How-to run Fatdog-64-700 in an Acer IconiaTab W500/W510

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
01micko

How-to run Fatdog-64-700 in an Acer IconiaTab W500/W510

#1 Post by 01micko »

This is my attempt at getting a puppy, in this instance Fatdog-64-700, running on an Acer IconiaTab 500. It will also work on the 510 variant which has 3g, but the 3g is untested as I don't have that hardware. It may even work on the 700/710 variants, I have no idea but if you have one please let me know if it works.

These are true x86/x86_64 tablets which come with a keyboard dock. While it doesn't work perfectly, it is quite satisfactory even though multitouch isn't working.

NOTE: we are only focusing on a usb install on SDHC card, but a usb stick will do. If you want to be adventurous you can pursue other types of installs but I'm not supporting them.

REQUIRED NOTE: I recommend you do this on another computer with Fatdog installed or running live off cd/dvd however, it could be accomplished with an iconia only.

STEPS
  • 1. Boot up fatdog64-700, plugin and format the SD card to ext2, ext3 or ext4. I used ext2 because I didn't want journal filesystem. There are ways to create ext4 without journal but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. Take note of what device it is (sdb1,sdc1,sdd1 or whatever). You can use gparted for all of this or if you know what you are doing fdisk, cfdisk or whatever you like. Make sure 'boot' flag is set.
    2. Go to Fatdog Control Panel (little colorful asterisk icon in task bar) and when it opens go to the Utilities tab and double-click Fatdog64 Installer. Choose the correct partition (which you noted in the last step), don't worry about formatting again and go through all the steps to installed, which is covered on here but make sure that you do not choose small initrd.
    3. After install to SD card is successful load the 2 sfs from the 'REQUIRED" section above to the SD card; do not put them in a subfolder, ie: just to the root partition of the card where you see folders named 'boot' and 'lost+found'.
    4. Unmount the card and place it into the IconiaTab (of course it must be switched off) and proceed to boot it by holding down the windows key then pressing the power button. As soon as you see the cursor it is safe to let go of the windows key and then you'll see the Acer splash very briefly and after quite a few more seconds you will be presented with the Fatdog boot menu. At this point just let the 10 seconds elapse and it will boot. I'll mention here that it is best to have they keyboard connected for navigation as touch will work but there is no on-screen keyboard until the sfs is loaded.
    5. Once boot, the very first thing to do is to open the Fatdog Control Panel and go to the Sound tab and set your sound card with Fatdog64 Set Default Souncard. Choose the second entry card1.
    6. Shut down (don't reboot as it's difficult to know when to press the windows key) and go through the save file motions, I recommend a save folder.
    7. Once shut down is complete boot again holding windows key but this time choose Fatdog64 with savefile in usb device. You can navigate the menu with the volume up/down key rocker on the LHS of the device and hit the windows key to confirm the action. You must do this or the save folder/file won't be found as the usb device isn't ready.
    8. The thing will now boot to desktop and show the SFS Manager. Click the first sfs in the left pane and the right arrow then the second sfs in the left pane then the right arrow. Both the python and the iconia sfs should now be in the right pane. Click ok and also make sure you click ok for them to load at next boot (and all subsequent boots).
    9. Now go to the control panel again and choose Utilities tab and double-click Savefile Argument Builder. That should be self explanatory; it's quite simple, just click the drive icon with the yellow square, then drag the fd64save (file or folder) to the entry box in the program, make sure usb is chosen, then go to the next window and copy the generated arg to the clip board. Now, back in the drive icon directory click the 'boot' folder then when that opens click the 'syslinux.cfg' file which will open in geany text editor. fund the first line that says 'append' (around line 34):

Code: Select all

append rootfstype=ramfs
    .. add a space to that line then copy your argument to that line.

It will now appear like so:

Code: Select all

append rootfstype=ramfs savefile=ram:uuid:(some_hex_id_goes_here):fd64save waitdev=5
    ..where (some_hex_id_goes_here) is the unique id generated by the argument builder and 'fd64save' is the name of your save folder/file. NB: mine is fd64save as it is the default for a save folder. A save file has an extension.
    10. Now you could reboot but it's best if you move some icons around and put the task bar at the top because the keyboard will appear at next boot if the sfs files load properly. Just right click an empty area of the taskbar and choose 'Configure Panel'. I recommend making it bigger too (48px).
    11. Now poweroff. Then Boot, holding windows key but now when the Fatdog Boot menu appears don't select another entry, the default will work now. Once booted, you will find that the keyboard appears. This can be toggled with the 'CW' icon in the top right system tray.
    12. That's it.
There are a few other little goodies in there that I'll let you discover. It certainly isn't perfect but I find it just as usable as the default win 7 installation.

Enjoy!

(screen shots later)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

r2

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

d2

zigbert

#4 Post by zigbert »

:D

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

Just getting this on my watchlist (incidentally i am posting this from an acer iconia w501 using Slacko 6.3.0.1 (32bit version) combined with my "touch enhancement" pet (includes button size enhancements and desktop :root:1" menu for accessing context menu, puppy menu and xvkbd keyboard.)

I will be starting a thread specifically for the Slacko 6.3.0.1 and Iconia w50x combo shortly.

I hope to try fatdog at some point soon. Didn't edoc also have a w500? I wonder if he has tried this?