Introducing Just-Lighthouse64

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

Profile.sfs

#181 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Dryfalls,

One of the SFSes loaded at bootup is profile.sfs. Just wondering what it does, Or is it's name self-explanatory?

mikesLr

Dry Falls

#182 Post by Dry Falls »

Hey Mike. Basically it's just a skeleton. From the Readme:
Readme wrote:On that note, 'profile.sfs' is a skeleton file which will autoload at boot-up and is meant to be edited (right click -- edit-sfs) to include personal configuragion files such as your mozilla directory (or anything you'd want to place there, should you not want any sort of session save
For example, I put my /root/.mozilla directory in so I don't have to reconfigure the browser everytime I run a new test. I also have a drive_c so I can run a few old win95 programs like a custom html editor or quicken to balance the checkbook. Well, the main reason for that is the k'ching wave every time you hit the enter transaction button, taking me back to the mechanical cash registers at the mom & pop grocery stores of my youth, before even bar codes and you could trust your kids to play in the street.

Back to the topic at hand, being that it is a read-only file, it doesn't get corrupted should the bad guys break in through the hole the browser creates, to make unscheduled deposits.

By the way, I still have an old slacko32 lib sfs I've used for i586 and i686 (?) wine. It works very well. I've often considered reworking the lighthouse version, but I like this one for it's backward compatibility. Easier just to upload 32bit-slacko-3.sfs and run pfix=Pure64 (zWine won't load) and use the wine addon of your choice.

df

Dry Falls

rmv-usb

#183 Post by Dry Falls »

wrote my first gui script for removing locked usb/sr0 device giving you a choice as to which device (not the one mounted as pup_ro1!) to safely remove/eject.

bad idea. back to drawing board.
Last edited by Dry Falls on Thu 09 Apr 2015, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

edoc

#184 Post by edoc »

Burned both versions to DVD's and tried to boot.

I tried 602.3.19.2.iso without the USB stick in place - on the assumption that BIOS would default to the next-in-line DVD drive - but either I didn't wait long enough or it got stuck (perhaps due to the weird UEFI setup on this HP Pavilion g7).

Then I changed the boot priority to DVD first & USB second, left the USB stick in place, then tried 3.18.8.iso - after a while it booted and it's beautiful!

Will run some more tests later ...

Thanks for JustLH64!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Dry Falls

powercfg -h off

#185 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks edoc. I've made a habit of using poweroff rather than reboot in the shutdown menu, but k3.18.8 seems to be more forgiving than the others (before kernel.org's fix). But booting/rebooting problems (hang) aren't always the fault of the kernel or os, particularly if win8.1 is installed. My box has an internal usb-on-chip that MS uses in the boot process, in addition to the ESP partition which seems to reset win boot defaults (and change back any partition flags you may have set) every time win8.1 restarts. It's not enough to disable fast start within windows -- hibernation must be disabled (every time!). Tazoc said this:
Tazoc wrote:...you must disable hibernation in Windows. To do that open a terminal as the administrator in Windows 8, and type powercfg -h off . The reason for this is that Windows mounts the ESP and when it hibernates it doesn't sync or unmount it. So if you boot another OS, shutdown, and then un-hibernate (Fast boot) Windows, the ESP's VFAT filesystem becomes corrupted.
There is also a proper way to shut down windows: hit the win key and x, then enter shutdown, but after opening the console as administrator and typing 'powercfg -h off'. That's solved most of my boot-to-linux problems after inadvertently forgetting to load the cd/usb to start the box. Linux also leaves things in the memory on shutdown which can cause problems when rebooting to a different distribution on the new hardware (at least mine). This wasn't a problem on my old xp tower or laptop because the older boxes actually shut off power to the memory between boots. Not this new and improved box. The memory alwas gets a trickle of juice even when off. This gives the illusion that windows is faster starting than it really is. To fully turn it off, you must not only pull the plug, but, holding a proper ground (metal part of the box) hold in the off button for several seconds for the thing to discharge (like resetting a car computer by disconnecting the battery and shorting the battery cables to each other for 18-20 seconds). Has any one else noticed this or is it just my particular acer?

