Legacy OS a year since there's been a release

News, happenings
john biles

Legacy OS a year since there's been a release

#1 Post by john biles »

Well its been a year since the last release of Legacy OS with version 2.1 LTS. In the time since I experimented with an update to Legacy OS 4 Mini which showed me its limitations resulting in putting that on hold. Because of these limitations it was time to spend time with different versions of Ubuntu, Fedora running Xfce, Mate and so on. A good test bed was my 2007 EeePC 900A to see how Puppy stacks up again Ubuntu, Fedora and others with their current releases.
About 8 months ago I started working on Legacy OS 5 based on Puppy 5.7.1 which has resulted in good and bad experiences which also highlights how much work I would need to bring it up to the standard I expect for a Legacy OS release.
One problem I have is Ubuntu 14.04 based derivatives like Xubuntu, Mate, Peppermint and others run acceptably on my old EeePC better than previous releases did. Running Puppy/Legacy OS 5 test version on my EeePC does show a slight speed improvement which falls down once you start any web browser. With Web Pages filled with crap filling up Ram all including Ubuntu etc soon fall down. Arrh!
Web Page designers appear to be designed their sites for computers with 4GB's of Ram or more. Days of 500MB's or 1GB being enough to have multiple pages open at any one time seem to be numbered.
Because of this and the need to do other things life requires there isn't a compelling reason to take all my spare time and develop version 5.
I can install Ubuntu-Mate add MUpdf and all the other Apps I use in 2 hours on my EeePC and use it. When I open the file manager I get previews of my PDF's and with MUpdf I can scroll pages pretty fast. Yes I've got Legacy OS 5 test version to do the same. The point here isn't that I demand a preview of PDF's but that I demand all files types come preconfigured and you should too. If I install FBreader in Ubuntu the option to use it in the file manager is there. If I do the same thing in Puppy I need to configure it ROX. The list goes on.
Where Legacy OS will go from here only time will tell. I'm typing this on Legacy OS 2.1 LTS and it is still my favourite Legacy Version. Yes Skype 1.3 no longer wants to connect and it will never have WPA2 WiFi or greentooth oh I mean Bluetooth. To say it has no WiFi support isn't 100% true as I'm using a D-Link DWL G650 wireless adapter with a unencrypted connection to send this post.
What it does have is a great selection of Applications usable on a old PC with no or very little need to connect to the Internet.
To date Legacy OS 2.1 LTS has had 36,261 downloads at SourceForge and Legacy OS 2.1 Gamer 23,403.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

john biles :

Big John.

Top marks for all your past efforts.

Even BK couldn't help himself and came back.

My personal favourite is still Lucid...
with rerwin's great updates.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6 -- and now 5.2.8.7!

""""""""
Iguleder

Mr Iggy has thrown his hat in the ring here..bottom of post.
Could be interesting.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=720

"""""""

My view of Puppy is this.

Boots off cd..usb.etc.
Can write back save files to both.

No hassle wireless and internet.
No diplomas to run it.

Anyway...good luck mate.

Cheers....Chris.

darry1966

Re: Legacy OS a year since there's been a release

#3 Post by darry1966 »

john biles wrote:Well its been a year since the last release of Legacy OS with version 2.1 LTS. In the time since I experimented with an update to Legacy OS 4 Mini which showed me its limitations resulting in putting that on hold. Because of these limitations it was time to spend time with different versions of Ubuntu, Fedora running Xfce, Mate and so on. A good test bed was my 2007 EeePC 900A to see how Puppy stacks up again Ubuntu, Fedora and others with their current releases.
About 8 months ago I started working on Legacy OS 5 based on Puppy 5.7.1 which has resulted in good and bad experiences which also highlights how much work I would need to bring it up to the standard I expect for a Legacy OS release.
One problem I have is Ubuntu 14.04 based derivatives like Xubuntu, Mate, Peppermint and others run acceptably on my old EeePC better than previous releases did. Running Puppy/Legacy OS 5 test version on my EeePC does show a slight speed improvement which falls down once you start any web browser. With Web Pages filled with crap filling up Ram all including Ubuntu etc soon fall down. Arrh!
Web Page designers appear to be designed their sites for computers with 4GB's of Ram or more. Days of 500MB's or 1GB being enough to have multiple pages open at any one time seem to be numbered.
Because of this and the need to do other things life requires there isn't a compelling reason to take all my spare time and develop version 5.
I can install Ubuntu-Mate add MUpdf and all the other Apps I use in 2 hours on my EeePC and use it. When I open the file manager I get previews of my PDF's and with MUpdf I can scroll pages pretty fast. Yes I've got Legacy OS 5 test version to do the same. The point here isn't that I demand a preview of PDF's but that I demand all files types come preconfigured and you should too. If I install FBreader in Ubuntu the option to use it in the file manager is there. If I do the same thing in Puppy I need to configure it ROX. The list goes on.
Where Legacy OS will go from here only time will tell. I'm typing this on Legacy OS 2.1 LTS and it is still my favourite Legacy Version. Yes Skype 1.3 no longer wants to connect and it will never have WPA2 WiFi or greentooth oh I mean Bluetooth. To say it has no WiFi support isn't 100% true as I'm using a D-Link DWL G650 wireless adapter with a unencrypted connection to send this post.
What it does have is a great selection of Applications usable on a old PC with no or very little need to connect to the Internet.
To date Legacy OS 2.1 LTS has had 36,261 downloads at SourceForge and Legacy OS 2.1 Gamer 23,403.
Why Ubuntu based?? when there is streamlined distros like LinuxBBQ with a variety of kernels -stripped back minimalism ideal for old and new and Vsido - have a look at the thread on distros that run on older hardware.

