xombrero 1.4.0

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
666philb

xombrero 1.4.0

#1 Post by 666philb »

xombrero is a minimalist web browser with sophisticated security features designed-in, rather than through an add-on after-the-fact. In particular, it provides both persistent and per-session controls for scripts and cookies, making it easy to thwart tracking and scripting attacks.

In additional to providing a familiar mouse-based interface like other web browsers, it offers a set of vi-like keyboard commands for users who prefer to keep their hands on their keyboard.

The default settings provide a secure environment. With simple keyboard commands, the user can "whitelist" specific sites, allowing cookies and scripts from those sites.

It is ISC licensed.

website https://opensource.conformal.com/wiki/xombrero
check out the tutorial and the navigation commands

only tested on precise
pet here http://wuala.com/666philb/Documents/xombrero-1.4.0.pet/ 15.1mb
MD5 8d9c1e44a54d53862317e515df630da0

enjoy
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

oui

#2 Post by oui »

Hi philb

It is probably one of the most interessting browsers!

but:

a. difficult to add start page (best would be the page :fav !)
b. difficult to add links to HTML-pages on the own HD
c. ebay breaks (in my case)
d. difficult to activate the full and most actual libflashplayer
e. difficult to adtivate java (official town maps! impossible to ask the town don't to use java!)

and the size of the package, 15 Mb, is not really light.

but I use Xombrero daily because I am sad from browser with commercial impulses like mozilla'a, chrome, opera etc. and I sm sad that mozilla registry a lot of informations on me without good possibility to remove of them I don't like to be recorded...

oui

problem using xombrero in tahr pup 6.0 build in Oct. 2014

#3 Post by oui »

I did add the missing dependencies an get following error message

(the actual Debian rel. in jessie / sid would be 1.6.3)
Attachments
xombrero.jpg
(26.97 KiB) Downloaded 1511 times

oui

#4 Post by oui »

oui

#5 Post by oui »

new message from 666philb conc. xombrero:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 849#829849

Pelo

Pet not more available ?

#6 Post by Pelo »

Links (defender Medor) vs Xombrero (defender OUI, and myself) . That would have been the day of the final debate, but i don't succeed in loading the pet (with links)
666philb, puppy browser fails too, wuala seems unreacheable

oui

#7 Post by oui »

Médor wrote:@ Oui :

Comme déjà mentionné :
http://vpnactu.com/regarder-tour-d-espagne/ :
Voici des chaines TV internationales pour regarder Tour d’Espagne en direct sur Internet.
La plupart de ces chaines nécessitent de se trouver dans le même pays que la chaine TV, ou de posséder une adresse IP dans ce même pays. Si c’est le cas et que voulez voir la chaine TV il suffit d’utiliser un service VPN qui permet de choisir son adresse IP très facilement.
http://tv5.ca/ ne semble pas avoir de limitation territorial puisque ça fonctionne depuis la France (capture précédente de Thalassa sous Slaxen avec Chromium équipé du pepper flash).
À voir ce que donne : http://tv5.ca/journal-de-france-2.

Quant à xombrero, une fois toutes ses dépendances satisfaites (webkit entre autres) l'ensemble devient aussi lourd que les navigateurs haut de gamme ...
Je l'ai testé et abandonné quasiment dans la foulé car merci les raccourcis claviers à moins d'être maso ou de le devenir ;)

Pour revenir à l'objet de ce fil :
Si vous tenez à utiliser freetuxtv et vlc voir les paquets et dépendances éventuelles sur ce fil de robwoj44
HAL n'est pas nécessaire (ni QT...) et les paquets fonctionnent à partir de Racy-5.5.
Voir aussi le lien vers les sources de freetuxtv dont les derniers commentaires concernant sa compilation.

