Puppy 2.12: 3D-Control-Center V2.00

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

Roger, can we assume that 3D did not work with Puppy's standard 2D drivers?
Here is the revised 2D driver package - http://dotpups.de/tests/ati-mach64-Xorg7.0.tar.gz
It was compiled with the configuration option "#define BuildDevelDRIDrivers YES"
Uncompress it from your uppermost directory. It will overwrite the existing Xorg drivers in Puppy. Restart X.
Let us know if it works.

Roger

#22 Post by Roger »

Hi,

here's what dmesg

drm: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> Link [C090] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
[drm] Initialized mach64 2.0.0 20060718 on minor 0:
[drm:mach64_dma_init] *ERROR* mach64_dma_init called without lock held, held 0 owner 00000000 c8a95820
[drm:drm_unlock] *ERROR* Process 8263 using kernel context 0

and xorg log tell me:

(II) ATI(0): [drm] SAREA 2200+1208: 3408
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 7
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
(II) ATI(0): [drm] loaded kernel module for "mach64" driver
(II) ATI(0): [drm] DRM interface version 1.3
(II) ATI(0): [drm] created "mach64" driver at busid "pci:0000:01:00.0"
(II) ATI(0): [drm] added 8192 byte SAREA at 0xd08ca000
(II) ATI(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xd08ca000 to 0xb701e000
(II) ATI(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0x40000000
(II) ATI(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(EE) ATI(0): [dri] ATIDRIScreenInit failed because of a version mismatch.
[dri] mach64.o kernel module version is 2.0.0, but version 1.0 or greater is needed.
[dri] Disabling DRI.
(II) ATI(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) ATI(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xd08ca000 at 0xb701e000

Something wrong with the module (drm & mach64 are loaded) or the version recognition!?!

tempestuous

#23 Post by tempestuous »

Roger wrote:drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
This device should be created by the 3D DRI driver ... I can suggest a fix, but first run "lsmod" to check that all necessary kernel modules are loaded:

agpgart
intel-agp ## or whatever AGP module your motherboard requires (ali-agp / amd-k7-agp etc)
drm
mach64

All OK, but dmesg/Xorg.0.log still returns errors? Your last resort is to create that device node manually, like this -

mkdir /dev/dri
mknod /dev/dri/card0 c 226 0

MU

#24 Post by MU »

my ATI-radeon fglrx-driver enters hundrets of such lines in Xorg.0.log, but works, so this might be ignored.

Mark

Line 674 to 1957

drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID PCI:1:0:0
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card1
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns -1023
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card2

Roger

#25 Post by Roger »

Hi,

the modules
agpgart
intel-agp
drm
mach64

are loaded.

/dev/dri/card0 exists - it is created acoording to the xorg log (after 2 unsuccessful attempts before)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0

It seems to me that DRI is not recognising the module correctly
(EE) ATI(0): [dri] ATIDRIScreenInit failed because of a version mismatch.
[dri] mach64.o kernel module version is 2.0.0, but version 1.0 or greater is needed.
[dri] Disabling DRI.

DRI probably does not like version 2.0.0 ... ??

tempestuous

#26 Post by tempestuous »

It's difficult to know which component is at fault; the 2D driver, 3D driver, DRM module, or libGL.
But I have a suspicion that a newer version of libGL is necessary, to be compatible with the mach64 DRM module, which is the very latest. I will investigate further.

tempestuous

#27 Post by tempestuous »

Attached are the latest mach64-DRI driver, and openGL(Mesa)+libdrm. The CVS source code is the same as the mach64 kernel module was compiled from, so should be compatible.
The older opengl and DRI files in Puppy will be overwritten.

