, many thanks for your advice; that's done the trick!

@cimarron:- Many thanks for the driver; it does indeed work. It IS a version 2, so it's definitely the RTL8188EUS chipset.

BTW, guys.....no need to 'fall out' over this..! :lol: It's a constant learning process for all of us...me included. I'll remember the 'depmod -a' command from now on; I'd better, 'cos as from last night, I've ditched my other Linux distros, and have now gone ALL Puppy. I think it's one of my better moves in recent years...

Time will, of course, tell.

Thanks, everybody!

Regards,

Mike. :D

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

cimarron wrote:I'd appreciate anyone taking a look to see if it's (more) correct now.
Checked just now. Looks fine. The "k3.9.11" in the name is good, too.

Mike Walsh wrote:I'll remember the 'depmod -a' command from now on
Mike, the outcome of the discussion I've been having with cimarron means that you won't need to remember the "depmod -a" command.
But if you really want to know what it is, and when it's needed, see here -
https://wiki.debian.org/depmod
http://linux.die.net/man/8/depmod

cimarron

#12 Post by cimarron »

Glad it worked for you, Mike.

And thank you again, tempestuous. This kind of helpful correction (by someone who really knows what they're talking about) is really valuable.