The Legacy OS 2.1 LTS Community Project

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
infromthepound

#21 Post by infromthepound »

Hi All,
I have just had a laptop given. It's a Pentium 200, 32 meg RAM. HD, FDD and CD ROM
No Network or USB; it's running Win95
I thought it would be a good demo machine to show what can be done with old computers, and want to put Legacy 2 on it.
The problem is how?
The CD ROM does not show up in the BIOS and I can't boot from it, but shows up and runs OK in Win 95 (A bit odd to me)
Can anyone tell me how to install Legacy on this antique?
Thanks, John

labbe5

Pentium2

#22 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,

Once i had a second-hand Pentium 2 fitted with Windows 2000 (i didn't want to pay a lot), and even with this OS, the laptop was giving me headaches. It was frustratingly slow. I wish i knew Puppy back then, but i was ignorant about Linux alltogether, let alone Puppy.

If only i had Puppy installed, i wouldn't have thrown it in the garbage, because Puppy is reviving any agonisingly slow old computer fitted with a Windows OS.

Anyone having a computer that old should know and use Puppy, but no publicity is done about Linux, let alone Puppy. Only out of curiosity one is reading about Linux while browsing sites, and one has to get over a psychological barrier against an ingrained belief that personal computer IS Windows. Once i got over that barrier, because, first, my Windows XP crashed, and, secondly, because i was curious about computing and about Linux. Very few people are that curious. Most would prefer spend 500-plus dollars on a new computer with Windows 8, even knowing that there is an alternative out there called Linux, made by brillant people having at heart to offer good quality products and operating systems. That is the strenth of good marketing, which is what is lacking with Linux.

I have my parents using Windows 8 and 7, friends still using XP, none of them would ever think changing for Linux. Linux has a bad reputation. Maybe due to the learning curve, which is hardly anymore the case, with such distro as Ubuntu, and, by the way, the learning curve is as hard with Windows 8. It's just marketing, marketing, marketing.

So, there is less and less clunky laptops and 10-year-old second-hand computers out there, but they are still in offer in pawn shops here and there. Puppy, and legacyOS, is good for them, but is anyone knowing? Maybe some geeks, such as me, looking for something else, for more freedom from the all-reaching Windows. If private, Linux would have had much success, with tons of money thrown at people to buy the product. Anything is selling with good marketing.

Please keep up your good work, John. Success is not synonymous with big numbers. If you help even a few computer-literate keep his or her computer, instead of throwing it in the garbage, as i did, so much for nature and preservation of bio-diversity, and so bad for mining interests and industry.

Thanks.

Colonel Panic

#23 Post by Colonel Panic »

infromthepound wrote:Hi All,
I have just had a laptop given. It's a Pentium 200, 32 meg RAM. HD, FDD and CD ROM
I thought it would be a good demo machine to show what can be done with old computers, and want to put Legacy 2 on it.
The problem is how?
The CD ROM does not show up in the BIOS and I can't boot from it, but shows up and runs OK in Win 95 (A bit odd to me)
Thanks, John
Hi infromthepound,

I've run a different version of Linux, Basic Linux, on an even older computer than that (a Pentium 100 with 32 MB of RAM and no CD-ROM), so I know it can be done.

However, I think running Legacy on your machine would be a big ask - it normally requires 64 MB minimum. Maybe it could be done though if you had a big enough swap file. John Biles is the one to ask on this.

Failing that, there are one or two other versions of Puppy that I know of which you could try with a machine that old - Puppy 4.12 PULP and Puppy 4.20 Turbo Extreme.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

john biles

#24 Post by john biles »

Hello labbe5,
Thanks for your comments. Linux is great software and to me it's Windows users who through ignorance, lack of interest, free equals poor quality are the ones missing out.
Only those who seek knowledge, something different discover Linux and those are the people Linux is for.
We have a level of control over our computing lives the average Windows user will never experience. They live in fear of viruses and other nasties making their computers unusable requiring a trip to their local computer shop costing $$$$ to fix. They never learn or grow in knowledge resulting in more $$$$ trips. Computer shops love these guys. They provide an income where Linux doesn't. Because of this Computer shops hate Linux. It's bad for business.
Those who hate Linux and what it stands for say sooner or later Linux will be attacked by viruses and will become just like Windows, slowed down by anti this and anti that applications to fight these nasties.
What they forget is the person driving a Linux computer. They are in no way similar to their Windows counterparts. Though desire to know more a Linux user understands a lot more about how their computer works. They manager and care for it. The average Windows user treats their computer like an appliance.
We all seen laptops left running under blankets in beds by teenagers dying years before there time. Bad software install decisions, never once reading the small print.
These are not the choices the average Linux user makes.