EDIT: mach64-DRI.tar.gz and opengl-CVS.tar.gz removed. See later post.
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 12 Dec 2006, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

Roger

#28 Post by Roger »

Thanks. Looks like it's getting messy again.
dmesg & Xorg.0.log show exactly the same errors as before.
I'm not sure if some of the previous modules or links or whatever should have been removed...?? Can I check somehow that the right modules/libs are used?
antinspect from MU's 3DCC package now refuses to work (it did before ... slowly)
/usr/local/3DCC/resource/antinspect: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: undefined symbol: drmOpenOnce

tempestuous

#29 Post by tempestuous »

Roger wrote:Thanks. Looks like it's getting messy again.
Yes. It might be a good idea to delete your pup_212.sfs file and start again.
To avoid confusion, the bits you need are -

mach64-DRM-k2.6.18.1 (kernel module)
ati-mach64-Xorg7.0 (DRI-enabled 2D driver)
mach64-DRI (3D DRI driver)
opengl-CVS+libdrm
Roger wrote:Can I check somehow that the right modules/libs are used?
There was some risk of conflicting libraries because you originally installed "OpenGL" from Mark's 3D-Control-Center, but if you start again with a fresh pup_212.sfs file, that problem is gone.
I think Mark's wizard provides the pupget verison of OpenGL ... and there are some other potentially conflicting files in it - at http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting I read this "make sure you don't have any parts of the nvidia binary driver installed, particularly libglx.so*"
The pupget OpenGL package contains some nvidia-looking files in /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/

Some other troubleshooting possibilities with xorg.conf:
in Section "Screen" set DefaultDepth 16, and limit the resolution to 800x600

in Section "Module" as well as Load "dri" and Load "glx" try -
Load "drm"

in Section "Device" try -
Options "ForcePCIMode" "YES"

tempestuous

#30 Post by tempestuous »

Roger, if no success, I suspect that the 3D components are not playing well with Xorg 7.0.

Xorg 6.8.1 was carried over from Puppy 1.0.9 to early Puppy 2.x versions ...
so I have packaged the mach64 3D files suitable for Puppy 2.01 and posted them here - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=83603
I also removed the earlier Puppy 1.x mach64 3D files and posted them in the same thread.

withasong

3DCC's 404 Error (DRI-Graficscard-Drivers not found)

#31 Post by withasong »

I got here from a link posted by tempestuous in the 85582 forum topic.

Tempestuous suggested I download the 3DCC instead of attempting to install the ATI proprietary drivers, which is what I'm trying to do.

I installed 3DCC, followed the first 2 steps outlined in the comment area successfully, but when I went to the 3rd step to install the DRI-Graficscard-Drivers, I get a file integrity error as a result of a failed download. I notice the download window (which closes rather quickly) says 404 error - file not found for the DRI-_dri.so.pup file.

I did a search for this file within the forum, but the search yielded no results.
Last edited by withasong on Sun 24 Dec 2006, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

stargazer

#32 Post by stargazer »

edit
Last edited by stargazer on Mon 15 Jan 2007, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

withasong

3DCC DRI-Implementation Problem & 3 ATI Radeon Cards

#33 Post by withasong »

Thanks stargazer for your response about the missing DRI download within 3DCC.

On my 9500, I first did install the DRI-radeon_dri.so.pup file and reboot as you suggested. The 3D demo still reports that DRI is not active and I get a frame rate of 14.29. MPlayer has a blank, black screen while the sound plays fine for all types of videos, and both MPlayer and gXine have the same response to DVDs (i.e., nothing on the screen but sound plays fine).

Then, also with my 9500, I noticed the Ati-8.28.8.pup file at the dotpups download site and figured I had nothing to lose since I was not in a winning position at the moment, so I downloaded it too, installed it and then rebooted and got different results. The 3D demo still reports that DRI is not active and I still get a frame rate of 14.29, but now MPlayer will play NO videos of any type at all (it just reports "Error opening/initializing video out (-vo) device" and it stops) uniformly for all avi's, mpg's, and DVDs, BUT gXine now plays DVDs with a grainy video picture with highly fractured movements. Progress for sure, but not positive!

Since I have 3 ATI Radeon cards (an 8500, 9500 and a 9600, each on a different computer), I have some questions about 3DCC and the two files I listed above (I've only tried to install the above files on the one computer that has the 9500 card, since it's the most troubled, but I want to get video working well on the other 2 computers too with Puppy):

:?: 1. Should I install only one of the above files (if yes, which one)?

