vividpup beta

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
666philb

#21 Post by 666philb »

peebee wrote:network_tray does not work in vividpup (or unicornpup).

A patch and fix is available from:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 479#837479

#666philb - can the amended source be uploaded to ibiblio please?

rerwin has also detected that the source contains deprecated gtk_ calls so a 2.9.2 version may appear once changes have been identified and tested.

Thanks
peebee
uploaded

thanks
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

James C

#22 Post by James C »

Still experimenting.....
Attachments
Vivid.jpg
(119.28 KiB) Downloaded 1430 times

666philb

#23 Post by 666philb »

finally got a new power supply and the motherboard is ok :)

will get the new vivid out as soon as i get some time
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#24 Post by 666philb »

new BIG iso uploaded.... see first post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98032

sonny

#25 Post by sonny »

Thanks, working well. Installed on sandisk thumb drive, made 4gb save file. Added chrome, devx, java, fluxbox so far, so good... :D
Attachments
capture8747.png
(182.11 KiB) Downloaded 508 times

James C

#26 Post by James C »

Quick manual frugal install,all appears to be working well so far.

Code: Select all

root# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: vividpup, version beta2

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
root# 

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Memory		: 4139MB (384MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: vividpup - beta2
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Mon 27 Apr 2015 04:03:37 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 3.19.5-vivid_PAE-32-pae (i686)
Version		: #1 SMP Mon Apr 27 11:12:29 GMT-8 2015
C Library		: GNU C Library version 2.19 (stable)
Distribution		: vividpup - beta2
-Current Session-
Computer Name		: puppypc7280
Home Directory		: /root
Desktop Environment		: Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)
-Misc-
Uptime		: 7 minutes
Load Average		: 0.31, 0.38, 0.22
Attachments
Vivid Beta.jpg
(45.11 KiB) Downloaded 911 times

stemsee

#27 Post by stemsee »

Very nice touches in this. Maybe my new base system to build on.

sszindian

Vivid

#28 Post by sszindian »

Thar is very nice but I believe you've 'out-done' yourself on Vivid!!! It's extremely nice and without doubt the most-responsive of any of the new Puppy's I've tested to date! 'Nice job phil'

Everything OOTB works as it should so far... installed extra programs working without any problems so far... It's a pleasure to test something like Vivid!

One question... what's the name of the default PDF reader? and where is it located?

Hope you take this one all the way!!!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

gcmartin

#29 Post by gcmartin »

Actually its not that big, but gives great utility services for 32bit PCs. Very nice WOOFCE distro on older Ubuntu base (V14+) with PUP controls and flavor. Works on all my boxes tested using Live DVD boot system operations. Here's one Celeron laptop running 2 PaleMoon windows with 17 tabs open to websites:

root# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       1535856      1343452       192404       679488       140732
-/+ buffers:            1202720       333136
Swap:      1590268            0      1590268
ImageThx

caiosama

#30 Post by caiosama »

What a fast community, i see a new Puppy Vivid coming soon....guys, you absolutely rocks! . Im gonna test this in my old Dell D630.

davids45

Another happy VB(eta) user

#31 Post by davids45 »

G'day 666philb,

Running a Frugal without problem.

Wine and Seamonkey as symlinks, games and extra file managers from sfs, pwidgets and taskbar-CPUtemps from pets all good.

Will do a Full soon.

David S.
Attachments
vividbetaFrugal.jpg
Desktop Frugal - ZooGrandkids
(170.04 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times

slavvo67

#32 Post by slavvo67 »

Well, I did a few adjustments:

MPlayer install through PPM - Check. All good.

HandBrakeCLI install through PPM - Check. All good.

Libre Writer amended to not auto-save. - Check. No more unexpected saves.

Libre Writer amended to not auto-update. - Check. No annoying pop-ups to update.

No noticeable flaws. Looks like Puppy's future continues to get brighter.

Thanks 666PhilB!

Slavvo67

666philb

Re: Vivid

#33 Post by 666philb »

sszindian wrote:
One question... what's the name of the default PDF reader? and where is it located?

