Restore Slacko 5.7.0 full install: How do I chroot?

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
bobc

Restore Slacko 5.7.0 full install: How do I chroot?

#1 Post by bobc »

Background:
I have used Slacko Pup 5.7.0 as a basis to create a system that meets all my needs, and I need a good, efficient way to save and restore on the base system and to be able to efficiently restore it to my other machines. I use grub2 to manage the boots because it seems to find the most distros and cause the least amount of grief to get things to boot. I have failed before with lilo, grub4dos and grub-legacy, so that's why I use grub2.

Problem:
Once i have the partition restored, how can I chroot to is to do the grub-install and update-grub? Currently, I have to install Manjaro and then boot it, and then modify 40_custom to add the puppy, do the grub-install and update-grub on Manjaro, then reboot, boot to puppy, then redo the grub-install and update-grub in the puppy environment.

in Manjaro to chroot I need to

Mount the partition, change to it, mount the system directories, chroot to it, install grub2 to the mbr, then update-grub to create the grub.cfg

Code: Select all

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

cd /mnt

mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts/
chroot /mnt

###edit /etc/default/grub to set graphics mode so the screen is readable
###edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom if needed

install-grub --recheck /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
reboot
I know the syntax for those mounts is different in each distro. What is the correct syntax for Slacko 5.7.0? Also, is there a way I could save the text to scripts and run them? I have to type them in by hand in Manjaro.

If I knew that I could avoid needing to install Manjaro to install Slacko, LOL.

PS: Its quite a credit to Slacko and its creators that it is as advanced, stable and still as efficient as it is. I have tried at least 30 distros and only a few others made it to where they were worth the effort to tweak and load on more than one machine. Most either had too large of memory/cpu needs, many didn't have the programs I wanted or couldn't do the things I wanted to do with my old clunkers.