malvertising

For discussions about security.
labbe5

malvertising

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://threatpost.com/ad-networks-ripe ... ing/111840

Malvertising is the new tool to make money these days in the inner circles of organised crme. It is the easiest way to make money, more so than ransomware.

The good news is that by blocking ads, you are preventing yourself from becoming a victim of malvertising.

ublock addon is the tool to have, and updating it on a weekly basis for best protection is the way to go.

If you would like to add to the mix Secret Agent addon, this is better, since malvertising is using all fonctions that Secret Agent is purposefully blocking.

Better yet, NoScript Security Suite addon will help you stay secure on the Web, since javascript is largely in use in malvertising.

For destroying cookies, which are part of the problem in malvertising, you can use Self-Destructing Cookies addon.

And lastly, you can come up with another tool to prevent you from falling victim to malvertising, it's called Ghostery.

A few security addons will save you time and frustration. If nothing else, you will not fall prey to the organised crime, ever more sophisticated, ransomware being one the best tool, with malvertising, to earn money illegally.

It's a very bad time for web advertising, since even the most trusted websites can be compromised by malvertising.

Above is a link explaining the inner workings of the new threat.

Scooby

#2 Post by Scooby »

is there a way to install .xpi addons automatically
everytime computer was rebooted?

I'm running without savefile

Does any of your addons pass the test at panopticlick?

I find it hard to use NoScript since it breaks
a lot of sites

Also I would like to ask how to completely disable firefox
from phoning home

labbe5

xpi files and Cleo addon to combine them in one xpi file

#3 Post by labbe5 »

A savefile is what i use, but i configured each session to be saved or not, saving only when installing something new, this way it is almost like running Puppy in LiveCD mode.

As for xpi files, you can combine them in a package with Cleo addon, resulting in one xpi file, which you can mount each time you use Firefox. It is a one-time operation; otherwise you have to mount each and every xpi file, which is time consuming.

I think it is the best way to use addons without a savefile.