Hello infromthepound,
200 Mhz CPU and 32Mb of Ram isn't going to lead to a successful pain free install of Legacy OS.
You need to find some more ram! at least 128Mb. Lets say you did find a way to install Legacy OS on your computer with only 32Mb of ram. The frst time you tried to surf the net all ram would be used just trying to display that webpage.

My advice is head down to your local op-shop or charity shop and see what they have lying around. I picked up 2 pentium 4 desktops with LCD monitors for $10.
Tell the man or lady that your wiling to pay $10 for any PC they would normally reject or throw in to the rubbish. If they say their not interested because you most likely won't come back say you'll pay them in advance.
I can tell you Legacy OS won't be an enjoyable experience on the computer you now have.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

starhawk

#25 Post by starhawk »

The problem is how?
Thanks, John
Pentium 200MHz = original Pentium aka Pentium 1 = 586 class, no CMOV. All of that to say... not worth it, you will have insane difficulty even finding a Pup that will boot on that. Even if you do, almost all built-in applications will probably not work. It's really not worth your trouble. I hate to say this, but that one's really best off being sent for recycling. Low-end Pentium III is probably the border between useful and not. (I have a Pentium II system that is too low power for Puppy; I'm working on a P3 laptop and when I get its fan replaced I'll know for sure if that's the boundary or not.)

A little guide post I put together for CPU stuff --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 064#772064

Colonel Panic

#26 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:
The problem is how?
Thanks, John
Pentium 200MHz = original Pentium aka Pentium 1 = 586 class, no CMOV. All of that to say... not worth it, you will have insane difficulty even finding a Pup that will boot on that. Even if you do, almost all built-in applications will probably not work. It's really not worth your trouble. I hate to say this, but that one's really best off being sent for recycling. Low-end Pentium III is probably the border between useful and not. (I have a Pentium II system that is too low power for Puppy; I'm working on a P3 laptop and when I get its fan replaced I'll know for sure if that's the boundary or not.)

A little guide post I put together for CPU stuff --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 064#772064
Maybe, but (and I admit I'm very reluctant to throw away a useable machine), it's possible that PULP or Turbo Extreme would work on it so I'd try those first.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

infromthepound

#27 Post by infromthepound »

Thanks for the help.
I was told yesterday that "It works on and off" Since it's only worked for me twice. I think it will go to heaven.
I have 2 more, one of which I also had given. It's running Zorin(Slowly)/Carolina/Magoo at the moment.
JB

James C

#28 Post by James C »

Still just humming along on this old P3........ I don't use this box everyday but when I do Legacy 2.1 just keeps on working.
Attachments
Legacy 2.1 LTS.jpg
(42.86 KiB) Downloaded 727 times

NotNewAnymore

OMG!!! What a find.

#29 Post by NotNewAnymore »

John,
Thanks for bringing this awesome OS for we simpletons. I got an Intel Celeron with 80GB hdd and 512 mb ram, originally win xp. It took it's toll and was about to go to landfill, but for some reason I just held on to it...for a very long time. Boy I am glad that I made that decision. Someone recommended Legacy OS and it's a gem of a machine now. Much much blessings from me. Will recommend this highly for all those guy's who are dumping their valuable machines.

- NotNewAnymore

NotNewAnymore

Can I make Skype work?

#30 Post by NotNewAnymore »

Hi,
Just a quick question. I tried to open Skype but for some reason it's not working. It opens up and all, but just doesnt connect to the Skype servers I guess. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me? I tried to see if I can install the new Skype (ver 4.x) but like expected it requires some dependencies met. Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

- NotNewAnymore

john biles

#31 Post by john biles »

Hello NotNewAnymore,
Sadly Skype 4 won't work in Legacy OS 2.1 the required newer dependencies aren't compatible. Only Version 1 works or did.
I knew sooner or later protocols in Skype would change and this may be the reason you can't connect, sorry!
Thanks
John

