Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 21 Apr 2018, 01:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 38 of 93 [1387 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, ..., 91, 92, 93 Next
Keisha

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2015, 00:26    Post subject: Quirky April full, DebianDog frugal...  

gcmartin wrote:
@Keisha, as I understand, @BarryK's April img (Quirky6, too) IS NOT A frugal. Its intent is FULL installation running on the USB (either as f2fs or ext2/ext3/ext4)...

Yes, correct, I know Quirky is a full install. What I'm racking my brain for is a way to exploit the fast read speed of f2fs in a frugal install, which DebianDog is.

Problem with just formatting the whole usb stick f2fs is, the only bootloader which can see (and thus boot from) an f2fs partition is that ugly, evil, nasty piece of work known as grub2. ***edited: ...or so I thought! I just installed grub2 to the usb stick's f2fs partition. Guess what, grub2 does not recognize f2fs!***

First thing I'll try will be to replace Quirky with the vmlinuz and initrd of a standard Puppy, say for example Slacko on the first (fat16) partition, and put the main squashfile and the savefile of Slacko on the second (f2fs) partition, and see if by using a psubdir switch I can point the kernel to the f2fs partition. If yes, then see about fiddling with DebianDog's initrd to confer upon it the same ability to use a psubdir command to switch focus over to the f2fs partition. *edited: yes, this works. upup-3.9.9.1 with a 128 MB savefile, the savefile and main squashfile on the f2fs 2nd partition, boots in 35 seconds.*

If that doesn't work, then I'll reformat the Quirky first partition to ext4, reinstall syslinux, put the DebianDog vmlinuz and initrd on the first partition, put everything else on the second (f2fs) partition and symlink it all to the first partition ***edited: have now tried this. It doesn't work***

And if that doesn't work, then I'll say to heck with tricks and just go ahead and format the usb stick as a single f2fs partition and bite the bullet and install grub2 ***nope, grub2 does not recognize f2fs***

Looks like the psubdir method is the only way I will get anything resembling a clean boot of DebianDog from an f2fs usb stick. ***edited: nahhh...I'll just recompile the kernel with f2fs recognition built-in and use a porteus-boot but deliberately not tell it, in the syslinux.cfg kernel= line, where subdirectory "live" is. That will force the boot process to search across all partitions the kernel can see. So, if I have a subdirectory named /live only on the f2fs partition, that's the one it will run. Mission accomplished.***

Last edited by Keisha on Fri 13 Feb 2015, 01:17; edited 2 times in total
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2015, 04:54    Post subject: Re: 3.16.7-ck versus 3.14.29-rt26?  

Keisha wrote:
saintless wrote:
Code:
root@dog:~# uname -a
Linux dog 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt2-1~bpo70+1 (2014-12-08) i686 GNU/Linux

If that is the truth then I look forward, with great curiosity, to racing a ck kernel versus an rt-preempt kernel on DebianDog Jessie.

We need to come up with a list of tests both rigorous and less so, by which to compare them.

I hope it is truth Smile
Test when you have time. It will be nice if we get confirmation modesetting works with this kernel. If all is OK I will edit the first post with information about this DebianDog new kernel versions.

Download links:
DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm-3.16.0-4-686-pae.iso - 138Mb.
md5sum: 16939d4fdb007d35417b93c5cc7ae824

DebianDog-Wheezy/DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox-3.16.0-4-686-pae.iso - 174Mb.
md5sum: 75277851c1001603054c974bab5abf73

Same DebianDog with replaced kernel, added wheezy-backports repository in sources list, xfe upgraded for openbox version and installed xserver-xorg-video-modesetting.
I don't think I did something wrong but testing is welcome always.

Toni

Keisha

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2015, 06:17    Post subject: Re: 3.16.7-ck versus 3.14.29-rt26?  

saintless wrote:
DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox-3.16.0-4-686-pae.iso

I'm posting from it now. Very late though, no time to explore. Like earlier Wheezy's it does not see my f2fs partitions on usb sticks.

Synaptic in all your distro's I've seen so far has been missing a dependency, the perl module Text::Iconv. To fix it, I have been installing libiconv-1.13 (by compiling it) (libiconv-1.14 is buggy, won't compile) (./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
is all it takes)
and then in a terminal
Code:
cpan
get Text::Iconv
q

and then cd into
/root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/M/MP/MPIOTR
and follow the README instructions to configure, make, and install the Text::Iconv perl module.

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2015, 14:36    Post subject:  

Keisha wrote:
Synaptic in all your distro's I've seen so far has been missing a dependency, the perl module Text::Iconv. To fix it, I have been installing libiconv-1.13 (by compiling it) (libiconv-1.14 is buggy, won't compile) (./configure --prefix=/usr

I've done a search for Text::Iconv in synaptic.(Debian has more than you'd think maybe).
Simpler solution: Installing small package 'libtext-iconv-perl' seems to get rid of the warning but I don't know what exactly is the use for it.

Edit:
Quote:
Like earlier Wheezy's it does not see my f2fs partitions on usb sticks.

I've been trying this out with DD Jessie (I have it with kernel 3.14), (which supports f2fs)
Indeed a f2fs partition doesn't show in thunar or on Desktop but mounting is possible for example by:
Code:
mount -t f2fs /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2

(Directory /mnt/sdb2 should be created first)

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 03:30    Post subject:  

Keisha wrote:
Synaptic in all your distro's I've seen so far has been missing a dependency, the perl module Text::Iconv.

