SlimBoat requirements

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
fuelish

SlimBoat requirements

#1 Post by fuelish »

This linux browser runs OOTB in slacko by clicking slimboat.sh in directory where downloaded (if it is executable). But I want to try it on other puppies using the same starting method. What supporting files or minimum kernel does it require? I do know it will not run in puppy 4.3.1 but I don’t know why and that is what I’m after. Thank you for helping.

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

I don't think it is so much about the kernel but it does require glibc version 2.11 or later which is why it won't run in Wary/Racy 5.5 (glibc version 2.10) without a work-around. You may be able to do the same thing in 4.3.1 but I haven't tried. You could try my package for Wary or otherwise let's see if someone else has done it in 4.3.1 already. http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

fuelish

#3 Post by fuelish »

@OscarTalks
I did try your package for wary. It works fine however wary is slow on the computer in question. That is why I am looking to get SlimBoat working in 431. What work around could I do to get this going on 431?

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

[deleted]

fuelish

#5 Post by fuelish »

@OscarTalks
No reply?

I guess Oscar is not talking.

I don't think I'll bump this too much.

OscarTalks

#6 Post by OscarTalks »

I didn't reply because unfortunately I don't have an answer for you. I have never really tried to do anything with 4.3.1 although I thought there were some other forum members that are 4.3.1 experts so I was hoping one of them might be able to help.

The SlimBoat devs told me that it is compiled in Ubuntu Lucid so anything earlier than that is always likely to be too old. All you can do is try the Wary package in 4.3.1 and if it doesn't work do the usual thing of running it from terminal and see if you can address any errors (by upgrading libs or whatever). Sorry I can't be of more help.
Oscar in England

Pelo

slimboat 1.11.44

#7 Post by Pelo »

all i can tell you is that i have slimboat 1.11.44, sfs loaded on the fly with Lucid 528 Moeppy. It seems some Qt libs are needed. but i cannot chceck dependancies with SFS

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

@OscarTalks -- trying to run SlimBoat in Precise 571 Retro, on my oooooooold Dell CPi. (Can post specs if needed.) I'm using the Wary5 package from the link you posted above.

It still complains about glibc being too low. Can you tell me what (if anything) I can do to fix that issue?

@ OP, others -- if I need to start my own thread for this, LMK and I will. I don't want to hijack a thread that's still in use!

OscarTalks

#9 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello starhawk,
The Wary5 package should only be used in Wary/Racy. It has its own internal glibc hack to version 2.11 (as in Lucid) but this will cause problems in Precise which has glibc 2.15
For Precise 5.7.1 you should just use the other standard SlimBoat package. I have tested it in the non-retro Precise but I don't think anything will be different if you are using the retro Precise.
Oscar in England

starhawk

#10 Post by starhawk »

Yep, that fixed it! Woohoo.

Pelo

Installed on MetroPuppy

#11 Post by Pelo »

I confirm that Slimboat has all what it need included. Installed on MetroPuppy (525 hu look like Windows) instead of old Firefox included.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 20 Apr 2016, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Slimboat loaded on the fly

#12 Post by Pelo »

Slimboat loaded on the fly with Pupjibaro Jessie 6.4.0.
No claim; just i would like to know which Qt libs are included in this nice browser. Why changing for SlimJet, much bigger ? No !
slimboat-1.1.54-i386.sfs: 21 M
We choose Slimboat because really Slim, and efficient enough for usual home needs (or school needs, ASRI EDU is satisfied with Slimboat, teachers and Pupils too).
Main topic 9 pages of useful information, click the blue I would precise that my education is over, i use slimboat for social network and you tube. No bugs, no prohibited access (some browsers still prohibit access to users less than 80 years old) :P
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 06 Mar 2017, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Enceladus

#13 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I agree it is sad that they stopped supporing SlimBoat. SlimJet is cool, and much better than Chrome in my opinion, but of course a lot bigger than SlimBoat, as you say. I guess dropping of SlimBoat has something to do with what 01micko said here.

Pelo

How to change to come back as usual, save image ?

#14 Post by Pelo »

I don't see the interest of last version, security should be explained better. I don't mind in fact. However, the last slimboat get me nervous, refusing to dowload only a picture, but full page !
How to change to come back as usual, save image ?

Pelo

just precise name and extension Jpg.

#15 Post by Pelo »

solution by Médor, our french Linux expert : just precise name and extension
Jpg.
Attachments
titre.jpg
plonger.jpg
(30.64 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
plonger.jpg
plonger.jpg to be written by hand
(9.03 KiB) Downloaded 120 times