Colonel Panic

#32 Post by Colonel Panic »

john biles wrote:Hello NotNewAnymore,
Sadly Skype 4 won't work in Legacy OS 2.1 the required newer dependencies aren't compatible. Only Version 1 works or did.
I knew sooner or later protocols in Skype would change and this may be the reason you can't connect, sorry!
Thanks
John
Hi John,

You're right about Skype, and it is a shame. Here's an article outlining the changes which have taken place;

http://lowendmac.com/2014/skype-no-long ... r-systems/

john biles

#33 Post by john biles »

Hello Colonel Panic,
Thanks for the link. Microsoft is dumb because they've even dropped support for Windows XP and Windows 7 phone. This only alienates their own users driving them to Apple and Google's Voip type applications.
They're acting as if Skype is the only voip app available and in doing so are trying to force Windows users to buy new computers and phones. Yes they will but it might not be the ones Microsoft wants them to buy.

cthisbear

#34 Post by cthisbear »

John.

Registery hack for XP to still install updates.

Page 9 second post of my Fix Windows.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=120

Chris.

john biles

#35 Post by john biles »

Hello cthisbear,
An interesting post on Windows. Basically under all the crap lives a system that hasn't changed much between XP and 8 It makes sense when you see a Windows program that says it compatible with XP, Vista, Windows 7 & 8. There's not to many Linux Apps from 2001 that still run on current Distro's because Linux is ever evolving. Most long term Linux users have watched as Linux just keeps getting better and better with each new release. Windows just hasn't evolved as quickly maybe because any changes Microsoft make must remain compatible with the billions of programs already in use. Because Linux Apps and system files are updated in line with changes to the Linux kernel, the whole system marches forward. I'm sure there's Microsoft programmers who secretly wish they had the freedom Linux programmers do.

Mikrobi

report on installation

#36 Post by Mikrobi »

Hi to all !
Succesfull install on toshiba satellite 4300 (pIII 600mhz,256MB ram,savage mx gpu)
So far it's been only a few weeks, but looks it will be the best working puppy :-)
Already installed precise5_7_1, Tahr 6__0_2,Slacko but they re Very slooow.
Right now I'm fighting with Toshiba R100 which is cheap and good but has quite egzotic
1.8" pata drive, but mine was without it, so only boot is possible from Pcimcia reader with cf inside. Only precise and slacko started, but internet was quite slow, despite having 1.2GB of ram inside, but still was better than stock raspbian on Raspberry pi modelA 256 :-)
All best
Marek

john biles

#37 Post by john biles »

Hello Mikrobi,
Welcome to Legacy OS. You'll find lots of uses for your Pentium III. Just remember with only 600Mhz and 256Mb's of Ram HD video isn't going to play too well. A 700mb AVI Movie should hopefully play. I use a 500Mhz Pentium III with 192Mb's of Ram for the kids movies. AVI's play fine using 1024 x 768 ratio Monitor.
Also to connect by Ethernet click Applications > Setup > Wizard > Configure a Broadband / Network Connection and follow the instructions. Legacy OS doesn't automatically connect you to the internet you have to do it yourself. If you have Legacy OS installed to your hard drive you will only need to do this once.
Good Luck

Mikrobi

#38 Post by Mikrobi »

No worries about video :-)
h264 .mp4 movies downloaded from youtube are working fine in 640X360.
Problem is when you want to play them online. Under windows I was able to search for desired movie, then redirect url to smplayer and it worked in 360p, but it was few years ago.
I've also installed Legacy on usb in toshiba r200 small laptop. It works fine, and finds
onboard atheros wifi straigh away. Youtube via wifi was fluid, but opera likes to hang sometimes. I'm new to linux, so maybe it's because i dont have swap partition.
Back to tweaking :-)
All best
Marek

Mikrobi

#39 Post by Mikrobi »

Hi.
Today I've tried to boot legacy from usb-cd on toshiba R100.
syslinux started,next boot menu, but " when searching for puppy.sfs ... done"
apeared it stucked on " can't find puppy on device" , and then returned to init.gz.
Tried to copy main.sfs to usb pendrive, but ended in the same place, even with
pfix=usbflash , usbcard.
Any suggestions?
It is possible to boot, because precise5_7_1 starts from cf and loads main from usb pendrive.I would like to have faster puppy as precise is kinda slow...
All best

Mikrobi

#40 Post by Mikrobi »

Hi.Tried to boot legacy from usb-cd rom and it didn't work at all. So Toshiba r100 is not compatible.
all best