Puppy on chromebook

Booting, installing, newbie
bibzpu

Puppy on chromebook

#1 Post by bibzpu »

My only computer for the time being is an Acer C720 chromebook running xubuntu in developer mode

My favorite puppy version (Carolina namely) boots up and runs fine off of a usb flash drive except for two important issues.

No sound. No touchpad (a usb-connected mouse works though).

I have very little programming experience.

If anyone can even point in the direction of how to modify puppy to have sound and track movement on a recent chromebook, please post.

This puppyite misses the sound of the bark and the touch of the tail.

Bibzpu

ardvark

Re: Puppy on chromebook

#2 Post by ardvark »

bibzpu wrote:My only computer for the time being is an Acer C720 chromebook running xubuntu in developer mode

My favorite puppy version (Carolina namely) boots up and runs fine off of a usb flash drive except for two important issues.

No sound. No touchpad (a usb-connected mouse works though).

I have very little programming experience.

If anyone can even point in the direction of how to modify puppy to have sound and track movement on a recent chromebook, please post.

This puppyite misses the sound of the bark and the touch of the tail.

Bibzpu
Hi...

What is your audio chipset? Please open a terminal and post the output of...

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
Thanks! :)
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

pupmasu

usbstick install from a usbstick

#3 Post by pupmasu »

I have been doing installing and re-installing puppy from wary to Lucid and now the slackware version . By the way I believe the slackware version slacko 5.6 or 5.7 version runs very clean and very fast . I prefer using the netbook or notebook . When I had the net book I managed to make an updated version Lucid version (Polar?) The best aspect about Lucid ,especially the final version is that it is a resilient bounce back type of OPS . I consider it my fall back Puppy .

I installed the 1st version of 5,28 into a usbstick . This was a sandisk . MS put the screws on them so they no longer advertise that they can mount a Linux sys but they still can . I used the flash install method which mounts in vat32 . Though I like the ext3 install because I have had virtually no virus embeds at all .

At any rate when I did that I then use the pmount like the "Computer" in windows . I proceeded to move the initd ,cat grub files and vmlinuz original files into a new partition on another usb stick . Basically to one needs the six basic install files . These files look like archived files or (exe files in Windows) Because You are using Geany thru Puppy You can do this .

With the bios set correctly in your netbook ie Usb stick , cd , hard drive , then the net boot . What puppy does is look for the Main files after going to the saved files . In lucid it keeps going until it exhausts all possibility of any bootable code .

If you have the code in there you have to do a psearch for the files with Pmount files open . This makes it possible for Puppy to find them . This can be done from the Package Manager too . so if you install and it is not seen then it has to be mounted from the PMounter . The important aspect is that if you haven't told puppy what files are there it cannot load them .

Once you have accomplished this you shutdown Puppy with the usb installed and then restart from the beginning . Puppy will install then and you save as a normal Puppy save file (multisession) I don't do a full install untill I get a good bootable usbstick .

I think the Frugal install is the most efficient means . I am trying out the full install in my notebook as when my net book was stolen all my sticks were with it and I only had my original Lucid usb stick . This time I only had a notebook and no usb cd riter . so I had no choice . Now I use the full install so that I do not have to have the usb stick .

Using My Lucid 5.2.8.5 version ( always update ) I ran Puppy down loaded the 3 slacko versions and installed the SlackoPuppy on a new stick . The optimum Partitian size for this Puppy is 2 G . I use 4G size for an optimum size that has a swap file and room for other Packages . When puppy runs out of room it just stops loading whatever files you are loading , there's no warning .

If space is a concern take the Puppy Mg size find the square root of that number rounded up to the nearest whole number and multiply by 10 . Then triple that result and divide by 2 . That is the most basic amount of space that is needed . I find it needs that amount to function smoothly .

I use the GParted partitian manager for checking space requirements and the flagging . Your initial space that the Puppy is pasted in must be boot flagged .

I don't program as I am visually oriented . So I move blocks of code around . If you find something is not loading then this is because a file is not properly named and has the right descriptions (arguments) after the command . syntax is important so pay attention to the directions in the help they are accurate just hard to understand from a non programmers point of view .

I have booted & rebooted over 1500 times to test my suppositions so I haven't not-blundered into these situations . Sometimes I get stuck but Puppy always forgives . one time with Slacko when I was not able to boot-up with Grub4DOS . I kept working through it and discovered that part of the problem is in how the Partitions are labeled . I prefer the old Grubloader because it doesn't load empty files , the way Grub4DOS does . one thing it does do,is find bootable partitions which is a good thing to know with mounting problems .

The other problem is when started my notebook the BIOS drivers were not being loaded either . Even the windows 7 part wouldn't load . My Lucid Puppy saved me because of it resilient nature . It doesn't go quite as fast as Slacko but Slacko won't work if you screw up . Lucid always starts .

one last thing , Only use the stable code ; otherwise you don't know anything for certain . These founders, " Smokey et al" are solid . You won't find anyone better . All they ask is civility and clarity .

bibzpu

Audio chipset output

#4 Post by bibzpu »

user@chrubuntu:~$ lspci -nn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller [8086:0a04] (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0a06] (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:0a0c] (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB xHCI HC [8086:9c31] (rev 04)
00:15.0 DMA controller [0801]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP Low Power Sub-System DMA [8086:9c60] (rev 04)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP I2C Controller #0 [8086:9c61] (rev 04)
00:15.2 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP I2C Controller #1 [8086:9c62] (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HD Audio Controller [8086:9c20] (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:9c10] (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB EHCI #1 [8086:9c26] (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP LPC Controller [8086:9c45] (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] [8086:9c03] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SMBus Controller [8086:9c22] (rev 04)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP Thermal [8086:9c24] (rev 04)
01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0034] (rev 01)
user@chrubuntu:~$

gcmartin

Puppy Linux Chipset issues on Chromebook PC hardware

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Bibzpu
bibzpu wrote:user@chrubuntu:~$ lspci -nn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller [8086:0a04] (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0a06] (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:0a0c] (rev 09) ...
Wow! That is quite a machine you have, there.

I am not in any position to assist, as I have not purchased my Chromebook Touch, yet and have been recently torn between the new HP Chromebook with Internet for Life over 4G.

Over the past week, or so, I have read couple articles about running alternate OSes on the Chromebook hardwares(s). They each have expressed some minor issues and neither was very specific.

What they did have some success with, especially some Ubuntu verson(s), is the use of a feature which allow transparent side-by-side operation. I can see where this would offer a single advantage....ChromeOS has the drivers needed to connect the OS to all of the internal peripherals on your motherboard; thus allowing Ubuntu access to that very same hardware seamlessly.

I know this may not be what you would want for native PUP only operations, but should you find that there are no kernel up to date enough to drive your motherboard, that may be a secondary option to provide the best of both worlds. And, judging from some accounts, your Haswell architecture is up to the task of meeting your needs.

Here to help

ardvark

#6 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Does trying another version of Puppy, such as Slacko 5.6 or Precise 5.7.1 solve this problem?

Regards...

bibzpu

Benson Leung's patches

#7 Post by bibzpu »

I'm wondering if Benson Leung's patches would be useful.

https://patchwork.kernel.org/bundle/ble ... d-haswell/

bibzpu

Is there a code or programming brain in the house?

#8 Post by bibzpu »

Ardvark, no puppy has the patch for chromebooks as far as I know.

https://patchwork.kernel.org/bundle/ble ... romebooks/ is Benson Leung's link for patches to the c720 and other chromebooks. Benson was kind enough to send me the link.

The acer c720 chromebook is the best, IMO, because of price ($199 US) and latest intel processor called Haswell, albeit the most economical one.

To see where I'm coming from, check out my humble website: c720club.weebly.com

My problem is that I don't know code and programming.

Last time I programmed was with BASIC in the early 1980's.

The ability to use puppies on cheap and fast chromebooks would be a revolutionary breakthrough, IMO.

I'm a distro hopper and I've yet to see any linux distro that comes even close to puppy distros, especially Puppy Carolina (my current favorite).

rokytnji

#9 Post by rokytnji »

Don't know if I am posting to supply info or just subscribing to the thread.
I have a Acer C710 with 4gig of ram myself.

The sound and Touchpad issue is a kernel issue for these netbooks.

Bohdi and Fatdog have addressed these issues. I am a Carolina 1.2 user also on my
IBM M57 Tower Computer so I know what ya mean.

My research so far on mine.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 457-36036/

bibzpu

Thanks rokytnji

#10 Post by bibzpu »

Good info, rokytnji. Your link is good too. Thanks!

I didn't know fatdog was addressing the issue. I'll check that out.

Bodhi for chromebook is alright but nothing beats Puppy IMO.

Keep posting here when you come up with more ideas.

Have a nice weekend.

gcmartin

#11 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Bibzpu
You can find the FATDOG-ACER discussion here. Also check your PM, too.

Here to help

bibzpu

Thanks gcmartin

#12 Post by bibzpu »

Thanks gcmartin. 8)

bibzpu

Update

#13 Post by bibzpu »

Well, I've successfully using Xubuntu tailored for the Acer C720 chromebook with full installation on the SSD.

Kudos to HugeGreenBug (Hugh Greenberg) for his website and his personal work for C720-compatible Linux distros.

Still, I miss Puppy Carolina.

I don't understand why the laptop manufacturers don't make laptops similar in specs to Chromebooks - including price - that come with any free Linux distro installed and that allow for easily installing alternative Linux distros.

Oh well.

ardvark

Re: Update

#14 Post by ardvark »

bibzpu wrote:I don't understand why the laptop manufacturers don't make laptops similar in specs to Chromebooks - including price - that come with any free Linux distro installed and that allow for easily installing alternative Linux distros.
Hi...

I think profit margins (or a lack of) and Microsoft policies towards OEM's account for a lot of it. :(

Regards...

Burn_IT

#15 Post by Burn_IT »

Because Microsoft won't supply the keys to the BIOS unless they pre-install Windows.???
Because MS actually pay the makers to pre-install it then charge the users to activate it??
Because MS subsidise the manufacture if Windows is installed?

take your pick or supply your own....
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mekalu2k4

is this issue resolved?

#16 Post by mekalu2k4 »

rokytnji wrote:Don't know if I am posting to supply info or just subscribing to the thread.
I have a Acer C710 with 4gig of ram myself.

The sound and Touchpad issue is a kernel issue for these netbooks.

Bohdi and Fatdog have addressed these issues. I am a Carolina 1.2 user also on my
IBM M57 Tower Computer so I know what ya mean.

My research so far on mine.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 457-36036/

is it possible to use acer c-710-2834 with puppy 5.7? one of my neighbors ordered a cheap acer-c710-2834/4gb ram/16gb ssd/celeron 1007u] at 90bucks. He is hoping to replace chrome os with any distro of linux.

any advice?

grgc61

Good News

#17 Post by grgc61 »

The good news is that Linux adapts. For those of us beating our heads against the wall, looking for a Linux solution that doesn't exist and we don't have the skills to create yet, lts just a matter of time.

I own a Chromebook owner because a financial disaster has left everything else out of my price range. When I feel the pain of the limitations, I remind myself, "It is a cool project".

Thanks in advance for all your hardwork.

rokytnji

#18 Post by rokytnji »

is it possible to use acer c-710-2834 with puppy 5.7?
Probably with a usb external mouse. Wifi should be OK. Can't speak for sound.
He is hoping to replace chrome os with any distro of linux.
My recommendation is to go with any distro with a 3.19 kernel.
64bit or 32 bit won't matter that much with the 4 gig of ram IMO.

Bohdi seems to be the go to linux distro since the developer configured the kernel just for Chromebook hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpjTzav3kw

Just use the above video for a later Ubuntu. Make a recovery usb 1st. I bricked mine on the 1st try but I fixed it later on.

wboz

#19 Post by wboz »

I don't know the C710 (I have one) will be easy to use with Puppy. I don't think it has seabios, which, I think means no USB booting.

If you want to run Linux I'd recommend Crouton instead.

The C710 has a very plucky Celeron 847 in it but it's a generation behind the C720 1037 and underclocked. (When you feel how hot the bottom gets, you'll know why). Single core and will churn through whatever you need; don't expect miracles. But my c710 is like reliable old hound - not the fanciest tool out there, but the one you turn to when you have a simple job you need done right.

I would recommend Lubuntu just to reduce the load. Also, that computer will run FAR better with 4 GB of RAM and you CAN upgrade the c710 ... only a single screw to access :D

jakfish

#20 Post by jakfish »

As much as I would've love to run a puppy on my Acer C720, I ended up going with Bodhi 2.4. My warranty expired last month, and I installed, and donated to, John Lewis' custom BIOS, which blows away the ChromeOS completely, and boot to Bodhi, or whatever your Linux flavor, in record time.

Such a venture will void your warranty, so buyer beware and all that.

Jake