Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Puppus Dogfellow

mega.nz: 15 free gigs of cloud-syncable storage

#1 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

this is the thread formerly known as

mega.nz: 50 free gigs of cloud-syncable storage
like dropbox but 25 times more generous

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 74#1031574
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:i imagine i'm not the only one affected so i've changed the title from

mega.nz: 50 free gigs of cloud-syncable storage
like dropbox but 25 times more generous

to reflect the reduction i see in my account. i'm also getting emails from mega complaining i don't use it often enough and they reserve the right to delete the account if i continue to use it at a rate they deem insufficient.
(still works in android, tahr and xenial)

megasync-precise.tar.gz

https://mega.nz/

files in compressed folder:

megasync-xUbuntu_12.04_i386.deb
libc-ares2_1.10.0-2_i386.deb
libicu48_4.8.1.1-3ubuntu0.1_i386.deb

so far only tested in Precise 5.5, Precise 5.7.1, and ~572. other distros may not need the two dependencies.

edit: also works in Tahr Pup and Unicorn Pup.
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 05:04, edited 3 times in total.

Laie

#2 Post by Laie »

looks interesting
very interesting

Puppus Dogfellow

#3 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Laie wrote:looks interesting
very interesting
it's working very well so far. it appears to be at least as fast as Dropbox, plus it's more versatile--you can synch individual folders to the cloud rather than being confined to one specific main directory. Spider Oak can do this, but it also offers only 2gb of storage with a free account. Copy offers 15gb but is comparatively sluggish and resource hungry, or feels so--i haven't actually done tests, but Mega seems to be the fastest of the bunch. it's half the size of a Dropbox install, and the interface isn't as busy or convoluted as SpiderOak's or Copy's, even though it's arguably the most customizable and capable (setting up proxies, adding or deleting folders to either the download or upload file structure, etc.). it's very on top of things and the mobile app installed flawlessly as well.

props to l0wt3ch--i had never heard of MEGA until one of his links brought it to my attention. iirc, the two android apps have together close to two million downloads, so it's not exactly an unknown thing, but it's a nice find nonetheless. haven't been with it long enough to say if it's the most robust, but it really does seem very solid.

step

#4 Post by step »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote: props to l0wt3ch--i had never heard of MEGA until one of his links brought it to my attention.
I believe MEGA is a brainchild of Kim Dotcom's, the founder of Megauploads.com, which authorities shut down years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Dotcom
WP says that Kim Dotcom stepped down from director of MEGA in 2013. I'm guessing he's still the principal investor.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

step wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote: props to l0wt3ch--i had never heard of MEGA until one of his links brought it to my attention.
I believe MEGA is a brainchild of Kim Dotcom's, the founder of Megauploads.com, which authorities shut down years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Dotcom
WP says that Kim Dotcom stepped down from director of MEGA in 2013. I'm guessing he's still the principal investor.
Kim Dotcom - a nice guy who is being wrongfully targeted and one of the few rich people I can like.

As for what I have to say in the cloud storage wars - MEGA Master Race!

sonny

#6 Post by sonny »

Thanks!!!! Worked for me in Tarhpup.... :D

Puppus Dogfellow

#7 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

bark_bark_bark
PostPosted: Yesterday, at 19:45 Post subject:
step wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:

props to l0wt3ch--i had never heard of MEGA until one of his links brought it to my attention.

Kim Dotcom - a nice guy who is being wrongfully targeted and one of the few rich people I can like.

thanks for the background.

___
sonny wrote:Thanks!!!! Worked for me in Tarhpup.... :D
cool. did you need the dependencies?

___

here's an sfs of the files from the first post.

bark_bark_bark

#8 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
bark_bark_bark
PostPosted: Yesterday, at 19:45 Post subject:
step wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:

props to l0wt3ch--i had never heard of MEGA until one of his links brought it to my attention.

thanks for the background.
He also convinced Lizard Squad to stop DDoS attacks on Playstation Network and Xbox Live.

sonny

#9 Post by sonny »

Yes, had to use both dependencies to get it to work. Works well, shows up in menu with icons an all. Lots of space for puppy stuff....

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Just bear in mind if using for puppy files their site is unfriendly towards older browsers ie they say sod off...... and I assume the software is too.

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#11 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:Just bear in mind if using for puppy files their site is unfriendly towards older browsers ie they say sod off...... and I assume the software is too.

mike
the browser plugin's kind of useless--all the functions can be performed through the dock, so it may be worth giving it a try anyway, mike. you could always write another gui for it if you get bored.

your browser worked well enough to to receive the sod off message--seems like a good omen to me.

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Actually I lied... it was seamonkey 2.9.1 which is the same engine as firefox 12.... so long term support gets the finger too.

Thing is does make it a bit impossible if you cannot even browse the site.

As for a gui ...well no chance. dropbox provide easy access apis intending that users can write their own friendly software... no other host seems to do that.

Had similar problem with drop.com.... so the box lives on.
What if the guy gets himself arrested /seized... nothing against him but he seems a target...though openly charging for pirate media was pushing it a bit.

mike
Attachments
sod_off.png
(127.99 KiB) Downloaded 2146 times

bark_bark_bark

#13 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Spoof your user agent string!

clifford

#14 Post by clifford »

sorry im a bit new here, not to linux but to puppy. need a bit help.

i've downloaded the zip and installed each file and i have the mega icon in my system section of the menu. when i click on this i'm getting no response.

have i done something wrong?

i'm on precise puppy 571 frugal hdd install.

cheers.

Puppus Dogfellow

#15 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

clifford wrote:sorry im a bit new here, not to linux but to puppy. need a bit help.

i've downloaded the zip and installed each file and i have the mega icon in my system section of the menu. when i click on this i'm getting no response.

have i done something wrong?

i'm on precise puppy 571 frugal hdd install.

cheers.
enter "megasync" into a terminal and see what happens/what it says. if nothing, check the package manager ("ppm" in terminal) to see if they installed correctly enough to register there (click uninstall and see if those three packages are at the end of the scrollable list. if you added more since then, clicking the main title should alphabetize it--not as convenient, but not too bad for three files). if nothing still, you could try the sfs.

does the megasync.desktop file in usr/share/applications work/exist?

iasimo

#16 Post by iasimo »

Hi there, I'm in the same trouble: I'm on a puppy precise 5.7.1

everything installed... Dependencies OK, but when click on MegaSync icon nothing happens. By terminal:

# megasync
megasync: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcares.so.2)

...thanks for the help!! :D

Puppus Dogfellow

#17 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

iasimo wrote:Hi there, I'm in the same trouble: I'm on a puppy precise 5.7.1

everything installed... Dependencies OK, but when click on MegaSync icon nothing happens. By terminal:

# megasync
megasync: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcares.so.2)

...thanks for the help!! :D

you installed all the files from megasync-precise.tar.gz and it didn't work for you? these three were all i needed on three of three 571/571 derivative installations.

here's an sfs consisting of the same three files (megasync-xUbuntu_12.04_i386.deb, libc-ares2_1.10.0-2_i386.deb, libicu48_4.8.1.1-3ubuntu0.1_i386.deb).

anyway, i'd try the gz or the sfs first, and if those fail, maybe try

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite ... =libc.so.6

or an rpm version. sometimes you luck out and one is all it takes, sometimes it takes the one lib and just keeps asking for more.

hth
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.

Puppus Dogfellow

#18 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

(post wouldn't show without me cutting apart and repasting it--never seen this particular forum glitch before, but doing the same thing twice didn't help it any.)

fwiw to anyone, syncing between machines (but not the cloud) has stopped with my precise 5.5. installation. it's still working well on the three precise 571/571 derivatives.

slavvo67

#19 Post by slavvo67 »

I'm sorry, but did anyone read Step's post? The creator of this thing is reflected as an international data thief.

It doesn't sound like a good idea to be storing data here but to each his/her own....

bark_bark_bark

#20 Post by bark_bark_bark »

slavvo67 wrote:The creator of this thing is reflected as an international data thief.
Kim Dotcom's name and image has been smeared a lot, but he is an innocent man for sure and he has done nothing wrong.

He saved Christmas 2014, you know. Well at least he saved Christmas for the people who got 8th gen video game consoles. How? He convinced The Lizard Squad to stop the DDoS attacks on PSN and Xbox Live.