Cordialement,
Médor.
why is xombrero as heavy in Puppy and so light in Slitaz, that would be the question... in SliTaz funz xombrero perfectly (is only an extension in the size of about 200 kB for SliTaz or SliTaz64; SliTaz64 is NOT a full 64-version at all but a mainly only-64-bit-linux-kernel with 32 bit app's so that slitaz64 is absolutely as complete as the simple x86 release; this was also possible in the initial fatdog64: it was possible to add about each x86-pet... today, you have great difficulties to complete our 64 bit releases with extra applications being easy to find for 32 bit puplets as kde app's, qt app's like marble, rosegarden, etc., py app's like gramps, etc...).

Yes, I know that SliTaz includes in it's 40-MB-Size already webkit, why not (each Puppy- or SliTaz-like distribution includes a reasonable browser!) als well as TazWeb and Midori?

But it can not be a reasonable explication:

40-MB+ab.20 kB (for xombrero) are not the end size of xombrero (médor dixit: «Quant à xombrero, une fois toutes ses dépendances satisfaites») but the complete size of SliTaz...
...including 3 browsers and all the SliTaz core stuff and tools and the complete things for 4 languages as SliTaz did be born in 4 languages as it came from Switzerland :idea: so I think that xombrero can't be as big in a really minimized implementation (SliTaz is NOT completely minimized as it always offers for the most app's 4 complete language needing NO dotpet to use one of them :roll: ; that happens really only in Puppy...)!

The problem of Puppy is to minimize only the core part and not deeply any more; in Arabic, we would probably give today at Puppy better the name El Efanty :x ...

In SliTaz xombrero works using

- toolbar
- flashplayer.so
- hunspell dictionaries (use please the /root/.xombrero.conf ! Is NOT included in the installations but can be easily added!)
- okular, gvim, viewer as you like (I prefer mplayer2, or, in Puppy, Smplayer from the KDE suite from Jejjy; thank you again Jejjy for this pretty dotsfs! Sorry, that it does not exist in 64 bit) and other external app's for a comfortable use of different data formats
- remembers some entries (esp. the user names for ex. for this forum)
- has good favorites
- can manage html-files being on the own harddisk using the pre installed extended localhost (add link to some directories containing html files into the subdir /var/web :wink: it is all was is to do :roll: )

- or can work without toolbar according to Vi-code (useful in videoapp's; you can also command some start parameters of the xombrero window in
/root/.xombrero.conf !)

and xombrero will be extremely fast and secure, more secure as all other browsers as the state "secure" is the default value (without any add) and has not to be reached by artifices (plugins etc.)

and you can look the html code etc. about as in Seamonkey. sites accepting Seamonkey accept Xombrero generally without any difference or restriction!

I am sorry dear Médor, I don't understand your argumentation...

note: I am actually writing out my Xombrero installation in my own minimal full install from Debian Jessie. All that is also possible except one, the opening of html doc's beeing on my HD as Debian as not such a well developed and ready to use for the user pre installed localhost as SliTaz. No surprise: SliTaz need that for it really wonderful web oriented TazPanel where all the settings are centralized in marvellous kind: That is a real development compared with an only-remastered puplet :wink: exchanging seamonkey against firefox or back :roll: !

Pelo

xombrero,par Pupjibaro Jessie (argentina)

#8 Post by Pelo »

xombrero: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.48: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I was browsing with Slimboat but it only dowload full page, not only image. That is why i try xombrero again, the browser that Oui prefers.Slimboat previous version was without trouble for user. I hope xombrero is easy to use, sometimes messages use terms that even in french i would not understand.
Object is shared but not opened ? How do you open it ?

oui

#9 Post by oui »

Because of that answer of 666philb in his main following thread on Xenialpup64:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&start=28

explaining:
xombrero is a browser that most people will hate
I don't agree with that idea at all: Xombrero is the most impressing browser at all because it it is delivered

secure

without to have to really use some quality and commodity!

to test it again before I write this message, I did reinstall Slitaz64, the fresh actual version from 3th July 2016.

and I will relate my experience on it here.

oui

#10 Post by oui »

so, I did reinstall (it already old on the harddisk) SliTaz completely fresh (out SliTaz itself, started frugal like Puppy!), it is extremly easy to do that in command line :idea:

all what you need is on the next picture (arrange the windows so on your screen!):

- red: 1 Pt. SliTaz menu , 2 Pts System Tools, 3 Pts mount the partition, 4 Pts: erase the old install :roll: , two steps only...

