Ubuntu 10.04 LTS support ends in April

For discussions about security.
bark_bark_bark

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS support ends in April

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I don't use Lucid pup, but there are people here that do. What will happen when April 30th comes?

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

As static build lucid puppy will survive. I have a still running and with security fixes of puppy 4.31. Read these three posts:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 057#835057

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

As much as happened with XP... those who have their heads screwed on will carry on regardless...others will play the update game and all that entails.

When a real problem arises it will be dealt with.....

Mike

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

As much as happened with XP... those who have their heads screwed on will carry on regardless...others will play the update game and all that entails.
x2

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

ardvark

#5 Post by ardvark »

Hi all...

Actually, support for the server version ends in April. Support for the desktop version ended back in May of 2013. I'll miss it, it was a very good version of Ubuntu. :(

With the repositories for Lucid shut down, that will clearly affect users of Lucid Pup...

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

LazY Puppy

#6 Post by LazY Puppy »

With the repositories for Lucid shut down, that will clearly affect users of Lucid Pup...
Does this mean, after End of April 2015 there will be nothing to be found anymore for the Lucid using the Package Manager?

Will this affect also the mirrors?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

Old releases of ubuntu are at:

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

I assume you change the repository address... for debian I can go back to bo at archive.debian.net which is very old.
Mind you it took them best part of a year to transfer lenny.

The actual ftp hosts for the debs themselves on the other hand were always there...only the front end site moved.

I guess ubuntu may follow a similar pattern.

Although piggy backing off someone elses work can have the drawback of what happens if they change I doubt if its as drastic as loosing all files....

Drop support is more about not applying fixes and backports.
Interesting I can get windows 2000 related files from microsoft still and I hear update still gets stuff for XP...

mike

bark_bark_bark

#9 Post by bark_bark_bark »

mikeb wrote:Interesting I can get windows 2000 related files from microsoft still and I hear update still gets stuff for XP...

mike
It's interesting that XP can still download updates from Windows Update and older versions like Win9x/ME/NT can't.

ardvark

#10 Post by ardvark »

mikeb wrote: Interesting I can get windows 2000 related files from microsoft still and I hear update still gets stuff for XP...
Hi...

Yes, but it's more of a case of who you are as far as being eligible for them. However, I did notice that you can still get updates (on XP) for certain Office products. Microsoft even threw in last month's virus checker. :wink:

A while back I did a Ubuntu 6.06 install to see if it would work on an older system I had and I read an article somewhere how you could manually enter some Ubuntu archive PPA addresses (I can't remember how many) into Synaptic which would allow software to be available for this version. As I recall, I was able to get some stuff but not everything....but it was better than nothing at all. :wink:

@LazY Puppy: I'm not sure how long it will be before Canonical shuts these servers down but I would think that Puppy's repositories would remain open, which will allow some software to remain available.

Regards...

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

again are we talking servers or the front end websites that change/hide?
Makes the difference as to a whether a package manager works.

With debian the older releases shrink in mirror numbers over time.

2000/xp ...well was thinking in terms of additions and installer updates etc etc... the best security update for windows does not come from microsoft and never has so no loss there.

mike

ardvark

#12 Post by ardvark »

mikeb wrote:again are we talking servers or the front end websites that change/hide? Makes the difference as to a whether a package manager works.
Hi Mike...

I found the information on some website but the servers were actually Canonical's, with the name including "backport" or "archive," I can't remember which or both.

Regards...

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

perhaps the irony may be that puppy will provide the long term lucid support :)

mike

cthisbear

#14 Post by cthisbear »

" It's interesting that XP can still download updates from Windows Update and older versions like Win9x/ME/NT can't.

::::

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... _pack.html

Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition Service Pack 3.40

http://www.techtalk.cc/viewtopic.php?t=65

Chris.