Puppy on chromebook

Booting, installing, newbie
mekalu2k4

puppy on chromebook c710

#21 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi all,

I was able to put my hands on a Acer C710 Chromebook. It is upgraded to 16gb ram; 120gb SSD.

What I did is:
1. Followed a 'lifehacker' website http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-li ... -509039343 to install crouton and then installed Ubuntu (it is really chrubuntu)

2. KDE is good one; a great eye candy; better than compiz

3. Installed firefox, thunderbird, libreoffice, okular - using simple apt-get commands. - all working fine. But really 8gb RAM is more than enough; Machine is very fast. Even I tried playing online game no lag even at 4gb ram + chrubuntu. I do not think c710 can really use all the 16gb ram.

4. Virtualbox is the one that took longer to figure out. I thought it is just like other packages. Apparently there are different versions of virtualbox [c710 is x64 based]. This requires installation of dkms package. Basically I followed a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5cCdHqPiX0 - that is it. It worked well. I put windows 8 and that is also working fine.

5. I could not get the audio to work on Chrubuntu. youtube worked fine, but without sound. My son does not audio thankfully. Seems it is a known issue; i did not fight on.

Note the below:
1. Acer C710 is the only model that supports upgrades of RAM and HDD. Battery is also available on amazon and user replaceable. All other models RAMs are soldered into motherboard; Battery is not user replaceable. Not all newer versions do not have RJ-45 and VGA ports.

2. HDD: caution: C710 bios limits the machine to recognize up to 130gb. So, be aware that max advised is 120gb. I tested with a 500gb/ 7200rpm HDD it gave a warning, but worked and recognized up to 137gb or so.

3. tested the machine with 4gb ram and 500gb/7200rpm hdd with virtual machine and loads of packages [like Oracle 11g etc]. I did not see any lag. My son is using this machine currently for Oracle and I will have to return the machine by the end of April [that is when my son completes his term].

What I cannot understand is -
why ACER changed the machines to non-upgrade types? may be to reduce the weight and to increase the battery life? May be it is good to buy a used or refurbished C710 and use it as full linux machine/ and windows on virtualbox

8Geee

#22 Post by 8Geee »

If ACER got rid of the RJ-45 (and the chipset for eth0) jack, that would be cause enough. Most C-Books I see today = no RJ45.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

rokytnji

#23 Post by rokytnji »

What I cannot understand is -
why ACER changed the machines to non-upgrade types? may be to reduce the weight and to increase the battery life? May be it is good to buy a used or refurbished C710 and use it as full linux machine/ and windows on virtualbox
And here I thought I was the only one noticing this.
But everyone was on a C720 kick (better celeron) so I kept my pie hole shut.
Try a newer kernel (3.19) for the sound fix maybe.
uname -a will tell you what current kernel is running.

I still hate the bios on these laptops. It would be nice to flash a regular bios
on these things.

I agree with the OP that a bios flash would simplify things a lot, as this is the most agressively locked-down computer I have ever used.
Thread

And yes. Acer support sucks the big red one as well a ChromeoS Google groups support. They are all locked in to locking us out.

wboz

#24 Post by wboz »

Yes, the C720 has lost some physical features like the Ethernet jack and the VGA. You are wireless only (MAYBE it supports Ethernet over USB adapter, but I doubt it), and HDMI for a monitor.

The bigger downside is you cannot upgrade the RAM. 4GB is plenty but better make that decision when you buy it! 2GB is not enough.

For some uses, the older Acer is going to be preferred despite the downsides.

Let me try a comparison:
Acer C710:
Processor: Celeron 847, single core. Sandy Bridge, so two generations old now. CPUmark ~950, not good.
Upgradability: Can upgrade RAM. 2 slots. Easy internals access.
Storage: Large HDD, but slow. (WD Green). Can replace.
Connections: HDMI, Ethernet, VGA, SD Card, USD 2.0
Battery: External. Replacements available. But very short run time (~3hrs).

Acer C270:
Processor: Celeron 2955U, dual core. Haswell-ULT. CPUmark ~1400. (Most ppl won't be getting the i3)
Upgradability: No RAM upgrades. 4GB available.
Storage: 16-32GB. Can upgrade to m.2. Or use external media.
Connections: HDMI, SD, USB 3.0
Battery: Internal. Might be able to buy replacement. Longer run time.
And one more thing ... can boot from USB.

jakfish

#25 Post by jakfish »

Having run a variety of Linuxes on the C720, I found the issues were more software than hardware-related. The kernel can be tricky with regard to suspend, touchpad, etc.

But the 2GB limit has not been a problem for me. Then again, I don't game--even so, I can't see much fun gaming on a netbook, regardless of the available RAM.

The most startling thing is how the price of a C740 is at least 40% higher than its predecessors. True, there's better hardware, but at $280-$300 usd, I might pass on a Chromebook altogether, given its complicated transformation to Linux. I never could abide the ChromeOS.

Jake

wboz

#26 Post by wboz »

Heh. Opposite for me. My Acer is what I turn on when I need INTERNET NOW. It's a great machine in that respect. It's very like a tablet, in fact, only I don't find that the tablet form factor works for me at all -- had one, tried it, not interested for now. Later maybe. The C710 isn't my ONLY machine, that's for sure, but if you really needed it to be, it could do that too.

I realized in separate posts I listed the C720 as having a Celeron 1037 and a 2955U. The latter is off Acer's website. Did I just imagine the former?

jakfish

#27 Post by jakfish »

Hi, wboz--what flavor Linux did you go with, or are you sticking to the ChomeOS and its fast boot?

Jake

8Geee

#28 Post by 8Geee »

So whats the deal then, with the Celeron N2830/40's. I see these in C-Books under US$200. Supposed i64 but the low-end stuff limited to 2 or 4Gb using eMMC type SSD's (16Gb/32Gb). Any good (presuming ChromeOS)?

At the site I checked the ACER 710/20's are at least US$350.

edit: I checked a review of a particular mfg/model and Crouton --> Ubuntu is doable, thus my ?
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

greengeek

#29 Post by greengeek »

rokytnji wrote:I still hate the bios on these laptops. It would be nice to flash a regular bios on these things.
I don't know anything about these models but jakfish's post above mentioned "John Lewis' custom BIOS" which sounds interesting. This page here mentions the C710 and various other chromebook variants so maybe there is some hope for bios transplant that allows Puppy boot?

EDIT : That link also recommends users have a look at this page which has further recent info regarding updating Chromebook models with a more useful bios.

wboz

#30 Post by wboz »

jakfish wrote:Hi, wboz--what flavor Linux did you go with, or are you sticking to the ChomeOS and its fast boot?

Jake
Sorry for delay. On the Chromebook, I have stuck with ChromeOS. Knowing I could run Linux helped me be comfortable with the initial purchase. I had no need after that.

I use Ubuntu on my desktop, or very occasionally Slacko for troubleshooting. I use Lucid 5.2.8.7 on older laptops. When we travel, we invariably stick with Wife's iPad.

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, wboz...how's it going, man? Long time, long time.....

Just in case anybody's interested, I've just upgraded the 20 GB Hitachi Travelstar in the ancient Inspiron 1100 lappie for a Transcend 32 GB PATA/IDE SSD. Obviously, the ChromeBooks will have a SATA interface (which is faster), but it's made quite a difference to boot-up times, installs, etc.

Tahrpup now boots in about 20 seconds, where it was more like 50 before. I'm dual-booting with Xubuntu 14.04 LTS; I've had it on here before (with the Hitachi). Used to take about 35 mins to install; this time, it took just under 10 mins, from inserting the LiveUSB to re-booting. I'm impressed!

Puppy doesn't, however, actually run any faster, since it runs in RAM; but with the P4 upgrade, she's quite sprightly. I think there's a few years left in the old girl yet.....

Mike. :)

rokytnji

#32 Post by rokytnji »

greengeek wrote:
rokytnji wrote:I still hate the bios on these laptops. It would be nice to flash a regular bios on these things.
I don't know anything about these models but jakfish's post above mentioned "John Lewis' custom BIOS" which sounds interesting. This page here mentions the C710 and various other chromebook variants so maybe there is some hope for bios transplant that allows Puppy boot?

EDIT : That link also recommends users have a look at this page which has further recent info regarding updating Chromebook models with a more useful bios.
Mine is a 4 gig C710 that I picked up when they were <OVERPRICED not mine, the forum automagically inserted that> OVERPRICED for $89.00 before the price went up. It was a refurbished open box return to Acer. Probably from a disappointed purchaser who was used to Windows. The sale was from a Acer online dealer on ebay.

I only run ChromeOS on mine. I am a lucky person who gets free abandoned computer gear from my local City Hall offices. Posting right now on a free IBM Z60m laptop I just finished refurbishing.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ndex2.html

Scroll to the bottom to read the details. I use the Chromebook on our trips to Austin TX because it is my lightest laptop and works well for what it does. Owning mutiple 9 inch netbooks and other free computer gear. I suffer no shortage of computer gear that can run
Linux.

So I leave the chromebook alone. I almost bricked it the last time I tried to Linux it up.
Then common sense kicked in and I thought after I fixed it.

"I have a I5 8gig ram Dell laptop that runs Icewm and flys like the wind. Why convert the Chromebook if I already have that. Besides the Samsung RV 510 and the Dell XT2 Touchscreen that also run Linux. "

Thanks for the Links greengeek. I am sure other members will find them useful.