Hope you take this one all the way!!!

>>>---Indian------>
hi sszindian,

vivid has evince pdf viewer .... it's located in /usr/bin and in menu>>document

davids45

Full Vivid Beta

#34 Post by davids45 »

G'day 666philb,

Installed Vivid Beta as a Full to sdb6 from my Frugal Vivid (on sda7) via the Universal Installer using the 'Directory' option (at /home/vividpup) to locate the install files for the UI to use.

First install attempt failed to wipe and copy files to sdb6 as sdb6 may have been already mounted - the UI did not report any problem and seemed to be doing the expected copying of files. I manually wiped sdb6 of its old files from a previous Pup and then from the Vivid Frugal, the Full install went as expected.

First booting of the Full Vivid produced a fail, an immediate screen of text lines suggesting some sort of internal panic, and a hung computer.
Being a slow learner/ fast optimist, I pressed the on/off button for ~5 seconds and chose Vivid again from the grub list and this time it booted and ran as well as my Frugal Vivid.

Next day (this morning), first boot of the Full Vivid and again the instant screen of text and a hung computer. And again, second boot attempt and Vivid is running without problem.

So it may be this desktop, or a bug in the UI when operated this way, or something to do with Vivid in the Full situation, or ...

Will persevere :) .

David S

Update: this afternoon, same Vivid hang at cold boot but I saw there was a brief red text message about "performing" something on sdb6 then text scrolled off-screen and the computer hung. Re-start and Vivid boots OK.

UpdatedUpdate: after using a few other Pups on this desktop, I went back to my Vivid Frugal (did not want to try the Full) and noticed the red text crashing the Full seems to be a file check of the partition at kernel-loading time.
My Frugal Vivid on sda7 began by checking the Full Vivid on sdb6?? No other Frugal Pup has gone looking for its Full equivalent this way or if one has, it has not reported finding anything to check..
This Full check by the booting Frugal was pretty quick - just a few dots - and then it did the menu-list-requested fsck check on the sda7 partition which took a l-o-n-g time compared to other Frugal Pups - sda7 has all my Frugals and I let Vivid have the entire partition for its Save file if needed.
Anyway, the Vivid Frugal is presently OK.
Last edited by davids45 on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#35 Post by James C »

Just a quick live test.Looks good on this box as well.

root# report-video

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750] (rev a2)

Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod fb glamoregl glx kbd mouse shadowfb

Resolution:  1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

root# 

-Computer-
Processor		: 8x AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
Memory		: 8192MB (384MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: vividpup - beta2
Date/Time		: Thu 30 Apr 2015 02:07:13 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 128 bits)
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 3.19.5-vivid_PAE-32-pae (i686)
Version		: #1 SMP Mon Apr 27 11:12:29 GMT-8 2015
C Library		: GNU C Library version 2.19 (stable)
Distribution		: vividpup - beta2
-Current Session-
Computer Name		: puppypc899
Home Directory		: /root
Desktop Environment		: Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)
-Misc-
Uptime		: 18 minutes
Load Average		: 0.40, 0.31, 0.24
Attachments
Vivid Beta.jpg
(94.16 KiB) Downloaded 938 times

Billtoo

vividpup beta

#36 Post by Billtoo »

Installed with the puppy installer to a 16gb usb 3.0 flash drive,running
on a macmini:

root# report-video

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1920x1080
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod glx kbd mouse present

Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

root#

No problems so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(73.41 KiB) Downloaded 879 times

Satori

#37 Post by Satori »

My usual method of running puppies is to use two partitions, the first contains the grub-boot and associated puppy files
while the second contains data and third party programs, which includes the savefile in a separate directory.

dpup wheezy's grub section is:

title dPup 3.5.2.11 ==> (sda3)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /puppy/dpup/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck pdevl=sda3 psubdir=puppy/dpup psubok=TRUE
initrd /puppy/dpup/initrd.gz

other puppies boot much the same way.

