Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Jan 2020, 05:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Multiple package installation/removal with PPM
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 17 of 24 [351 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 23:57    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
Is this a bug or have I done something wrong. Trying to install autopoint. This happens with previous versions too.

Most of the messages in the terminal are OK except the lack of /tmp/pup_event_sizefreem file that will result in failure to calculate required size. However, this file is generated by pup_event_frontend_d and is not related to PPM. Is the file that the freememapplet is reading to show how much storage space you have. Is the applet working for you? If it does and then somehow disappears after you start running ppm_auto, might be related to it. If it does not appear at all is certainly something you did Very Happy
BTW what is the actual ppm fail message that you see (not in the terminal). Is it about not sufficient space?
BTW2 is it happening only with the specific package somehow?

mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan 2015, 07:21    Post subject:  

I just uploaded the "ppm_auto" repo in puppylinux-woof-CE so development can proceed there till/if it's merged with main woof-CE.
Unfortunately the commit history does not do any justice to the project but it should do.
I believe that all the woof-CE members have writes access to it. Please let me know if you have a problem.
As always, patches and pull requests are more than welcome.

If you do not care about development and just want to get the latest, just download the zip file, extract it, click on the make_pet file and find your pet just above the "ppm_auto" folder. Remember that if you are running a puppy with a woof build earlier than 2015, you'll also need libstardust for proper UI display and function.

Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 02:37; edited 1 time in total
stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan 2015, 08:06    Post subject:  

It doesn't do anything just hangs!

EDIT: Just checked again = all is well. After a remaster and restart, cleared the junk.
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 06:31    Post subject:  

Tried ppm_auto-1.1.pet

1) Serious bug in Tahr 6.0/6.0.1 and Slacko 5.9: When resizing columns, e.g Package|Description, the system freezes. Sometimes immediately, sometimes several actions are necessary to bring the system to a halt, but sooner or later it will. The double horizontal arrow cursor remains visible and movable, but otherwise mouse/keyboard are dead. Fortunately the power button on my machine works.....

2) Resizing has another nasty side-effect: When the user is finished with resizing and releases the mouse button, the first item in the tree will automatically be entered into the "Packages to install" list. Likewise when the columns in the Install list are resized, the first item will be deleted from the list. There obviously was a good reason to set the column-resizable attribute to false in previous GUIs, but the real problem is that actions for tree items are bound to the button-release event, which triggers events even when the user has no intention to do so. Just clicking into free space of the Install list will remove the first item, which is very annoying as there is no history and the user - if the notices the loss at all - may not remember what he placed into the list and from which repo he selected it.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 06:51    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
Tried ppm_auto-1.1.pet

1) Serious bug in Tahr 6.0/6.0.1 and Slacko 5.9: When resizing columns, e.g Package|Description, the system freezes. Sometimes immediately, sometimes several actions are necessary to bring the system to a halt, but sooner or later it will. The double horizontal arrow cursor remains visible and movable, but otherwise mouse/keyboard are dead. Fortunately the power button on my machine works.....

I can not reproduce that and I did try for few minutes.
May be the result of 2 below though. What is the first package and do you run a frugal with savefile (limited) or savefolder? Ie does also triggers no sufficient space events?

Latter: I can not reproduce that in Slacko 5.9.3 (after several more tries) but in Tahr is 100%. Twisted Evil As soon as you resize the columns everything freezes, but the mouse with the double arrow.

MochiMoppel wrote:
2) Resizing has another nasty side-effect: When the user is finished with resizing and releases the mouse button, the first item in the tree will automatically be entered into the "Packages to install" list. Likewise when the columns in the Install list are resized, the first item will be deleted from the list. There obviously was a good reason to set the column-resizable attribute to false in previous GUIs, but the real problem is that actions for tree items are bound to the button-release event, which triggers events even when the user has no intention to do so. Just clicking into free space of the Install list will remove the first item, which is very annoying as there is no history and the user - if the notices the loss at all - may not remember what he placed into the list and from which repo he selected it.

These are indeed issues (though nasty may be too heavy).
Unfortunately I do not think I can do much with gtkdialog and zigbert may have other priorities at the time. Do you have a solution (other than setting resize to false)? PPM_auto is in github now and patches are more then welcome.

zigbert

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 07:30    Post subject:  

I have pulled a request (not direct write access) to woof for bug 2.
666philb

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 08:14    Post subject:  

hi zigbert

could you post a pet here as well

thanks

mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 09:45    Post subject:  

zigbert wrote:
I have pulled a request (not direct write access) to woof for bug 2.

I fixed your write access. Should be OK now.
However, after I pulled the change and made a pet, it now freezes also in slacko 5.9.3 Sad

@666philb as mentioned above, just download the repo, expand and click on the make_pet.sh script. Will make the pet.