Pictures of other free gear I get.
http://i.imgur.com/ILKd6LZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0BsGBei.jpg

All are working Linux boxes now. Notice how clean City Hall keeps their gear?
The IBM now has a DVDRW and 2 gig of ram.
The Dells are 4 gig ram and DVDRW drives now also.
Those are just about 1/4 of what I have laying around to be used for anything.

greengeek

#33 Post by greengeek »

rokytnji wrote:I am a lucky person [/b]who gets free abandoned computer gear from my local City Hall offices.
Hope you're giving your wife a good payoff :wink:

greengeek

#34 Post by greengeek »

Just thought I'd link to this post by peterw regarding a version of Ubuntu that works on Acer C720 chromebook:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=2055
Maybe this version of ubuntu might offer clues in identifying ways to make puppy run well on this machine?

gcmartin

#35 Post by gcmartin »

For those who have a touch all-in-one PC, you might want to download and burn a DVD to run Chromixium.

FAbulous rendition of ChromeOS on a PC. Clean and swift, clean and responsive, clean and fast, clean and intuitive and it allows additions to be added. Cleanly.

The best way to describe ChromeOS on PCs/Chromebook/Chromeboxes/Tablets/Surfaces/ChromeSticks(you didn't hear that from me) is "Clean desktop operations" for what it does, It intends to be a carry around unit, IMHO. Remembering that it intends requiring to have internet connections, even if you set it for local file services, it really is a rather useful unit.

It approximates some of what PUPs do, but, current PUPs do more in ways we traditionally understand, in our home life. And the pathways to expanding PUPs is understood by seasoned members.

This is my testing in preparation of an upcoming purchase. I am waiting for the skylake announcements for units built for the ChromeOS. ... soon.

bibzpu

Update

#36 Post by bibzpu »

If you have an Acer C720 Chromebook see Hugegreenbug's iso's and check out Linux Mint Cinnamon. Note that only certain versions of C720 can use it, including my C720-2848.

I think the bottom line is that most Chromebooks cannot properly use Linux and those that do are mostly limited to crouton. There is a chart for compatibility ... let me find it ... here it is: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch ... Chromebook

Thankfully, conventional laptops are dropping down to Chromebook prices.

I personally wish there was a laptop with a SSD and no frills like DVD...and long battery life...and cheap...and fast with a Linux OS...and capable of installing a Puppy!!! I miss Puppy LInux!!!!! Thanks for listening to my bitchin'.

bibzpu

I think it's possible now...

#37 Post by bibzpu »

It may now be possible to install puppy linux on chromebooks that have been properly flashed by using Mr. Chromebox's firmware utility script. See: https://mrchromebox.tech/

My mostly used chromebook is a Toshiba with UEFI. I'll test some puppies that are compatible with UEFI and post the results.

Wish me luck please! :)

peterw

Puppy on Acer C720

#38 Post by peterw »

Just noticed this topic and thought that I would update readers on my experience with Linux and Puppy on a Acer C720.
My C720 was made Feb 2014 and the battery still has about 6 hours life. My version has 2 GB of RAM and I have found that more than adequate for all the task I do. I have modified it by swapping the ssd for a cheap 128 GB one and used the John Lewis instructions to fix the coreboot+seabios so that I don't have to do anything special to boot into the bootloader. And, if you fully discharge the battery it will not forget my settings.

I tend to change and try different distros. At the moment, I have PClinuxOS, Ubuntu with the budgie window, Fatdog64 and Slacko. All run well although the Slacko and other Puppies do not respond to the touch pad and you need an external mouse. Fatdog and the other Linux distros are similar in touch pad performance. That touchpad is not quite as good as the original Chromebook performance and I think not as good as that Hugegreenbugs distro I tried a while back.

peterw

Linux on Acer C720 Chromebook

#39 Post by peterw »

Using an Acer C720 Chromebook for Linux

Unfortunately, for some reason, I am having trouble posting this and gave up
Last edited by peterw on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 21:18, edited 11 times in total.

peterw

Linux on Acer C720 Chromebook

#40 Post by peterw »

Using an Acer C720 Chromebook for Linux

References

Unfortunately, many of the web pages with instructions that I used have gone missing or been updated since I modified my Chromebook and I can’t find or remember exactly what I did. I did a lot of reading and cross referencing to make sure that I understood what I had to do. Advise that you do the same.

This guy gives the procedure as I remember it, but it was not aware or it was not around when I changed my C720
https://ankitrasto.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ete-guide/

The Arch guys have still got guidance: https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/de ... chromebook and this site gives a picture of the C720 inside and what screw to remove.
And more info from the Arch community
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch ... ng_SeaBIOS

This video shows how to upgrade the ssd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrrL2Qy2PGI

And this site also has the general process. Although the step 9 web site is not active?
https://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/20 ... acer-c720/

And the John Lewis web site has also changed to add various Chromebooks, etc. It has vastly changed since I used it. It would appear that there is a complete ROM option now rather than the small changes that I used. I wonder if the full ROM will be better. I am OK as I am and will leave that decision for another day. Needs much more research.
https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook- ... -download/

And Google now have guidance on how to restore Chromebook if you want to start again
https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 5?hl=en-GB When I did my Chromebook you had to backup from a running machine but I have now read, “chrome://imageburner is no longer available (as of late 2016). instead you have to install the chromebook recovery utility.