- blue 1 Pt: in TazWeb hit on the Google search function, 2 Pts search for "installation" (will be done within all the SliTaz ressources), 3 Pts, hit on this link: "uncommon installations" (a VERY interesting SliTaz documentation's page: condensed knowledge on unusual ways to install Linux!)

- green: out this page - 1 Pt "mount the iso correctly", 2 Pts unpack Linux on the partition (SliTaz way)

- yellow: same two last items, really, in Sakura, adapted to the situation!

With Sakura? Because, you don't need some, or only a few, writing: mark and copy with right hit on the mouse into the most evolued terminal Sakura :idea: (reduced risk of writing errors :wink: !)

you need only 5 minutes to do that!

Attachments
installationS.jpg
(55.93 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
Last edited by oui on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#11 Post by oui »

you can now restart.

I hope X comes immediately after the new start :roll: !

if not, 2 situations:

CASE A: the command line box starts...

CASE B: X starts wrong (screen become fine, on the left top corner, you find the cursor): in this case, you have to return to the command line box hitting CTRL+ALT+BCKSPACE a few times: the command line box appears but turns back to X a few time and, after one or more such interruptions, and finally stays stable in the command line box.

Code: Select all

tazx
do the 2 steps need to reinstall X completely need, and, this time, full (it was the problem: X was aptemted to be started with a light module, Vesa, and your PC doesn't accept it!)

startx
you are now in the new SliTaz installation in X!

(same view as in the precedent message!)

Last edited by oui on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#12 Post by oui »

now, open Sakura (this time in the fresh full installation - see pls above the view, item next to the 2 red pts!)

If you did need (as I need) to upgrade xorg, the packages list did be actualized.

if not, do:

tazpkg recharge
and after that

tazpkg getinstall xombrero
tazpkg install both

- xombrero 191 kB (only :roll: as webkit is on the system for Tazweb!)

as well as is only one dependencie over webkit (needed in SliTaz, SliTaz64 is actually only 50 MB "fat" and SliTaz rolling less than that!) and TazWeb plus Midori:

- libbsd 21 kB

ridicoulus sizes really compared with the installation of one SECURE browser more in each other Linux :idea: :roll:

xombrero can now be acceded by the menu under "Applications/Internet", last item now!

start it once (uggly) and leave immediately

restart now and you will see a full operable and beautifull browser "and absolutely not that what people will hate", see following 2 pictures "1st start", uggly, and "next starts", comfortable, side on side :lol: !

Attachments
ugglyBeautifulS.jpg
(25.53 KiB) Downloaded 719 times
Last edited by oui on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#13 Post by oui »

last steps proposal:

tazpkg -gi flash-plugin

get-flash-plugin

and perhaps

tazpkg -gi javajre

you are immediately ready for best surfing in Xombrero, not to hate it :roll:

(test http://france2.fr/jt/20h , a site often extremly to receive properly on Puppy linux, or, more, Ubuntu!)

Attachments
PerfektRunningFlashplugin.jpg
(51.05 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
Last edited by oui on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#14 Post by oui »

you can now check if hunspell is installed and add a lot of hunspell dic's (you have to register your choice in ~/xombrero.conf and eventually create it before that (attention! your choices in that config file are highly sensitive!). More than one dictionary will be accepted but the small browser / hunspell don't recognize, of course, which language as to be considered: the word exist or not in one selected tongue! You don't need all lines of the samples on the web! But you have to respect some order instructions... read pls the help comments in the sample file!) etc.