In the mean time tried to get some logs from the freze in Tahr 6.0. There is nothing in kernel log and xerrs.log, however looking at the pkh_chooser.sh output where gtkdialog is also called with the --debug option, is freezes at
Code:
          <hbox space-expand="true" space-fill="true">
            <tree column-resizeable="true|false" space-expand="true" space-fill="true">
              <label>Package|Description</label>
              <variable>TREE1</variable>
              <width>210</width>
              <input file icon-column="1">/tmp/petget/filterpkgs.results.post</input>
              <action signal="button-release-event">add_item</action>
              <action signal="button-release-event">refresh:TR

!!!
No output after that. Looks like that everything froze Confused

Latter: The abrupt ending of the log file is a result of the debug flag of gtkdialg Confused It is not related to the freeze.
Anybody knows where gtkdialog write its debug output or if it can be made to log somewhere specifically?

mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 10:37    Post subject:  

I have inactivated resizing till a proper solution can be found.
Bellow is a pet that should behave OK.

What is confusing me is that resizing of both the "packages to install" and "uninstall" works fine Confused
ppm_auto-1.2_2101.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  ppm_auto-1.2_2101.pet 
Filesize  67.92 KB 
Downloaded  169 Time(s) 

zigbert

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 13:41    Post subject:  

I tested in Tahr, and if I removed the resize-column tag, it works nice. The tag is not required. Something seems to have happened to gtk2
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 14:46    Post subject:  

zigbert wrote:
I tested in Tahr, and if I removed the resize-column tag, it works nice. The tag is not required. Something seems to have happened to gtk2

Tried that before setting the value to "false" because the other frames do not have this tag, but kept crashing. I wander if X driver might have a role too Confused

Latter: Tried it again in a VM hosted on an older 32bit iron.
1.1 works in slacko and crashes in Tahr.
Using the git latest without the resize-column tag, crashes in both.
any idea why the other 2 frames (to be installed and uninstall) resize fine without the tag?

Regarding gtk, Tahr has 2.30.7 and slacko 2.28.2 that might be a factor. I'll check older Slacko/Precise versions and see.

Bit Latter Precise (gtk 2.26.1) fails immediately with 1.1 or 1.2 without the tag.
Slacko 5.7 (gtk 2.26.1) OK with 1.1, fails after few tries with 1.2 without the tag. Fails immediately with 1.2 with the tag set to "true|false"
Racy (!) 5.5 -gtk 2.22.1 is identical to slacko 5.7.

So it would appear that gtk version is not a major factor.
It would also appear that addition of the 'hover-selection="true" selection-mode="1" ' in the tree tags makes things worse though it solves the "auto"-selection. Finally the 'column-resizeable="true|false"' tag appears to be catastrophic.
So for now the 'column-resizeable="false"' should do.

Hmmm, maybe the gtkdialog code needs to be looked at a bit. Anyone communicates with thunor?...

Even latter I even tried it in Fedora 21 (!!) because they have a gtkdialog-debuging package. It crashed upon resizing to the point that the VM would not reboot Evil or Very Mad

mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 12:35    Post subject:  

It would appear that the changes introduced to avoid package selection when clicking on the "to be installed" tree introduced another problem.
They break "step by step" installation as the TREE1 variable is not passed anymore to installpreview.sh Confused

On another note, Tahr puppy appears to ignore the "false" value on resize-column tag, so it still allows resizing and then it freezes. Slacko on the other hand behaves as expected (though still fails in step-by-step)

mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 17:17    Post subject:  

Reworked installwindow.sh script and now step-by-step installation is fine.
The pet below should be OK.
Unfortunately the "resize column freeze" remains in Tahr (Slacko is fine).
ppm_auto-1.2_2201.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  ppm_auto-1.2_2201.pet 
Filesize  67.83 KB 
Downloaded  141 Time(s) 

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 09:29    Post subject:  

Trying to do some debuging on the "resize freeze" issue it would appear that this is due to the fact that resizing triggers 2 simultaneous add_item functions!
If you inactivate the add_item function (adding a spurious command at its start) resizing has no effect what so ever!
Sigmund?...

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 15:04    Post subject:  

The attached version 1.3 of the PPM_auto pet should not have the "freeze during resize" bug and still allow column resizing without adding or removing packages inadvertently during the process.
Other bugs are possible though Rolling Eyes so please test.

Edit: version 2401 reinstates column resizing in Slacko too.
ppm_auto-1.3_2401.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  ppm_auto-1.3_2401.pet 
Filesize  67.87 KB 
Downloaded  184 Time(s) 

Page 17 of 24 [351 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: