Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#4161 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred!
Many improvements for sfs loading scripts :)
fredx181 wrote:Here's .deb package for portablesfs (thoroughly tested this time, :) )
I think I did the packaging right but it's not easy these days with the new "rules" (for gsu/gksu))
The deb package looks fine to me.
Attached loadmodule_loadsfs.tar.gz:
Includes:
. New 'loadmodule' script, fixes:
- When (sometimes) a module fails to unload, added forcing unmount (in case it doesn't normally)
- Added workaround for OpenBox version to show the application in the menu after loading.
Toni, I found that on Jwm version there's no problem at all so you can keep the older version if you want.
It is better to have the same scripts in both versions when it is possible. I will rename the old one and keep it in case I find some problem with the new loadmodule in DD-Jwm.
Script "loadsfs"
It is using the default "Sfs-load mode" and I think this will be best to use for the SFSdrop icon on the Desktop.
Disadvantage is that it doesn't work with full install.
Advantage is that it doesn't need unionfs-fuse package
loadsfs-fuse can also be used, I'm not sure yet what's best.
We can add second icon on the desktop for loadsfs-fuse named SFSdrop-chroot or think of some way to create it from debdog-full-install script, or we can just add the information how to change the path for SFSdrop icon for full install in Howto thread.
My opinion is to keep loadsfs for SFSdrop icon as default for frugall install.
Edit: Small disadvantage for portablesfs "Chroot mode", loadsfs-fuse and loadsfs-fuse-writesfs:
When using it when logged in with normal user account, sudo and su doesn't work (when running Xterm from "Applications" menu and trying to use sudo or su). Can't figure out why.
I thought it is permissions problem for sudo or sudoers in /mnt/unionfs... folder but it is not. I will also try to find fix for this.

Edit: From root account typing sudo in Applications -> xterm gives correct output. The problem is for user account.

Edit 2: Just found something related here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/299878/e ... environmet
According to this post the problem could be in nosuid but it does not give real solution:

Code: Select all

puppy@debian:~$ mount
unionfs-fuse on /mnt/unionsfs_13204 type fuse.unionfs-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
Edit 3: About loadsfs-fuse I will make /opt/bin/load-sfs-chroot-full_install with content:

#!/bin/bash
loadsfs-fuse "$@"

Then create links for right click on sfs files in Rox and XFE. If you make something similar for Thunar this should be enough as option for loading sfs in full install.

Edit 4: About sudo problem I can use sudo from user account by starting xterm with click on /.unionfs/Xterm.desktop or /mnt/unionsfs_20128/usr/bin/xterm
The problem is only when starting xterm with double click from Applications yad window.

Toni

fredx181

#4162 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks for your suggestions and investigation, Toni!

The nosuid was indeed the problem, fixed by adding "suid" to the options of unionfs-fuse mounting.
But once that worked, there were other complications, so made some more changes (e.g. export PATH)
sudo is working now.
Btw, 07-vbox-light-xz.squashfs is a good test case because of it's complexity and needing sudo (gsu) when typing "start-virtualbox" in Xterm window.

Attached new portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar)
For information see here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 577#821577
. New 'loadmodule' script, fixes:
- When (sometimes) a module fails to unload, added forcing unmount (in case it doesn't normally)
- Added workaround for OpenBox version to show the application in the menu after loading.
Toni, I found that on Jwm version there's no problem at all so you can keep the older version if you want.

It is better to have the same scripts in both versions when it is possible. I will rename the old one and keep it in case I find some problem with the new loadmodule in DD-Jwm.
Yes, it will do no harm on Jwm version.
Edit 3: About loadsfs-fuse I will make /opt/bin/load-sfs-chroot-full_install with content:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
loadsfs-fuse "$@"

Then create links for right click on sfs files in Rox and XFE. If you make something similar for Thunar this should be enough as option for loading sfs in full install.
Good idea, I will look at it.
Edit 4: About sudo problem I can use sudo from user account by starting xterm with click on /.unionfs/Xterm.desktop or /mnt/unionsfs_20128/usr/bin/xterm
Just for information, I changed the directory to /unionfs instead of /.unionfs (needed to solve part of the complications after adding suid option)

