Introducing Just-Lighthouse64

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
chillinfart

#161 Post by chillinfart »

- My ISP Bitel has an APN without password, so Wvdial sends an error about "it needs a password". I need to recompile it to correct this? (Slacko version doesn't have this issue)

- Also i got a slow performance in my Intel Atom N450 compared with 3.8.7. kernel. I tried to disable the gkrellm and dock bars to gain some resources, but i didn't find how.

- Xarchiver version is so old that deb packages cannot be open (0.5.2). 0.5.4 version is easy to complile via devx in old 3.8.7 kernel, should be easy to update with this version too (i need this to install Opera Next).

- Finally, lighthouse updater still pointing updates to old 3.8.7 patches (like video drivers). Be careful with that.

I'm using Mariner version (3.18.5)

Dry Falls

#162 Post by Dry Falls »

Greetings, chillinfart. I no longer have dialup, so haven't been able to test it, but nothing is changed in that regard from the original. A good test would be to substitute the original lighthouse (Tazoc's) L64-602.sfs for this one but run under this kernel and initrd. If it runs better, then I have a problem with the remaster which needs attending to. If not, then it is in the kernel configuration, which, frankly, I'm having problems with. "Make menuconfig" gives me the willies.

To disable conky (clock/processes), go to root/startup and drag 'fix-widgets' into the disabled folder; restart. Right click on the top of gkrellm and a menu will appear giving you the option to change configuration or remove from desktop. To prevent it altogether, do the same procedure as with conky in the startup folder.

But if you really want more resources, switch to lxde or jwm desktops (available from shutdown menu). I always run with xfce and 5_kde loaded, and for serious work, I use the xfce desktop as it's very agile. Kde has some apps which work regardless of window manager. I use ark for all my archiving needs.

thanks, and hope we can straighten this thing out,
df

ps., you can use the devx from the extrasfs iso in the mean time. But I will have the new one up the 28th when my satellite quota is reset.

chillinfart

#163 Post by chillinfart »

I also confirm that Opera 28 has issues to run in Mariner 3.18.x.

On 3.8.7 was a bit quirky, i should gave some permissions to files, but the same procedure doesn't work with new one.

The symptom, even it's own pages (i.e Speed Dial) doesn't load, but no log or clue about this issue.

Dry Falls

#164 Post by Dry Falls »

chillinfart wrote:I also confirm that Opera 28 has issues to run in Mariner 3.18.x.
Yes, except for mozilla, the newer generation browsers don't work with this kernel as it appears in JL64. Not just chrome/chromium but opera and palemoon as well. Something about the sandboxing, I think. They, on the other hand, run fine in 'fathouse-retro'...same base file, different kernel. Unfortunately, while software-friendly, the fatdog kernel configuration doesn't like my hardware. k3.18.8 is the first to appropriately identify my moniter!

Dry Falls

#165 Post by Dry Falls »

Reconfigured and recompiled k3.18.8 (again!) and now everything works (knock on wood). Will upload a new iso toward the end of the month, junking everything else except for Chubby (just for those who like to live dangerously). By today's standards, during which everything three months ago was pre-columbian and 2014 was downright pre-pleistocene, Just-Lighthouse is still retro ... and still works. One remaining problem to deal with is parted (which updates easily) and g-parted (which doesn't) so that lighthouse will not only be able to write f2fs, but read it as well.

df

Dry Falls

#166 Post by Dry Falls »

A readme to help get you started on the upcoming release of Just-Lighthouse64 (a remaster of Lighthouse64-602beta) with a new kernel ( k3.18.8 ) and upgraded tool chain.

The iso download will be 595M, but includes everything (including 4 different browsers) except the devx, kernel sources, documentation file (man, doc, locale) and KDE desktop/resources, an additional 900M of (what I consider) essential sfs addons for a complete working system. All told there will be 2+ gigs of additional packages (mostly sfs files) tailored for this distribution.

devx, 5_kde, gvs, kernel sources, documentation and xfce are available to download now from the extrasfs directory (see opening post). To use devx with any older lighthouse, change JL64-602 back to L64-602 and it will auto-load.

Read Me file

df

ICPUG

#167 Post by ICPUG »

Get an error message trying to read the readme:

You don't have permission to access /Readme.html on this server.

