firefox last stable version

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
kost@s

firefox last stable version

#1 Post by kost@s »

I created this package to show, how will you have the latest version firefox browser

simple steps.
1.Download the firefox.pet (it is version 37.0.1_en)
2.Going the official site mozilla firefox and download last version or select other languages you want
3.firefox-37.tar.bz2 Open with "xarchive" -> select all -> extract -> /usr/lib/
4.done!
Last edited by kost@s on Tue 21 Apr 2015, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Barkin

#2 Post by Barkin »

ESR version of FireFox is worth considering if stability is the priority ...
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Moat

#3 Post by Moat »

Barkin wrote:ESR version of FireFox is worth considering if stability is the priority ...
Hmm... maybe so, maybe not. I know that - for my particular Pup (Precise 5.7.1) and hardware (10 yr. old 2 core HP DV5000 laptop), Firefox ESR 31.6 as well as 34.x, 35.x and 36.x have all been disappointingly buggy and slow compared to virtually any pre-Australis version. The ESR, especially, I found to be basically unuseable. Just terrible! :(

That being said, I've been extensively using/testing the latest Firefox 37.0.1 (released within the last two weeks or so) on both Puppy and a hard drive Mint 17.1 install - and it's has been an absolutely huge, marked improvement over those mentioned above. I'm finding it to be faster opening, smoother scrolling and more responsive overall than even the Pale Moons that are installed alongside. I'm convinced, and now back on Firefox.

My guess is the Mozilla devs are (finally!) beginning to catch up on all of the bugs introduced along with all of the new features added since the Australis/v29 shift. Here's to hoping, anyways. But so far, I'm finding 37.0.1 is very noticeably superior in every way, to earlier Australis versions.

IMHO, YMMV of course...

I don't even install it - just download the .tar.bz2 from Mozilla, extract it to any folder (my-applications seems just fine) and click on the 'firefox' executable inside (or drag it's symlink to the desktop).

Bob

unicorn316386

#4 Post by unicorn316386 »

@Bob: I did not notice major performance improvement from FF36 to FF37 (or FF35 to FF37, etc.) but found earlier versions (pre-Australis too) to be less optimized sometimes, and my laptop is 10 years old too. Haven't tried 31ESR so maybe it is the worst as you say :lol: Only time older versions worked better for me was when I had a machine with only 512MB RAM in Puppy (Firefox 3.6 crashed less than Firefox 17esr). I don't use Flash or AdBlock or any big plug-ins though. Some of my speed differences (smoothness) seems to be chance or placebo or underlying OS changes. This forum usually makes browser feel fast compared to Web 2.0 3.0 4.0 "overly complicated for no reason 2015 junk sites" too regardless of browser version. :D

Moat

#5 Post by Moat »

unicorn316386 wrote:@Bob: That's strange. ... Some of the speed seems to be chance or placebo, I think. :)
I know, it is strange - I was not at all expecting an improvement when my Mint Update utility bumped FF from 36.x to 37.0.1 (and I was happily using the latest Pale Moon, anyway)... thought "what the heck, I'll give it a try and see what happens..." and am knocked back by the performance difference/improvement (not placebo! :) ). Probably a hardware/code (in)compatibility tweak thing here, but it's really night and day on this machine.

Was so taken, I did the download/extract/run thing on my Precise 5.7.1 Retro USB/frugal install (same machine), and same thing - world of improvement.

That too said - I did install FF 37 on an Atom single-core powered Acer Aspire One netbook (Win7 Starter) a few days ago, and it indeed did not seem to be quite as responsive as (the Atom-optimized version) Pale Moon on that machine... will have to test/compare a bit more to form an opinion there, though. Comparing browsers on that machine is like comparing varying degrees of "pain"... :lol:

p.s. - It needs to be the very latest version 37.0.1, as there was an update (bugfix?) released just a few days after the initial 37 release.

Bob

Insomniacno1

Hmmm

#6 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Just to add something to this discussion, if you are on Wary 5.5(Full install) you do NOT want to put the files in /usr/lib it will break your puppy - And do NOT try to open Firefox from the menu - it will freeze puppy, so only reset button can help you!

Instead copy your extracted firefox folder to /opt

Then follow the instructions from vicmz in post number 8
"For Wary/Racy 5.5 you have to install libvpx, sqlite, dbus, dbus-glib, then reboot for Firefox to work."

and post number 13
"1) Move the Firefox folder to /opt " and the rest.

Here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82868

Now, that said - I would like to know how to update my addons - Can someone help with that? Normal way does not work, I just get the message "this addon is not compatible with your version".

JBJ

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Is this the normal way? Try the one below my selection..
Attachments
ao_update.jpg
(14.38 KiB) Downloaded 3655 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Insomniacno1

#8 Post by Insomniacno1 »

No, you go to tools>addons ten choose either addons or plugins and the one you want update.

But, for some strange reason its all working now:)

JBJ