CorelDRAW8 Installed on Puppy Linux

Talk about and post software packages known to work or packaged for Puppy.
GarySmith

CorelDRAW8 Installed on Puppy Linux

#1 Post by GarySmith »

I've spent some time with surfing the Internet and editing some of my CorelDRAW8 files today.

While CorelDRAW8 and Corel PhotoPaint8 install it's the PhotoPaint that seems to operate the best.

CorelDRAW is lacking to operate the first time on the pull-down menu for some commands.

I've developed two work arounds for:

1) Copy command -- there is a Duplicate command that does the same thing and with 0 offset (pasting) sets in place just as if it were copied.

2) Since not being able to copy, one can simply import a different .CDR file and get a piece of any other file out of the image needed.

Gary
______

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

I have a Corel Draw Suite 8 installed into my Wine SFS, mainly because for the use of Corel Photopaint. Didn't try Corel Draw and Dream 3D so far - no need actually.

But I love to have Corel Photopaint 8 for a use in my LazY Puppy. Lots of PlugIns installed, only a few causing a crash of Photopaint - my favorite PlugIn, Red Paw Media Beautifier, works great!
Attachments
Photopaint8.jpg
(76.6 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

GarySmith

#3 Post by GarySmith »

Re: I have a Corel Draw Suite 8 installed into my Wine SFS, mainly because for the use of Corel Photopaint.

LazyPuppy, what am I missing in the above statement? I installed CorelDRAW8 from the setup file.

I know when I hear Wine SFS that there must be a pet or package that ends in SFS.

Gary
_____

LazY Puppy

#4 Post by LazY Puppy »

LazyPuppy, what am I missing in the above statement? I installed CorelDRAW8 from the setup file.
I hope I do understand this the right way?

I had done this in the end of 2011 / beginning of 2012 using LazY Puppy (a Lucid Puppy 528-4 Derivative) and the Wine 1.3.13 (iirc it came as .pet and I converted it into a SFS?).

I have the Corel Draw Suite installation files in a directory on a HD and installed SETUP.EXE and D3DSETUP.EXE from there after loading the Wine SFS.

At first -after loading the Wine SFS- I executed wordpad(?) or any different app to let Wine complain about the missing Gecko files. Downloaded and installed them (was a single Process iirc), then installed the Corel SETUP.EXE and D3DSETUP.EXE.

After setting up Corel Photopaint to have some tools as buttons in a docked "panel" at the left side (it crashed a few times but did accept the settings at next start) and also to have my Corel Scripts added and after all of it was finished, I'd opened up a copy of the Wine SFS that has been loaded first and copied /root/.wine completely into the directory of the extracted Wine SFS. After this I'd rebuilt the Wine SFS and renamed it to WineCorelSuite.sfs which I'm still using in my different LazY Puppy Systems which are based on:

- Lucid 528-4, Precise 5.6 and 5.7.1, MacPup 525, Carolina 1.2, Studio 13.37, Tahr 6.0 and Unicorn 6.0 (overseen any?)

Made a reboot (no save file), loaded the new created WineCorelSuite.sfs and executetd Photopaint directly from its binary in the Corel directory: /root/.wine/drive_c/Corel/Graphics8/Programs/photopnt.exe.

After successfully testing Corel Photopaint only, I extracted a copy of WineCorelSuite.sfs again to edit. Created scripts to call wine executing the Corel binaries and created .desktop Files to be able to execute the scripts for the Corel Applications from the Puppy Menu.

Rebuilt the SFS and done.

Example of my run_corel_photopaint8 Script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
wine "C:\\Corel\\Graphics8\\Programs\photopnt.exe"
Example .desktop File, LP2_CorelPhotopaint8.desktop:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Corel Photopaint 8.232
Exec=run_corel_photopaint8
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Path=/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Start Menu/Programs/Corel Draw Suite 8
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/photopaint.png
Categories=PuppyInstalledApps;SFS-Wine;3DGraphics;
In my remastered OS I had changed/defined run actions for the .cpt, .cdr and .d3d Files and created a script, that loads automatically the WineCorelSuite.sfs when clicking a .cpt, .cdr or .d3d file. Also added right-click option to send different file types of graphics files directly to Corel Photopaint.

Was it this what you are asking for?

BtW: yes, Corel Draw crashes when copying (Strg-C) content. But to duplicate (Strg-D) content works very well.
Attachments
capture26672.jpg
Corel Draw 8 in a Tahr Puppy Derivative
(84.12 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

GarySmith

LazyPuppy Posting

#5 Post by GarySmith »

LazyPuppy, I do understand now that you are light years ahead of me on the subject.

So my installation seems to be working just as well in my opinion as the useful work I see from your latest post.

I'm now using my CorelDRAW8 full time as of today in Linux and love it. There are fewer issues and no crashes due to common usage as with WinXP.

Thank you and I shall go reread your post again.

Gary
______