Dry Falls

#168 Post by Dry Falls »

ICPUG wrote:Get an error message trying to read the readme:

You don't have permission to access /Readme.html on this server.
I don't know what to say. I've had other reports that it works fine but is redundant. It's basically a re-write of the opening post. It's a borrowed Canadian server, so it might not be accessible in all areas, but I don't see why not. I was thinking of forking out the $160 for a minimal space to host the distro.

df

Dry Falls

upload

#169 Post by Dry Falls »

iso is now up for JL64. Click MARINER64-602B2 on opening post. Some new packages at ExtraSfs.

ICPUG

#170 Post by ICPUG »

The error message seems to be a function of the browser I used - very basic but secure - no javascript. To say not having permission is a bit of a strange message for this fault though.

It worked when I used Opera from Lighthouse 5.0.3g

Dry Falls

patch

#171 Post by Dry Falls »

JL64-602.sfs___JL64-602.sfs.delta patch with missing libs for parted & gparted uploaded. Not quite to the point of reading f2fs but now g-parted can find it. This one is tricky.

df

stemsee

#172 Post by stemsee »

Just booted this and two things I noticed.
1. The kernel sees 1 core only = 2 threads.
2. The default resolution is 1024 x 768

I will install my latest 3.19.2-64 kernel and see how that goes.

But seems to be running very well, as before.

Chromium loaded on boot, but icon in wbar doesn't start it. starting in term says libnss3.so cannot open shared object file.

I will try to add get latest chrome script, and see how that goes.

Dry Falls

#173 Post by Dry Falls »

I don't know about the kernel thing, as it sees all my cores and three threads each (system, cpu and user) and mksquash says it's using 4 processors, as do superkaramba and gkrellm. I'll make a new iso and upload it. Maybe that's the problem.

However, I just tracked down the problem with chromium. Seamonkey MUST be loaded. I thought it might be them keeping track of the competition but it's just three dependencies in Seamonkey NEITHER Chromium nor Vivaldi come packaged with: /usr/pkgconfig/libxul.pc, plugin.pc and/or xpcom.pc. Should be an easy enough fix.

Meanwhile, I've been playing with April64-7 and all I can say is "How f'n refreshing!" k3.17.4, and everything but UEFI works -- It's frugal install or nothing for me. Still trying to figure out the f2fs bug. It looks like grub2 can't identify f2fs (before the linux kernel is loaded) AND/or my bios/firmware is just too limited -- no legacy boot option. I really truly despise UEFI!

df

Dry Falls

#174 Post by Dry Falls »

Should be an easy enough fix.
I take that back. I put in nss3 to replace nss1 but there are too many symlinks involved, and to fix them means, I think, no more backwards compatibility and other functions may become disabled. Besides, I think it's not the files they need (they have them). It's the browser itself. Firefox or SeaMonkey come built in with most linux distributions. Chrome works with either. Loading Mozilla without a browser works not. Chrome and Vivaldi want the browser itself loaded or installed. I suppose it's to show how fast they can import your bookmarks, history, passwords and other personal settings. I think I'll put Icecat back in as a built-in just to be nasty!

df

edit:
I'll make a new iso and upload it.
done

mikeslr

Thank you's and 32-bit compatibility without zWine

#175 Post by mikeslr »

Thank you's:

Barry Kauler for creating Puppy Linux, publishing it, and inspiring others to explore its potential;
All devs, programmers and testers who dedicated their time, expertise and effort to explore and develop that potential;
Tazoc, whose foresight and dedication brought into existence Lighthouse64, an operating system of unquestionable excellence;
Kirk, Jamesbond and 01micko who have contributed much toward creating a modern operating system for modern computers;
shinobar and the Japanese Team, for making good things better;
Dry Falls for having the courage to apply his knowledge and expertise to updating Lighthouse64. It is my understanding that it is often more difficult to carry on the work of another than to “start from scratch
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#176 Post by gcmartin »

Here's is a representation of what is seen when desktop windows are opened. Even MENU has similar mess.

This is a firsttime for me with this kind of problem and I am unsure how to resolve. I have tried abandoning desktop to prompt and change xorgwizard-puppy resolutions and drivers, to no avail.

Touch on screen is very accurate, but, fonts/characters are not readable.