Edit: Attachment portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb removed from here. See for new portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 787#823787

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 19:51, edited 3 times in total.

saintless

#4163 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Attached new portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb
Thanks, Fred!
Uploaded in DD repository section included and added to next version changes post.
Also added:

apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
This is a fix for gpr error after running apt-get update. I guess you get the same erorr lately:

W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org wheezy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 5C808C2B65558117
Toni

fredx181

#4164 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Uploaded in DD repository section included and added to next version changes post.
Whoopeee! It made it to the official DD repo :D
Forgot to reply on this previously:
It's because then you run Xterm from the normal system, not from the chroot environment.
The yad Applications window is started from being inside the chroot.
Code:
apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring

This is a fix for gpr error after running apt-get update. I guess you get the same erorr lately:
Thanks, yes, I noticed already.

Fred

fredx181

#4165 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Here's a little script I think I'll use sometimes, maybe it can be useful for you or anyone.
It can be used only to chroot into a full filesystem module e.g. 01-filesystem.squashfs (or maybe a main .sfs from puppy, didn't test that).
The advantage is that you can chroot into it without having to extract the module with unsquashfs first.
It's based on loadsfs-fuse but instead of opening Applications menu it opens xterm and from there you can enter commands.
It is not combined with the actual running system, just exclusively the system from the 01-filesystem.squashfs that is loaded.
Anything that has been written into it will be in /root/writesfs.
Network connection should work, disk volume monitoring is not running.

Attached chrootin.tar (dummy .tar)

Edit: made some improvements:
- not using a function now for the chroot .... /bin/bash .. command
This way with a bash version not supporting to execute a function it still *works*.
(I noticed the problem when I tested loading puppy_precise_3.7.2.sfs).
- Tries to show the yad "Applications" gui whenever possible, otherwise it shows xterm.
- instead of /root/writesfs for "write" folder, it will named after the module, e.g /root/puppy_precise_3.7.2.sfs.
When testing different modules with same name (e.g. 01-filesystem.squashfs) the content will be mixed in the "/root/01-filesystem.squashfs" write directory. Better delete it first to start fresh.

Far from perfect, please see it as a funny experiment.
Works well when "spying" :) into another DD version , e.g. from Jwm > Openbox and vice versa.
Attachments
chrootin.tar
New uploaded improved chrootin script: For to chroot into a main module without having to extract with unsquashfs first.
(7.82 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 19:52, edited 4 times in total.

saintless

#4166 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred!
Added to the next version changes list. I will keep it in /opt/bin

Toni

fredx181

#4167 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote: I will keep it in /opt/bin
Better in "/opt/test/experimental/very-experimental" :shock: :)

Fred

saintless

#4168 Post by saintless »

OK, Fred :) I will place it in /opt/bin/special/test-first.

Uploaded deb in extra packages section: peasyscale_1.8_i386.deb. Depends on libjpeg-progs installed with synaptic or apt-get.
More information here.

Toni

Edit: Deb package updated to version 1.8
Last edited by saintless on Thu 29 Jan 2015, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#4169 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

I don't have more ideas to include in DD for the moment and I will start remastering all changes we have in next changes post. I just like to test properly the system with all changes added in the main module. No hurry to upload new DD version. I will wait for your word about that.

Toni

fredx181

#4170 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I don't have more ideas to include in DD for the moment and I will start remastering all changes we have in next changes post. I just like to test properly the system with all changes added in the main module. No hurry to upload new DD version. I will wait for your word about that.
Yes, I did already make remaster from time to time, just like to test a little more and I'll let you know when I'm ready.
I'll come up later with a new sfs-get-smokey-get .deb with a small fix for sfs-get and updated template files (for gdrive-get and smokey-get)
Also i found portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse needs small fix. (sometimes leaves trace behind: ( /.unionfs folder) ).

Edit: Improved a little bit the chrootin script, see my Edit a few posts before.