If you hat Xombrero

you use Xombrero wrong...

Xombrero neve need some actualisation or extremly rarely:

it is naturally SECURE!

Finish the drama with the permanent actualizations of some Mozilla :roll:

Finish the growing and growing more hidden directories of some Mozilla :idea:

Finish the risk in Mozilla, some one can copy all you Mozilla data copying only that directory on some USB stick or malware through the web 8) !!!

oui

#15 Post by oui »

text samples for grub.cfg to start SliTaz

a/ frugal on my (sda6, my big partition, all my stuff is in it excepted sda1=reactOS, sda2=freeDOS, sda3 is the extended, sd4=SWAP):
menuentry "slitaz frugal sda6" {
set root=(hd0,6)
linux /0slitaz/bzImage64 root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet
initrd /0slitaz/rootfs.gz
}
b/ 2 step, full installed on sda5 (my CHROOT partition)
menuentry "Slitaz" {
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /bzImage64 root=/dev/sda5 vga=normal
}
yes, it's enough...

(grub2 = grubPC is in the SliTaz depository if you want to use it)

Pelo

waiting we succeed to download it. OUI does a speech

#16 Post by Pelo »

Oui talks. Oui, you can talk, waiting we succeed to download it.
How could we agree or disagree with you ? We trust you.
But i will not install Slitaz for minimalist browser Xombrero. I keep Puppy as OS.
However, once upon a time, i had Xombrero running in one of my puppies.
Yes, ToOpPy accepts xombrero, i am with it .Xombrero is better than elinks, no doubt, i can surf with it. They are trollitos on my screen, as Midori.
What is a trollito, it's smiley, but they are many, around the wwindows. Is Xombrero garbled too on the lapto of our german colleague OUI ?
Attachments
trollitos.jpg
Trollitos. Xombrero is fast, very fast.
(27.54 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

Robert123

#17 Post by Robert123 »

Mmmm says it needs GTK3 in a word yuck.:(
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

learnhow2code

#18 Post by learnhow2code »

Robert123 wrote:Mmmm says it needs GTK3 in a word yuck.:(
as someone with absolutely no love for gtk (as a library) i can tell you, this one is worth it.

it does like to crash a lot, but (unlike abiword) it crashes gracefully.

(ive never found a single less stable program than abiword, ever. not in puppy, not in any other distro. cern should put it in the lhc, it will probably tell them how unix was created.)

all browsers really do suck. dillo was (once) the second worst thing about puppy, imo. mozilla is pure hate these days, though i will take it over chrome. we need more webkit browsers. theyre going to need to be based on gtk3 or qt-- thats simply the fault of the gtk maintainers.

Robert123

#19 Post by Robert123 »

Hi Codes,

Do you like QT? - I prefer it.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

learnhow2code

#20 Post by learnhow2code »

Robert123 wrote:Do you like QT? - I prefer it.
i hate guis. actually i dont-- i hate CODING gui stuff. i also usually hate stuff that is gui-only. mtpaint is an incredible example of a gui app youd expect to be gui-only but isnt.

so where that comes in, is that coding in qt probably isnt that much fun. the more features a gui has, the less fun it is to code in, unless youre a particular kind of person. (and thats fine for you.)

OTHER THAN THAT i think qt is probably the very best. until webkit-qt is on similar footing with webkit-gtk and things like leafpad and gtkdialog are done with qt, qt isnt going to gain on gtk.

...except it could. i dont think that would be awful. these toolkits though, the closer they become to monopolies, the closer they become to useless after some clever CADT decides theyre the new usability expert-- exactly how we ended up with gtk3.

one of the reasons that qt is so good is that gnome is occupying the "arrogant b*str*d" slot. call it the planet of the apes hypothesis... if gnome wasnt around to screw up everything for us, qt would end up being run by the same sort of people.

i cant tell you how much i would like someone to find an actual way for me to be wrong about this.