:?: 2, Should I install both files (If yes, should one be before the other?...if yes, which one first)? Also, when the program which is installed second asks about overwriting files which the first put in place, I assume I answer "yes" -- correct?

:?: 3. Should nothing be installed from the DRI component of 3DCC then, if I do #1 or #2 above (that's, of course, if I get something more than a 404 error in the future with 3DCC's DRI component)? In other words, is the DRI-radeon_dri.so.pup equivalent to, and a replacement for, the 3DCC-based DRI-_dri.so.pup file, or should both types of DRI-files be installed to make things work properly?

:?: 4. Should I ignore the "DRI not active" message that continues to be reported after I install (and reboot) the DRI-radeon_dri.so.pup file and also the Ati-8.28.8.pup file (like so many in this thread have reported)? In other words, is this actually NOT an important message?

:?: 5. Should frame rates be so low? The 9500 ATI Radeon Pro that I have with 128 MB is far more capable than 14.29 FPS if it is properly accelerated, so I don't have something right here I'm sure (but I don't know what yet).

BTW, my 8500 and 9600 on my other 2 computers with Puppy 2.12 work moderately well with both MPlayer and gXine (I play avi's, mpg's, DVDs, etc., with viewable picture and sound), but I've still got the fractured-flickers thing whenever there's much video movement in both programs, but for some reason, the 8500 and 9600 don't have the fully blank, black video screen in MPlayer for all video types that the 9500-based computer has (which is a puzzle, since I set up all 3 computers with the same video parameters in Puppy)!

I hope I can get some useful feedback about questions 1 through 4 above to help me resolve question 5 and finally obtain a competitive result to what I have in Windows (which is full-motion videos of all types with no fractured movements or hesitations on all 3 computers, including, on the 9500 & 9600, full-motion 3D games with wonderful, fluid fog). We just have to get the right combination of things in Linux to bring forth what's there in the hardware already (just eagerly waiting to come out)!
Last edited by withasong on Sun 24 Dec 2006, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

Gn2

#34 Post by Gn2 »

Should frame rates be so low? ~ 9500 ATI Radeon Pro ~ 14.29 FPS
Results from Non-customised Nvidia 128MB DDR -W/8762 driver ) =
$ glxgears
26874 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5374.800 FPS
28765 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5753.000 FPS
28613 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5722.600 FPS
28750 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5750.000 FPS
28702 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5740.400 FPS
28447 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5689.400 FPS
28626 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5725.200 FPS
DRI = Direct Rendering Infrastructure
Mesa was used in lieu of proprietary drive support
(NOT for Nividia chipset use)

http://www.mesa3d.org/faq.html

Please use these resources:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_3.14.6.html

The X-server configuration is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Error logs are found in /var/log/ (Xorg._xx_logs)
NOT in /tmp -that folder MAY contain some Msg's - but is not the Linux default placement

If still problems , please paste in any errors & present xorg.conf file content

MU

#35 Post by MU »

Ati related issues

I just downloaded and installed again:
http://dotpups.de/3DCC/2.12/3DCC.pup

Clicked on: DRI-Graficscarddrivers -> Ati-fglrx-8.28.8 -> install

The Ati-dotpup is downloaded and installed.
So I don't understand, why it will not download for you :(

You can try this however:
save this dotpup:
http://dotpups.de/3DCC/2.12/Ati-8.28.8.pup
in the folder:
/root/dotpups-downloads

Then in 3DCC click again on
DRI-Graficscarddrivers -> Ati-fglrx-8.28.8 -> install

Now the downloadwindow opens again very shortly, but will not download again, as the pup is already there.
It then continues to install this dotpup and does some final configuration-steps.

It is not sufficient to install the dotpup "manually" (from Rox), as then you still would have a xorg.conf, that does not match this driver.
So please try it the way I desrcibed.