DebianDog is set to install only dependencies without recommended and suggested packages. You can change this easy from Synaptic settings and for apt-get from /etc/apt/apt.conf changing "false" to "true":
Code:
APT::Install-Recommends "false"; APT::Install-Suggests "false";

But DebianDog size will be much much bigger then.
For example running synaptic in terminal you should see:
Code:
sh: lsb_release: command not found

Installing recommended package lsb-release will install also:
Code:
lsb-release python python-minimal python-support python2.6 python2.6-minimal

Installing suggested will install:
Code:
lsb python-doc python-tk python-profiler python2.6-doc python2.6-profiler binfmt-support

I don't use synaptic much but from my experince the programs works without recommended and suggested packages. You may get missing icon (for example in xfburn) or warnnings in terminal but the program works. Even complicated programs like virtualbox will work without recommends and suggested packages.
But you can always change the settings or install recomends only for some programs manually reading the information in /var/lib/dpkg/status

Edit: I guess the connection Synaptic <-> libtext-iconv-perl is related with locales package. Locales is not installed by default in DebianDog.
Installing locales will install as dependency debconf.
debconf recommends (not depends on) debconf-i18n.
debconf-i18n depends on libtext-iconv-perl.
So if you set DebianDog to install recommends by default, then installing locales will auto-install libtext-iconv-perl for you.

Toni

anikin

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 09:01    Post subject:  

Hi Toni and everybody,

To keep it small during package installations, I also remove unneeded locales. edit ... just install localepurge ==> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/admin/localepurge and locales will be purged automatically.
darkcity

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 10:39    Post subject:  

Installed DebianDog to USB, its working very nicely.

It might be worth making it more obvious that the installer is included in the ISO, as I tried to install by downloading it separately, and making it obvious that DebianDog will ask you to create a savefile.

Thanks for creating this Cool

----

EDIT:

On the OpenBox xf version selecting 'workspace settings' on the workspace switcher gives this error-

Quote:
Failed to execute child process "xfwm4-workspace-settings" (No such file or directory)

Ideally, I would like four rather than two work spaces (virtual desktops).

Also, where does Debian store Firefox profiles, ~/.mozilla/firefox doesn't appear to get updated?

Cool

fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 16:42    Post subject:  

Hi darkcity

Quote:
Failed to execute child process "xfwm4-workspace-settings" (No such file or directory)

Ideally, I would like four rather than two work spaces (virtual desktops).

Yes, xfwm4 is not installed, (to keep size of iso small) it's openbox as base with added from xfce4: thunar, xfdesktop and xfce4-panel.
To make it four work spaces: from the menu: Settings > Openbox Configuration Manager; Tab: Desktops and change "Number of desktops" to 4.

Quote:
Also, where does Debian store Firefox profiles, ~/.mozilla/firefox doesn't appear to get updated?

It's in /opt/bin/Firefox/profile

If you want to install the by Debian maintained Mozilla webbrowser (name is Iceweasel, but is exactly the same as Firefox) just uninstall the portable-firefox and install Iceweasel:
Code:
apt-get update # might be required
apt-get purge portable-firefox && apt-get install iceweasel

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 17:03    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
To keep it small during package installations, I also remove unneeded locales. edit ... just install localepurge ==> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/admin/localepurge and locales will be purged automatically.

Thanks, Anikin.
I remeber Sergey also posted information about localepurge here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=750594#750594
Also to keep DD size small as possible it is better to copy in /usr/share/locale only the language folders choosen with localepurge from the locales modules for OpenBox or Jwm version instead loading the module:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/System-modules/00-locale-files-jwm-icewm.squashfs
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/System-modules/00-locale-files-openbox_xfce.squashfs

Toni

saintless

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 17:26    Post subject:  

Hi, Darkcity.
darkcity wrote:
It might be worth making it more obvious that the installer is included in the ISO, as I tried to install by downloading it separately

I made small edit in the first post. I hope it is better:
Quote:
To test DebianDog for first time you need to burn it on CD and boot from it, or use DebianDog-installer (included in the iso and working from most linux systems) to make frugal install to HDD or USB, or to extract /live folder on top of a partition or USB and edit grub menu.lst.

Quote:
and making it obvious that DebianDog will ask you to create a savefile.

Not with live-boot-2 or live-boot-3. It will ask you to create save file only with porteus-boot.

Toni

darkcity

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb 2015, 06:33    Post subject:  

Thanks, Fred and Toni for the replies Smile
Keisha

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb 2015, 11:59    Post subject: changing false to true in /etc/apt/apt.conf (DebianDog)  

saintless wrote:
...DebianDog is set to install only dependencies without recommended and suggested packages. You can change this easy from Synaptic settings and for apt-get from /etc/apt/apt.conf changing "false" to "true":
Code:
APT::Install-Recommends "false"; APT::Install-Suggests "false";

But DebianDog size will be much much bigger then...

Yes indeed. I just tried changing false to true and then running
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade

The result is, there are now 4.5 GiB of .debs in /var/cache/apt/archives...so, I don't think I will follow through with apt-get dist-upgrade...since, the object is to recompile the kernel with f2fs support built-in...so I can put DebianDog on an 8 GB usb stick Smile

darkcity

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb 2015, 12:33    Post subject:  

Just for reference.

I have an Intel graphics cards, The following post was successful in getting glxgears (of mesa-util) to work-

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1904638&page=3&p=11595109#post11595109
Keisha

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb 2015, 13:25    Post subject:  

darkcity wrote:
Thanks, Fred and Toni for the replies Smile

I second that. It is a thrill to have you two wonderfully patient Debian Sherpa's to guide me up this learning slope. Is this the best Linux distro or what?

Ido Wolf

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb 2015, 17:42    Post subject:  

Hi guys! Question: How do I add the Ubuntu repository to this distro? I'm missing a lot of packages I'm used to have (first and foremost would be add-apt-repository) Smile

Thanks!
Page 38 of 93 [1387 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, ..., 91, 92, 93 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: