Exploit Kits: A Fast Growing Threat

For discussions about security.
labbe5

Exploit Kits: A Fast Growing Threat

#1 Post by labbe5 »

When we talk to people that have been infected, they often ask how it happened. In a growing number of cases, they have been doing nothing more than reading a news website or browsing for some online shopping. They haven’t clicked a bad link, visited a risky website or installed anything strange. However, next thing they know their credit card details have been stolen, Facebook account hijacked or the pictures on their laptop are being held to ransom.

For further reading about Exploit Kits :

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/exploits- ... ng-threat/

Tools available to mitigate this threat :

To fend off attacks from Exploit Kits there are some simple but yet effective measures anyone can take. By keeping your computer up-to-date you drastically cut the chances for any exploits to work because all known vulnerabilities have been patched.

For the security conscious, using browser add-ons that block Flash or disable scripts is also an effective way of thwarting most malicious redirections although it makes the browsing experience less enjoyable.

NoScript Security Suite, a Firefox plugin, is the tool of choice to disable scripts. And Flashblock is the tool of choice to block flash content. A button allows us to activate flash to see content.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

notice the catalogue of exploited software... same list thats been around for years so seems nothing new just a consolidation of existing exploits.

If you can produce some figures of exploits relating to linux machines then I am sure that would be of interest to users here.
Generalisations and vague references are of little use.

mike

rufwoof

#3 Post by rufwoof »

The articles inference is that such vulnerabilities and exploits are prolific. Can you point me to any as I'd like to be exposed to any type of such exploits out of interest - just to see what does get changed/installed ('payload').

As I ram boot puppy from a read only base and don't use a savefile the infection would persist (in memory) just for the single session, whilst pup_rw would provide some clues as to exactly what was installed/changed - and maybe a indicator of where the payload was feeding to.