Defaults-Wizard v0.1.2

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Pizzasgood

Defaults-Wizard v0.1.2

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

There are a bunch of files in /usr/local/bin/ that look like 'defaultbrowser' or 'defaulttexteditor'. Most things should be set to run them, rather than seamonkey or geany. That way you can edit those files to change the defaults easily.

Until now, you had to do it by hand. This should change that. It searches /usr/local/bin/ for any file matching the name default* except defaulthandler, which is a more complicated file. It then makes a popup with a list of each such file and what it currently runs. There will be a button next to each one that you can click to change the app. It will pop up a file-chooser dialog, so you can browse or type the filename. Then it replaces it in the file, and goes back to where it started in case you want to change more.

defaults-wizard-v0.1.2.pup
defaults-wizard-v0.1.1.pup
defaults-wizard-v0.1.0.pup

To run it, open a terminal and type defaults-wizard, or choose it in the start menu under "Setup" for JWM and under "Setup > Wizards" for IceWM. It also adds a defaultswizard.desktop entry in /usr/share/applications/.

Last edited by Pizzasgood on Wed 06 Dec 2006, 05:44, edited 3 times in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MU

#2 Post by MU »

nifty, will add it to Muppy :)
Thanks, Mark

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

I was in bed and almost ready to sleep when I realized I never said how to run it :oops:

Open a terminal and type defaults-wizard

It doesn't add itself to the menus yet either. I don't like messing with them, but I probably should for this one. I'll update it for that tomorrow evening.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

pakt

#4 Post by pakt »

Nice one, Pizzasgood - another handy utility to put in Puppy 8)

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

Awesome Pizza!! A definite "MUST HAVE!" for anyone just coming into Puppy!

Thank you so very much for this! Though I really learnt a lot about Linux because of little things like this in Puppy, editing default files, or making desktop icons by hand, etc., this will come in so handy for all of the very new people just starting out into exploring our OS say, from Windows XP/98se, etc.

Again Pizza, THANKS!! :)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

I added entries in the start menu under "Setup" for JWM and under "Setup > Wizards" for IceWM. It also now adds a defaultswizard.desktop entry in /usr/share/applications/.

defaults-wizard-v0.1.1.pup

Installing this over the old one is fine.

EDIT: I re-uploaded it because the part that edited the icewm menu was messed up. If you already used that one, open /root/.icewm/menu and remove the menu at the very bottom called "Wizards". Then you can download the fixed version (same name) and re-install to get it correctly. Sorry 'bout that.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

change from Geany to Leafpad

#7 Post by Lobster »

good idea :)

hard for a beginner
for example to change from Geany to Leafpad
I have to know Leafpad is in usr/local/bin

so this might have greater usage with common options
(which would mean a different layout)
Not sure what widget to suggest . . .

Very useful
Many thanks

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

For anything much more complicated, I'll have to learn PuppyBasic (not a bad thing).

Options are hard, because they may or may not be installed, and there's no telling where. Sometimes they look installed, but it's a symlink.

Not that it couldn't be done, but this is all I'm doing for the near future. As of now, I'm only working on Pizzapup, other than maintenance-type-things.

Though I might adjust the file-choosing slightly, to first pop up a text-entry box with a button for the "browse" box that currently comes up. That wouldn't be until the weekend at the earliest.

john biles

#9 Post by john biles »

Hello Pizzasgood,
I installed version 0.1.1 and restarted jwm and it was in the menu so I opened it.
I clicked on Gxine and it opened a box. So I clicked O.K as I wasn't planning to change any thing and just wanted to get out of your package.
Now I can't open Gxine even if I click on the icon in usr/local/bin/gxine which is the location linked from the desktop.
I am also running the XFce desktop and it still works from there?
but not in jwm anymore?

So how do I fix it and maybe you need to make your package so that it doesn't delete links if someone presses OK instead of clicking on the "X" to close your program.

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

Whoops. I remembered to take care of hitting cancel and 'x', but I forgot about that possibility... :oops:

I'll go fix it.