Dry Falls

opera

#186 Post by Dry Falls »

uploaded opera-stable v27.0 to extrasfs. Already a new version -- update browser seems to work.

df

Ted Dog

#187 Post by Ted Dog »

Not sure if same Acer but yes.. mine seems to behave likewise and I pull my laptop battery/unplugged to get a true cold boot. likewise I added grub4dog on this Win8 Acer and everything is far worse, not sure if grub4dos is using some warm reboot trick to switch between windows and grub loaders, but those problems have mushroomed and even the suspend-resume in linux is getting messed up. I hope the actions are not going to keep on after I wipe grub4dog off this machine (had it for April, now with BK going with EFI I can get rid of grub4dos ) and use my own solution... grub4EFI :wink:

edoc

#188 Post by edoc »

602.3.19.2.iso does boot from the CD/DVD drive without the USB stick in place.

Looks great!

Is there a reason that it will not boot from USB - or has no one tried yet?

Thanks.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Dry Falls

#189 Post by Dry Falls »

edoc wrote:Is there a reason that it will not boot from USB - or has no one tried yet?
Hi edoc. My acer aspire X 603g only came off the assembly line January 2014, and is now set up to boot cd/dvd first, usb second and msbootmanager last. Thing is, it will only boot off a usb if it has a microsoft signature, and then only as the windows recovery 'drive'. If I have any cd/dvd with the uefi sector, its grub2 will find the grub.cfg on a usb stick (or drive) no matter its formatting. It's a bit of a pain unless you don't mind the disc as a permanent resident in the tray. It does prevent microsoft from loading unless you go back into the 'bios'/firmware and change back the boot order ... or obviously, remove the disc. Usb alone is ignored. My old xp laptop had the opposite problem -- no boot from cd unless it was the recovery disc. Works great with a usb stick (or usb ssd) and no hard drive (that one didn't survive the flood) and nary a microsoft at all.

df

chillinfart

#190 Post by chillinfart »

Still heavy on my poor netbook, but now Opera 28 can run and HD playback too :twisted: (You need to enable UXA acceleration in xorg.conf for Atom based CPU).

I hope to get the same sucess with networking tools (jnettop runs fine, but Wireshark is a nightmare to compile)

mikeslr

Lost my Seamonkey profile

#191 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Dry Falls & All,

Just tried to start Seamonkey64.sfs and it complained that the profile is missing. I'm not certain where or when it wondered off. :?

IIRC --other than in JustLightHouse or other 64-bits-- the way to straighten this out is to delete the entire /root/.mozilla folder and restart Seamonkey. That creates a new /root/.mozilla within which would be a new profile.

Catch is /root/.mozilla may contain "config" and other files for browsers other than Seamonkey. I do not have Firefox. But I do have the other browsers which came with Just Lighthouse64. So, I figured it was better to ask before I screw up other browsers.

Can /root/.mozilla be safely removed? or is there some other way to create a new Seamonkey profile?

mikesLr

gcmartin

#192 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Mikeslr. Would you update your PPM on JLH and then check to see which Seamonkey is available. My PPM is showing 2.32.1.

I had used an earlier SM2.21 PET on the JLH and have a folder /root/.mozilla/seamonkey containing profile and other SM stuff. You may have one, too.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 24 Apr 2015, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Dry Falls

mozilla etc

#193 Post by Dry Falls »

Can /root/.mozilla be safely removed? or is there some other way to create a new Seamonkey profile?
You would be running a mozilla browser as spot, I presume. Root doesn't have this problem. However, you don't have to delete .mozilla. Simply drag the directory to /root/File or to your partition or wherever. Then be sure to symlink back to the spot directory. If you create a save file, frugal symlink on first run (frugal icon in desktop folder) and you're off and running. This is explained in the readme file.