#########################
Concerning the other, "radeon"-drivers:
radeon:
Very old Ati-Radeon cards, like the 7000 series
r200:
Radeon chipsets R200/rv250/rv280 (models 8500-9250)
r300:
New Ati graficscards (model 9500 up)

Those drivers are more stable than the Ati-fglrx-8.28, in general I'd suggest to use those.
Only games like Doom3 or Quake4 will not work, as they need some OpenGL-specific features not included. But most other games run fine.
Even with the Ati-fglrx-drivers, Doom3/Quake4 crash with Kernel 2.6 (at least on my Radeon 7000 and 9250), so I personally still use a old Puppy 1.0.8 (Kernel 2.4) to play those games.

Short:
Ati fglrx: usually not recommended driver, only in seldom cases.
Radeon/r200/r300: recommended driver

###############################
Video acceleration:
In mplayer, choose another "video-out" in the options (right click in mplayer).
For the Ati-fglrx driver, use OpenGL.
For the "radeon/rxx" drivers, use "xv".

Mark

withasong

My Radeon 9500 Still Has A Blank, Blue Video Screen

#36 Post by withasong »

Thanks Mark for your reply.

I did as you suggested and installed the preferred r300 driver from 3DCC for my ATI Radeon 9500 with Puppy 2.12 and this time the driver installed (duh, previously I didn't think to highlight any driver and just clicked install with nothing selected, as I recall, so it seems obvious to me now why nothing loaded :oops: ). I then rebooted after r300 successfully installed.

I tried the 3D demo, but it still says uniformly (as before) that DRI is NOT active and I still get only 14.29 fps in the demo (suggesting that there is no video acceleration in effect). When I recheck what 3DCC says, it says DRI is active, but another run of the 3D demo still says it's not active (these two messages conflict obviously, as so very many people have reported in this thread -- so I'm not sure these are useful messages, I assume).

Regardless of the above, I ran MPlayer and right-clicked the player as you said and then, I assume, you meant for me to select the Preferences option and the video tab (though you didn't say to do this). The available drivers have the xv on top, and when I click on it, the "Configure Driver" button stays grey and of course won't activate if I click on it (in fact, if I select one-after-another all the options, "Configure Driver" always stays grey for each individual option). I really see nothing that exactly seems to fit the terms you used "choose another "video-out" in the option" except to do what I described in the previous sentences (it doesn't exactly say "video-out" is what I'm trying to say and I did try to find "exactly" what you indicated), but with the grey color of the "Configure Driver", nothing seems configureable in MPlayer's Preferences. I assume there's still something wrong with the GraficsDriver and that's what is making the "Configure Driver" button continuously grey for everything that I highlight.

Regardless of this, I then ran gXine and it still does not play DVDs (it shows the same uniform blue screen that it always displays when I have selected 16 bit color in the intial setup, and when I select 24 bit color, it always displays black instead), and it always freezes the time display after a few seconds and does nothing more (but I hear the sound start OK). I did go into the Configure Preferences, set the level to Expert, and then set Video to xv and clicked save and close and restarted gXine, but gXine just gives me the blue or black screen with DVDs then freezes the time display again and again as before (even with the r300 successfully installed after a reboot).

Since you indicated that the r300 would be preferred for my 9500 to the ATI driver, that's what I did; but I'm going to try the ATI driver now after I post this intial result since the r300 didn't seem to do resolve the issues with my video display in both MPlayer and gXine (BTW, I assume, but am not sure, that there should be no negative interaction between my having installed the r300 first and the ATI second) and then I will reboot and see what happens.

Again, I want to emphaisize the this ATI Radeon 9500 Pro is a great working card in Windows and gives me no troubles with videos of any type or games of any type, so I just think we've got some kind of driver issue here. I will continue to explore drivers (mostly) by reburning fresh Puppy 2.12 ISO's again and again and setting up fresh video drivers (I'm afraid that there'll be some kind of accumulative interaction between drivers if I try to add driver upon driver, and this is why I tend to burn a fresh ISO CD as I try new drivers -- unless you indicate that I should add driver upon driver).