Fred

saintless

#4171 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Seems mplayer2 does not work on some P-II:

MPlayer interrupted by signal 4 in module: read_subtitles_file
- MPlayer crashed by an 'Illegal Instruction'.
  It usually happens when you run it on a CPU different than the one it was
  compiled/optimized for.
  Verify this!
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
cat /proc/cpuinfo shows:

root@debian:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 3
model name      : Pentium II (Klamath)
stepping        : 4
microcode       : 0x35
cpu MHz         : 231.796
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov mmx
bogomips        : 463.59
clflush size    : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:
Compiled on the same machine and working mplayer2 uploaded here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... led.tar.gz
Maybe it will be useful for someone else.

Toni

fredx181

#4172 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Compiled on the same machine and working mplayer2 uploaded here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... led.tar.gz
Thanks, this doesn't mean any change for mplayer2 on DebianDog I assume?

Bugfix for debdog-install:

For using ext4 (when checkbox 'Disable journal on ext4' is enabled) it's ok but when I tested installing to usb pendrive with ext2 filesystem it won't boot (but only when mounted already during install).
It's a mistake I made in the script; The boot flag is set after checking if it's mounted already.
So if this is the case (mounted already) the boot flag will not be set, FIXED now by changing the order (now it's set before checking if mounted already).
The reason why it works well with ext4 and checkbox ticked is that the filesystem will be unmounted.
This way the checking if it's mounted already is negative so the boot flag will be set in that case.
(I like to explain a little but having a hard time to find the right words for this :) )

Attached debdog-install.tar (remove dummy .tar extension)

DebianDog-Installer appimage updated with same fix:

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... -Installer

Make it executable:

chmod +x DebianDog-Installer
Fred
Attachments
debdog-install.tar
Fixed bug in debdog-install
(17.18 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 24 Jan 2015, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#4173 Post by saintless »

Attached debdog-install.tar (remove dummy .tar extension)

DebianDog-Installer appimage updated with same fix:

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... -Installer
Thanks, Fred! Added in next version changes post.
...this doesn't mean any change for mplayer2 on DebianDog I assume?
No change for the included mplayer2.
Just available for download extra mplayer2 for P-II machines.

Toni

fredx181

#4174 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Here's new sfs-get-smokey-get_1.0.1_i386.deb and portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb.
(remove dummy .tar extension)

Changes for sfs-get-smokey-get:
- sfs-get script can now only select directory for saving (was a bit confusing as you could select a file also).
- updated all 'template' files in /usr/local/smokey-get and /usr/local/gdrive-get.
(added your second google-drive as 'toni2', hope you don't mind, if you do, just feel free to remove it in the .deb)

Changes for portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse:
- leaves no /.unionfs folder behind when using portablesfs script or loadsfs-fuse (I noticed it sometimes did)
- changed for "loadsfs-fuse-writesfs" the 'write' directory name to /root/<name_of_module> instead of previously /root/writesfs

I think within a few days I'll upload new iso.
Maybe it's good idea we upload test iso this time, so we can test each others version first before final release.
Lots of big changes this time!

Edit: Q; Do we replace initrd1.img with new initrd1.img-wh ?

Fred
Attachments
portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb.tar
New portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
sfs-get-smokey-get_1.0.1_i386.deb.tar
New sfs-get-smokey-get
(92.07 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#4175 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Here's new sfs-get-smokey-get_1.0.1_i386.deb and portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb
Thanks, Fred! I will replace them in DD repository.
(added your second google-drive as 'toni2', hope you don't mind,
I don't mind.
Maybe it's good idea we upload test iso this time, so we can test each others version first before final release.
OK, but I doubt I or anyone else can test your script improvements better than you :)

Edit:BTW I will add one more category in portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse inside /usr/share/applications/sfsportable.desktop to make it appear in Utility for MJWM menu in Jwm version.
fredx181 wrote:Edit: Q; Do we replace initrd1.img with new initrd1.img-wh ?
Yes.

Toni

fredx181

#4176 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Quote:

OK, but I doubt I or anyone else can test your script improvements better than you Smile
Yes, maybe, there's not much feedback on that.
But what I just mean by testing is the general system e.g. repository, changes for Jwm version for porteus-boot (without obshutdown) and to look at something possibly forgotten.

I noticed your Edit, I'll replace initrd1.img.

