How to scan an A4 document with my HP PSC1200? [SOLVED]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
NETTKNUT

How to scan an A4 document with my HP PSC1200? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by NETTKNUT »

I want to use the SCAN option on my HP PSC1200for the first time to scan a standard A4 b/w document but haven't a clue on how to do this. Firstly, can I do this without a colour cartridge in place? If so, can someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks.
Last edited by NETTKNUT on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

ardvark

Re: hppsc1200

#2 Post by ardvark »

NETTKNUT wrote:Firstly, can I do this without a colour cartridge in place? If so, can someone please tell me how to do this?
Hi...

I wouldn't think a color cartridge would be required but I can't tell you absolutely 100% for sure. You would need to try it. :wink:

You can find some initial information concerning scanning with Puppy here. If I remember correctly, there's a scanning utility already included with Puppy but I don't remember what it is or where it's at in the Menu. You might need to install the appropriate HPLIP drivers for your scanner to work.

If you would like to try a paid program (free trial) that might offer more features, this program might work in Puppy but I don't know for sure, I've never tried it with Linux, only Windows.

Others members might be able to tell you more. :)

Hope this helps...

peterw

Scanning

#3 Post by peterw »

Hi NETTKNUT

Puppy scans fine. With my Puppy it is under the Graphic heading. HP also supports Linux well and their support page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... uct=240978
has a Linux option. I would guess that your Puppy already has the necessary software to use your machine.

However, in the past, I have had printer/scanners where the manufactures have made their machines need full cartridges before they would scan! How daft is that? I have been so frustrated by it. It is a feature that is not stated on the machine specs and is intended to make you buy more of their expensive cartridges. I now use an old separate scanner and laser printer. In the long run this has proved more reliable, less frustrating and more reliable. And probably cheaper since there are no cartridges to "dry up" or are to old which again makes the printer scanner stop scanning. I don't know if this applies to your machine and only another user of the model or even HP themselves could tell you. It is a case of suck it and see. You could try it on a Windows machine or an Ubuntu installation to check if it will scan on them.

Best of luck
peterw

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

@ardvark and peterm: Instead of sending NETTKNUT off-site for information, why not direct him to a resource that is a whole lot closer?

peterw

Scanning

#5 Post by peterw »

Hi rcrsn51

Perhaps, I did not express myself well enough. The logic of my response was:

To give, in a gentle way, the news NETTKNUT does not really want to hear: that in all probability his printer scanner needed a working colour cartridge to enable to scan.

And to then give him my arguments for this:

1. Puppy has the programmes to scan under Graphic. And that HP already have given Linux the means to use its printers/scanners; and that his Puppy, most likely, already had them incorporated.

2. Some manufactures design their products software so that lack of ink in a cartridge or lack of a cartridge makes the printer scanner stop working.

3. If he wanted to try his printer scanner on other systems he could to verify my thoughts. And to show that it it is not a Puppy problem.

Another way he could go is to get a set of refilled cartridges. In the UK they can be obtained for about £13.

peterw

ardvark

#6 Post by ardvark »

rcrsn51 wrote:@ardvark and peterm: Instead of sending NETTKNUT off-site for information, why not direct him to a resource that is a whole lot closer?
How do you mean? What resource are you referring to? The first link I gave the OP was to Puppy's scanner page. :wink:

Regards...

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

@NETTKNUT: Please read "How to Install your Printer/Scanner in Puppy". It is the first post at the top of this section.

It has information about HP scanner drivers that are known to support your model. It also discusses the scanner programs that are available in Puppy.

What Puppy version are you using?

Is this the first time you have installed a scanner in Puppy? Or are you specifically asking about the unit's own SCAN button? This feature does not work in Puppy - you must run a scanning program from your Puppy machine, like Xsane or Peasyscan.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

@NETTKNUT: No reply?

NETTKNUT

hppsc1200

#9 Post by NETTKNUT »

Thanks to all who replied. My sincere apologies for not replying sooner but I have been under the weather for some time now so I am unable to use my machine that much. As rcrsn51indicated the answer was in the first posting by ardvark this gave me a link to PEASYSCAN which I downloaded as a PET. The installation went quite straightforwardly on TAHRPUP 6. My machine started scanning right away and hey! presto! I saved and printed a copy right away.. Nothing could have been easier; so I was delighted. Much easier and quicker than doing it with my printer under Windows. This was the first time for me to install a scanner under PUPPY. I did not explain in my original posting but I am running my printer as a b/w only machine so do not need a colour cartridge. Sorry, if this may have led some of you on the wrong track.

ardvark

Re: hppsc1200

#10 Post by ardvark »

NETTKNUT wrote:As rcrsn51indicated the answer was in the first posting by ardvark this gave me a link to PEASYSCAN which I downloaded as a PET. The installation went quite straightforwardly on TAHRPUP 6. My machine started scanning right away and hey! presto! I saved and printed a copy right away.. Nothing could have been easier; so I was delighted. Much easier and quicker than doing it with my printer under Windows. This was the first time for me to install a scanner under PUPPY. I did not explain in my original posting but I am running my printer as a b/w only machine so do not need a colour cartridge. Sorry, if this may have led some of you on the wrong track.
Cool, I'm glad it worked! :)

If you would, please mark this thread as "SOLVED" by editing the subject line of your first post.

Thanks! :)