However Vivid fails to boot properly unless it's .SFS files are also within the same directory with the savefile.

title Vivid Beta ==> (sda3)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /Vivid/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck pdevl=sda3 psubdir=puppy/vivid psubok=TRUE
initrd /Vivid/initrd.gz

Note that each puppy directory also has a SAVEMARK that points to SDA3.

Otherwise, Vivid looks to be nice puppy.

Further testing shows that the following works, without needing vivid's .SFS files to be in the savefile directory:

title Vivid Beta ==> (sda3)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /puppy/vivid/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck pdevl=sda3 psubdir=puppy/vivid psubok=TRUE
initrd /puppy/vivid/initrd.gz

Note that the dir names for both vivid boot and savefile are the same.

666philb

Re: Full Vivid Beta

#38 Post by 666philb »

davids45 wrote:G'day 666philb,

Installed Vivid Beta as a Full to sdb6 from my Frugal Vivid (on sda7) via the Universal Installer using the 'Directory' option (at /home/vividpup) to locate the install files for the UI to use.

First install attempt failed to wipe and copy files to sdb6 as sdb6 may have been already mounted - the UI did not report any problem and seemed to be doing the expected copying of files. I manually wiped sdb6 of its old files from a previous Pup and then from the Vivid Frugal, the Full install went as expected.

First booting of the Full Vivid produced a fail, an immediate screen of text lines suggesting some sort of internal panic, and a hung computer.
Being a slow learner/ fast optimist, I pressed the on/off button for ~5 seconds and chose Vivid again from the grub list and this time it booted and ran as well as my Frugal Vivid.

Next day (this morning), first boot of the Full Vivid and again the instant screen of text and a hung computer. And again, second boot attempt and Vivid is running without problem.

So it may be this desktop, or a bug in the UI when operated this way, or something to do with Vivid in the Full situation, or ...

David S

Update: this afternoon, same Vivid hang at cold boot but I saw there was a brief red text message about "performing" something on sdb6 then text scrolled off-screen and the computer hung. Re-start and Vivid boots OK.

UpdatedUpdate: after using a few other Pups on this desktop, I went back to my Vivid Frugal (did not want to try the Full) and noticed the red text crashing the Full seems to be a file check of the partition at kernel-loading time.
My Frugal Vivid on sda7 began by checking the Full Vivid on sdb6?? No other Frugal Pup has gone looking for its Full equivalent this way or if one has, it has not reported finding anything to check..
This Full check by the booting Frugal was pretty quick - just a few dots - and then it did the menu-list-requested fsck check on the sda7 partition which took a l-o-n-g time compared to other Frugal Pups - sda7 has all my Frugals and I let Vivid have the entire partition for its Save file if needed.
i'm getting a fail with full install as well ..... maybe kernel related ... try one of tahrs & read the readme http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... r/kernels/

666philb

Re: Vivid

#39 Post by 666philb »

sszindian wrote:without doubt the most-responsive of any of the new Puppy's I've tested to date!

>>>---Indian------>
the main reason for this is that CPU frequency is set to 'performance' as default ..... usually it's set to 'on demand' in other pups.

menu>>system>>CPU frequency scaling tool ...set to 'performance' in other pups for extra speed :D

the new kernel will give a boost on some setups as well

James C

Re: Full Vivid Beta

#40 Post by James C »

666philb wrote:
davids45 wrote:G'day 666philb,

David S

i'm getting a fail with full install as well ..... maybe kernel related ... try one of tahrs & read the readme http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... r/kernels/
I was intending to confirm but my full install is working without any apparent problems.

From my running Vivid Beta 2 frugal install in sdb8 I used the installer (Vivid files in a directory) to do a full install in sdb 13. Booting from legacy Grub in sda3 using the default menu.lst entry.

Been tweaking and rebooting.more tweaking and rebooting...rebooted 7 or 8 times with no delays and no problems.

I did start with sdb 13 already formatted to ext4 and did not install grub4dos.

HTH.

EDIT:Doing a complete poweroff now to see if any difference.