CorelDraw Graphics Export (Fuzzy or Clearer)

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
GarySmith

CorelDraw Graphics Export (Fuzzy or Clearer)

#1 Post by GarySmith »

I'm able to go back to Windows and see my exports to JPG or BMP for Windows wallpaper are clearer.

When I export my final work to JPG and print on a color laser printer at one of the office supply stores they turn out fantastic and the below information tells me that's because I'm not editing the output JPG file. My file exports are not photographs and I'm studying this issue at present.

Exports for Linux wallpaper don't seem to have "artifacts" except when displaying and that may be a separate issue--perhaps a display driver? For any wanting to know about graphic exports this may be the post to keep up with.

Windowss BMP files are not addressed and those exported graphic files from CorelDRAW / Linux operating system are just fine.

[LEARNED NEXT DAY EXPORTING TO TIFF GRAPHIC FILE WITHOUT RESIZING WORKS BEST WITH LINUX WALLPAPER. STILL WORKING RESIZING TO SMALLER FILE WITHOUT AFFECTING GRAPHIC QUALITY FOR LINUX WALLPAPER.]

My Linux display of graphic makes me feel at home. I don't even think of Windows unless having returnng for an old application. I would like to see if my efforts might clear up my graphic export for Linux wallpaper though. All other Linux wallpapers seen on the Internet are distinctly clearer and look better than my exports.

Have to leave this AM but will return and continue. Gary

_________

What’s the difference between GIF, PNG, JPEG, and TIFF?
Posted on July 1, 2013 by Nate Holmes | 4 Replies
https://www.smartimage.com/whats-the-di ... ent-497094

Your customers see thousands of images every day — make sure yours stand out. From your company website, to your Facebook profile, to your banner ads, visuals are key to attracting and keeping customers. But keep in mind, not all image formats are created equal. Some are meant for charts and diagrams, while others are intended for eye-catching photographs. Check out the most common file types, and find the best fit for you.

FileTypeChart

GIF - Use GIF for simple web graphics with limited colors. GIF files are the smallest of the four because they are always reduced to 256 colors, making for fast-loading visuals. That said, GIF isn’t recommended for files with a large range of colors, like photographs or other detailed imagery. But if you are working with small graphics like banners, charts and buttons, GIF is the best format for the job.

PNG - Choose PNG when you need a small file that maintains its original quality. PNG files support millions of colors, plus varying degrees of transparency — so they are perfect for graphic image files, like logos and infographics. However, PNG isn’t compatible with all software or applications. If your goal is to find a file format for widespread use, PNG might complicate the process. But if you need a format that supports millions of colors for your logos and small images, PNG is for you.

JPEG - JPEG is the go-to format for online photos. It supports a full spectrum of colors, and almost all devices and programs can open and save to the JPEG format — making it the most universal of the four. JPEG files are ideal when you want to keep file size down and don’t mind giving up a little quality to create a very small file. That said, JPEG quality drops when images are edited and saved. If you plan to continually edit your files, JPEG is not the format for the job. But if you need to display photos online, JPEG is just right.

TIFF - TIFF is best for any bitmap images that you intend to edit. TIFF doesn’t compress to make for smaller files, because they are meant to preserve quality. TIFF files offer options to use tags, layers, and transparency, and are compatible with photo manipulation programs like Photoshop. If you are looking for a small file or a web-friendly format, TIFF isn’t recommended. But if you plan to edit digital images in a working storage format, consider TIFF your go-to.

GIF, PNG, JPEG, and TIFF files are designed for different graphic needs. Chances are, you won’t settle on just one but will use a combination of all of these formats, depending on the task at hand. We know you don’t want the added stress of converting your image files at a moment’s notice. So try an image management tool that converts them for you. This is just one of the many benefits of using Smartimage for your image management needs.
Last edited by GarySmith on Sun 26 Apr 2015, 14:51, edited 5 times in total.