On the other hand, /root/.mozilla is an empty folder in the base file, so if there is a .mozilla directory on the seamonkey addon (other than /spot/.mozilla) it is a mistake and should be removed.

Seamonkey-2.33-x86_64-1.sfs is at gdrive and is included in the next release, which is just about ready. Also Opera27, Vivaldi, chromium, firefox etc. If you download a browser from another repository, you may have to do a bit of tinkering to get it to run well.

@ chillinfart, can you write a rule for /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ or option for xorg.conf? This would help those who have such a device. As I don't, I'm afraid I can't. thanks.

Next release has kde4.10 entirely built from slackware packages. Staying with k3.18.8.

df

stemsee

#194 Post by stemsee »

next release is entirely built from slackware or kde?

Dry Falls

#195 Post by Dry Falls »

stemsee wrote:next release is entirely built from slackware or kde?
kde is the default desktop for slackware. I merely built a kde desktop from slackware packages (and mamba rpms) to replace Tazoc's kde-4.6.5 with the kde-4.10.5 build. There was a compatibility issue with the gcc and qt upgrade in lighthouse. It was just easier than continually fixing the old one, leaving orphan files all over the place to confuse things. We're almost caught up with 2013. 14.1 is popular, still maintained, and it looks like it'll be around for quite a spell.

df

chillinfart

#196 Post by chillinfart »

Dry Falls wrote: @ chillinfart, can you write a rule for /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ or option for xorg.conf? This would help those who have such a device. As I don't, I'm afraid I can't. thanks.
From Arch Linux Wiki:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection 
My graphics card is Intel GMA 3100 (integrated with my Intel ATOM N450) and without that suffers a lot in performance. I don't know how is this with later cards.

Reading Arch Linux Wiki, the issue is because SNA acceleration is active by default on lastest Intel drivers for Linux (and my card doesn't support it)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics

And now i have an issue. Xorg.conf seems to be reset sometimes, so i should write this again.

stemsee

#197 Post by stemsee »

@Dry Falls

Please check out the latest 64bit kernel I compiled, 4.0.0 ... i think it is a keeper!

edoc

gparted fails with NTFS partition

#198 Post by edoc »

I'm trying to set up dual-boot with the #7 MS version of windows.

When I run gparted it fails to partition the NTFS partition (the second one, not the reserved one).

The error is essentially that it requires ntfsprog/ntfs-3g

Is this missing from Just-LH64 or do I need to do something different?

I'm booting from CD/DVD using v. 602-3.19.2.iso

NOTE: I did a Search and found a Ubuntu thread which said to run "chkdsk x: /r" from Safe Mode. I then had to ask someone how to get to Safe Mode in win 7 - which is to bang on F8 while booting - then (at least on this laptop) choose Repair Computer and follow options to get to Safe Mode. I did have to unmount the drive (in this case "D") before chkdsk ran. It found no problems so my son backed-up what he needed to protect & I decided to reformat the partition ... hopefully that works so I may do a Frugal install.

Thanks! David

edoc

PPM Won't Install Seamonkey

#199 Post by edoc »

Installed on the laptop alongside ms version of windows #7.

PROBLEM: It fails when I try to install Seamonkey. I tried Puppy64 and Slackware.

I did first try updating the repository lists.

Any idea if this is a temporary problem or do I need to install it a different way?

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

Can't download from google drive

#200 Post by edoc »

I was successful in a Frugal install of Just-Lighthouse64 602-3.19.2

I am having no success using PPM, LH Update, etc. - everything says it's not available or missing pieces.

Tried IceCat - clicking on the extras link - which brings up Google Drive (which I otherwise avoid) - but that also does not allow me to download.

I even logged in with my gmail account - made no difference.

Help, please?

Thanks.

EDIT: I may have spotted the problem - but don't understand why it happened. When I just went to power-off it behaved as if I had never powered-off before - asking about save location, etc. That may explain why I could not download ... but opens up questions about v. 3.19.2
[b]Thanks! David[/b]