kernel compiling in woof-ce

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
rufwoof

#81 Post by rufwoof »

Noob/unfamiliar - how do you know/how can you tell if zram is being used?

I've modprobe'd zram to activate the zram module as the first line in init, and then exec sbin/init and pup boots to desktop and works ok, but I've no idea how to see if its using zram or not.

System information and selecting kernel modules indicates that zram and lz4 compression are both installed.

Summary shows 210MB used and I know that the puppy uncompressed size is around twice that (399MB)

I've used non-layered file system, initrd and pupsfs files all dumped in together and just lz4 compressed those when creating the initrd.lz4, which comes out at around 200MB, but presumably when booted extracts/uncompresses into memory and without zram would presumably take up 399MB of ram, but with zram would presumably come out at around half that - which seems to be the case (210 MB indicated).

So my guess is that I'm running with zram active and working - but lack the knowledge of how to confirm such.

TIA.,

stemsee

#82 Post by stemsee »

I just compiled 3.18.7 32 pae and 64 bit kernels with lzo and lz4, natively supported by this kernel. Actually I thought that I had compiled in (not module) lz4 for previous kernel.

As for testing zram

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep zram
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Zram

rufwoof

#83 Post by rufwoof »

Thanks stemsee

zram working ok by the looks of it.

stemsee

#84 Post by stemsee »

cleaning is performed by typing

./ubuild.sh clean
or to run as is reusing resources unpacked kernel sources etc.

./ubuild.sh

Ghost Dog

#85 Post by Ghost Dog »

Did you have to do anything special to get 3.18.7 to compile? Because I'm trying to do that with the normal kernel kit and it's stopping with errors...
The Way of the Samurai

Q5sys

#86 Post by Q5sys »

Ghost Dog wrote:Did you have to do anything special to get 3.18.7 to compile? Because I'm trying to do that with the normal kernel kit and it's stopping with errors...
I was able to get it to compile 3.18.7 tonight without any errors. What error did you get? That'll help someone diagnose the problem.

Ghost Dog

#87 Post by Ghost Dog »

It's working now. The problem was that I had to change the config to 3.18.1+ for the aufs version. :oops:
The Way of the Samurai

stemsee

#88 Post by stemsee »

I will add another feature to update configs from manually configured .config files 'make menuconfig' updates. It will unpack the kernel apply patches then run 'make menuconfig' three times one for each DOTconfig file and save it to the relevant DOTconfig: 64, pae, nopae.

Also I tend to supply feature rich configs with too much firmware and too many drivers/modules which will not likely get used. I am going to look into making minimal compiles for those who like smaller packages. With a line of code to switch between sets of DOTconfig files.

stemsee

#89 Post by stemsee »

StemsUnKernKit-0.8

DOTconfigs have no kernel version info in their names.

Update DOTconfigs (64,pae,nopae) in series. At the first menu option input 888, then at configure kernel menu select option 2. Manual config for 64, then for pae, then for nopae, each successive .config will be copied from and back to the relevant DOTconfig in ../configs_extra/ . After all three have been updated the script will continue to compile 64bit kernel or enter 'Ctrl+c' to exit.
Attachments
sukk-0.8.tar.gz
(114.72 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

Q5sys

#90 Post by Q5sys »

Just curious... is there a reason you coded this script to ammend the date to the kernel sources SFS but not the kernel modules SFS?

stemsee

#91 Post by stemsee »

There is the original script by Iguleder and then 01micko, which I have altered. I added my own time stamp, there was already $TODAY, I didn't add it to modules.sfs because at the end of the script they are moved to a dir with $timestamp which goes to the minute and takes care of multiple compiles in one day without overwriting. If the kernel source.tar.bz2 or .sfs package is overwritten it doesn't matter, only the kernel version is important.

stemsee

#92 Post by stemsee »

Has anyone else noticed the strange events at www.kernel.org ???

Having completed the unattended kernel kit - the latest kernels are labelled thusly 3.19 and 4.0-rc1 ... The script can be tricked to accommodate then naming for kernel and aufs. But now it needs an update! Funny that! Sods law!

stemsee

#93 Post by stemsee »

Here is 4.0-rc1 kernel and modules. But no aufs. And I haven't tested yet because I don't have a full install to test it on. It should be ale to load a rufwuuf style virtual full install in initrd for boot to ram. Oh it is 64bit.

https://mega.nz/#!lBp3EJQR!521FnLuB1Cju ... LjuR3aVejA

stemsee

#94 Post by stemsee »

here is 3.19 with aufs, 64bit, tested. Verbose boot.

https://mega.nz/#!wUwVSJiI!SssrKaNw-sqX ... nhFhoyYEmY

peebee

#95 Post by peebee »

Hi Stemsee

I notice when I look inside your kernel-modules.sfs for 3.18.6-pae and 3.19 that they only have the /lib directory whereas the kernel packs produced by 666philb have lots of other directories.

Can I drop your kernels into woof-ce puppies like tahpup and slacko6beta just by renaming the kernel-modules.sfs appropriately - or is there more to do?

Grateful for any guidance you can supply.
Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

stemsee

#96 Post by stemsee »

Hi peebee

the /etc dir holds DOTconfig-kernel-version
the /boot dir holds system.map
/usr/include for headers
and /lib holds firmware and modules
/usr/sbin /bin for aufs related components.

I compiled them manually... I just dropped them in place, and they are running. I haven't tried compiling with them or running apps which depend specifically on those kernel headers. I can supply the patched sources.

stemsee

#97 Post by stemsee »

Linux founder, Linus Torvalds, explains the sudden move to 4.0

http://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-kern ... er-to-4-0/

Dry Falls

#98 Post by Dry Falls »

stemsee wrote:Has anyone else noticed the strange events at www.kernel.org ???
Yes. k3.18.7 identifies itself as 'Unicorn' which tells me kernel.org has partnered with redhat. In Lighthouse, k3.18.7 misses the hardware clock altogether at bootup, and when the desktop appears, it goes immediately into screen-saver mode. Then it starts to get interesting. This may not be your experience, but it's how it plays out on my machine. It's almost like the kernel expects a full installation and gets confused by the puppy layered architecture -- looking in the base file for something in the save file and vice versa.

Another illustrative read is who's writing linux today? from the same source.

df

stemsee

#99 Post by stemsee »

Unicorn was part of the last kernel I compiled. oops!

real time clock (rtc) run ubuild.sh then at first option enter 888, then at kernel config choose 2 make menuconfig. Then update settings to fix.

stemsee

#100 Post by stemsee »

kernel 3.18.8-64
Attachments
3.18.8-64-link.txt.fake.gz
(74 Bytes) Downloaded 225 times