EDIT: If you run the wizard again, it should still be there. It should show a '/' rather than saying 'gxine', but if you click it, it should let you change it. Gxine is at /usr/local/bin/gxine.

I noticed it doesn't have a cancel button though, so I'm going to add that too. You can click the 'x' to get out though.

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

I added a cancel button, and have it set up to output an error message when it tries to load a default* that has a blank entry (an error that only happened from running an unfinished version, but it took forever to figure it out because it wasn't making any kind of error message due to how that particular line was written).

If you just click okay, it will still replace the application with a / (or a /bin/ or whatever directory you're in). As there is now a cancel button, this shouldn't be a problem. I might adjust that next time I upgrade it, but for now this is fine. If you mess up, you just click it again and choose the correct app.

defaults-wizard-v0.1.2.pup

If you want to fix your error by hand instead, just open /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer in a text editor and replace it with this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec gxine "$@"
XFCE might have linked directly to gxine rather than the defaultmediaplayer file.

john biles

#12 Post by john biles »

Thanks Pizzasgood,
I will try and fix it when i get home from work.
I like the fact that you included a cancel button and how to manually edit the file to fix it. Thanks :D

john biles

#13 Post by john biles »

Hello Pizzasgood,
I opened the location of Gxine and pasted in the text you posted as a fix and that fixed it.
The file for Gxine was empty.
So thank you for the fix. :D

Pizzasgood

#14 Post by Pizzasgood »

Great. :)

EdFromHouston

#15 Post by EdFromHouston »

I installed a live cd with Puppy 2.13 and version 0.12 defaults wizard quit working. In Puppy 2.12 your extension worked great.

Now when the second screen opens in defaults wizard and I try to type in the location box, your screen disappears from the desktop[s] both a and b in icewm and jwm.

Does it need to be updated or do I have something set wrong or something missing?

Ed

Edit:
That's a clean install of puppy 2.13, programs like firefox, thunderbird, etc...

Have a good night.

Pizzasgood

#16 Post by Pizzasgood »

I have no idea. I just downloaded 2.13 last night, so I'll install it and see what's going on.

EdFromHouston

#17 Post by EdFromHouston »

Ok I downloaded 2.13 again and again checked the MD5 using HashTab in Windows XP SP2.

I burned it at 1X and tested it in my CD drive and DVD drive to see if it and Defaults-Wizard 0.12 together with nothing else (but the Firefox 2.0.0.1.dot-pup) would work as one with 2.13.

It did the same thing when I tried to click anywhere on the second screen that pops up to allow you to change the default location, it shut down.

I hope this helps.

Maybe 2.12 has a library that 2.13 doesn't have causing this or maybe the pop up blocker in firefox 2.0.0.1 is doing something but I can't see that because that doesn't compute..

I did notice wmweather.pup wont work in 2.13 and when you run Icewm ultra at least on my pc the wmfish thingy with the wmclock and wmweather opens but it is hidden behind the desktop background. It's not gone but behind it.

EDIT: I'm using Xvesa because I have an unsupported ATI PCI card for Dual Monitors (a VisionTec K7 based on rv100 / 7000 but the Radeon driver doesn't work even after getting rid of the 2nd monitor in the config file).

Please check in Xvesa.

Ed

John Doe

#18 Post by John Doe »

EdFromHouston wrote:...when you run Icewm ultra at least on my pc the wmfish thingy with the wmclock and wmweather opens but it is hidden behind the desktop background. It's not gone but behind it.
This thread will probably fix this problem:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14201

It also fixes another issue, as I mention here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14232

EdFromHouston

#19 Post by EdFromHouston »

This is something when I tried to later manually change in 2.13 the default mail fron mozmail to thunderbird, the thunderbird didn't execute at /usr/local/thunderbird /thunderbird and mozmail when I clicked on the desktop icon blanked out.

This was an after thought that I have no idea what it means.

EdFromHouston

#20 Post by EdFromHouston »

Thanks John Doe
I don't like the new Rox., I'll look a it.