GarySmith

IMAGE TYPES: JPEG & TIFF FILES

#2 Post by GarySmith »

IMAGE TYPES: JPEG & TIFF FILES
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... etypes.htm

Knowing which image type to use ensures you can make the most of your digital photographs. Some image types are best for getting an optimal balance of quality and file size when storing your photos, while other image types enable you to more easily recover from a bad photograph. Countless image formats exist and new ones are always being added; in this section we will focus on options related to the two of the three formats most relevant to digital photography: JPEG and TIFF. The RAW file format is covered in a separate tutorial.

INTRO: IMAGE COMPRESSION

An important concept which distinguishes many image types is whether they are compressed. Compressed files are significantly smaller than their uncompressed counterparts, and fall into two general categories: "lossy" and "lossless." Lossless compression ensures that all image information is preserved, even if the file size is a bit larger as a result. Lossy compression, by contrast, can create file sizes that are significantly smaller, but achieves this by selectively discarding image data. The resulting compressed file is therefore no longer identical to the original. Visible differences between these compressed files and their original are termed "compression artifacts."

JPEG FILE FORMAT

JPEG stands for "Joint Photographic Expert Group" and, as its name suggests, was specifically developed for storing photographic images. It has also become a standard format for storing images in digital cameras and displaying photographic images on internet web pages. JPEG files are significantly smaller than those saved as TIFF, however this comes at a cost since JPEG employs lossy compression. A great thing about JPEG files is their flexibility. The JPEG file fomat is really a toolkit of options whose settings can be altered to fit the needs of each image.

JPEG files achieve a smaller file size by compressing the image in a way that retains detail which matters most, while discarding details deemed to be less visually impactful. JPEG does this by taking advantage of the fact that the human eye notices slight differences in brightness more than slight differences in color. The amount of compression achieved is therefore highly dependent on the image content; images with high noise levels or lots of detail will not be as easily compressed, whereas images with smooth skies and little texture will compress very well.

Image with Fine Detail
(Less Effective JPEG Compression)

Image without Fine Detail
(More Effective JPEG Compression)

It is also helpful to get a visual intuition for how varying degrees of compression impact the quality of your image. At 100%, you will barely notice any difference between the compressed and uncompressed image below, if at all. Notice how the JPEG algorithm prioritizes prominent high-contrast edges at the expense of more subtle textures. As the compression quality decreases, the JPEG algorithm is forced to sacrifice the quality of more and more visually prominant textures in order to continue decreasing the file size.

Choose Compression Quality:
100%
80%
60%
30%
10%

200%

Zoom

Original Image
Compressed Image

TIFF FILE FORMAT

TIFF stands for "Tagged Image File Format" and is a standard in the printing and publishing industry. TIFF files are significantly larger than their JPEG counterparts, and can be either uncompressed or compressed using lossless compression. Unlike JPEG, TIFF files can have a bit depth of either 16-bits per channel or 8-bits per channel, and multiple layered images can be stored in a single TIFF file.
TIFF files are an excellent option for archiving intermediate files which you may edit later, since it introduces no compression artifacts. Many cameras have an option to create images as TIFF files, but these can consume excessive space compared to the same JPEG file. If your camera supports the RAW file format this is a superior alternative, since these are significantly smaller and can retain even more information about your image.

USEFUL TIPS

Only save an image using a lossy compression once all other image editing has been completed, since many image manipulations can amplify compression artifacts.

Avoid compressing a file multiple times, since compression artifacts may accumulate and progressively degrade the image. For such cases, the JPEG algorithm will also produce larger and larger files at the same compression level.

Ensure that image noise levels are as low as possible, since this will produce dramatically smaller JPEG files.

GarySmith

Wallpaper Solved (TIFF File)

#3 Post by GarySmith »

Exported image to a 41Mb TIFF file and used perfectly.

This size file would never occur to me as working at all but the results are in and image is perfect. Have a hard time believing a huge file is the answer but does what's expected.

A BMP in Windows does the same thing at about the 1 or 1.4Mb file size however any file type in this reduced size gives unwanted artifacts or anomalies (specs) for display as Linux wallpaper.

Gary
_____

GarySmith

41Mb TIFF File

#4 Post by GarySmith »

Failed to indicate what file format exported. Corrected prior post and showing that here below:

Exported image to a 41Mb [TIFF] file and used perfectly.

Gary
_______

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

Might I ask what version of CorelDRAW you are using and how?

I have X3. It will grudgingly install in WINE but it doesn't work right -- important parts of the UI do not function properly.

GarySmith

How to CorelDRAW with Linux

#6 Post by GarySmith »

starhawk wrote:Might I ask what version of CorelDRAW you are using and how? I have X3. It will grudgingly install in WINE but it doesn't work right -- important parts of the UI do not function properly.
I've installed CorelDRAW8 and some pull-down menu features do have to be repeated twice, otherwise CorelDRAW is MORE stable for use than in WindowsXP. With Puppy Linux I get absolutely no shutdowns or operation errors. In Window98 and XP the program has to be restarted up to a certain point of operation or shuts down without saving the last hour's work.

Instead of using the "Copy" command I'll use "Duplicate" with no offset when it makes the instant copy and paste. When I use Copy command by mistake most of my last CorelDRAW work has been saved with few exceptions and File open last document shows which document I was working. Also, when needing a piece of a different file one has to use File, Import command, Ungroup and position the new part or piece of the graphic project.

Using key commands helps when seldom a pull-down menu does not activate as in Arrange, Transform, Scale and Mirror. This sure beats having CorelDRAW and Paint shutdown at a certain point of work! ! ! I'm satisfied and can get some work accomplished.

I'm getting the same performance of CorelDRAW using other Linux flavors such from what I remember--KNOPPIX. These Linux versions must all be based on the same core is my speculation. But, not all CorelDRAW versions are as consistent with at least backward compatibility. Just my opinion.

To manipulate graphics, you know how users have to adapt to differing softwares and techniques to get results sometimes. Using Windows and some fonts one has to use Convert to Curves (turn into a graphic) before the export works properly. Some CorelDRAW exports from Linux take working around I've noticed but on the higher level and amount of work per page.

Really glad to meet you here and write anytime you feel like doing so as I'm happy to know another graphics software user. Yeah, I don't get out much--too funny.

Gary
_______
Last edited by GarySmith on Sun 26 Apr 2015, 12:32, edited 3 times in total.

GarySmith

#7 Post by GarySmith »

I did run into another issue with one file for a text rebuild coming over from a Windows-CorelDRAW work. Not been using my Linux load for very long and will update with increased CorelDRAW usage.

(Update: went back to Windows CorelDRAW8 and encountered the same text issue with the CorelDRAW file.)

Gary
______

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

Corel 8?? :shock:

I remember CorelDRAW 9. Good lord, thinking back to that now, feels like the dark ages. I started with Corel 6 on my father's computer... that's the 'sticks in the dirt' edition, I think ;) (as in, drawing with...)

Trust me, the newer ones are sooooooo much better. Trouble is you can't Linux-ify them. The installer sort of runs (it bombs out partway through) for Corel X3 in WINE, and anything newer the installer won't even run, you'd have to reverse engineer the dang thing (which of course busts the license agreement wide open) and do it all manually. Ugh.

I actually have one of these that I stuffed an IDE SSD into (and upgraded the cooling on), with XP and Corel installed -- along with not a whole lot else! (Seven programs, total.) No 'Net access on that machine, which I'm fine with -- it also means I don't need an antivirus. Boots in ~30sec, runs like a dream. Not bad for 512mb RAM and an AMD Geode CPU (that CPU is based on the Athlon XP -- it's basically a 1GHz P3 with a limp).

GarySmith

#9 Post by GarySmith »

Starhawk,

You seem to have alot going on there with the hardware and software changes.

Gary
_____