As a somewhat last resort, I shall go to my ATI Radeon 8500 and 9600 computers and see what happens with the r200 (for the 8500) and the r300 (for the 9600) and see if I get smoother videos with the 3DCC option (previously on these other computers, without the 3DCC, the videos of all types played just fine, but they were always fractured flickers in Puppy, but smooth as silk in Windows). After I try the rxx options on these other computers, I'll try the ATI-fglrx if rxx doesn't smooth things out, and then finally maybe the proprietary drivers offerred by ATI (as Gn2 encourages me). Now that I have 3DCC and more driver options, perhaps I'll finally get smooth video at some point in Puppy to compete with Windows.

Finally, I'll see what 2.13beta does with my 3 computers and the 3DCC group of drivers (I just downloaded the beta to try); so there's a lot to do still. I'll report back after I get time to try some of these combo's and I'll keep my eye out for your response, Mark, to this posting in case you (or anyone else) have other things for me to try (but at the moment, I think I've tried everything you've suggested in your last post -- and I thank you very much again!).
Last edited by withasong on Tue 26 Dec 2006, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#37 Post by MU »

concerning mplayer:
try this dotpup, it supports most video-options:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/Mplayer-1.0rc1/
You should use the "unichrome"-dotpup.

Options-screenshot:

X11 is a slow standard.
xv is an accellerated driver, but not working on my card with the fglrx-driver
OpenGL is the only fast mode with fglrx-driver on my system.

Maybe depending on the card, other settings are optimal.

---------
concerning the DRI-results:
run in a consolewindow:
/usr/local/3DCC/resource/xdriinfo

If you get a positive result, accelleration is enabled.
This does not automatically mean, that the 3D-demo will run fast, because that one also relies on other factors, like a correct OpenGL-library.
3DCC should set up everything right, but I can't guarantee that, as I just have 2 different Ati-cards for testing.

For further troubleshooting, you had to attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If the rxx-driver don't work, it is of course worth a try, to test the Ati-fglrx driver.

Mark

withasong

What a fast response! Thank you!

#38 Post by withasong »

Got your 1:22 pm post, Mark, and I shall try what you suggest before I try the ATI or any other drivers. I'm glad I checked this just now (whew)!

Thanks!

withasong

#39 Post by withasong »

Mark, I downloaded and installed the MPlayer version you mentioned. I allowed the install to overwrite the indicated files, and then I ran the new version. I went into Preferences and the video tab, and the screen looks just like the one you displayed in your last post (the Configure Driver button is grey and therefore inoperable even when an item is highlighted). I assume that I woud have to be able to click on the Configure Driver button to set up the driver, but the button is non-responsive.

I opened a console window, typed in what you said and here's a copy of the events:
sh-3.00# /usr/local/3DCC/resource/xdriinfo
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
Screen 0: not direct rendering capable.
sh-3.00#
Attached are the 2 files of which you spoke; however, I had to add the extension zip to them in order to attach them (but they are not zipped files; they are just SavedAs to another folder and then renamed with the zip extension added in order for them to be attached -- i.e., they are fake zip's).

One oddity I have noticed when I have checked these resource files previously is that my APG video card is sometimes listed as PCI in these files. I'm not sure why this is, since AGP boards will not plug into PCI slots (and the 9500 does not come in a PCI format, only in AGP that I'm aware of). Is this normal? (BTW, my 9500 PRO is an 8X capable board and my motherboard's AGP slot is 8X capable too.)
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.zip
(50.86 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
xorg.conf.zip
(6.54 KiB) Downloaded 571 times

MU

#40 Post by MU »

ok, the log contains this:
(II) RADEON(0): AGP card detected
[drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM
[dri] Disabling DRI.
So there is a problem with the Kernelmodule.
Did you install the Kernelmodules with 3DCC?
Do you have this file?:
/lib/modules/2.6.18.1/kernel/drivers/char/drm/radeon.ko

If yes, please type these comands in a consolewindow, and report what messages you get:

depmod
modprobe radeon

Mark