Edit:
Edit:BTW I will add one more category in portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse inside /usr/share/applications/sfsportable.desktop to make it appear in Utility for MJWM menu in Jwm version.
Yes, I see now, It has 'Utilities' , probably that category doesn't exist, should be 'Utility'.

Fred

fredx181

#4177 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, All

Here is new DebianDog-openbox_xfce.iso
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... x_xfce.iso

I tried to make it sync with Jwm version as much as possible;
- removed ripperx package and dependencies.
(noticed that creating a module with apt2sfs didn't work sometimes for Jwm version when created with Openbox version because of the ripperx dependencies were installed on Openbox, specially with multimedia e.g. ffmpeg)
- Updated the 'Greybird' theme (some applications displayed white font color when installing package that depends on gtk3, now it has black font color as it's supposed to be).
- added libesd0 package (as Jwm version already has)

And of course all the changes (hopefully didn't forget any) from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 368#776368

Btw, I tried the block size set to 1M for creating 01-filesystem.squashfs, the file size became 3Mb less as when using block size set to 512k but I didn't like the result; booting slower, system running not very smooth, so I used 512k block size, same as I did already before.

Fred

saintless

#4178 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

I will test new iso today and tomorrow.

Here is new jwm version.
Same maximum xz compression as always. For me the choice should be gzip or xz (for main module, extra modules and initrd files). Any level of xz works slow on my hardware. Even if I use gzip with Wheezy after installing Iceweasel I see gzip compression is not a solution. Most Wheezy programs need more RAM and faster processor. I use Squeeze and it is gzip compressed by default (including the extra modules and mksquashfs lines in remastering scripts).

Edit: BTW I'm testing Lenny at the moment and all repositories are active. It works faster than Squeeze on P-II 233Mhz and 96Mb RAM (including Iceweasel).

Edit2: First tests show no problems, Fred. I get wallpaper for user and root, adding bulgarian keyboard layout works, portablesfs in chroot mode for user works, playing videos from user and root works. I will use it two days to see if I can find some problem.

Toni

fredx181

#4179 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Edit2: First tests show no problems, Fred. I get wallpaper for user and root, adding bulgarian keyboard layout works, portablesfs in chroot mode for user works, playing videos from user and root works. I will use it two days to see if I can find some problem.
Ok, thanks, Toni!

Just started testing Jwm version.
Everything ok for porteus-boot, fine job you did without extra module (excuse me, I wanted to make sure if everything turned out right for that)

One thing I noticed when running apt2sfs was the message (xmessage):
I copied below from 'update-menus' because I couldn't reproduce again later.
"Copy all files from /home/puppy/.jwm in $HOME/.jwm and run this script again."
I'm not sure what it's about, no problems further creating the module, btw.
I think you wrote about this earlier but can't remember exactly.

A general thing:
When using full install and trying to drop a .squashfs or .sfs on the desktop icon, the message appears that activating failed but it still shows the yad menu (only item is xterm)
I'd like to fix that later.

I'll continue testing tomorrow.

Fred

saintless

#4180 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Everything ok for porteus-boot, fine job you did without extra module (excuse me, I wanted to make sure if everything turned out right for that)
Thanks for checking! I was sure it works well otherwise I was going to ask you for help with this change.
One thing I noticed when running apt2sfs was the message (xmessage):
I copied below from 'update-menus' because I couldn't reproduce again later.
"Copy all files from /home/puppy/.jwm in $HOME/.jwm and run this script again."
I'm not sure what it's about, no problems further creating the module, btw.
I think you wrote about this earlier but can't remember exactly.
This message is needed because I made mjwm_4.0.0-1_i386.deb and mkjwmmenu_1.0.0-1_i386.deb compatible with standard Debian.
In case $HOME/.jwm/jwm.head is missing (and it will be missing in standard Debian because the user name will not be puppy) you will see xmessage to copy the files from /home/puppy in $HOME/ and start menu-debian, menu-puppy or menu-mjwm again (menu-puppy also needs sh -> bash to work properly). Xmessage window means for some reason you did not have $HOME/.jwm/jwm.head on first run. I can't say why jwm.head was missing but I will try to reproduce it.

No problems to report yet in OpenBox.

Toni