grub4dos: configure and run GRUB from winxp win2k

Using applications, configuring, problems

#1 Post by Guest »

http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/

Just used this to boot puppy on my win2k machine...dosen't mess with the harddisks (mbr) and has a windows config\setup program.....

I think there may have been a thread similar to this in beginners, it may have mentioned knoppix poor mans install.....

Which is great as this machine (laptop) doesn't have a cdrom....I used winimage to extract the files from the iso image[/url]

raffy

Thread by DrJ

#2 Post by raffy »

DrJ started a thread on that

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1058

Will this approach be a lot different?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Raffy, thanks for the link to the prior post. It should be very helpful to beginners.

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Flash and others who care.

I wanted to read about using grub4dos but the link that says the puppy description is on fails

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1058

is it possible to restore it in any way or to copy the info from a waybackmachine cache?

And the FAQ or How to's lack tips on how to on Vista? That is the machine I need to do it on. I already have it on the old XP machine and know how to there.

I feel very unsure of how to on the Vista.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

JustGreg

#5 Post by JustGreg »

There is a "how to" on Grub4Dos due by the author Barbubo. It is located at: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39499

It discusses XP and Vista. I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Maybe I can use it anyway but he doesn't really talk about a frugal install.
1. Defrag your HD in Vista or XP (you should be doing this anyway!).
2. For Vista use the partition tool in Vista to create a new partition.
to create a new partition is not something you need to do in a frugal frugal install.

The word frugal is used in many ways. this is just one example of when it means frugal on another partition then the host OS and host partition.

So one need a word that says that one let the two OS coexist on same partition but that the grub4dos knows how to boot them and them to save in their own ways maybe on the ntfs partition that takes up all available space.

but I read the rest of it now.

Heheheh, he recommend the program others here told me to not use.
1. Download Neosmart's EasyBCD (free) to manage the Vista boot process because Vista doesn't use boot.ini. You can run it from Vista (or XP if already dual-booted).
2. Follow EasyBCD's instructions for adding a Linux system. Neosmart uses grub4dos internally.

I try to follow it and report back if if succeeded.

Thanks indeed for caring about me.

Rupp

#7 Post by Rupp »

n/t
Last edited by Rupp on Mon 05 Apr 2010, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

Rupp, are you really sure?

that one is clearly for WinXP and I have Win Vista, a totally other beast.
Not comparable at all.

I have already some 5 different linux frugal install on my old XP machine so I know how to do that but not on my Vista. they use another way to do it.

One can not follow that advice as far as I know.

Can you show me your vista machine then? In order of action what di you do first? Which tool did you use and what command?

remember I make no re-sizing and no partition and the Vista partition is the one after the recovery OEM install partition so one need to know how to avoid writing to that one.

for a noob that is not easy at all.

mill0001

#9 Post by mill0001 »

Try UNetbootin.

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

Yes that I did but I told on another thread what did happen then.

too long story to retell here now.

And I realize that I should not write here because it says.

and I want a wiki on how to do it step for step in WinVista
that a noob can understand exactly what step to do next and how one do those steps.

I guess only a collaborative combination of an expert and a noob can write such a thing because the expert have no knowledge of how a noob fail to get what the expert says. To them things are already clear while the noob don't know what those words means.

UNetbootin.

Yes I have written to the developer of that program because it locked itself from being reused on my vista computer when I used it so it is impossible to use if one later want to use it for doing work on USB mem pins which I want to do.

so I want either Grub4Dos or EasyBCD with NeoGrub or Plop boot program instructions step for step in easy language.

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Tried first to use Macpup to install macpup on a usb memory but it expected the iso to be on a CD so as a noob I looked and clicked and tested and it was impossible to make the thing install itself. One need to have done it before to know how to find the files.

then I downloaded the wingrub and tried that one and it was ten times or impoosible to know what to do. Have no clue.

while on EasyBCD it at least do tell a lot one can do which one barely get but feel unsure of.

wingrub totally alien, nothing that made any sense.

Guys this is much more complicated than what I could read from your suggestions to just do things. One have to know what one are expected to do.

Has nobody told a step for step that is easy to follow?

I need to boot as many linux as possible from HDD without partitioning and using frugal install on hdd and not overwriting the Vista thing.

wubi seems to have that capacity and later one can use EasyBCD to add a trippleboot on the wubi menu.lst

But wubi seems to not work with Linux Mint does it? That is the one I want.

I maybe can accept ubuntu remix from ubuntu.se if nothing else works.
if that is the only way to get it going with dual boot again.