Any advice to resolve this?
Attachments
send2DFalls.png
Recent JLH on a Dell Touch AIO UEFI PC boots to a desktop where fonts on Windows are disoriented and Menu entries are also twisted.
(101.91 KiB) Downloaded 317 times

Dry Falls

font rendition

#177 Post by Dry Falls »

@GCMartin: I had the same problem in fatdog. If the fonts get progressively worse or the display begins to smear, try Xorgwizard-puppy/xorgwizard at first boot or menu/setup/Setup Lighthouse/Personalize settings. I've found with these later kernels, xorg makes a better coice than vesa. If that doesn't work, use the generic framebuffer driver. If still no luck, fall back to one of the earlier kernel packages, the one which worked before. Both 3.18.8 and 3.19.2 iso's are at the gdrive link.

@Mikesir: Thankyou; I'm flattered. Courage/foolhardiness? Ok, but the knowledge part may be a tad overestimated. Without Q5sys, Stemsee and Rufwoof, I'd still be peering over the top rail of my crib, wondering if I'll ever make it to a bunkbed like the big kids!

df

ps. I've been playing with pupmode=7, on usb stick and usb ssd. pmedia=usbflash works for both. A lot like save to folder, but at the root of the partition. I took the autosave out of rcshutdown so there is the same save dialog in pupmode7 as in 14 and 15. Edit lines 398-412 thus:

Code: Select all

#7) #PDEV1 and PUPSFS.
  # echo -n "Saving session to $PDEV1..." >/dev/console
  # /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /initrd/pup_ro1 /initrd/pup_rw 2>&1 & #130312
   #snapmergepuppy_progress_func #130312
  #;;
 13) #PDEV1 and PUPSFS and PUPSAVE
   #/initrd/pup_rw has tmpfs, pup_ro1 has ${DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX}save.3fs file (PUPSAVE), pup_ro2 has PUPSFS file.
   #the above are in unionfs at /.
   echo -n "Saving session to $SAVEFILE (${SAVEPART})..." >/dev/console
   /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /initrd/pup_ro1 /initrd/pup_rw 2>&1 & #130312
   snapmergepuppy_progress_func #130312
  ;;
  7|14|15) #PDEV1 and PUPSFS and PUPSAVE, #130312 prompt before saving session
  #/initrd/pup_rw has tmpfs, pup_ro1 has ${DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX}save.3fs file (PUPSAVE), pup_ro2 has PUPSFS file.
  #the above are in unionfs at /. ...
Another thing I've discovered is that it's best to use gslapt/install for official slackware packages. Petget sometimes gets confused by the internal architecture.

Finally, Seamonkey is now upgraded to 2.33.1. I'm working out the problem with spot not connecting with mozilla/gnuzilla first-run. I'm not sure the way I fixed run-as-spot by frugal linking .mozilla and .cache in the spot directory, that spot is even spot anymore!

jamesbond

#178 Post by jamesbond »

@mikeslr - Fatdog has three 32bit SFS over the years: the very first one was based on Puppy Wary 5 (for Fatdog64 500), the second one was based on Puppy Slacko 5.3 (for Fatdog64 600), and the very latest one is based on Puppy Slacko6 (5.9.3) for Fatdog64 700.

Judging from the size and the date, your is probably the second one, which, unfortunately, during a re-org last week when I uploaded the latest 32-bit sfs, was hidden. I have since restored the link, here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/60 ... acko-3.sfs. This is the third attempt at the sfs (thus the -3), yours is probably the first iteration. I no longer have a copy of the 1st iteration.

Hope that helps.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

mikeslr

32bit-Slacko-3.sfs provides 32bit compatibility

#179 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All & especially jamesbond,

Thank you for the information. The 32bit compatibility sfs I have might be the first version, but the 32bit-slacko-3.sfs which you provided in the link on the above post works as well. Posting "using" it now.

Moved my functional SaveFile into a protected folder and rebooted. Created a new SaveFile and rebooted. SFS-loaded 32bit-slacko-3.sfs. Right-clicked portable-wine and selected register. Although wine related listings then appeared on the Menu, X had to be restarted before they functioned properly.

I have a 32bit version of opera as a "program folder" on /mnt/home. Opera can be opened by merely clicking its executable. Its from that 32bit application that this is posted.

mikesLr

Dry Falls

#180 Post by Dry Falls »

Delta patch for Chubby base file (missing devs) and corresponding patch for documentation.sfs. Also a delta file for JL64-3.18.8 base file (fairly minor).

k3.19.2 is showing some shutdown/reboot issues not present with the previous kernel. That's a general area reported by the kernel.org folks as having had been tweaked.

df