john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Hello darry1966,
Why Ubuntu based??
In my post all I was saying is Ubuntu 14.04 based distro's run only slighty slower on my EeePC over Puppy 5.7 that the time and effort required to create Legacy OS 5 might not be worth it with the point of view that someone installs Legacy OS 5 has a play and then goes back to Xubuntu, Ubuntu-Mate etc because it's only slightly slower and has better support with updates and apps.
I try many Distro's that aren't deb based and was only using Ubuntu as an example.

nitehawk

#5 Post by nitehawk »

Hmmm,..
what a coincidence. I had just fired up my old PIII (which is running Legacy OS LTS),...and happened to see this thread. Legacy OS LTS just has so many apps crammed in, and works so well on old machines. Highly useful. What about Slackware based? I know Slackware can run on some pretty old stuff.

Colonel Panic

#6 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Hmmm,..
what a coincidence. I had just fired up my old PIII (which is running Legacy OS LTS),...and happened to see this thread. Legacy OS LTS just has so many apps crammed in, and works so well on old machines. Highly useful. What about Slackware based? I know Slackware can run on some pretty old stuff.
Yes, or Arch; I had ArchBang working excellently on my old Pentium III until I borked it by trying to update everything (an occupational hazard with Arch). And ConnochaetOS (or something like that) was based on Arch and designed for old computers.

It's a real shame if Skype won't work on Legacy now (though I don't know because I haven't tried it).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

8Geee

#7 Post by 8Geee »

So I see you're running an eeepc. Care to share what model? I pruned slacko5.7-nonpae with us_EN FreeOffice to 175Mb (for 700, 900, and 100x models) which is stiill a bit plump for your intentions. I'm running a 900a, and its OK but S-L-O-W on startup usually 80-90 sec.s from power button to desktop with frugal USB install ext3 and 3fs save. But YouTube runs with html5, and FF is #27 that I trimmed, and put things like AdBlock Edge, Better Privacy, and Redirect Cleaner in. About_config is your friend. If you have some time to kill try this one I offered up.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

s243a

#8 Post by s243a »

What web browser did you try? Wikipedia gives a list of lightweight web browsers;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... b_browsers

I think I've tried DILLO before. One might have to except that for an old enough system that you can't use a fully modern web browser. surf and xombrero look to be the most function from the wikipedia list.

john biles

#9 Post by john biles »

Hello 8Geee,
A good test bed was my 2007 EeePC 900A to see how Puppy stacks up again Ubuntu, Fedora and others with their current releases.
John

Pelo

kernel 3.0.25 for two years,

#10 Post by Pelo »

At home, my legacy OS has been running with kernel 3.0.25 for two years, wireless connected on Medion P7624 . KDE 3.5.7 still does the job. No need of plasma desktop which would slow My CPU. However my RAM counter shows 1.6 GB . that is a lot.

john biles

#11 Post by john biles »

Hello Pelo,
I'm assuming you're talking about Legacy OS 4 Mini in relation to Kernel version 3.0.25
Would you like to share what you did to update to that version.
Thanks
John

Pelo

Legacy OS 4 mini kernel 3.0.25 KDE 3.5.7

#12 Post by Pelo »

It's mainly what people do now with ZDRIVe : modules and firmware from /lib plus modules from /etc from Racy 5.3 had been transfered and replaced legacy OS ones.
For a nice ouvrage, distrospecs should be changed in initrd.gz, but not necessarily.

See 'how to switch the Kernels' on the forum
I process step by step as requested.
Là se trouve l'article 'how to switch the kernels between Puppies'

Pelo

Nice video about teenpup 2010

#13 Post by Pelo »

IvanSampaBrasil made a so nice video about teenpup here on You Tube.

Pelo

This topic is a doublon ?

#14 Post by Pelo »

This topic is a doublon with this one, see there.