How to disable screensaver while using Gxine?

Booting, installing, newbie
profolio

How to disable screensaver while using Gxine?

#1 Post by profolio »

In Puppy 2.12 whenever I watch a movie using Gxine after a while
the screen goes blank (screensaver) which is kind of annoying when you have to press a key to resume playing every so often.
Is there a way to prevent this...? I could'nt find anything in the preferences that alluded to a solution.
Thanks.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Are you sure its the screensaver and not just the monitor going to sleep.

I had this problem years ago when I first started with PC's then I was informed that the monitor could go to sleep.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Yes, it's the monitor going to sleep. But, I don't recall having this problem with older versions of Gxine.

Pence

#4 Post by Pence »

My monitor would go blank (sleep) during long slide shows with GTKSee . Someone told me to click Menu=>Control Panel=>Gxset X settings=>Screensaver...then unpick DPMS (Energy star).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

In 2.12 my monitor shuts off while I'm playing mp3 files unless I go to Menu -> Control Panel -> Gxset X settings, select the Screen saver tab and uncheck enable screen saver. I don't know that I'd consider this a bug, more like an unfortunate choice of default settings. :) My gripe is, the setting isn't saved. I have to do it each time I reboot.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

you could put this line in /root/.xinitrc, before exec $CURRENTWM, to disable the screensaver

xset s off

or right click the gxine icon on the desktop to edit /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer, and put that line in that file, like this:

#!/bin/sh
xset s off
exec gxine "$@"

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

GuestToo, will this permanently disable the screen saver? I want the screen saver to come on automatically after a long period of no activity, just not when I'm watching a movie or listening to something. :shock:

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

yes, it turns the screen saver off

you could put this in defaultmediaplayer:

#!/bin/sh
xset s off
gxine "$@"
xset s on

which should disable the screensaver when gxine runs, and re-enable it when gxine shuts down

you can set the inactivity time if you like ... for example, run the screen saver after 600 seconds (10 minutes) of inactivity:

xset s 600

30 minutes:

xset s 1800

again, you can put the commands in /root/.xinitrc (it won't work in rc.local), or put the commands in defaultmediaplayer

i don't know why the gui doesn't save the changes

man page:
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/xset.1.html

profolio

re Gxine

#9 Post by profolio »

Thanks for the replies.
As usual, a wealth of solutions and info

Eyes-Only

#10 Post by Eyes-Only »

Now that's interesting: The Gx Settings GUI saves my settings without any problems at all. Odd that it seems to not be saving for others. I don't recall if it worked in 2.02 but it has from 2.10 and up. Now in Grafpup it never did.

Fluxbox, JWM, and IceWM likewise load the Gx.sh file (or whatever it's called) from my /root directory where I save it. The only one that doesn't is my desktop environment Xfce, but that doesn't bother me as it only takes a second to disable the screensaver and then turn on Mark's Puppy Screensaver instead. (Love those desktop waves! So don't the grandkids!)

In all of my distros I have the DPMS turned off by default in the Xorg.conf file. I hate it when the LCD monitor goes -snap!- as it shuts off. I don't mind it going blank, I just don't care for the power going off. :(

That's my 2 pieces of wampum anyway.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
(P/s: Howdy Profolio!! ;) )

davek7

Screensaver

#11 Post by davek7 »

How do you set up the screensaver?

setecio

#12 Post by setecio »

bookmarked