Teamviewer 11

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
cimarron

Teamviewer 11

#1 Post by cimarron »

Teamviewer is not open source, but free for personal use. Provides remote desktop capabilities, plus lots of extra functions like file transfer, chat, audio and video conferencing, wake-on-lan, etc. Windows, Mac, and mobile versions available also for cross-platform usage. Can be used anywhere over the internet, or only within your LAN if desired.

Here's a SFS and .pet for Teamviewer 11 (See what's new.):

These are made from the .tar.xz package on the Teamviewer website. (The .deb package didn't work on my Precise pup.) I added a menu entry and startup script to avoid conflicts if wine is already installed on your system.

Teamviewer-11.0.53191.sfs

Teamviewer-11.0.52520.pet
(It installs in /opt; 183M installed)
Last edited by cimarron on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 19:29, edited 9 times in total.

tlchost

Re: Teamviewer 10

#2 Post by tlchost »

cimarron wrote:
(This is my first .pet, so feedback appreciated. Seems to install and uninstall fine. Teamviewer has no dependencies. It installs in /opt )
What version of wine are you running ?

thanks

cimarron

#3 Post by cimarron »

I used the linux version provided by Teamviewer. The necessary wine components are built into the package, so wine doesn't need to be installed. (It looks like wine 1.6 is used in the package.)

cimarron

#4 Post by cimarron »

Have done some more testing. Successfully ran a Windows 7 computer from my precise pup, both on my LAN and via the internet (1000 miles away). Wake-On-LAN works too. Also was able to successfully control puppy from my ubuntu laptop. Had to have Teamviewer running on puppy for it to work (I don't think you can just run the daemon).

One old Averatec laptop I tried it on, version 10 did not work, but the previous Teamviewer version 9 did. Version 10 can control a computer running previous versions, but not the other way around.
Last edited by cimarron on Tue 10 Feb 2015, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

snayak

#5 Post by snayak »

Dear Cimarron,

Yesterday, I tried installing teamviewer 10 from .tar.gz package on the Teamviewer website, on my fatdog 611. (fatdog is 64bit puppy)
But I failed. It gave segfault.

Did you try your sfs on fatdog by any chance?

[I tried .deb from teamviewer site also. Failed too.]

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

cimarron

#7 Post by cimarron »

You could try the SFS. It just loads the extracted tar.gz package into /opt and provides a menu item to start it. I haven't tried it on Fatdog or any other 64-bit system (I just have old computers). But I don't think it could do any harm; if it doesn't work just unload the SFS. A few small config and log files might be left in /opt, that's all.

Beyond that, you'd probably have to ask in the Fatdog thread to get someone who could better understand what you need.

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

:wink: Nice job Cimarron. Runs well aboard 528.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

TJK

LAN option problems

#9 Post by TJK »

I have tried both the pet and sfs, and both work fine with the default settings. However, I was wanting to use TV exclusively on my LAN, but when I try to use this setup I get an error message that TV is not "permanently installed". Is there any way that TV with work between two computers on the same LAN?

gyro

Re: LAN option problems

#10 Post by gyro »

TJK wrote:I have tried both the pet and sfs, and both work fine with the default settings. However, I was wanting to use TV exclusively on my LAN, but when I try to use this setup I get an error message that TV is not "permanently installed". Is there any way that TV with work between two computers on the same LAN?
I don't think so, unless you can get it to run as a server on at least one local machine.
From my observations, it seems that both computers connect to a teamviewer server, and the connection is made there.

I often use teamviewer 10 on TahrPup to help distant folk with their Windows machines. (It helps a lot to be able to see their screen.) So, that always uses the Internet anyway.

I have no record of how I got it, but I think I simply downloaded their "tar.gz" file and unpacked it into "/opt", then created a ".desktop" file.

gyro

jamesbond

#11 Post by jamesbond »

It is possible to install TV as a "service". This way it will automatically started each time the computer boots up.

The Fatdog version of TV sfs doesn't do this because on (my) typical use case I don't want it to "auto-run" every time - gyro is right that connection is mediated by TV server somewhere for both the the "server" and the "client". Having that service enabled at all time is a big security risk!

But if you're asking whether it could be done - the answer is yes, and although it has been a while since I last configured TV sfs; I remember installing it as a service from the official .tar.gz was pretty easy (it was the default setting if you attempt to install it).
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

TJK

#12 Post by TJK »

Thanks for your comments...
Better security is the reason I wanted to restrict Teamviewer to my LAN. I always was under the impression that TV was as secure as if I would run a VPN thru a SSH tunnel.
I have a LAN server tucked away in a cupboard, and Teamviewer was a great all-in-one app to manage my server -- with wake-on-lan, remote desktop and file xfer being my main uses -- TV is often running for many hours at a time (and frankly, I don't like using my internet provider for these reasons). If there is a more secure option (that's relative easy to setup), I would like to hear your thoughts.

(I really like using PL with my older laptop, as sort of a "remote control" for my workhorse-server -- PL doesn't run much else.)

cimarron

#13 Post by cimarron »

I use Teamviewer with LAN-only access. I usually have a Windows 7 computer with Teamviewer running all the time, so I can sign in and remotely control it with my Puppy computer. Both are set up to work only with LAN connections, and it works fine. Wake-on-LAN also works.

I did find that the linux version (at least the .tar.gz package, I think) would not work as a daemon only, in the background, like it does in Windows. But if I just opened Teamviewer and left it running, I could access the computer from another on our LAN.

Your problem might be that the linux "wizard" for setting up LAN-only or unattended access isn't what you should use. If you use the manual settings (Extras/Options) and select LAN connections exclusively and enter your unattended access password, then it should work.

Running Teamviewer LAN-only does not use the central Teamviewer servers to locate the remote computer (a local IP address has to be provided to locate the computer you want to access). You can also turn off update checks and the contact list if you don't want Teamviewer phoning home at all.

Since a local IP address is used, you might want to use a static address on the computer you want to access, so the IP address doesn't get reassigned by your router. That's what I do.

gyro

#14 Post by gyro »

Thanks for the info folks.
I finally found the "LAN-only" option in "teamviewer". This is great because I've been looking for a "LAN-only" solution for a particular situation and had been ignoring "teamviewer".
gyro

gyro

#15 Post by gyro »

Just tested it, it worked.

I did a "basic" install of "teamviewer" on the computer I wanted to control, not as a service.
Then started it and configured it to "LAN-exclusively".
It then showed my "id" as my ip address.
On my tablet I already had the "teamviewer" app installed, so I started it up and entered the "id" of the computer, (it's ip address).
Connection came up and I had to enter the "password".
Then I could run and control apps on the computer by tapping on the tablet.

Thanks again.

Sorry, neither of these devices were running puppy linux.
But I think if you just ran the linux version and configured it as "LAN-exclusive" it would act the same way.

gyro

cimarron

#16 Post by cimarron »

Teamviewer 11 beta is available for testing. I put together an SFS if anyone wants to try it (it's basically the tar.xz version with a menu entry added):

[Downloads in first post]

It worked fine in my initial tests, and was able to keep all my settings from version 10. Much faster (also significantly larger). More info here: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/currentversion.aspx
Last edited by cimarron on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

gjuhasz

Replaced wine 1.6 with wine 1.7 in teamviewer

#17 Post by gjuhasz »

I found that the official TeamViewer packages include wine 1.6 libs while Puli supports wine 1.7.21.

To mitigate this, I assembled teamviewer-11w17.pet with wine 1.7.21 modules.

Tested successfully in Puli - both in "standalone mode" and also when wine 1.7.21 package is co-installed. Probably work in other puppies, too.

Uploaded to http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages

The teamviewer-10w17.pet and wine_puli_wdt-1.7.21.pet packages are available at the same URL

See Puli at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96964

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

cimarron

#18 Post by cimarron »

That's interesting. Do the wine components included in Teamviewer (which are all located in /opt/teamviewer) interact with any other wine components that might be installed in the system?

It looks pretty self-contained to me. But I don't have wine installed separately.

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

cimarron wrote:That's interesting. Do the wine components included in Teamviewer (which are all located in /opt/teamviewer) interact with any other wine components that might be installed in the system?
I am using wine 1,41 and find the wine components in the teamviewer sfs
conflict with the ones on my system...so I replaced the ones in teamviewer with the ones in wine 1.41

Does the 11 teamviewer communicate with the 10 version...in the past, one needed to update all the teamviewers on different systems to match.

cimarron

#20 Post by cimarron »

In my experience, newer versions of Teamviewer can run a remote computer with an older version of Teamviewer on it, but not the other way around.

I was able to use Teamviewer 11 on Puppy to operate a remote Windows computer with Teamviewer 10 (then updated that one remotely).