Fluxbox Windowmanager

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
aragon

#41 Post by aragon »

Uploaded bugfix-release that solves the crashes on icon-menu to the first post.

@eyes-only: if you got no crashes, you don't need to install.

aragon

Eyes-Only

#42 Post by Eyes-Only »

I've been away for quite some time and so unable to follow up on this thread unfortunately. :cry: Thanks for the heads up Aragon! While ATM I'm literally drowning in emails and catch-up items I'll download the updates on page numero uno and get those installed ASAP barring any impending disaster I may cause on my end here. LOL!!

Again Aragon, thanks muchly for all your hard work and dedication ( and to all you others reading as well! ) when it comes to the Puppy Community.

Cheers/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

EDIT #1: LOL! Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could READ? I see now what I missed in your last post Aragon - that I DON'T have to install if having no problems, etc.

Still, however, I think I'll d/load the updates just so as to have them on my backup DVD. Good idea me thinks! ;)
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

dejan555

#43 Post by dejan555 »

Well I compiled current git version and couldn't crash it so far so I guess they solved the bug. If anyone wants pet for 215 CE let me know (running this version on my laptop :P )
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Masf

#44 Post by Masf »

Help me please

The installation was successful, but when i restart puppy I see the original menu bar.

Can be fixing going to promnt and written "XWin startfluxbox", but I like not having to do it every time.

there is an image:
http://img59.imageshack.us/i/image1nn.png/

Also, the option to change window manager in the menu (desktop/desktop settings/WM switcher switch between windowmanagers) don`t do anything.

aragon

#45 Post by aragon »

hi masf, the problem is, that you have fluxbox and an independant panel running at the same time. the panel in your pic might be fbpanel.

to work around this problem please do the following:

1. copy /root/.xinitrc to /root/.xinitrcSAVE
2. open /root/.xinitrc in an editor
3. Look for a part that looks like the following (in my version line 138 ff)

Code: Select all

#v3.95 support fbpanel tray/taskbar...
#only launch tray for w.m. without inbuilt tray...
if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "jwm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm" ];then
 [ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && fbpanel &
 [ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
fi
4, change line

if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "jwm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm" ];then
to

if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "jwm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "startfluxbox" ];then
5. Save the file
6. Exit to prompt
7. xwin startfluxbox

the second panel should be gone.

if not, please post again.

aragon

Masf

#46 Post by Masf »

Hi, i open .xinitrc and see this:

#v3.95 support fbpanel tray/taskbar...
#only launch tray for w.m. without inbuilt tray...
if [[ "$CURRENTWM" != "jwm" && "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm" && "$CURRENTWM" != "startxfce4" && "$CURRENTWM" != "startfluxbox" ]];then
 if [ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ];then
  #a bit of a hack: when 3builddistro runs fixmenus, which calls variconlinks,
  #which populates /var/local/icons with symlinks, /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
  #is not yet populated (happens at first boot, from default icon theme)...
  [ ! -e /var/local/icons/home48.png ] && ln -fs /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/* /var/local/icons/
  fbpanel &
 fi
 [ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
fi
I find "$CURRENTWM" != "startfluxbox" in the .xinitrc file, so i dont do anything,

I must change the && to -a ?

Also, i change the placement of the fluxbox panel to "top center" and now i see the two panels.

Edited

In another line of .xinitrc i can see:

CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
and the file windowmanager only have

fluxbox
Edited (again :roll: )

I change "startfluxbox" (in .xinitrc) for "fluxbox" and it works. Thanks

PD. Im using lucid-puppy 5.25

redandwhitestripes

#47 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Hi guys,
I've loved FB ever since the old Fluxpup fork was released a while back.

Back then, each window had a tab and you could group them together by middle clicking (i.e. mousewheel) and dragging.

With this release I can't get that to work and I've looked through the online documentation and played with the settings.

Anyone know how to get those tabs back?

Also, sometimes when I bring up the bottom-left corner menu, I want to close it by simply clicking outside it, but I can't. Instead I have to hit the 'esc' key which is a slight pain. Can anyone help with this, too?

Many, many thanks in advance.

aragon

#48 Post by aragon »

uploaded actual version to first post.

aragon

starhawk

#49 Post by starhawk »

Does not work in Wary511-Uniproc... on my thinkpad, it starts to load and dies almost immediately. No idea how to diagnose the issue, either, TBH.

aragon

#50 Post by aragon »

Hi starhawk,

Sorry can't help 4.31 is the newest puppy i'm running...

Aragon

Eyes-Only

#51 Post by Eyes-Only »

Starhawk? Have you tried opening a terminal window in "/usr/bin" and then typing "ldd fluxbox" ( without " " of course ) to get a dependency list to see whether or not you have any missing/unmet dependency issues?

I've run Aragon's package here on everything ranging from... hmm... Tux's ClassicPup-214-Top5, to KDPup-484, to all versions of Lucid-Pup, and from Racy to Slacko-5.3 - all without a single hiccup nor problem. Unfortunately I haven't been able to run it on any version of Wary to date as it simply refuses to run on my machine. Odd too! The one and only Puppy version/make to NOT run on my desktop. lol!!

Anyway, I hope that perhaps running a dependency check on your installed Fluxbox might help Starhawk. I know that for me this has occasionally picked up a dependency that the PPM has missed during install check.

Best of luck my friend!/Bonne chance mon ami!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

starhawk

#52 Post by starhawk »

Bonjour, Eyes-Only! Thank you for your suggestion, I have run the command you requested, and a screenshot of the results is attached to this post.

Kindly explain to me what all this gobbledegook means...

starhawk

#53 Post by starhawk »

Figured it out.

There is a necessary lib, attached to the first post of this thread, which Wary lacks. Guess the other Pups all have it. You *DON'T* need the -DEV version of the lib, just the one that's IIRC right below the screenshot of the whole thing.

Eyes-Only

#54 Post by Eyes-Only »

My sincere apologies for not having made it back in time to have helped you Starhawk - I don't make it to the forum as often as I would like. :(

I'm glad, however, that you were able to figure out the answer to your problem! :D Yes, that "ldd" command is really great and I frequently use it myself whenever something doesn't work - and it very often solves my problem as you yourself discovered as often it is only a missing lib which is needed for any programme to run properly.

In fact, this used to be the reason why I kept an updated install of a related Debian on a small partition of my drive - not that I was ever interested in using it as Puppy does it all for me! - but solely for finding missing libs that I wasn't able to find elsewhere. Well... that was MY work-a-round anyway. There are many, many, other ways of doing this as well, such as searching the Ubuntu/Debian web interface repositories for the files, searching in the PPM within Puppy ( this latter working the least-well for me though ), etc.

I hope all of this has helped in some small way for future installs of software, and I also hope that you're greatly enjoying Aragon's .pet of Fluxbox. It's a real beauty, isn't it? :D

By the way: If you'd like to find even MORE themes for your Fluxbox besides those excellent ones here on the forum you may want to give http://www.box-look.org/ a try. I've found perhaps 50 more there! :shock:

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

bones01

#55 Post by bones01 »

Just thought I'd add this for anyone else trying to work this out.

I opened up /root/.wbarstuff/shutoff (open as text) and saw the code suggested 'wmshutdown'.

Looking at /root/.fluxbox/menu and scrolling down to the bottom, I saw that this used the term 'shutdownflux'

So I simply deleted 'wmshutdown' to 'shutdownflux' in the .wbarstuff file, and now the shutdown button on wbar (from wbar Configuration Centre -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1546975310) works fine.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Fossil

#56 Post by Fossil »

Does anyone know where I can find a fluxbox-1.3.2.pet for Puppy 4.3.1? When clicking the download link on page 1 it returns, "An Error Occurred". Thanks.

dejan555

#57 Post by dejan555 »

puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Fossil

#58 Post by Fossil »

@dejan555 Thank you - much appreciated.

Griot

#59 Post by Griot »

Zdravo, Dejane & ostali! ;)
Postoji li .pet za Precise 5.72? Hvala!

English: Hi, Dejan & all!
Is there a .pet for Precise 5.72? Thanx!

dejan555

#60 Post by dejan555 »

Hi Griot :)
Not sure if there's pet specifically compiled for that precise version but you can try if this one works:
fluxbox-1.3.5-i686-dpup486.pet

Otherwise, search for .deb in package manager or here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/i386 ... x/download